- Genevieve Waite - "Romance Is On The Rise"

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 6:41:11 PM PST
disclassic says:
Queen-News of the World

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 7:04:38 AM PST
Johnny Bee says:
Bitches Brew - Miles

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 6:37:27 AM PST
Never knew that about Ummagumma. Very cool!

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 6:07:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2012 10:14:14 PM PST
What Roger Dean drew for any particular Yes album cover, memorable? I think not!! No those were not his "iconic" covers, Roger Dean's best covers were done for Osibisa, specifically Woyaya and Osibisa, their first two albums.

This is "truth in packaging" at its best. Roger Dean's incredible covers so aptly intimated the contents held within, those evolving primal rhythmic pulses from the depths of human and especially of the African tribal existence on "Survival" and "The Dawn" to the insanely urgent tenor sax of the great Teddy Osei on the world music protest classics "Think About the People " and "Phallus C".

Osibisa's web page contain many Roger Dean images inspired by the musical content within. http://www.osibisa.co.uk/

The cover of Pink Floyd's "Ummagumma" is memorable as one of the most clever ever produced for the group's members shifting positions as in the apparent reflections seen in the mirror. Peruse the cover whilst listening to "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict" and it becomes apparent that all is not as it seems.

In this pre-photoshop era altered image, created by Hipgnosis, as the mirror in the photo reappears smaller in each nested image, each band member assumes the clothing of the person in close to the same position as the preceding image, imitating the Droste effect. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Droste_effect

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 4:22:36 AM PST
A real fun thread going here!
1) S.G.T Peppers-The Beatles-After all these years, it's still fascinating to look at.
2) In The Court Of The Crimson King-I originally got this album just because of the cover! The music just happened to be great too.
3) The Ventures In Space-The car, the girl, the starlight night. It's perfect.
4) From The Inside-Alice Cooper-More for the back cover, when you open the the window flap. The album art is really lost here on CD.
5) Relics-Pink Floyd-There are 2 cover for this album. I am referring to the one with the strange face on it. I think that cover is only on vinyl, the other cover can't even compare with this one.
6) Boots-Nancy Sinatra-This album cover got me through puberity! Is there a more Tsexier look than this?
7) Through The Past Darkly-The Rolling Stones-It was not only the shape of the cover but I like the whole idea of their faces against the glass on the front and shattered on the back.
8) Music In A Dolls House-Family-Reminds me of a Twiligfht Zone episode. Kind of creepy but kind of fun too.
9) 5000 Spirits Or The Layer Of The Onion-The Incrediable String Band-Typical psychedelic art with beautiful colors
10) The Best Of The Strawbs-An only vinyl cover with delicious looking bright red strawberry's.
There are so many more I wanted to put but I HAVE to draw the line somewhere. Honerable mentions for Atom Heart Mother, Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here, Let It Bleed, High Tides And Green Grass Big Hits Vol 1-The Stones, The Who Sell Ou, Who's Next, Stand Up-Jethro Tull (vinyl), Parallel Lines-Blondie, Rubber Soul, Abbey Road, Born To Die-Grand Funk RR, Every Good Boy Deserves Favour-Moody Blues, Just A Collection Of Antiques And Curios, Ghosts and Burning For You-These last 3 are all The Strawbs.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 6:37:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2012 6:44:47 PM PST
onsenkuma says:
A few all time favorites:

KING CRIMSON: Lark's Tongues in Aspic; Islands
JOY DIVISION: Closer; Unknown Pleasures
DEXTER GORDON: One Flight Up
HAWKWIND: Space Ritual; In Search of Space
THE WHO: Quadrophenia
ECHO & THE BUNNYMEN: Ocean Rain
PIXIES: Dolittle
THE SOUND: From The Lion's Mouth
SANTANA: Lotus
KLAUS SCHULZE: Timewind
ALICE COOPER: School's Out
WEATHER REPORT: Mysterious Traveller
THE CLASH: Sandinista!
SECTION 25: Always Now
ROLLING STONES: Aftermath (UK)

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 6:17:59 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 4, 2013 11:55:08 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 5:47:18 PM PST
alexwilbury says:
The Band - The Band

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 9:38:13 PM PST
Ugly?

That cover (and inside spread) are really beautiful.
I would be so great to see Barry's original paintings as his work is very powerful.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 9:32:49 PM PST
Somebody posted they thought the first King Crimson album cover was ugly. Eye-catching ,yes and reminds me of a certain era of music. Ugly ?, no. Great album though.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 9:16:18 PM PST
Glad to see the first King Crimson record mentioned,
others of merit:

Abraxas ~ Santana
Happy Trails ~ Quicksilver Messenger Service
Bless it's Pointed Little Head ~ Jefferson Starship
Too many great covers from The Grateful Dead
but to go with one: "Grateful Dead" (Skull & Roses)

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 5:42:06 PM PST
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band or The Dark Side Of The Moon. I just can not decide.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 4:32:32 PM PST
MyRidesHere says:
UMMAGUMMA/Pink Floyd

Posted on May 14, 2012 10:30:35 PM PDT
In no particular order:

1. "In Requiem" by Paradise Lost
2. "The Age of Nero" by Satyricon
3. "Ghost Reveries" by Opeth
4. "Souls of Black" by Testament
5. "Liberty or Death" by Grave Digger
6. "Unseen" by Steel Prophet
6. "The Glorious Burden" by Iced Earth
7. "Death Magnetic" by Metallica
8. "All Shall Fall" by Immortal
9. "Surtur Rising" by Amon Amarth
10. "Inheritance" by Esqarial

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 4:28:10 AM PST
D. Mok says:
> I have the Japanese version. I don't think you could release it that way even today in the US.

You probably can. That cover is relatively tame compared to The Dwarves' Blood Guts and P*ssy, Handsome Furs' Sound Kapital, and Twilight Singers' "Black Is the Color of My True Love's Hair".

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 3:04:53 AM PST
The early Peter Gabriel Genesis albums - Trespass, Foxtrot, Nursery Cryme and Selling England by the Pound. Procol Harum's 3rd album A Salty Dog. The Moodies early albums esp EGBDF. Revolver and Abbey Road from the Fab Four. Dark Side of the Moon and Atom Heart Mother from PF. Let it Bleed from the stones. Boston's 1976 album. Bare Trees from Fleetwood Mac's 'lost years'. And the classic Little Feat covers such as Dixie Chicken. Oh and my all time fav - Love's Forever Changes. It also helps that I love all these very retro albums.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 10:13:37 PM PST
K. Neubauer says:
My friend just got off tour with THE DWARVES and mixed their last album!

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 2:26:32 PM PST
mac says:
Paladin "Charge" - Its a Roger Dean Classic!

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 1:52:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 6, 2012 4:25:16 PM PST
ZzBridges says:
Hendrix - Electric Ladyland non US version. I have the Japanese version. I don't think you could release it that way even today in the US.
This is even after Blind Faith released theirs with an underaged topless girl.
ELP - Brain Salad Surgery - I would sit and look at the cover while listening to the album and it fit perfectly.
Black Sabbath - First album for same reason as ELP.
Cream - Disareali Gears - With a black light.
Pink Floyd - Dark Side - So simple but goes perfectly with the contents.
Led Zep - IV - Only because they had a good reason and the clout to get away with it.
Almost as good is maybe In Through The Out Door where supposedly they did that because I think Grant said LZ could put an album out in a brown paper bag and still sell a million copies.
Janis Joplin - Pearl - Another "Because that's exactly what you get" on the inside. Janis!

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 1:18:26 PM PST
THE ORIGINAL BLIND FAITH ALBUM COVER

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 1:14:08 PM PST
THE DWARVES

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 4:14:07 AM PST
Spinal Tap - Smell The Glove

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 4:01:22 AM PST
Dark Side of the Moon- Pink Floyd
Clutching at Straws/Misplaced Childhood - Marillion
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  65
Total posts:  98
Initial post:  Jul 6, 2010
Latest post:  Dec 24, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions