Customer Discussions > Music forum

The Beatles: Most overated band of all time?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 8:53:12 PM PDT
Iceblossom says:
Posted on Aug. 10, 2010 7:01 PM PDT
Buck Buckaw says:
Although the Monkees were modeled on the Beatles from their movie "A hard days night", there the similarities end.

As others have pointed out, the Beatles were primarily a rock 'n' roll band who moved into pop music through sheer vent of their popularity.

They never mimed as such to a backing track, they just decided that there was no use trying to sing over the din being made, so they just mouthed the songs. That is very different to miming.

If you don't like the Beatles, that's fine, but what you are doing is misrepresenting them and then attacking the misrepresentation.

Posted on Aug 10, 2010 8:54:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2010 8:55:25 PM PDT
Iceblossom says:
Ok Buck, show me the misrepresenting thing and then attacking the misrepresentation.

I think the only thing you have to cry about is that I called them a "boy band made good".

Edited --

And please, when you reply please tell the reading audience who it was you were trashing because they like the backstreet boys.

Ouch! That's enough to make anyone cry.

Posted on Aug 10, 2010 8:55:24 PM PDT
Daggsy says:
Certainly not!!!

That title must surely rest with U2.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 9:02:10 PM PDT
Iceblossom says:
B Wichert -- a MMORPG is a Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game. Everquest was one of the early ones. World of Warcraft (WoW) is aging well and is currently very popular, but there are many others out there.

I've been a grrl gamer since Pong, have had all the major game systems since Atari and have done betas and things like that as well as just play for enjoyment.

Hubby and I are both a bit geeky, we build our own computers and stuff like that. One of the big advantages to growing up in Alaska when I did is that while I was taught how to read punch cards like my contemporaries, I didn't actually have to use them for batches. I've had email since 1978 -- although I wasn't Iceblossom yet :)

Going back to the gaming, can't say much about it because he has all sorts of confidentiality agreements but my son is a professional game tester (beats flipping burgers!). And no, he doesn't live in the basement although at 22 he's still at home for a couple more months.

It's been nice having him around the house, I get exposed to all sorts of music I wouldn't otherwise hear. And same for him, I just hope that my CDs that have taken residence in his collection will come back to me when he moves out.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 9:03:31 PM PDT
Aww... no one said anything about crying.

More misrepresentations by you.

I see nothing wrong with that quote you quoted by me and I stand by it.

The thrust of your argument is that they are a boy band made good.

Beside the fact that that is a blatant misrepresentation which you have been called on by more than just me, so what? What does this mean if it not meant to be a put down?

Why don't you go after all the other posters who have called you on this misrepresentation?

Incidentally, you have no control over how I post, so you may be a control freak but you are going to have to try to find someone else to control.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 9:12:30 PM PDT
Bwich'd says:
I am aware of Warcraft (and Pong haha..i think i had the last model they made before I got my 2600). I skipped Nintendo and fasted all the way until Playstation. Got rid of that 5 yrs ago. I liked it but I'm better off without it. Never got interested in online stuff like HALO, etc..
Anyways, Imma jet 'fo the whole U2 thing start up in dis piece.
I hope you and Buck (also a clever pen name) can settle your diffs.

Posted on Aug 10, 2010 9:13:48 PM PDT
Iceblossom says:
Ok, so you are just going to let that little backstreet boy post stand on it's own and not own up to it. That's fine. I know it's not me. Wouldn't care if it was, was just trying to clear up any possible misunderstandings.

You can claim all the nice things I say about the Beatles are misrepresentation because you don't agree with the fact that I called them a boy band made good. I stand by what I said, and speaking of being controlling, you can't make me say otherwise. I've said it before in other threads and I'm sure I'll say it again in the future as it is what it is.

You can apparently say that I started this thread or said anything about the Beatles being "over rated" although I did not start the thread nor did I ever use those words.

(Buck Buckaw says:
So there is no misunderstanding, why don't you state your point of view, instead of hiding behind obtuse questions of "over rated or not"? )

Ok. I'm standing by my words. You can stand by your lack of your own.

I've replied, I believe, directly to everyone who has asked me a question or directed a response to me. Even those that went back and deleted their posts.

While we are going back over things, you can take my post about 4 cute guys in matching suits = boy band and try and pretend that I'm using that as the declarative statement of what a boy band is. OMG, ICE SAID THERE HAD TO BE 4 IN A BOY BAND!!!! Did you by any chance check out the Wiki on "boy band"? I thought it was quite humorous, especially since I've never looked at it before this thread.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_band

Posted on Aug 10, 2010 9:18:15 PM PDT
It's not a matter of owning up.

If anyone cares to press the reply to earlier post line they will see who I'm replying to. Other than that, why does it matter.

Your husband and you may enjoy getting involved in these pointless arguments, but I'm not your husband, so I'm done with you and your circular arguing.

If I'm lucky, I won't meet you on any other threads.

Have a nice life.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 9:28:02 PM PDT
Iceblossom says:
Oh, I'm around :) I'm sure we will meet again some day.

And if you had used the "reply to this post" feature I wouldn't have to ask you to clarify your statement, now would I?

It's why I called it an uncredited post. It's just there, addressed to no one.

My argument has never been circular. It's you who has been dancing around trying to make "not the greatest band ever" into "I hate them so much"...

And throwing my hubby into this? LOL nothing like a spurious attack, eh?

As I've mentioned in other threads, the hubby is a couple years younger than me, he grew up and identifies with hair bands like Poison and Night Ranger. He's mostly left that behind and listens mostly to sports radio and some country music. He's a good man and works hard and I love him :) And he doesn't post on Amazon at all, although he is somewhat well known on some reptile boards.

He loves me, opinions and all. It's a good thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 9:43:51 PM PDT
IB, we're "projecting our discomfort at liking a boy band"? Now you're a junior shrink? Very clever.

You say "I never misrepresented them" and "I didn't mean anything negative" when you know that the term boy band has an automatic negative connotation.

IB = "My BS is objective, your BS is obsessive"

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 9:47:23 PM PDT
Iceblossom says:
A couple of you are very sensitive about the "boy band" label.

If a boy band is perjorative, why isn't a boy band made good a triumph againsts the odds?

But tell me, Mr. Miller, do you listen to all of the Beatles catalogue equally, or do you listen more to the later efforts than the early efforts?

Is there not a difference in the early Beatles and the late Beatles?

Is growth and change not a good thing?

Posted on Aug 10, 2010 9:55:36 PM PDT
Alt9999 says:
The problem with the Original Poster is this:

"To sum it all up, I guess that the beatles really arent my "cup of tea". That is why I think they are indeed overrated."

Translation: I don't like the Beatles. Therefore, anyone who does like them are wrong, misguided and/or stupid.

Posted on Aug 10, 2010 9:57:36 PM PDT
First you use a negative term in boy band, now you want to redefine it. Once again, you're very clever in the way that you write your posts so that anyone who disagrees seems unreasonable. But some of us see through it. We don't accept your premises to begin with.

And I do listen to their music equally. Their early music reminds me of 50s good rock & roll which I love.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 9:58:00 PM PDT
Alt9999 says:
IB- Buck did use the other poster's handle in his response. "One world" are the first two words of Buck's post.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 10:05:54 PM PDT
Iceblossom says:
Thanks Huss, for clarifying that for me. I did miss it in the heat of argument.

And Donald, I'm not redefining the term "boy band" at all. I am acknowledging that it is maybe a difficult term since it didn't exist when the Beatles were out (neither did classic rock for that matter). I am saying that many Beatles fans do not listen to their full catalog and skip 90% of the first couple of albums.

But really, objectively, if a song like "I Want To Hold Your Hand" came out today, how would you objectively and without 50 years of listening to the Beatles categorize that song? Would you really and honestly say "Hot Damn! That's some good rock n roll!" Really??

So... tell me, what was your reaction when your first heard "Hey There Delilah"?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 10:22:41 PM PDT
bella6626 says:
Janice, If the Beatles had never been, Iron Maiden, Led Zappelin, and Black Sabbath would never have existed. Music would have stayed static and boring. Bobby Vinton comes to mind. The only good rock n roll in those days were The Everly Brothers and Elvis Presley. The Beatles opened the door for all the other groups of their time. You were probably born after they came on the scene. Hence your love of the groups you stated. It's a shame they broke up when they did. In my opinion they could have given us so much more. They had so much promise.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 10:24:54 PM PDT
Alt9999 says:
My reaction to hearing "Hey There Delilah" was 'Wow, what a crappy remake of "Always A Woman" by Billy Joel'

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 10:26:27 PM PDT
What the...heck would you know about most Beatles fans?

Yes, I would like "Hand", but as I said I like 50s rock & roll. It came out in 63 and it would have fit right in anytime during the late 50s.

My 1st reaction to "Hey There Delilah"? I'm not sure that I understand the question or the relevance to this discussion. But Lemmy think about it...I thought the name Plain White Ts was kinda dumb; I thought the tune was a decent, if somewhat generic guitar ballad; I thought it was a little overproduced with the background strings. I guess that sums it up.

As the tune climbed the charts I got bored with hearing it, then I got sick of hearing it. As I heard more of their music, I found that like many one-hit wonders that it's not really all that characteristic of their overall sound.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 10:27:45 PM PDT
Iceblossom says:
If we are playing what if, what if Buddy Holly didn't die? Did he not provide good rock n roll?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 10:27:57 PM PDT
And all this time I thought "She's Always A Woman" was a piano based tune...

Posted on Aug 10, 2010 10:28:31 PM PDT
All timing.. Overrated..

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 10:34:54 PM PDT
Bella, music wasn't static and boring. I think you're confusing music with radio.

They had so much promise? It almost sounds like you're saying that they didn't fulfill their potential

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 10:36:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2010 10:40:42 PM PDT
Iceblossom says:
I know the Beatles fans I know, and yes I know more than a couple... I know what I read on these boards... I know in most discussions about the Beatles that I've seen it focuses more on the later Beatles.

The reason I brought up Delilah was that I think it compares roughly to a more current version of I Want to Hold Your Hand. Strictly speaking though, the Ts are not one hit wonders I believe they've charted 3 times now, each with rather sappy ballads that are not at all the characteristic sound of the band. I would agree that the strings are almost overwhelming, the original doesn't have them -- but somewhat similar to a Beatles string arrangement, don't you think?

But the question was about "hand" is if it came out today, if you didn't know the beatles or it was a beatles song, how would you categorize it? Or pick Love Me Do maybe... how would you describe it? Again, would you say "hey, that's a kick ass rock song" or would you say something more like "energetic fun little tune that has more going for it than most bubblegum".

Be honest...

Edited --

Please understand, I know it is difficult to remove a song from a time period and even more difficult to remove it from your personal memories and associations.

But if your job was to sit at a desk and rate/comment on songs that could be from any time period or any genre, what would you say?

Would you even guess that the band that did Love Me Do also did While My Guitar Gently Weeps?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 10:47:06 PM PDT
bella6626 says:
Actually, no one in America had heard of the Beatles in 1960. It was still Elvis and Motown and The Everly Brothers or Country or Folk. I was 16 when they came to our shores. I saw them in person twice. All the screaming made it impossible to hear them, but it was so much fun! That was before sex, drugs, and rock-n-roll. We were mostly young innocent girls and a few boys. I never had a Beatles lunch box. Never even saw one. I did have all their albums and saw all their movies, and their San Francisco concerts. I still have the programs and ticket stubs from those concerts. It was and is a wonderful memory. To tell you the truth, I have never heard Iron Maiden or Black Sabbath. I did listen to Led Zeppelin, but they turned up at the same time as Abbey Road, just as the Beatles were folding. It was time for a new era and I began going to the Fillmore, Winterland, The Avalon Ballroom, and The Strait Theater. No, I don't think they are overrated. They opened the door for new music, new instruments, new sounds. And, I don't agree that any of their early music was "dismissed." Sgt. Pepper did make a huge leap, but so did, She Loves You, Love Me Do, Yesterday, For No One, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 10:50:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2010 11:49:56 PM PDT
"Hey There Delilah" a more current version of "I Want to Hold Your Hand"? In what universe? Have you even listened to both songs?

One is an acoustic guitar ballad with some orchestrated strings. The other a straight up rock & roll song with electric guitar, bass, drum, hand-claps, multi-part harmonies on the chorus. "Delilah" is closer to an over-produced version of the early 70s singer-songwriter sound than it is to "IWTHYH".

And you got the nerve to call me dishonest?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  365
Total posts:  1348
Initial post:  Aug 10, 2010
Latest post:  Jul 29, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions