RIP Ravi Shankar

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 12, 2012 12:39:55 AM PST
Ravi Shankar has died at 92 years old.

http://news.msn.com/obits/india-sitar-virtuoso-ravi-shankar-dies

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 1:28:22 AM PST
Hinch says:
Sad news. Ravi was a great and influential musician. R.I.P.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 5:51:30 AM PST
onsenkuma says:
This is a major loss to music. After hearing the sound of the sitar on 'Norwegian Wood' I was intrigued, but it was Harrison's 'Within You Without You' that really opened my ears. So, age 12 in late '67 the first albums I ever got were Country Joe & The Fish 'Electric Music for the Mind and Body' and two Ravi Shankar albums including his Monterey Pop Festival performance...

I don't remember now just what got me to thinking about the man a few months back, but I sought out a couple of box sets of stuff I didn't already have, and a few DVDs (biographic and concert footage). I had the feeling then that I'd soon hear of the passing of yet another musical icon from my younger days...

RIP Ravi Shankar... your divine sound will always resonate...

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 6:54:12 AM PST
S. Stalcup says:
I'll let both of my personalities comment on this:

Hyde first:
I suspect murder. Someone forced him to listen to Norah's records and they bored him to death.
Now Jekkyl:
Without his influence on the likes of The Beatles, The Byrds and the whole of the 1960s counter-culture, music would have been and would be a far less intriguing listen. What an impressive life you lived, sir. Thank you for the music, your own and others, in which you had a hand. (Standing Ovation)

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 7:57:45 AM PST
B L T says:
Thanks for the trips Ravi Shankar.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 8:31:05 AM PST
Dr. Mikey says:
"There was never a past when you did not exist, and there will never be a future in which you will cease to be." Jai Shri Krishna.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 9:16:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2012 9:17:27 AM PST
vivazappa says:
My favorite Shankar story came from a friend who saw him open for George Harrison.
Ravi came out and played a Raga for about a half an hour and everyone politely clapped.
Then he started another and everyone hit the bathrooms and consession stands.
In the end Harrison had a bad night and upon leaving people were talking about how much they enjoyed the first Raga.

RIP Ravi...

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 11:51:11 AM PST
dwood78 says:
Last week Dave Brubeck & now Ravi Shankar. At least both men lived to their 90s. Both men also had kids who also became musicians & in the case Shanakar, daughters Anoushka & Norah Jones.

I can see Brubeck & Shankar doing a jam session with the rest of the departed musicians in the hereafter.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 12:37:33 PM PST
Dr. Mikey says:
I wonder if Brubeck and Shankar ever collaborated. Both were quite talented composers and had the theoretical knowledge to go East or West, or any other musical direction.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 4:19:51 AM PST
Hinch says:
http://youtu.be/Awkl32P2oY0

http://youtu.be/EbqB6uHupVQ

http://youtu.be/V3l9awv1yhA

http://youtu.be/4gWCiLexilY

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 5:37:31 PM PST
M. Chapman says:
To the beautiful Ravi Shankar, Hare Krishna. Your earthly legacy guides us to the blissful place you now inhabit.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 5:59:52 PM PST
Glen Kepic says:
RIP, Ravi Shankar.
I had the World Pacific release of the Monterey '67 performance when i was a kid. Like too many other titles, lost along the way.
That East Indian influence was never forgotten by me though. Helped me appreciate The Mahavishnu Orchestra and Shakti all the more years later.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 6:43:05 PM PST
Severin says:
What would the '60s have sounded like without the sitar? It's always there on any documentary of the period.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 10:21:34 PM PST
Hinch says:
I just bought that Monterey performance on cd a few months ago.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 8:26:43 AM PST
Glen Kepic says:
Cool, Hinch. I gave my copy away when i was younger (a $1.99 overpressing) though i've thought about it over the years.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
The Music Of Our Lives 7024 12 minutes ago
Song Game...10 songs where.... 4970 18 minutes ago
Musical Mt. Rushmore 59 20 minutes ago
What Are You Listening To? (Volume Three) 4093 1 hour ago
What were the Last Five CD's You Purchased...(Be Honest). 4451 1 hour ago
Obamas war on women 1069 2 hours ago
Long Careers in Music 62 4 hours ago
who was john belko? 0 4 hours ago
Pork and the Havana Ducks 151 5 hours ago
Your Favorite Song By . . . 2714 5 hours ago
A Taste of 2014... 1154 6 hours ago
Why Pat Boone is Better than Elvis 305 11 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Dec 12, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions