Customer Discussions > Music forum

Where are the fiddlers?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 31, 2012 7:42:31 PM PDT
In the late 60s, early 70s some fiddlers became involved in rock, primarily Dave Swarbrick, Richard Greene and Jerry Goodwin. There were also those who worked with Zappa (Sugarcane Harris and Jean-Luc Ponty).

After that, nobody was much interested. Any thoughts?

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 7:55:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2012 7:56:38 PM PDT
doodah man says:
There was also this guy in the 70s named David Lindley, played a fine fiddle (among a multitude of other instruments).

As for todays fiddlers, I'm sure they're out there, somewhere.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 7:58:07 PM PDT
Fischman says:
Don't forget Papa John Creach working with Jefferson Airplane.

Today's fiddlers? Hangin' with Michael Flatley, I guess.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 8:02:26 PM PDT
B. Perry says:
DMB has Boyd Tinsley and Mellencamp has a female fiddler. I saw Jean-Luc Ponty w/ Return to Forever last yr, but that's fusion.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 9:39:58 PM PDT
Ric Sanders of today's Fairport Convention is the Jimi Hendrix of the electric fiddle and Chris Leslie who stands on stage with Ric every night is a great fiddler as well. The already mentioned Dave (Swarb) Swarbrick was the inspiration of both of these great bowmen.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 11:01:38 PM PDT
Eddie Jobson's string work should be familiar to fans of Roxy Music, King Crimson, Zappa, U.K., Tull. He was a great keyboardist to boot.

And David Cross's violin graced a couple of King Crimson's greatest albums until his unceremonious sacking before "Red". The intro to "Lark's Tongue In Aspic Part 1" still sends shivers up my spine whenever I listen to it.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 11:59:01 PM PDT
Peter Knight continues to play with Steeleye Span since the 70s.
His solos and instrumental tracks are often Highlights of their albums.
He favors an Octave Violin and occasionally produces a solo album, most recently "Too Late For Shadows" from 2005.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 12:00:22 AM PDT
Lisa Germano

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 3:49:34 AM PDT
S. Stalcup says:
Mindy Jostyn who played on two Hooters releases the first live album and Out of Body (sadly no longer with us).
The Leahy family. I think Donal's the fiddle player there.
Can't recall who played it, but the fiddle MAKES "Fisherman's Blues" by The Waterboys.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 6:14:06 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
Suzie Tyrell plays a mean fiddle for "The Boss!"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 1:30:48 PM PDT
PSW

Someone who knows Fairport is still out there!!! Hurrah!

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 1:31:47 PM PDT
But see how sparse they are?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 1:44:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2012 1:44:56 PM PDT
Mark ~

Everytime Fairport comes over and tours the USA they do it on their own dime and it costs the band plenty of $$$ to conduct a US tour. The last time the five-man lineup of Fairport Convention was seen on these shores was in 2002 and I saw two shows from that tour. In 2005 they were back and Dave (Peggy) Pegg got real sick and the west coast dates were canceled as they returned to England. The last two tours of the states were the smallish Fairport-Trio of Simon Nicol, Ric Sanders & Chris Leslie and certain songs that need Peggy's bass guitar are not in the set any longer (no "Matty Groves") and as I will go and support one of the greatest live touring bands that ever was and will ever be...It's a shame that Peggy and Gerry don't come over to America anymore.

Ric, has seen me sitting there watching the show so many times that he always walks up and says hello and he remembers my name. Chris, is another guy in the band I'll always bother at gigs and he is one of the nicest guys on the planet to talk to. I still miss Maart as he was fun at the bar after gigs (and so was Peggy!) but, if it takes another five to ten years I know they will return because THERE ARE fans still in the USA shouting for them to visit our shores.

Oh, yeah Ric Sanders is a COSMIC fiddler....

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 2:44:23 PM PDT
MarcoVG4 says:
Bridget Regan

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 3:39:11 PM PDT
Music Lover says:
don't forget Charlie Daniels-he gave the fiddle it's most popular notice in years with The Devil Went Down to Georgia. He even recenlty got a Geico commercial because of his fiddling

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 5:44:38 PM PDT
I'm a big Fairport fan - I saw them a bunch of times before I moved from NJ to Colorado 5 years ago (they don't make it out here, sadly) - I bought their new album at the last concert I saw before I moved (2006's "Sense of Occasion), and I thought that was the full lineup? Can't honestly remember, as I've seen them several times with and without drummer and bassist . . . I did run into fiddler Ric Sanders in the bathroom at a church I saw them in once!
Outside the British folk-rock scene, don't forget Kansas - Robby Steinhardt's fiddle was an important part of their special sound!
I never got into the Irish folk(punk)-rock scene as much as the British folk-rock, but maybe the Pogues, Flogging Molly, Young Dubliners, etc. have fiddle? I honestly don't know.
Gentle Giant was another prog band that frequently used violin, although I wouldn't call it "fiddle"!
The Scandinavian/European metal scene seems to be following in the footsteps of the late 60s British rock scene, with progressive,classical, and folk influences being brought in (sometimes to rather extreme death metal). The Finnish band Turisas has a fiddler (Olli Vanska) who plays all the leads in place of a lead guitarist! (Check out the song "In The Court of Jarisleif" by them on Youtube - it's a pretty cool fiddle/accordian jam! Note they have a lot of death metally vocals on other songs, so check out more of their stuff before buying them if that's not your bag). Finnish polka-metallers Korpiklaani, Norwegian folk-metal band Lumsk (who has lovely, non-death-metal, female vocals) and Swiss Celtic-extreme-metal band Eluveitie also have fiddle players, while other folk-metal bands (Asmegin, Alestorm, Cruachan, and Waylander) will use session fiddlers.
Blackmore's Night, who are closer in style to Fairport and Steeleye Span, often employ a fiddle player, too. If you like classic British folk-rock you should definitely give Blackmore's Night a listen - it's founded by Deep Purple guitarist Ritchie Blackmore, and vocalist Candace Night belongs up there with Sandy Denny and Maddy Prior! It's mainly acoustic-leaning, Renaissance influenced folk-rock.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 5:46:09 PM PDT
Fred Hunter says:
On the roof.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 5:12:31 AM PDT
Randy says:
Not exactly rock, but I'm listening to a singer-songwriter-fiddler right now, Carrie Rodriguez. Her album, She Ain't Me, is really good.

Another singer-songwriter-fiddler, Amanda Shires, is my favorite new artist. Her album Carrying Lightning was one of the best of 2011 IMO. She can also be heard on recent albums by Todd Snider, Justin Townes Earle and Jason Isbell.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 5:51:48 AM PDT
With the crabs.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 7:27:07 AM PDT
stevign says:
re: "There was also this guy in the 70s named David Lindley"

And is still around but still flying under the radar. As you probably know, Lindley is extremely talented and though the term is often over-used, he is constantly described by other musicians as a "musician's musician". I was fortunate enough to see him play (with Hani Naser) in some small clubs a few times during the late 90s. He was fantastic......and funny too.
As for playing the violin, he didn't when I saw him, it just didn't fit the style he was into at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xaT8jPbp7I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xlV6oBr_Yw&feature=related

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 7:38:46 AM PDT
stevign says:
The violin has never been all that popular among Rock groups; bands like It's A Beautiful Day were more the exception than the rule. If one wants to here some good fiddle playing with rockish flavors, Zydeco and Tex-Mex would be well worth investigating.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 7:43:31 AM PDT
Hinch says:
Wasn't Lisa the original fiddler for Mellencamp?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 8:05:54 AM PDT
Hinch says:
I saw Charlie a few times in the early seventies as opening act for The Marshall Tucker Band before the CDB became well known outside of TN. They were a blues band in those days, playing songs like Stormy Monday. One country song they did play was Orange Blossom Special but instead of a fiddle, Charlie played his guitar with a bow. I don't remember seeing him play the fiddle until they became more country based.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 8:19:25 AM PDT
Hinch says:
Jazz-rock band The Flock used a fiddle. Also SeaTrain and Goose Creek Symphony. I don't think anyone has mentioned ELO. Does anyone remember Sopwith Camel who had the hit 'Hello Hello' in the sixties? I saw them live in the early seventies. Strange band but they used a fiddle. If I'm not mistaken, the lead singer played it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 11:59:07 AM PDT
stevign says:
The Flock had a helluva violinist as I recall. I never cared for their music but he was good.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  33
Initial post:  Oct 31, 2012
Latest post:  May 23, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions