Customer Discussions > Music forum

Prince vs. Michael Jackson

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 173 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 27, 2010 1:45:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 27, 2010 11:40:40 AM PDT
Both popular as adults in the same era .Michael of course in the 60s as a child in the Jackson five. But in the 80s they were very popular worldwide with white and black audiences .They were breakthrough black artists who overcame the black R&B label. They played funky pop music. They both have rabid fans who love and defend them no matter what.

Both are excessive, over the top and also sensitive. Both use sex and are a-sexual. Both gifted and talented.Both eccentric reclusive odd withdrawn superstars.Both great songwriters ,collaborators,and producers. Prince the more diverse musician over time and he can play any instrument.Jackson the better dancer and he is more widely popular. But still similar in so many ways. Great entertainers,singers, and icons.

So who do you like better? Prince or Michael Jackson? For me Prince.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2010 2:15:58 AM PDT
Jean Choremi says:
And by far!

Posted on May 27, 2010 6:08:22 AM PDT
Lonely Bird says:
You've got to be kidding. There is no comparison between the two, either musically or in fame. It is true each has their own dedicated fans, as does every other entertainer on the planet, but we will have to wait until Prince dies to see if his death basically shuts down the internet and stops the whole world in its tracks as Michael Jackson's did. Somehow I don't think it will. Not that many people in the world will know or care, and there is unlikely to be the months long wall-to-wall coverage for Prince in all forms of media that there has been for Michael Jackson. There are thousands of musicians of Prince's calibre in the world. There is only one Michael Jackson.

Posted on May 27, 2010 6:38:30 AM PDT
Jevrick says:
If MJ was more popular, it's because he was a much safer, less risque artist who appealed much more to the masses--including the elementary school crowd and older adults--than Prince did. MJ had a wider fan base so his sales numbers were greater. As an artist, Prince was much more bold. He didn't compromise himself, yet he could still have widespread appeal when he wanted to. Sometimes he paid the price for his adventures (and a few misadventures) but at least he did it his way.

No, there are not thousands of musicians of Prince's caliber. There aren't many who can play so many different instruments and be so good at all of them. Prince is an underrated guitarist. That was apparent during his RORHOF induction ceremony, and that wasn't even his best performance.

To say that MJ was a better dancer is a matter of opinion. I've seen many performances of MJ where he looked stiff, as if arthritis was taking over him or something. Probably too many painkillers. MJ relied too much on his troupe for visuals. Prince might not be known specifically for his dancing, but he's no slouch onstage. He's a very relaxed, carefree and energetic performer. Prince wins hands down.

Posted on May 27, 2010 6:48:35 AM PDT
YANA Girl says:
MJ had lupus which can bring about arthritis, so don't go blaming it on painkillers. Sheesh the amount of bs speculation on Michael is ridiculous. If you aren't sure of something then check it out rather than making a guess. Anyway, I never saw any video where Michael looked stiff so if he was suffering he hid it very well. As for the troupe for visuals, that is coregoraphy and most of us really don't even notice his backup dancers. Our eyes are glued to MJ and no one else on stage.

Comparing the 2 artists is like comparing an apple with an orange. They both have their talents and they both have their ways of performing. It is basically just a matter of preference and I prefer Michael Jackson.

Posted on May 27, 2010 7:02:05 AM PDT
Jevrick says:
Well thanks YANA for your very informative lesson and educational instruction. Will there be a quiz on this subject? If lupus can bring on arthritis, then it's not really bs, is it? If you would read what I wrote, you would see that I was being speculative.

Posted on May 27, 2010 7:20:05 AM PDT
YANA Girl says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on May 27, 2010 7:26:05 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 21, 2011 9:20:23 AM PDT]

Posted on May 27, 2010 7:36:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 27, 2010 9:54:41 PM PDT
Long story short, both were / are incredible artists who made a great impact.
MJ was part of my childhood musical development in his J5/Jacksons era.
His voice as a kid was the first voice I emulated and it won me my 3rd grade
talent show with "Got To Be There" and "I Wanna Be Where You Are".
Of course there were many other artists who were influential to me as well.
Prince came along after I had been playing keyboards, guitar and bass for
4 years already in 1978. His rebellious outsider/ loner / trendsetter vibe
fit me to a tee! He didn't give a FUNK!! (-:
Prince appealed to the musician and renegade in me!
Prince didn't bother to explain himself to people and shunned interviews.
This drew people into his music, trying to figure him out.
Just when they thought they had him pegged, he'd zig-zag
and come from the left on your azz!
MJ's relationship with the media was always a sticky situation to say the least!
Especially after "Thiller".....Prince just did his thing and kept the media at bay.
Sometimes when you say the least you say the most! (-;
It seemed that from 1979 to 1987, Prince and I were writing in the
same diary with some of his lyrical and musical ideas.
MJ knocked me out when he came with "Off The Wall" in late '79.
That was a killler album in it's day!
Even though I loved "Thriller" and liked "Bad"....
to me "Off The Wall" was his best! IMHO
From 1979-87, Prince could do no wrong to me! (-:
I saw both of them live several times in their prime...both were
awesome talents in their own way. Owned the stage & the audience.
They both admired each other's work immensely, even though they both
were very competitive with each other.
Remember, the ill-fated 50 sold out dates at the 02 Arena in London
which was going to spark the "This Is It!" tour were MJ's determined attempt
to outdo Prince's very successful sold-out "21 Nights" at the 02 Arena! (-:
After "Bad", I took MJ on a per song basis....
After Sign O' The Times, I took Prince on a per song basis.
That year was 1987.
I owe both of them an huge debt for their inspiration which,
along with some other great artists, led me to choose music as a
career and gave me a beautiful life!--Thanks guys! (-:

Posted on May 27, 2010 8:01:56 AM PDT
Mis V. says:
I was always a MJ fan and always will be. I first saw prince on vhs in the movie Purple rain. It was great!! From there, I wondered Hummm! Since they have some of the same style, how would their music sound if they collaborated songs together?? You can correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't know of anything. MJ's Dirty Diana is difinitely a prince style. I would have liked to see them do that song together. Better yet, I would have loved it on dvd WOW!! I think if anyone in the music industry had produced just one collaboration of songs with MJ/Prince performing together live in concert on dvd, we could have watched it and made a better decision.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2010 8:20:57 AM PDT
What do you mean there are NO comparison? They are BOTH feminine as hell.

Posted on May 27, 2010 8:49:32 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
James Brown...

Posted on May 27, 2010 8:51:13 AM PDT
F. E. Green says:
Michael Jackson hands down.

I like some of Prince's songs, basically just 1999 and Purple Rain and a few from the one that had Raspberry Beret on it. After that it was on a song by song basis, up until U Got the Look and then he held no further interest for me. Probably for a few reasons:

1. Personality-- IMHO he was arrogant. He was too good to keep his name? What was that BS with "the artist formerly known as"? Also, he was supposed to sing on We are the World. Never showed up. Couldn't keep his ego at the door?
He wouldnt duet with MJ on Bad song because "he didn't like the lyric.. "you're butt is mine". What, not dirty enough for you Prince? You have to go into the gutter to get a song heard? Prince was also, reportedly a womanizer.

Michael was not arrogant and as has been well reported since his death, was kind to everyone who knew him. His humanitarian efforts are widely underreported because I guess good stuff won't sell as much as garbage. And I have yet to hear that many 'legends' -- Sammy Davis, Frank Sinatra, Fred Astaire, Gene Kelley, etc-- ever hold Prince in as high a regard as MJ, if any at all. Correct me if I'm wrong, but since both were doing their thing at the same time, MJ won out in their minds as being the true genius.

2. Most of Prince's songs are sexually explicit and if you do not like that sort of thing, MJ is the winner hands down. Not afraid to play MJ's music in the car when my kid was small. Can't say that for Prince. He never got played in my house after kids. MJ proves you do not have to sink to low standards of immorality to get a good song out.

Michael wins hands down because he was a musical genius (quoted from others in the music world who know), a loving kind-hearted soul despite the BS laid down on him, and a humanitarian (as proven by his name many times in the Guinnes Book of World Records) What has Prince done for his fellow man, hmmm? Educate me...please.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2010 8:53:05 AM PDT
Jevrick says:
Well said MUZIK... I agree except I'll take Prince from 1980-1988 but hey, what's one year.

Ok YANA, fair enough....but let's keep it Prince vs. MJ. This doesn't need to turn into another MJ apologist thread.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2010 8:53:50 AM PDT
Jevrick says:
Haha U may B right....but...at least they have a gender, which is more than can be said for you, Spiritual Nutcase

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2010 9:04:06 AM PDT
Mis V. says:
I Did not say there was no comparison, you misunderstood my quote... This is a open forum for decision on this topic. Not for insults...

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2010 9:07:18 AM PDT
Mis V. says:
Please elaborate...

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2010 9:19:06 AM PDT
My vote goes to the more effeminate of the two.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2010 10:14:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 27, 2010 10:19:29 AM PDT
club 7 says:
prince is more talented all in all.
he's a producer, arranger,songwriter, multi instrumentalist, dancer, amazing singer.
michael jackson needed quincy jones to make thriller and off the wall as good as they are.
prince did sign o' the times which is a masterpiece practically by himself.
that means he produced, arranged, and performed the album practically by himself with minimal help from outsiders.
plus the music that prince did on that album is more complex.
prince tackles many issues like violence and aids etc and if it was only about sex than that wouldn't be a crime...
i still think thriller and off the wall are great but i just think prince is a more talented all around artist.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2010 10:22:08 AM PDT
Iceblossom says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on May 27, 2010 10:48:46 AM PDT
Lonely Bird says:
(Prince is) " a producer, arranger, songwriter, multi instrumentalist, dancer, amazing singer."

So is Michael Jackson.

Numbers don't lie. Which one has sold more music?

Michael Jackson didn't need Quincy Jones for anything except his experience and connections in the music industry. Most of the time Q wasn't even there when MJ was working. Ask the engineers and the band who did the work on those albums.

Posted on May 27, 2010 11:00:40 AM PDT
Tigerlilly says:

Posted on May 27, 2010 11:08:33 AM PDT
Terry Myers says:
Prince

Posted on May 27, 2010 11:11:02 AM PDT
YANA Girl says:
F.E. Green, I so agree with you and how you worded it is right on. Prince may have been a talented man but he had a very large ego whereas MJ's biggest concern was for others. When admiring an artist, it is not always the music only makes me appreciate them. It is also their character.

As for them being feminine, it is funny. Even before I became an admirer/fan of MJ's I never once thought him as being feminine. I did think that of Prince though, although I now see otherwise. If you want to talk about looks alone, to me, Michael was definitly the more handsome of the two. Talent wise, as F.E.Green said, the attention was on Michael by other well known celebrities, such as Sammy Davis Jr. and Fred Astaire. They never once said a thing about Prince.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2010 11:17:43 AM PDT
Nancy - "Numbers don't lie. Which one has sold more music?"

Does that mean you prefer Elvis and The Beatles to MJ?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  59
Total posts:  173
Initial post:  May 27, 2010
Latest post:  Nov 25, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions