Customer Discussions > Music forum

Music Listening Technology: Which Do You Use?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 181 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2013 8:16:22 PM PDT
Music Luver says:
Oh yeah, same here, I tried, but almost rear ended a car a couple times. So after that I just used the random play function. Now I use my smart phone that has an interface to pick stuff from much quicker and it's 32 GB!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2013 5:12:44 PM PDT
JP says:
My kenwood Excelon not only has a search "wheel" it has 2 buttons that let you tab through groups of folders pretty quickly to get to the general area you want.

But yeah, 16G is a LOT of band name folders!! (I think there are 70-something on it)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2013 12:46:59 PM PDT
Music Luver says:
That's a ton of folders to navigate through. A bunch of 2 and 4 gig let you categorize better.

Posted on Aug 27, 2013 11:40:04 AM PDT
I have a mix of CDs, downloads on my iPod, and my parents 60s and 70s vinyl records. I back up my downloads on USB sticks.

Posted on Aug 27, 2013 9:32:03 AM PDT
JP says:
My 16G is a SanDisk and you're right...it's small!!

Posted on Aug 27, 2013 8:03:37 AM PDT
Steelers fan says:
SanDisk's 32GB Cruzer Switch fits on a keychain. Relatively inexpensive, if you know where to look. An even bigger version (64 GB) is available.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2013 4:59:30 PM PDT
JP says:
I also use Windows Media Player to rip to MP3s. But, even on high end car stereo, I don't hear much difference between 320 and 256, so I use 256kbps for more space (below that I do start hearing a difference).

And simply put them all on a 16G thumbdrive and plug it into my stereo's usb port (MUCH easier than using ipod or other player).

The funny thing....you might think 16GIG would be plenty big enough but nooooooooo...everytime I want to put new music on it I agonize over what to delete!! lol

(Yes......looking at 32G thumbdrive!!)

Posted on Aug 25, 2013 4:56:49 PM PDT
I use everything EXCEPT for eight-track tapes!

Posted on Aug 23, 2013 1:58:03 PM PDT
alysha25 says:
I think I remember this post from long ago ;o). I heard somewhere recently that digital is the way to go in the future. Meaning we won't have, need, or want items like DVD's stacked in the living room that Collect Dust. That includes all media, music, video games, movies. Some people are resistent to this. I was. However , the more I see the DUSTY jewel cases piled up, I realize that I only really look at and listen to the music through my computer anyhow, or cell phone on occasion. And someday soon coming to our future all books, music, movies, T.V. series, and video/computer games are going to be downloaded digitally and stored electronically, period.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2013 1:35:47 PM PDT
A. Strong says:
We use CD's in the house and I have cassette tapes in my old car and I can still make my own tapes from CD's and they sound pretty good until they die. I really don't want discs in the car to be stolen by thugs.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2013 12:53:27 PM PDT
Derek W. says:
No problem Dan, glad to help.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2013 12:33:43 PM PDT
Derek W, Thanks. I just verified that Windows Media Player can be changed to create MP3 files up to 320kbps.

Posted on Apr 5, 2013 12:26:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 5, 2013 12:28:07 PM PDT
Derek W. says:
Dan - unless they've changed it, WMP will happily rip to MP3. Insert the disc you want to rip, click on Rip Settings, then click Format and select MP3, then click on Rip Settings again, click on Audio Quality and select the bit rate you want.

Personally, I use free software called Music Bee, which gives you a wider selection of rip formats (edit - and the ability to play those formats) including FLAC. It's a bit fiddly to setup though as you have to install it then download and copy some encoders from various sources, although instructions are provided.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2013 11:34:25 AM PDT
Dan,

It might be the Windows software. You could try a different program and rip the same CDs for comparison.

I use Adobe Audition or Roxio, but they both cost money. I'd think there would be some other free programs out there you could try for comparison purposes, but I don't know any offhand.
Maybe someone here could recommend one.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2013 11:19:05 AM PDT
Thanks for the link. I picked the 320kbps, but really didn't notice any difference. I guess I thought the 320 sounded better, but I wasn't sure. I got tired of listening, so I picked one.

The only way I know of ripping a CD on my PC is using Windows Media Player, which makes WMA files, not MP3 files. The maximum bkps allowed is 192. I only ripped a couple of CDs using 192, and they just didn't sound right; too harsh, and sort of distorted sounding. I download a lot of MP3 music files from Amazon, and they are 320kbps, and I have never noticed them sounding harsh or distorted.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2013 9:13:47 PM PDT
Here's a web page that lets you hear two identical mp3 files, one ripped at 128kbps and the other at 320kbps to see if you can hear any difference.

After you pick which clip sounds better to you, you can see whether you picked the 128 or 320 mp3.

Interestingly, the results are pretty evenly split with a slight majority actually picking the lower rate 128kbps file!

http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/mp3-sound-quality-test-128-320/

Posted on Apr 4, 2013 1:54:13 PM PDT
Here's an old thread I'm going to bring back to life.

We were discussing bit rates on music files. All of the CDs I ripped using Windows Media Player were ripped at 128kbps. I decided to go into my settings and change the bit rate to 192kbps, the maximum. I ripped a couple of new CDs I bought, and they just didn't sound right. The sound was just too harsh. I changed the setting back to 128kbps and ripped these new CDs again, and now they sound much better to me. I am going to keep ripping CDs using 128kbps.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 2:45:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 28, 2013 2:46:17 PM PST
JP says:
I was talking about getting my old Garrard turntable down from the attic and decided to see if the company was still around.

They are, as Loricraft & Garrard Audio, but in reading I came across this funny, in hindsight, fact:

During the period 1976-1978, Garrard developed demonstrators of the novel video disc technology. Although the team recognised the future potential of this data storage technology, (parent company) Plessey chose not to invest, so this, and other innovative technologies under development, were abandoned thus denying the UK a leading position in disc storage technology (CD/DVD/Blu-ray).

I used to have hundreds and hundreds of Maxell cassettes recorded on a Nakamachi, with the Garrard turntable running through a Garrard Music Recovery Module (remember those? noise reduction for albums!) to my old reveiver, and a bunch of dbx stuff in the effects loop! I'd play the album once (recording to cassette), put it up, and rarely ever play it again.

To think of ALL the $$ I spent on that stuff and it was pretty much useless by the early 90s. Heck, the last 5 years I even USED a turntable it was hooked up to my computer, not the stereo, ripping stuff to CDs.

But, the turntable (and 2 others) and the Nakamachi are still up in the attic for nostalgia's sake (though I may yet use a turntable again...they are coming back).

I think I have mentioned (in one of these topics) that, to this day, I still use the dbx equalizer and a couple of the other dbx boxes are still in the rack, though all they do is hide wires!! lol

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 11:16:22 PM PST
Tonè says:
Has anyone set up a high quality music streaming system in the house?

I noticed that the newer amps have built-in Airplay. I can imagine that the convenience must be great -- no need for the hassle of flash disks, external hard drives, iPod or bluetooth adaptor accessories (which never seem to come with the product), HDMI from laptop/desktop to amp, etc, etc...

BUT!!!??? Is there a compromise in streamed music quality?

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 10:33:33 AM PST
mac says:
I was real excited, when buying the new My Bloody Valentine album, to read that it was recorded in analog and that there was no digital processing involved in the production of the vinyl - it remained in the analog domain entirely. You also get a CD and the fun part was also getting 24bit/96k wave files to play with (I'm listening to them right now on the computer).

I am looking forward to comparing all three formats on my hi-fi at home when the vinyl and CD arrive in a couple weeks!

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 1:03:47 PM PST
Steelers fan says:
With the return of vinyl LPs, maybe they're being made again.

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 1:02:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 1, 2013 1:03:12 PM PST
Steelers fan says:
Oh, from what I remember, direct-to-disc records sounded great.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2013 11:30:51 AM PST
JP says:
Music Lover -

Did you see the list of equipment I have in the car? A good high end car stereo can sound just as good as a good home stereo, and far better than these "out of the box" systems they are selling today.

And I do have a Yamaha receiver in the living room, though all it drives is my center channel. 2 Crown amps drive the mains (350wpc) and the rears (200wpc), and my Velodyne subs are, of course, powered.

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 9:03:05 AM PST
Dr. Mikey says:
B L T, then I guess you heard about the guy who left his car unlocked with his banjo lying in the backseat. He came back to the car and there were five more banjos there. (I'm sure you know a lot more good ones, but I couldn't resist. Actually, a a bit envious as I'm only a mediocre guitar player.) Cheers.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2013 8:25:22 AM PST
B L T says:
Oh man! That's cruel! I played the banjo :)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  45
Total posts:  181
Initial post:  Jan 9, 2013
Latest post:  Aug 27, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions