Customer Discussions > Music forum

5 Favorite Songs Of The 1960's...No Beatles, Rolling Stones, Kinks, Or The Who, Pleeze

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 5:24:27 PM PDT
ED S. says:
Your welcome Timothy, any time I can be of help I will be there.

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 5:03:41 PM PDT
I am a fan of classic Jazz, think Basie, Ella and Ellington, and Be-Bop Jazz, think Thelonius Monk and early Miles Davis, but, I don't even pretend to be a true Jazz fan. I detest all of the atonal crap that sometimes passes for Jazz and I actively hate everything I've ever heard by Keith Jarrett. I have never heard of Vince, but, if you read my post carefully, I said that his version was probably the original, which you confirm. Thanks for the information.

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 4:12:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 12, 2013 4:12:34 PM PDT
ED S. says:
The Vince Guaraldi version is the original. He wrote it! It was 1963. That is the version that is on all the American instrumental compialation CD's. It was a jazz song by a jazz musician. I just sampled the Sound Orchestral version and that was not the radio song in Los Angeles. Their version has a orchestra behind it. The Sounds Orchestral version did go top 10 on the pop chart here in the U.S., but I gotta tell you, I have never heard the orchestra version on Los Angeles pop radio and that song was played a lot. The Guaraldi version is what is put on 60's instrumental compialations.

I have been listening to nothing but jazz stations here in Los Angeles for the last three weeks, and vince Guaraldi tunes are a staple. You may know Vince better by what he is really famous for...doing all the music for the early Peanuts TV shows. He is the author of the music. He also did jazz albums along the line of the Peanuts films. Not my favorites, but he jumped on a good thing. Jazz albums are not a big seller back then and now.

I also mentioned that tune before and so have others, but it doesn't matter. It is a great mood evoking tune in it's jazz state.

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 3:43:40 PM PDT
White Boy Lost in the Blues says:
Cast Your Fate To The Wind --- Vince Guaraldi Trio

The version I remember was by Sounds Orchestral from 1965. That one must have been a cover, but I don't remember Vince Guaraldi's version. Maybe it was from before my time.

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 3:12:08 PM PDT
"Goody goody gumdrops" - 1910 Fruitgum company - This along with" Indian Giver" are better than you remember.
Rain Dance - The Guess Who - One of their lesser known hits - Burton Cummings still can sing with anyone.
Whispering - Nino Tempo and April Stevens - This was the follow up to "Deep purple" it charted but than The Beatles happened and it dropped out of sight. Cool Tune - Joe D

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 10:58:22 AM PDT
Pretty Woman --- Roy Orbison
Wooly Bully --- Sam The Sham & The Pharaohs
Go Now --- The Moody Blues
Goldfinger --- Shirley Bassey
Cast Your Fate To The Wind --- Vince Guaraldi Trio

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 4:49:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 11, 2013 4:54:11 PM PDT
Do Wah Diddy Diddy --- Manfred Mann
Surfin Bird --- Trashmen
Monster Mash --- Bobby "Boris" Pickett
Out Of Limits --- Marketts
Snatch It Back and Hold It --- Junior Wells

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 4:30:16 PM PDT
John,
RE: probably heard of Janis Martin

I have heard of Janis before your post. Thanks for the recommendation though. The post of Zola was the first I'd seen of her and I was instantly interested in er music. She does a lot of differing post modern compositions and never fails to keep fans guessing whats next

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 11:35:06 PM PDT
Needles And Pins --- The Searchers
Don't Let The Rain Come Down --- Serendipity Singers
Walk-Don't Run --- Ventures
Hi-Heel Sneakers --- Tommy Tucker
Suspicion --- Terry Stafford

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 11:15:27 PM PDT
Maria Elena --- Los Indios Tabajaras
Heat Wave --- Martha & the Vandellas
Fools Rush In --- Rick Nelson
Hey Paula --- Paul & Paula
South Street --- Orions

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 10:56:11 PM PDT
jpl says:
Go Away Little Girl by Steve Lawrence 1963
Baby (You've Got What it Takes), by Brook Benton and Dinah Washington 1960
The Lion Sleeps Tonight by The Tokens 1961
Downtown by Petula Clark 1965
Windy by The Association 1967

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 6:35:12 PM PDT
Joe the Priest says:
gary
layla is the 70's

Joe, you beat me to it. ;^)

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 3:29:44 PM PDT
gary

layla is the 70's

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 1:44:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 11, 2013 9:33:45 PM PDT
Gary,
Layla Derric
you are right,I stand corrected.I don't know what happened to the rest of my post.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 9:15:17 PM PST
White Boy,
Thanks for the clips. I never heard of Zola Moon before. She's awesome. If you like Rockabilly, you've probably heard of Janis Martin. She was called the female Elvis.
John

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 12:15:05 PM PST
White Room --- Cream
And When I Die --- Blood Sweat & Tears
Ride My See Saw --- The Moody Blues
Take Five --- Dave Brubeck Quartet
The Girl from Ipanema --- Stan Getz & João Gilberto w/vocals by Astrud Gilberto

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 3:40:00 PM PST
Mathew

re: the Vanilla Fudge

they will be at BB Kings in June this year...the Originals..mark Stein, Vin martell and Carmine Appice...tim bogart, The bass player will not be with them...another great concert to see.

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 9:39:52 AM PST
Tossin' And Turnin' --- Bobby Lewis
Those Oldies But Goodies --- Little Caesar & the Romans
Travelin' Man --- Ricky Nelson
I Fall To Pieces --- Patsy Cline
It Will Stand --- The Showmen

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 9:25:41 AM PST
Quarter To Three --- Gary 'U S' Bonds
Hit the Road Jack --- Ray Charles
Mack The Knife --- Bobby Darin
Apache --- Jorgen Ingmann
Chain Gang --- Sam Cooke

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 8:40:26 AM PST
Bristol Stomp --- Dovells
Who Put The Bomp --- Barry Mann
There's A Moon Out Tonight --- Capris
I Like It Like That --- Chris Kenner
Mother-In-Law --- Ernie K-Doe

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 10:40:14 PM PST
Hi, Joe I really like Vanilla Fudge or The Vanilla Fudge as real fans have called them. I am a 2nd generation fan, but I have always liked the band since I heard them in the mid 70's or thereabouts. Thank goodness I grew up in NY. because I heard them a lot on radio. I still think the band was highly underrated and more appreciated on the east coast. Their cover tunes were as good as the original versions to me, in fact some tunes surpassed the originals to me. Case in point their version of You Keep Me Hangin On improved on The Supremes version. I think their version was more dramatic than the Supremes version and I love the lead guitar riffs on it as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 10:39:03 PM PST
Hi, Joe I really like Vanilla Fudge or The Vanilla Fudge as real fans have called them. I am a 2nd generation fan, but I have always liked the band since I heard them in the mid 70's or thereabouts. Thank goodness I grew up in NY. because I heard them a lot on radio. I still think the band was highly underrated and more appreciated on the east coast. Their cover tunes were as good as the original versions to me, in fact some tunes surpassed the originals to me. Case in point their version of You Keep Me Hangin On improved on The Supremes version. I think their version was more dramatic than the Supremes version and I love the lead guitar riffs on it as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2013 6:25:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 3, 2013 6:34:08 PM PST
Timothy,

I have the import CD of The Johnny Burnette Trio: Rockabilly Boogie. I have to partially agree with you about "Train" but I also feel the same way about "Rockabilly Boogie." The YouTube cut is quite a racy video for that period. Since I really enjoyed it and its high energy level, I have also included a link to Burnette's "Boogie".

A contemporary of Burnette is Rockabilly phenomena Sonny Burgess who recorded another genre straddling tune, "Movin' On Over". I have also included a link to that video.

Most musicoholics are familiar with the "Carl Perkins & Friends - Blue Suede Shoes - A Rockabilly Session (Live)" which featured Perkins and other "rock royalty" having fun with rockabilly in 1986. This is one of my favorite videos I believe to be timeless.

More postmodern interpretations of Rock-a-Billy continue today. One of my favorite performers in that genre is Zola Moon. I have also included links to her performance of her tune "Rockabilly Billie". You must be taking the dirt nap if these tunes don't move you.

Johnny Burnette Train Kept A Rollin'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufzRV3xspYA

Sonny Burgess and The Sureshots "Movin' On Over"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQJ4vNce0wA

Johnny Burnette - Rock-a-Billy Boogie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQJ4vNce0wA

Carl Perkins & Friends- Blue suede Shoes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph1HZ-Uq70I

Zola Moon - Rockabilly Billie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecy3aBwpKWc

Johnny Burnette Train Kept A Rollin'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufzRV3xspYA

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 8:04:39 AM PST
White Boy Lost in the Blues says:
Dreamin' --- Johnny Burnette

In the 1950's, before he became a solo star, Johnny, along with his brother Dorsey Burnette and guitarist Paul Burlison formed a band called The Rock and Roll Trio. They made a recording that is, quite simply the greatest Rockabilly recording ever made. Everyone who claims to love Rock should check out "Train Kept A Rollin'" on YouTube. It was later credited to Johnny Burnette's Rock and Roll Trio after he became a hit artist.

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 5:50:40 AM PST
Who Put The Bomp --- Barry Mann
Spanish Harlem --- Ben E. King
Tossin' And Turnin' --- Bobby Lewis
Dum Dum --- Brenda Lee
Runaround Sue --- Dion
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 49 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  211
Total posts:  1219
Initial post:  Jul 31, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 17 customers

Search Customer Discussions