Customer Discussions > Music forum

Looking for the WORST country music

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 250 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 10:45:49 PM PST
Hinch says:
Thanks for the link! Maybe I had just forgotten. I heard it plainly that time.

The first copy of DR BYRDS AND MR HYDE I owned was a cassette. I had small mono player I used to carry in the early 70s when I rode the bus to work. I played that cassette a lot.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 10:59:59 PM PST
Hinch says:
I always liked Charlie Pride. Very good voice. He was signed to RCA in 1965 and released his first single in 1966. The first 2 years of his career, his agent made sure no photos were released for fear country fans would know he was black and not buy his records.

In the 70s Charlie Pride became RCAs biggest seller since Elvis. He had 39 #1 hits.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 1:28:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 1:40:11 AM PST
Hinch says:
Omg! I've been hearing "Never Getting Back Together Again" on top 40 radio at work and kinda like it....but I thought it was Avril Lavigne. Lol. I just saw the video on tv and discovered its Taylor Swift. It's totally not country....in any way!! I've also been thinking Avril seems a little old to be singing that song. She's 28. I had no idea it was Taylor.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 9:23:40 AM PST
Lee Greenwood is a good singer, and I love "God Bless the USA". It certainly is better than anything the beatles have tried to "sing".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 9:25:19 AM PST
I disagree. I think Taylor Swift is definitely Country Pop. And that is STILL Country. Her songs are more story driven and lyric driven than Pop music, which again, fits more Country. Her songs like "Teardrops on my guitar" have the typical Country driven chorus and chord progressions. Her subject matters are more country . She's just not Country like Alan Jackson or Randy Travis. Country music has many elements that make it that.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 9:43:35 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 13, 2012 9:45:02 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 10:00:14 AM PST
Stratocaster says:
Is it possible that RVACountryLover/E.P. Haufe/Mead Skelton are all ELVIS FAN?????

In fact, I'm beginning to think that even "Brian" may be Mead Skelton's alter-ego. EVERY time E.P. Haufe posts anything, it's immediately followed by a post by "Brian". And this so called "Brian" never posts anywhere else at any other time except when RVACountryLover/E.P. Haufe/Mead Skelton post something.

I'm thinking we've all been bamboozled and strung along by some kind of evil master mind, LOL!

You know what they say - even negative attention is better than no attention at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 10:05:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 10:05:50 AM PST
Fischman says:
All one in the same my friend.

Check out the "How Many Meades are there?" thread.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 10:58:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 11:00:22 AM PST
Hinch says:
The particular song I was talking about isnt country. I've been a fan of country music for over forty years. I know what country and pop country sound like. That song is neither.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 2:14:48 PM PST
gusula says:
It seems unfortunate to me that so many of us place value on a particular song or album based on what generic label the music industry decides to place on an artist -- but as unfortunate as it is, it's a natural human tendency. I had a friend in high school once who got his sister's wedding cake out of the freezer and offered me a slice (I know what some of you are thinking, and no, this wasn't the cake she'd put in the freezer to be ritually eaten at a future anniversary). He popped it in the microwave for a few minutes, then handed me the plate and a fork. I took a big bite and -- surprise -- it wasn't wedding cake, it was salmon finger sandwich! No matter how good that salmon finger sandwich was (and in retrospect, it was pretty darned tasty!) I wasn't going to enjoy it in that moment, because I was expecting cake, and so I judged the finger sandwich against my cake expectations. So when the industry markets an artist under a particular genre label, we can't help but reject the artist if he/she doesn't fit our expectations of music under that heading. If we trash on Taylor Swift, it isn't because her music is awful necessarily -- it's because she's "not country," and we can't listen to her without judging her against a "country" standard, whatever that is (and the standard seems to be based entirely on what era of country music we're most familiar with). One of my favorite artists of all time is Steve Earle -- not because of how the music industry has labelled his output, but likely in spite of that. I do have a whale of a time hunting him down in music stores, though -- I've found him displayed in the country section, in the rock section, in the alternative section, in the bluegrass section....

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 2:45:14 PM PST
I spent years trying explain why one of my favorites Emmylou Harris really wasn't country... It seemed much easier to do that that than admit there was some country music I liked..

(gusuls. She is one of the people who got steve earle back into the recording studio after his trip to Mexico in the early nineties)

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 6:13:53 PM PST
Hinch says:
I dont like or dislike music because of how the music label chooses to catagorize it. When I thought the song was Avril I liked it. I still like it knowing its Taylor. I dont care if the label calls it country, pop or rock, but I know the difference when I hear it.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 8:04:28 AM PST
vivazappa says:
How about Eddie Rabbit???
What a talent...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 8:12:18 AM PST
He was a very good writer, check it out...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 8:13:08 AM PST
Stratocaster says:
How about Br'er Rabbit???? He had a huge hit with "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah".

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 8:13:54 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 8:14:47 AM PST
vivazappa says:
My girlfriend in college loved Mr Rabbit so in some ways I did...however I will admit I didn't listen closely...
Wait wasn't Mr Rabbit on Captain Kangaroo???

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 8:25:53 AM PST
The best writing that he did was recorded by other Nashville artist and Elvis...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 10:13:03 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 10:21:24 AM PST
Stratocaster says:
vivazappa says: "Wait wasn't Mr Rabbit on Captain Kangaroo???"

As I recall, there was Dancing Bear, Bunny Rabbit, Grandfather Clock, Mister Moose, and Mr Green Jeans.

In fact, I've heard that Mister Green Jeans was actually E.P. Haufe's dad!

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 10:46:43 AM PST
Steelers fan says:
And Tom Terrific cartoons.

When Bob Keeshan (the Captain) and Fred Rogers talked about kids, parents listened. Their kind is long gone from TV. What would they think of the crap which is on now?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 12:19:02 AM PST
Hinch says:
I think you misunderstood his post.

>I spent years trying explain why one of my favorites Emmylou Harris really wasn't country... It seemed much easier to do that that than admit there was some country music I liked..<

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 12:31:48 AM PST
I do recall when Mister Green Jeans asked Captain Kangaroo: "Is that a moose between your legs or are you just happy to see me?" And the Captain was very, very pleased...

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 1:21:04 AM PST
I think you misunderstood his post.>>>

he is no stranger to misunderstanding things....

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 7:43:56 AM PST
That first Emmylou Lp was a NY folky on Jubilee. She didn't come in via the Nashville route with strings and Billy Sherrill/Glenn Sutton/etc... palming off his own publishing holdings the way that RCA and Columbia put glossed up beehive hairdos on chick singers at the time. Emmy was a hippie chick who stayed. A hipster chick who knew honky tonk and the Louvin Brothers songs. Yummy.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 10:25:09 AM PST
D. Mok says:
Emmylou Harris didn't start off as country, and she learned country music from another figure who was not purist country, Gram Parsons. Parsons, in fact, hated the term "country music" and called his own music "cosmic American music". Neither was the essence of country music that "RVACountryLover" is trying to make Harris out to be. Emmylou Harris' vocal style is also much purer than most country singers, with clearer enunciation and less twang, probably having more in common with Joan Baez or Joni Mitchell than Patsy Cline or Maybelle Carter. On The Last Waltz, when The Band approached Harris about singing "Evangeline", a very traditionalist Cajun ballad, Harris tried to convince them to use Dolly Parton instead.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  41
Total posts:  250
Initial post:  Nov 9, 2012
Latest post:  May 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions