Customer Discussions > Music forum

Lynyrd Skynyrd - ZZ Top

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 49 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 21, 2012 10:31:41 PM PST
Skynyrd and ZZ Top both great bands. Both have 60's roots. But got their grrove in the 70's. Lots of strong records, playing and songwriting. Both have lasted to today. Both great of similar eras and style.

Florida or Texas?

Who do you love? Skynyrd or Top?

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 3:03:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 3:04:09 AM PST
Johnny Bee says:
Both

The original - was it five - Skynyrd albums and the first six ZZ Top albums are all classics.

However, nowadays I could take or leave 'em (probably leave).

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 3:53:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 3:54:37 AM PST
Working Man says:
Who do I love? Both.

Both were strongest in the 70's and their output from that period was good to great. ZZ Top had some so-so albums in the 80's but have righted themselved somewhat now, though still not quite up to their 70's hey-day. Skynyrd, unlike ZZ Top has gone through a lot fo personel changes and lost a lot of fans loyal to the pre-crash lineups. However, they've continue to make some really good albums. Gods and Guns and Last of Dying Bread are both really good albums.

I think Skynyrd has actually put more consistent albums than ZZ Top and they did not really have an 80's techno/drum machine phase like ZZ Top. I think Skynyrd has stayed more true to their roots even through so many tragedies and changes. In short, I still a big fan of both bands and continue to buy their new stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 8:11:43 AM PST
Johnny Bee says:
WM - A nice, considered, response.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 8:28:09 AM PST
Music Lover says:
I love them both but personally rank ZZ a little higher. I love everything on their first 6 albums. I love chunks of El Loco and Eliminator. they lost me a bit in the late 80's,early 90's but came back strong on Rhythmeen and i've enjoyed their output again since

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 8:37:06 AM PST
Glen Kepic says:
Close one but i'll pick Skynyrd over ZZ.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 9:14:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 3:56:37 AM PST
Hinch says:
I have respect for both but I like Skynyrd more. SECOND HELPING is the only original Skynyrd album I own. Great album! I used to play it a lot. I also own a cd box set I bought a few years ago. I like quite a few of their songs but don't listen to them often.

I don't own any ZZ Top albums. I somewhat liked a couple of songs but was never a fan. All their music sounds the same to me. I saw them live in '75. Got bored and left after a few songs. It's more the limitations of their style of music than their lack of talent. SRV and most blues or blues based music gets boring after a few songs.

Because of the overplay on the radio of Freebird, it's one of the songs, along with Stairway To Heaven, I wouldn't care if I never hear again.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 11:18:57 PM PST
I like but, not love both of their 70s material but nothing after.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 8:56:28 AM PST
Mcnary,

I have noticed that you don't like much of anything after the 70's. Have you listened to The Sword and do you like them?

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 9:08:17 AM PST
Music Lover says:
Daniel-don't mean to interject but I enjoy The Sword though I haven;t bought their latest. My favorite is Warp Riders, how is the most recent?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 2:17:34 PM PST
Daniel-I love the 80s as well as the 70s. Sabbath w/Dio & Gillan, Maiden, Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica(80s only) Queensryche(80s only), King Diamond/Mercyful Fate, Priest(70s material was less commercial but, I love Painkiller, Defenders, Screaming, British Steel etc), Overkill, Sepultura, Van Halen(Fair Warning & Women And Children First), Ozzy w/Randy Rhoads to name a few. 90s to present I love Alice In Chains, Pantera, Slipknot to name a few. Bands who I dont like their output as much as the 70s are AC/DC(Bon Scott is AC/DC), Aerosmith(Sobered up and became a POP band instead of a Hard Rock band), Rainbow(Dio is Rainbow),Rush(Hate everything after Hemispheres), Scorpions(Too commercial after M. Schenker & Uli Roth left), UFO(Some good material but, Michael Schenker is UFO) to name a few.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 3:03:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2012 3:16:40 PM PST
Glen Kepic says:
Gave a short response before. would like to 'expound', if i may.
First, i'm grateful for the chance to see both bands in their prime,,,
Skynyrd, Winterland between the CDB and Marshall Tucker in '74 then July 4th '77, Day On The Green (Frampton headlined),
ZZ, Cow Palace, Tejas Tour, Fall '76.

Got into Skynyrd first. I remember hearing "Simple Man" via KSAN radio while i was getting ready for school like it was yesterday,,,the tuned a half step down A, B, arpeggiated C to G to Am riff then dual leads were in my head all day. Saved up and bought Pronounced as soon as i could. I hear Simple Man on the radio at work almost everyday and still love it.
Have all 'the good stuff' and jam on them frequently (covered '3 Steps' and Simple Man in a band setting). Will probably fire up Pauly (epi LP std) and "Lend a Helpin' Hand" when i'm done here.

ZZ Top,,,first heard them via Tres Hombres, an album a friend had in '74. Bought that then Fandango a year later.
Now, its not La Grange or Tush that i love now from these, its 'Precious And Grace', 'Hot Blue And Righteous' or 'Nasty Dogs and Funky Kings', 'Blue Jean Blues' and 'Mexican Blackbird'. Last tune is special to me,,,only time my Dad opened my door and said "hey, that sounds pretty good" (harmony rocket II, LPB1, borrowed Gibson amp).

'80s ZZ,,,have El Loco, DeGuello and Eliminator...i never play them.
Skynyrd's ready to go,,,like now.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 1:27:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2012 1:28:26 PM PST
Skynyrd! Quite possibly my second favorite band of all time. Being a generation behind I first heard "Gold and Platinum" at around 15 years old in the 80's. I wasn't familiar with southern rock at the time and had no idea I loved that sort of sound.
And wow, WHAT an introduction. What a remarkable amount of great music that band produced in a mere 5 years. Astounding!

ZZ Top....I can take them or leave them. I own a few of their early 70's records like "Fandando" and "Tres Hombres" as well as "Eliminator" and they are good but they just don't have the same appeal to me. Occassionally I'll break them out or "Rancho Texicano" to get my ZZ fix.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 4:46:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 5:32:10 PM PST
Music Lover,

Acryphon is their latest and greatest. This band has gotten better with every album they have made. Warp Riders is an example of how The Sword's song writing matured from their first 2 releases. I think that the production of Acryphon is their best to date. I would never have expected a band in 2012 to be as good as the metal bands of the 70's. I am a fan of speed metal as well but I really like the patient and deliberate style of The Sword. They remind me of Black Sabbath.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 9:32:10 AM PST
zlh67 says:
Glen -- Deguello came out in the 70's (barely): 1979. El Loco was the followup in 1981 and for me anyway, those are my two favorite albums to listen to start to finish. I had a cassette at one point that was called "back to back" and had one album on one side and one on the other and I wore that sucker out back in the day. I like the earlier stuff too, and quite a bit actually, but there's not an individual album prior to Deguello that I love start to finish. Apart from a cut or two, Eliminator was too watered down for me and I haven't checked out much that they've done since.

Skynard... I like plenty of their stuff, but don't love hardly any of it, so have never purchased an individual album. I think I have the Millennium Collection which is pretty skimpy but it has the Skynard cuts I just have to have. That Smell, Gimme Three Steps....

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 9:48:58 AM PST
Working Man says:
I like Deguello, it's an underrated album, but El Loco is not one of my favorites. I like everything up through Deguelo and then it gets spotty. Eliminater has some good songs but is too polished for me. More recently, I like Mescalero and Rhytmeen and just now starting to listen to their latest La Futura, though I have already heard and like four songs that I downloaded as a part of an EP called Texicano. I think their newer stuff is less polished and less 80's sounding.

Skynyrd's post Ronnie Van Zant stuff is different but still pretty good, especially their last two albums as I think I mentioned previously.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 10:53:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 1:09:24 PM PST
Glen Kepic says:
Thanx for the help, zlh67. I should play both of those more.
One i forgot to mention i have is Tejas, not real consistent but has some tunes i like.
Plus it was the album ZZ was touring for when i saw them, so that's also i why i like it.
oh, and First Album, one i bought recently via a rec' from the OP,,,good, it seems (still haven't played it all the way thru yet :)

edit,,,spinning First Album now. ran thru it before...must have been 'jammin' while Blind'.
Sounds great!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 12:21:48 PM PST
Daniel E. White,

I've always been curious but never owned any CD's by The Sword. Just demoed the new one sounded great so i bought it on your rec. Thank. I'm excited to check it out.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 8:52:20 AM PST
vivazappa says:
1-Skynyrd with Ronnie
2-ZZ Top
3-Wham
4-Skynyrd with Johnny

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 4:45:16 PM PST
eastrich2010 says:
Ill take ZZ Top-those early records had a down-n-dirty heavy blues groove.Plus doing the heavy power trio format.It blew my mind when I heard Brown Sugar and found out it was released a year earlier than the Stones song of the same name,with similar lyrical content.What a killer track!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 5:15:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 5:26:16 PM PST
eastrich2001, i really, really dig that track. "Brown Sugar" with that long Lightnin'/Hooker groove intro is so cool. Just greasy funky and low. Then it kicks into a really up ... riff that just rocks it. Such a cool song. I've listened to it over and over.

Billy Gibbons is one of the tastiest players ever to pick up an ax. Just perfect feel, tone and groove. Billy is better than way most. And the Texas thing is all in the band. Blues, Creem, and TBone and Lighnin'. Just a great band by any definition. Boogie on....

That whole first record is great.

Right on east!

I'm always lookin' for that really cool person who saw a great show in the past. Never met anyone who saw The Moving Sidewalks or ZZ in 70 , 71 , 72 time. I'm a cab driver and a lady in my city went to Mission high school here. Her prom band lineup was Santana and Sly and the Family Stone. I almost crashed the cab. My buddy was at Monterey and saw everyone there Hendrix, Who... .
I met a guy when i was working for the Census who saw Hank Williams and knew Bill Monroe in the 40's.
Glen Kepic who commented earlier saw amazing shows. Lots of stuff at Winterland.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 6:01:57 PM PST
Anthony,

Have you received Acryphon? If so, what do you think about it?

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 6:27:14 PM PST
lowriderman says:
Different styles so its hard to compare. ZZtop is kick ass blues based trio (based on their 70's output) didnt care too much for their subsequent work except for a handful of tunes. Too much electronic sound for my taste. Skynyrd was a more full band with twin guitar and piano. Did see Skynyrd live with Freebird as encore when they first came up! Mindblowing! Loved most of their 70's stuff, Gimme back my bullets, I know A Little, That Smell, and many more. Havent heard anything by them since the crash. Just didnt see the point.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 6:29:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 6:31:33 PM PST
Glen Kepic says:
Hi, Anthony.
Yeah, saw some good stuff though i missed a bunch as well, like Cream and Hendrix,,,too young, Trower,,,really no excuse except maybe i was broke at the time.

I know you know '1077 The Bone'. We listen to this station at work and yesterday was first day back on the job after the Holiday.
First tune i heard there was "Simple Man". Helped the 'transition' alot.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 6:37:10 PM PST
No contest for me, Skynyrd. Plus I never liked ZZ Top.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  49
Initial post:  Dec 21, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 27, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions