Customer Discussions > Music forum

British Invasion's "Heaviest " Band?.... The Dave Clark Five

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 168 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 18, 2009 11:42:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 18, 2009 11:43:28 AM PDT
Godfather says:
Xm underground 59 plays a lot of this band. These guy's really rocked. Lead singer had awesome "Rock & Roll voice"...Mike Smith ...who recently passed away after becoming handicapped in accident a few years back. Some great music...Hidden Gems... Looking for comments on the DC5!

Posted on Sep 18, 2009 12:34:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 18, 2009 12:35:30 PM PDT
ED S. says:
The DC 5, even as they were called back in the 60's, were awesome and just yesterday the song "Bits And Pieces" was going through my mind at work. I do not think they played their instruments during the early or all the recording sessions.
We also have to remember that they were embraced by the 'tweens' and were marketed accordingly.
I would not call them heavy as ballads like "Because" and "Catch Us If You Can" gave them a softer side. I just love the singles and I have heard some of the album cuts and, like many albums from all eras, some of it is good and some not so.

Favorite single..."Glad All Over"............'because your miiiiiiiiiine!!!!'

When it comes to 'British Inavasion' heavy...I'd have to give that to the blues inspired 'Animals', with Eric Burdon,of course.

Posted on Sep 18, 2009 12:44:59 PM PDT
That rhythm was absolutely stomping! Any Way You Want It is one of the most intense records ever made. Another one I love is You Got What It Takes - again the stomping rhythm, some very hot brass, a bassline stolen from Otis Redding and on top of it all, Mike Smith's howl.
True the DC5's albums left a lot to be desired, their lyrics could be called "inane," and even the great singles are barely enough to fill one CD. But that handful of gems ... incredibly heavy.

Posted on Sep 18, 2009 1:33:53 PM PDT
MarcTheKing says:
Ed. S- You said it...the Animals were truly the heaviest around. The Kink's and Stones shook things up, but no one could beat Eric Burdon's scream!

Posted on Sep 18, 2009 2:33:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 19, 2009 3:48:56 PM PDT
doodah man says:
DC5 were a likeable band to me in the 60's, but I have in the past couple of years developed a renewed interest in them. Purchased "Dave Clark 5 -The Hits" and listen to it frequently.

My interest in a lot of the "British Invasion" bands included "The Honeycombs", whose popular song "Have I the Right" also featured that 'foot stomping' sound featured in DC5's "Bits and Pieces". In fact, the Honeycombs are credited with being the first band to use that sound, creating it by having a recording mic placed inside a wooden box which was then stomped on to the beat.
I'm not sure who really did it first, as "Bits & Pieces" came out in Feb. '64, and "Have I the Right" hit the charts in June '64.

I also got on an "Animals" kick in the late 90's and went out and got all their stuff. The Animals had a bit more rawness and soul to their music to my ears, although for the longest time I thought DC5's "You Got What it Takes" was from a black band. It's that growly voice of Mike's I guess.

Great talent, too bad they couldn't go on playing and touring together. Due in part to the fact that Dave Clark ran the band as a business of which he was the CEO, and all of the band members were hired and paid as session players. This meant that all writing credits went to DC as a coauthor, and the other band members received no royalties from songs. When Mike Smith toured with his solo career, he was not allowed reference to his part with the DC5, and had to say stuff like "here's a song you might recognize" and played all of HIS songs basically as 'cover' songs.

I heard rumours that DC didn't actually play drums on many tracks, and that in the live concert appearances there was a drummer 'behind the curtain' that actually played the drums, while Dave 'Milli Vanilli'd' it onstage with the drums.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2009 4:16:26 PM PDT
stevign says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2009 4:45:24 PM PDT
onsenkuma says:
Godfather,
As a kid I quite liked DC5. But IMHO The Animals were the 'heaviest' of the original British Invasion bands. Eric Burdon had one soulful voice, and in between Alan Price's great keyboard runs and that rock solid rhythm section these guys could really groove.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2009 4:53:49 PM PDT
Kevin Bold says:
They certainly did give the Beatles a run for their money back in the pre-Sgt Pepper days.

But in the long run, they were just one more annoying Brit-pop band, one of many we never heard from again after "Sgt. Pepper" came out.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2009 4:58:44 PM PDT
Kevin Bold says:
Thanks.

Every band you mentioned is way better than the Dave Clark Five.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2009 5:02:33 PM PDT
Dee Zee says:
I've always liked the Dave Clark 5, my fav is their cover of "I Like It Like That" one of the shortest singles but packs punch still today. I have the 2 CD compilation that came out about 14 years ago. I believe it's out of print and gets big bucks. Why doesn't Clark keep a greatest hist CD in print?

Posted on Sep 18, 2009 5:16:37 PM PDT
Dee Zee

re: DC5 greatest hits in print

I have the same one you have. Early on, when cd's first came out, I got a Japan pressing DC5 vs Peter and Gordon. My question would be, why did he wait so long to put the cd out? He missed the bandwagon. And we still have no original DC 5 Lp's on Cd.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2009 5:21:15 PM PDT
The Troggs rocked hard-

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2009 6:04:57 PM PDT
stevign says:
Kevin

Revolver, Rubber Soul, and then with the rocket propelled Sgt. Peppers, it was clear that they were now a heavy band and no longer a mere Pop band from England.

I leave now to do penance for forgetting them. I shall put on "A Day in the Life" and begin my self-flagellation.

While I'm gone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uwvBizKAwc

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2009 6:19:02 PM PDT
Glen Kepic says:
I LOVED The Dave Clark Five !!!

"Bits And Pieces" does bring a certain amount of Heavy to the party.
Was always a bit sorry for guitarist Lenny Davidson though. Most Lead type parts went to Mike's Vox Continental, Lenny chiming away a his Strat.

But that was part of the DC5 sound and I thought it was great.

Anyone remember a Crown records release with a tune called John Law on it? i seem to recall it being a instrumental that was pretty good. Heck, I think I was 8 at the time ('65) and later gave the record away.

RIP Mike Smith - You were really the heart and soul of this band.

Posted on Sep 18, 2009 6:20:12 PM PDT
kevvers says:
oh man, the DC5? i had their 45's. the only albums i bought were the Beatles and The Stones at the time. Anybody get into The Zombies? She's Not There, Tell Her No..on Parrot Records I believe. What a renaissance that British Invasion started, the music scene was rich. unlike the crap they're trying to pass on to the kids as music now... didn't The DC5 have a movie as well, or was that Gerry and The Pacemakers?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2009 6:21:07 PM PDT
Dee Zee says:
Joe, yeah the History of the DC5 1994, 15 years ago. Due for a remastering although it's not something I listen to everyday. Another great thing about the DC5 is they were on TV a lot. I understand Clark is very weathly, he owns a lot of old UK TV shows like Ready Steady Go. But I really think they should have a greatest hits out on one CD.

Posted on Sep 18, 2009 7:12:09 PM PDT
doodah man says:
From what all are saying, there isn't a greatest hits 'CD', and I noticed everything DC5 on Amazon is pretty pricey.
Not plugging iTunes, but...

There IS a 28 song greatest hits download of DC5 on iTunes for a very reasonable $12. That's the one I got, and I like it quite a bit.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2009 7:39:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 18, 2009 7:46:01 PM PDT
ED S. says:
stevign...
I luv ya and you know it...but except for the Kinks, the other bands you listed are not 'British Invasion Bands', rather they are post invasion Brit Rockers. The principal member of 'Traffic',Steve Winwood, came from the Invasion band 'The Spencer Davis Group'.
Now "Gimme Some Lovin'", stevign

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2009 7:51:05 PM PDT
DKPete says:
ED S..your statement that they didn't play their own instruments got me very curious as they are one of my favorite bands (?) from that time period. I went on a number of websites to try and find some definitive info on this but couldn't come up with anything substantial. One site DID offer a fan's logically thought out opinion ultimately stating that they absolutely DID play on their recordings. Anyone with any further info on this? By the way, I agree on The Animals (and they undisputably DID play on all their records!!).

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2009 7:51:07 PM PDT
stevign says:
ED:

re: "the other bands are not 'British Invasion Bands',"

Fair point, maybe one could say they were the second wave.

re: "Now "Give Me Some Lovin'", stevign"

Sure, put this on:

http://www.guitar.com/uploaded/profile_images/forum_e3cf272e_Body%20condom.jpg

Of the "Second Wave" I left out one of my all-time favs: HEADS, HANDS & FEAT.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2009 8:14:45 PM PDT
DarSue says:
Yes, the DC5 did have a movie come out, similar in theme to the Beatles' A Hard Day's Night. Over here in the U.S., it went by the title: Having a Wild Weekend. It featured the song "Catch Us if You Can."

Love the Zombies! And I agree that most music is crap, nowadays.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2009 8:15:13 PM PDT
DarSue says:
Yes, the DC5 did have a movie come out, similar in theme to the Beatles' A Hard Day's Night. Over here in the U.S., it went by the title: Having a Wild Weekend. It featured the song "Catch Us if You Can."

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2009 8:16:10 PM PDT
DarSue says:

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2009 8:16:18 PM PDT
DarSue says:

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2009 8:16:26 PM PDT
DarSue says:

‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Song Game...10 songs where.... 4822 10 minutes ago
Short but impactful careers in music 26 10 minutes ago
Musical Mt. Rushmore 32 27 minutes ago
Top Artists on iPod Device? 29 38 minutes ago
Most compelling line in a song. 2626 1 hour ago
The Music Of Our Lives 6367 1 hour ago
Favorite 2014 Albums? 174 2 hours ago
What Are You Listening To? (Volume Three) 4049 3 hours ago
Who Ruled the 70's: The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac or Steely Dan? 492 8 hours ago
Christmas Playlists! 28 9 hours ago
Long Careers in Music 41 9 hours ago
Your favourite novelty songs 101 14 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  40
Total posts:  168
Initial post:  Sep 18, 2009
Latest post:  May 11, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions