Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Music forum

Prince vs. Michael Jackson

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 177 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 27, 2010 1:58:49 PM PDT
Tigerlilly says:
Mickey, if anything, Michael fought for the tragic souls trapped between worlds, he helped them find the light and liberation from darkness. How is that for a lesson of the Occult.
Michael had a reason for everything he did. Now I must say he scared the living daylights out of me, when I first saw the Thriller Video, when it first came out, I was just a young teenager. Since then I learned many things, but I can tell you, there is a hidden message in all of the ghostly things he did. I understand it..
Occult is nothing more than the Uncovering of the hidden things in this world. This is what I am about, but this has nothing to do with engaging in devilish things. Honestly.
You need to seek an understanding for these type of things. Before you judge, you have to understand. The world of the dead is just as real as the world of the living.
Michael understood this. Nothing is scary anymore when you face the darkness. Make sure you take a flashlight, though.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2010 1:59:01 PM PDT
FE Green says:
Leave Me Alone video is MJ lashing back at the medialoid BS stories about him. Where's the occult there? All the images are all the stupid stories about him.

Look up the lyrics to the songs on the Blood on the Dance Floor album. Now show me the occult.
Nothing there. Just songs about his pain at the hurtful things done to him by those trying to destroy his reputation.

The art on the Dangerous album cover can be interpreted in different ways. If you see evil in it, it speaks more about your internal demons than Michael's. You are probably one of those who thinks that playing 'Stairway to Heaven' backwards is satanic.

Posted on May 27, 2010 2:26:21 PM PDT
Jevrick says:
No not really. I'm a Led Zeppelin fan and am well aware that Jimmy Page was an avid fan of Aleister Crowley. But that was Jimmy's thing. He didn't speak about it but at least he was honest.

You know what else is creepy about MJ? Naming his son Prince. What did he do that for? It's not like Prince is a common name, and he knew it would be hard to avoid the comparison. I think he was acknowledging that Prince really is superior.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2010 2:29:42 PM PDT
FE Green says:
Once again, if you researched you'd know....

Prince is the name of Michael's grandfather or great grandfather. Haven't you known anyone who has named a child after someone in their lineage? I was named after my great grandmother.

Posted on May 27, 2010 2:39:49 PM PDT
G Dogg says:
If the question is "Who would you rather have balance your checkbook?" - Prince
"Who would you like to choose your pizza toppings?" - Prince
"Who would you rather have set you up with a blind date?" - Prince
"Live?" - Prince
"On record?" - Prince

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2010 2:44:50 PM PDT
Jevrick says:
Yeah but if I was a music star and there was another star out there that I've been compared to, then I wouldn't give my child the name of the other star even if my grandfather had it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2010 2:58:05 PM PDT
K. Williams says:
Prince all the way... he is a Master at what he does... his mind holds some of the most wonderous talented lyris and intricate music ever... I can only imagine how awesome things we have not heard yet are!!! I identify with the feeling and meaning behind Prince most... don't get me wrong... I love Michael and his talent... but Prince does it for me! Good question!

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2010 3:03:26 PM PDT
K. Williams says:
Love it!!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2010 3:15:15 PM PDT
K. Carter says:
Michael Jackson was undeniably talented, but I don't think he ever put out anything on the level of "Sign 'O' The Times" - one of the greatest records ever. And damn, do I wish they would remaster that one...

Posted on May 27, 2010 4:53:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 27, 2010 4:57:48 PM PDT
YANA Girl says:
Micky, just because YOU would not name your child when a celebrity has that name, does not mean that someone else can't. Michael chose to honor his grandfather with the name he gave his child, which is something many people do and so what if Prince the musician has the same name. Means nothing. Besides, I have heard of a few people named Elvis, there is one in our own town.

Oh and about that sign that Michael gave with his fingers, nothing goolish there. It is a victory/peace sign. Have you never seen that before?

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2010 4:56:15 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 21, 2011 9:20:31 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2010 4:57:36 PM PDT
G Dogg says:
Thanks K. Williams :), I agree with your above post and am thankful Prince is so prolific... even if he doesn't go public with all his work. His recent 3 disc LotusFlow3r is his best since the 80's imo. His protege Bria Valente "headlines"/does vocals on one of the discs - fantastic - and shows that Prince finds inspiration and shares "the wealth" like he always has.

Posted on May 27, 2010 5:41:26 PM PDT
Prince plays the guitar. Enough said.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2010 5:44:38 PM PDT
onsenkuma says:
K.Carter,
IMO 'Sign "O" TheTimes' doesn't really need remastering, but if you want to hear a GREAT sounding CD copy then hunt down the Japan mini lp SHM-CD version from 2009. I think you will be VERY happy with the sound...

Posted on May 27, 2010 5:58:32 PM PDT
T. Alexander says:
Growing up in Minneapolis and being the same age as Prince, I've heard a ton of rumors about him. (None of which I really beleive) the one story I like is about Prinny meeting MJ at the hairdressers around the time of Purple Rain. Supposedly when ol' Prinny put out his hand to meet Mike for the first time MJ jummped up on the furniture and hopped out of the shop like a bunny. I can't sy it's ture, but it's a funny story!

Posted on May 27, 2010 7:27:34 PM PDT
Suze says:
This conversation has been going on since 1984 I believe.

Posted on May 27, 2010 7:56:14 PM PDT
Wharf Rat says:
Prince is my choice.
I enjoy MJ's Jackson 5 songs through to his solo album "Off the Wall", but I believe Prince to be the most versatile and talented of the two.

Posted on May 27, 2010 8:26:36 PM PDT
Alt9999 says:
This really isn't an apt comparison.

Jackson was a Pop performer. It would make more sense to compare him to people like Madonna, Janet, or R Kelly.

Prince was a musician, a bandleader, and autonomous concerning his music. Its more sensible to compare him to people like James Brown, Neil Young or Todd Rundgren.

I prefer Prince and it isn't even close. Prince put out more great music in the 80's than Michael did in his entire career.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2010 8:26:58 PM PDT
FE Green says:
who is the idiot who think's my explanation of how Michael named his son Prince is not helpful to the discussion. It was a question that was asked.

Posted on May 27, 2010 8:28:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 27, 2010 8:29:23 PM PDT
FE Green says:
An artist is more than how good his music is or how many records he sells.. How about the integrity of his character?

Tell me, can Prince top this?

http://www.examiner.com/x-7230-Atlanta-Special-Needs-Kids-Examiner~y2009m6d25-Thank-You-Michael-Jackson-for-your-life-long-charity-work

Posted on May 27, 2010 8:32:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 27, 2010 8:34:23 PM PDT
FE Green says:
No single Prince album then or now will ever top the record sales of Thriller alone. It is still the biggest selling album of all time and the Thriller video is still the number 1 video of all time. And it is now in the National Film Registry.

One thing for sure. When Prince dies, I doubt the internet will nearly shut down due to a global outpouring of grief. And I'm sure congress won't take a moment of silence.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2010 8:40:18 PM PDT
Jevrick says:
YANA Girl: do you really believe that the irony of MJ naming his son Prince was lost on him? Believe what you will.....great grandfather, whatever... MJ knew the implications of calling his kid Prince, grandfather or not. There's a million names he could have used instead. Oh and to inform you, your neighborhood Elvis was named after Elvis.

Posted on May 27, 2010 8:42:52 PM PDT
tasha1192 says:
They are both amazing musicians and performers..Prince still is and always will be amazing..enuf said

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2010 8:54:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 27, 2010 8:56:36 PM PDT
Roger says:
Absolutely. Prince needs to become nutcase who tries so hard to re-live his youth by having sleep overs with underage kids on a private ranch and certain allegations brought up on him...and ultimately overdosing on a prescribed medication. Until then, his death will not be nearly as publicly recognized.

Oh and let's not forget the health problems too. In other words, anything NON-music related.

Posted on May 27, 2010 9:02:12 PM PDT
Resa says:
Michael Jackson.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  61
Total posts:  177
Initial post:  May 27, 2010
Latest post:  May 5, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions