Customer Discussions > Music forum

5 Favorite Songs Of The 1960's...No Beatles, Rolling Stones, Kinks, Or The Who, Pleeze

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Feb 16, 2015 4:07:36 AM PST
Buffalo Springfield === For What It's Worth *** https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIoKr9VDg3A

Bob Dylan === Tangled Up In Blue *** https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN3rpPLQ3gg

Cream === Sunshine of Your Love *** https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDZqmF3zS04

Donovan === Season of the Witch *** https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAzTnsSgs2s

Paul Butterfield Blues Band === East West *** https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaV-S5ivX3E

Posted on Feb 16, 2015 12:03:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 16, 2015 1:01:58 AM PST
imbrium says:
1. Flying On The Ground Is Wrong - Buffalo Springfield
2. What Am I Gonna Do With You (Hey Baby) - Leslie Gore
3. Carrie-Anne - The Hollies
4. Scarborough Fair/Canticle - Simon & Garfunkel
5. Twelve-Thirty (Young Girls Are Coming To The Canyon) - Mamas and the Papas

i could name SO many more songs. this was tough. (especially since i couldn't pick the who!!) "engine engine number 9' by roger miller almost made no. 5. 'nights in white satin' almost made no. 5. so did 'mountain of love' by johnny rivers. so did 'caroline, no' by the beach boys. so did 'el paso' by marty robbins. so did about 2 dozen others.

anyway, the first 4 just came quickly. stuff i really like. the 5th.... god! but it is what it is. the decade was too good to pick just 5.

Posted on Feb 15, 2015 8:17:05 PM PST
A. Strong says:
A nice idea for a thread.

King Midas in Reverse - The Hollies
Tell Her No - The Zombies
Dear Diary - Moody Blues
America - The Nice
Rest in Peace - Chad and Jeremy

Posted on Jan 18, 2015 4:35:20 PM PST
All right, you're too easy to manipulate, so I'm through having fun and that's the only reason to continue the ripostes. Good luck and goodbye.

Posted on Jan 18, 2015 3:13:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2015 3:17:58 PM PST
E. Dill says:
@Timothy Schubert:

You are, I fear, a real nutcase.

You contradict yourself with every sentence. You refer to the subject post as "a simple erroneous post" and then talk about "lack of knowledge", etc. and how "you tried to go back and add two other songs"....I didn't try....I DID to prevent you from having a heart attack.

Look, we've all been on these boards where someone gets a wrong date or a wrong album name and someone might mention the error to them. In this case, I didn't think of it as an error, but had it been one (eliminating the re-issue), would you have acted as assinine as you've already been? If so, why?

Bottom line....in looking back on it, if I had a choice between posting something in a way that a well known net musical site did or how you felt it should or shouldn't be, I'd take the site anyday of the week. Yes, you'd be trumped by rateyourmusic every time.

And I'm not picking scabs at all. I'm wondering just how these boards can help create grown men who seem proud of their education (?) and sound more and more like little kids who wanted to play but no one liked them so they got nasty.

I'm done. You bored me from the beginning but whenever I'm confronted with someone like you, I always think they'll come back to reality. For you, there is no reality, only dates and re-issues and other such specters you're so afraid of.....

I'll pass on the teacher who is a Joel fan....even she doesn't deserve you....

ed.

Posted on Jan 18, 2015 2:21:47 PM PST
E. Dill, like a little boy picking at a scab, you keep coming back to it. I didn't call you what you deserved to be called for your initial post. It was a simply erroneous post. Yes, you tried to go back and add two other songs, but, it was your initial post that raised the specter of writing about something that you seemed to lack the knowledge about to post intelligently and correctly. Yes, tweaking you about it may have been a bit off-putting to you, but, the only way to avoid being off-putting upon occasion is to avoid entering the fray and I won't do that.

As for Billy Joel, my knowledge about him starts with when he was the original keyboard player, singer and main song-writer of The Hassles and goes on from their. Don't go there unless you really want to go there. If you do, bring it on. ;^)

Posted on Jan 18, 2015 2:01:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2015 2:05:42 PM PST
E. Dill says:
@Timothy Schubert:

I'll accept your self-described "smart aleck" as another version of snot. If this is what being a 50 year student of music got you, I feel sorry for your wasted efforts. Speaking of which, I know just the person who'd be a wonderful companion for you.

Do you know anything about Billy Joel?

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2015 9:54:14 AM PST
Sorry, not a snot, just a smart aleck. I was just pointing up how ridiculous your original post was as a 50 year student of music in general and Rock and Roll in particular. To being a smart aleck, I will plead guilty.

Posted on Jan 18, 2015 9:29:18 AM PST
E. Dill says:
@Timothy Schubert:

From rateyourmusic.com
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Johnny B. Goode / Around and Around
. . .

Artist Chuck Berry
Type Single
Released March 31, 1958
Recorded January 6, 1958 - February 28, 1958
RYM Rating 4.13 / 5.0 from 543 ratings
Ranked #1 for 1958, #85 overall
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sweet Little Sixteen / Reelin' and Rockin'
. . . . . .

Artist Chuck Berry
Type Single
Released January 1958
RYM Rating 3.89 / 5.0 from 189 ratings
Ranked #11 for 1958, #1,215 overall

Johnny B. Goode / Sweet Little Sixteen

Artist Chuck Berry
Type Single
Released 1962
RYM Rating 4.15 / 5.0 from 47 ratings
Ranked #5 for 1962, #956 overall
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does rym's #5 single rating for 1962 PROVE anything one way or another. Not really. It doesn't prove or disprove that the single in question deserves to be listed as a 1962 single although it obviously was. They did it because they thought it did. So did I. You didn't.

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2015 8:44:49 AM PST
E. Dill says:
@Timothy Schubert:

For a couple of posts, you actually had me believing I'd pegged you wrong.....that you were only interested in how popular those Berry songs actually were in 1962 out of curiosity. NOT. You are a snot like I'd originally surmised.

And I'll just bet when you wrote "that makes your inclusion of those songs as favorites of 1962 as utterly meaningless" you got all puffed up. Even considering the fact that since their inclusion on my list seemed to bother you so, I added two others to take their place. But no, you only wanted to know exactly where they were popular then.

You could care less how popular the songs were in 1962 and/or where. You were being a snot and you snotified your point extremely well just now.

And you're welcome, again.

ed

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2015 7:36:22 AM PST
E. Dill says:
I haven't a clue. My answer (excepting the Des Moines stuff) was only that the tunes were re-released in 1962.

Thank you, that makes your inclusion of those songs as favorites of 1962 utterly meaningless. By those criteria nearly any song from any year could be a favorite song from any other year just so long as it was re-released somewhere in that year. Today, Led Zeppelin's music is being re-released, again, on re-mastered CD's. Now, thanks to you, I an seemingly correct in saying that "Stairway To Heaven" is my favorite song of 2014. Thanks, again.

Posted on Jan 18, 2015 4:51:07 AM PST
Don't forget no Beatles. .

:-(

Posted on Jan 18, 2015 2:11:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2015 9:04:47 AM PST
mesa maestro says:
1. Someday We'll Be Together by the Supremes
2. Black Magic Woman - Fleetwood Mac
3. She Belongs To Me by Bob Dylan
4. Love Is All I have To Give by the Checkmates
5. Be My Baby by the Ronettes

Sorry about the Beatles song

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2015 9:26:13 PM PST
E. Dill says:
@Timothy Schubert:

<<Where was "Johnny B. Goode" or, for that matter, "Sweet Little Sixteen" a hit in 1962?>>

I haven't a clue. My answer (excepting the Des Moines stuff) was only that the tunes were re-released in 1962. That was enough for me to choose them. I surely didn't think I needed to prove sales to list a song as one of my favorites for the year. If the re-release wasn't enough, then I've already added two songs to take their place.

Now that I think of it, the numbers for those songs on Billboards Main Board for 1958 weren't exactly mindblowing. One was #29 and the other #73. By 1962, I believe Berry was already in jail for carrying a minor across state lines or some such thing. Whether that affected sales or Billboards wilingness to poll them is unknown to me. All I know is those two songs, originally on singles with different songs, were lumped together and re-released in 1962. That's that.

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2015 7:48:13 PM PST
Tell me, E. Dill, where was "Johnny B. Goode" or, for that matter, "Sweet Little Sixteen" a hit in 1962? You never did answer that simple interrogatory. For instance, "Runaway", by Del Shannon was a hit in a number of cities in both 1961 and 1962. My initial query was, is, and shall remain a simple question that I was curious about. We can both drop the histrionics. Agreed?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2015 6:02:50 PM PST
E. Dill says:
@Timothy Schubert:

<<I wasn't angry and no reasonable, intelligent person would have jumped to that ludicrous conclusion. >>

Really? <<Where exactly was this a hit in 1962?>> It surely sounded a bit peevish to me but not ludicrous, so you trump me on insults.

Gee, and I even went out of my way to go back to the post and add two other faves to take the place of those "questionable" ones. And, frankly, if you thought about the re-release business, why oh why did you ask <<where exactly (!) was this a hit in 1962?>>

I thought Des Moines was a decent guess (and funny, too!). I think you need to lighten up. Otherwise, I'm going back to the kitchen, if I can find it.

ed. (re-released)

Posted on Jan 16, 2015 10:13:49 PM PST
jpl says:
Ramble On - Led Zeppelin
You Shook Me - Led Zeppelin
Good Times Bad Times - Led Zeppelin
Black Mountain Side - Led Zeppelin
The Lemon Song - Led Zeppelin

Posted on Jan 16, 2015 9:55:56 PM PST
Fortunate Son - CCR
In My Room - Beach Boys
Come On Up - Rascals
Beg Borrow and Steal - Ohio Express
All Along the Watch Tower - Jimi
JC

Posted on Jan 16, 2015 5:21:47 PM PST
Darlin ....Beach Boys
You keep me hangin on ....The Supremes
Yummy Yummy Yummy. ...Ohio Express
California Dreamin. ..Mamas and the Pappas
A little bit of me a little bit of you..The Monkees

Well here comes the no vote barrage. ..

:-)

Posted on Jan 16, 2015 5:13:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2015 5:42:31 PM PST
E. Dill says:
@Timothy Schubert:
You seemed angry. Why? <<Where exactly was this a hit in 1962?>>

Do you often believe you can read other's minds and determine their emotions from a simple question? I wasn't angry and no reasonable, intelligent person would have jumped to that ludicrous conclusion. My point was, simply, that sometimes songs are re-released and become hits a second time. Now, however, I am a bit peeved at your foolish conclusion about what I wrote. Lighten up, it's only Rock and Roll.

Posted on Jan 16, 2015 2:10:25 PM PST
E. Dill says:
faves from 1964 part II;

Temptations - My Girl
Supremes - Where Did Our Love Go
Martha & the Vandellas - Dancin in the Street
The Shangra-Las - (Remember) Walking in the Sand
The Ronettes - Walking In the Rain

ed

Posted on Jan 16, 2015 2:03:20 PM PST
E. Dill says:
faves from 1963 Part II

Bob Dylan - Blowin in the Wind
The Crystals - Then He Kissed Me
The Trashmen - Surfin Bird
The Ronettes - Baby I Love You
Doris Troy - Just One Look

Posted on Jan 16, 2015 1:57:38 PM PST
E. Dill says:
Faves from 1962 Part II

The Contours - Do You Love Me
Skeeter Davis - The End of the World
Little Eva - Locomotion
Exciters - Tell Him
Mary Wells - You Beat Me to the Punch

ed.

Posted on Jan 16, 2015 1:53:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2015 3:02:59 PM PST
a customer says:
Little bit of soul (music explosion)

Sam & Dave -- Soul man Hold on (two untoppable songs to follow up)
Aretha chain of fools (after the monster respect)
Archie Bell & the Drells --tighten up pt1 (part 2 hmmm)
tears of a clown (original release 1967 or 1968 not a hit till 1970)
my whole world ended the moment you left me
(eddie should have stayed in the temps - dated dean Martins daughter dino not happy)
(sad ending to his life found dead in crack house money belt of at least 20 k gone)

songs to OTIS
1968 tribute to Otis Redding (William Bell)
1969 running Blue (The doors)

Posted on Jan 16, 2015 1:52:28 PM PST
E. Dill says:
faves from 1961 Part II

Ben E. King - Stand By Me
Del Shannon - Runaway
Marvelettes - Please Mr. Postman
Gene Chandler - Duke of Earl
The Marcels - Blue Moon

ed.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 53 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  219
Total posts:  1306
Initial post:  Jul 31, 2011
Latest post:  14 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions