Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Music forum

Lynyrd Skynyrd - ZZ Top

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 49 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 27, 2013 10:09:17 AM PST
Both are/were great bands. ZZ Top is my preference overall, but it is hard to beat some of the original Lynyrd Skynyrd's songs/albums..My personal favorites:
ZZ Top: Tres Hombres (the whole album from beginning to end)
Deguello (the whole album)
Lynyrd: Pronounced (leh-nerd skeh-nerd) (fav songs Tuesday's Gone and Gimme 3 Steps)
Two awesome, guitar-driven, blues-based rock n roll bands that can come to my party anytime!!

Posted on Nov 27, 2013 4:46:12 AM PST
Sharptop says:
I like both, but the "little ole band from Texas" is one of my long time favorite bands. I have nearly all their albums and been on them since their "First Album" when I was stationed in South Texas in 1970 to 1974. Billy Gibbons.....!

I have is a couple Lynyrd Skynyrd greatest hits albums. They have a lot of hits and plenty of very good songs. They do a kick ass version of "Call Me The Breeze", which one of my favorite songs.

Posted on Nov 27, 2013 4:02:15 AM PST
Since I have always liked Skynyrd and never liked ZZ Top, this was a no brainer for me. Skynyrd by a country mile.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2013 9:56:26 PM PST
?

Didn't know that man. Gotta be one funky train.

Posted on Jun 19, 2013 3:36:27 PM PDT
A. Strong says:
I'm glad that ZZ Top always take a train to their gigs.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 11:36:37 PM PST
Wow, thanks for all the detailed info eastrich, very cool. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 4:51:42 PM PST
eastrich2015 says:
anthony,maybe a little. to my ears,the Sword is power doom,while C.O.C. has that southern feel and vibe.Unida is one of the bands John Garcia formed after Kyuss.check out Coping with the Urban Coyote, it came out on the Mans Ruin label in 1999.Awesome stoner hard-n-heavy rock sounds similar to Kyuss.there is also a Swedish band called Dozer,that also sounds similar to Kyuss,only better!Nebula was formed by ex Fu Manchu guitarist Eddie Glass,who plays in a heavy blues rock style.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 8:43:34 AM PST
Glen Kepic says:
Quite Welcome, John.

I love Ed King's playing, too, Anthony. His 'breaks' for "Workin' For MCA" are among my faves ever played on a Stratocaster.
Kinda funny to think he was a HB Gibson player (a Les Paul, i think) before deciding he should switch to a Strat for the sake of the band's sound. He really made the most of that decision.

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 12:44:36 AM PST
Billy Gibbons is a monster to me. Such a great player. His Taste, Tone and Feel is unparallelled when he is on. Such an economical player. But lots to say. Great riffs and songwriting too. I really love Billy. In Skynyryd i love Ed King best. Those first three records especially the second one he really shows up. His tasty style. The harmonics and rockin' chickin' pickin' stuff. Just tasty. Really unknown for what he has contributed.

Rock on John and Glen....

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013 10:16:52 PM PST
Glen,
Thanks, I dig Peter Green also.
John

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013 7:35:28 PM PST
Glen Kepic says:
Welcome to the Forums, John.
We love Peter Green and all as well :)

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 3:09:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2013 10:16:05 PM PST
I love both. ZZ a little bit more.
Billy Gibbons is a great guitar player.
John

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 2:08:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2013 2:14:31 PM PST
Glen Kepic says:
Just watched some of Lynyrd Skynyrd at Winterland, 1975, Full Concert.
Confirmed something i'd know for years,,,Allen Collins was a guitar god. Probably played those solos for The Needle And The Spoon a thousand times before but still played with complete conviction then. DANG!!! Also noticed the Firebird III i thought he'd played for years wasn't,,,looked like a I (2 controls) with an added FB mini hb in the neck slot and a p-90 in the bridge (maybe the same one in First and Last from when he was a kid). No wonder it sounded so good.

The 'Skynyrd guys (Gary and Allen) were only 2 or so years younger than the Rev Billy G but they seemed more in my generation for some reason (b 1957). Maybe that's why i've identified with them more.

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 9:55:28 PM PST
Kyuss is cool. Don't know Unida or Bebula. Deliverance is a classic, to me. Such a great record. Lots of catchy riffs and memorable songs. Love that record. Rock on eastrich2001....

Do you find a similarity between Sword and Corrosion Of Conformity? It's the first thing i thought of when i listened to the Sword for the first time. Still diggin' the record. Kind of a grower.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 3:58:14 PM PST
eastrich2015 says:
Anthony,since you mentioned C.O.C.,do you have Deliverance? Are you into Kyuss and Unida with the awesome John Garcia on vocals? Are you into that heavy stoner power trio Nebula?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 6:03:06 PM PST
Anthony,

Your welcome. I am glad you like it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 1:21:39 PM PST
Daniel E. White,

Just got The Sword Acryphon last night. Blastin' it right now. Really cool. Gotta say they really remind me of Corrosion Of Conformity, but a tighter more focused sound and band. Really rockin'. Thanks bro...

Rock on...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 7:02:22 AM PST
Glen Kepic says:
Thank you for sharing that Concert experience with us, Exile. I remember reading about them performing Freebird that way and thought it was a fitting tribute. To actually experience that Live would have been great.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 6:08:09 AM PST
Working Man says:
Exile, I especially like their last couple of albums "God and Guns" and "Last of a Dying Breed".

If you want to check out a newer band that reminds me of Skynyrd you can try Blackberry Smoke. Their album "Little Piece of Dixie" is a favorite of mine and I just got their latest "Whippoorwill" and I am still getting to know it but it's pretty good too. Another band in the Skynyrd vein is Black Stone Cherry. While Blackberry Smoke is probably more on the country side of Skynyrd, Black Stone Cherry is a little heavier.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 10:23:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 29, 2012 10:26:43 PM PST
Exile says:
Very well said, WM. Skynyrd is one of my all time favorite bands and I have all but ignored their post crash material (although I did catch them live in 1991). You have me thinking I'm missing out on some good stuff.

By the way, when I saw the band live in 1991 it was before they started singing the words to "Free Bird" after reuniting. It was one of the most moving moments I had ever experienced at a concert when they turned off all of the lights except for a single spotlight focused on Ronnie's hat resting atop a microphone stand while the band played "Free Bird" from out of the darkness....no words, just the music...and you could hear Ronnie singing in your head.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 8:28:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 29, 2012 8:29:22 PM PST
Glen Kepic says:
I believe Ronnie's name came up elsewhere, Anthony (45 thread,,,GP thread,,,not sure now) but when Ronnie said "...come sit beside me, my only son..." i believed it when i was a kid. Then found out Johnny and Donnie were waiting in the wings, so to speak. I have absolutely no problem with that.

As far as post crash Skynyrd, sure, i have mixed feelings,,,Ronnie's gone, Allen's gone, Leon's gone, Billy's gone...
Ed King did a co-interview with Gary in the mid '90s for GW then a year or so later, 'the band' denied financial help for surgery that Ed needed (he looks great now, btw,,,saw a sig axe somewhere recently) but i did like the tune "Red, White and Blue" from Viscious Cycle. OK, i bought this on a 4th of July weekend a few years back and don't remember much else from it, but as long as there's Gary Rossington, there should be Skynyrd.
He's 'it' and i'm ok with that.

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 8:04:38 PM PST
Working Man says:
They are a different band since the crash. I was reluctant at first but I feel they still keep the spirit of Lynyrd Skynyrd alive. I have not seen them live since the crash, except for on tv many times, and I think they do justice to the pre-crash material. I also think they've recorded some really good music since. The key is to not compare this band with the pre-crash band and simply accept them for what they are.

Skynyrd today is not for everyone, but I do enjoy them.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 7:02:55 PM PST
Hinch says:
>Havent heard anything by them since the crash. Just didnt see the point<

The surviving members said after the tragedy, they would never use the name Lynyrd Skynyrd again, but eventually they did. At first they used the name Rossington-Collins Band, but soon went back to Lynyrd Skynyrd. Gary Rossington is the only original member still living.

I haven't paid much attention to them since the original band.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 6:57:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 7:02:38 PM PST
Glen, the lyrics to "Simple Man" are just so good, to me, profound. And lost in todays world. The working man philosophy is really gone. I love that song.

If i could write one song with lyrics resembling "Simple Man" or "Was I Right Or Wrong, or the lyrics on many great Bruce songs, or touch the greatness in one line of a Hank Williams song, or a anything approaching the truth of Towns Van Zandt's stuff, i could die then.

Daniel, dude, i just ordered it. I promise to let you know what i think. I'm pretty excited. Dig that Blue Cheer thing they have. Never pulled the trigger on them because the songs never got me. But just on the samples i knew it was for me.

Daniel, did you see The Sword on Anthony Bourdains No Reservations? They seemed really down to earth and musically grounded. They said to him that when they went to Japan opening for Metallica the fans were joyfull, exuberant, and excited, not dour, sour, violent and downbeat, just diggin' the whole thing. Rockin' and heavy but not with a frown. I liked that comment as an observation. Gotta add the whole Japanese digging of heavy music is such a trip. They love the heavy stuff. But also have that Hello Kitty estetic goin' on. A real contradiction that i love. Rock on....

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 6:37:10 PM PST
No contest for me, Skynyrd. Plus I never liked ZZ Top.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  49
Initial post:  Dec 21, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 27, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions