Customer Discussions > Music forum

Who are your favorite Women Rockers?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 122 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 2:43:37 PM PST
stevign says:
Sounds like she's stuck in the 70s. Those songs all have kind of a Pop/Soul sound that was popular back then. Not my taste at all.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 3:00:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 3:01:27 PM PST
zlh67 says:
Oh well. One man's "stuck in the 70's" is another man's "timeless". I'm trying to think of a CD by a new artist that I like anywhere near as much as this one and the only one that's come close in the last 20+ years is the 2nd album by the Raconteurs ("Consoler of the Lonely").

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 3:06:13 PM PST
stevign says:
It's nice to find a new album/CD that excites, they're not all that common anymore.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 5:23:29 PM PST
JP says:
My girlfriend at the time had the 2 albums Heart put out in the mid-late 80s and the only song off either album I liked was "If Looks Could Kill" and even it had that "MTV polish" that went right along with the big hair and posing.

I have heard some of the newer Heart and, while better than mid-80s, it's still a pale shadow of their 70s output. Of course, that's just opinion. I did buy their Dreamboat Annie anniversary concert DVD, good stuff.

Of the modern female singers I like Simone Simmons voice, but mainly when she's guesting on other's albums. Don't like Epica much because, while I can tolerate growling in some bands, Epica isn't one of them.

Arjen Lucassen also uses a LOT of talented female vocalists, Heather Findlay being one of them. Floor and Irene Jansen, Marcia and Diana Bovio and many others.

Did Whale Tart somehow miss the multiple mentions of Pat Penatar on here?

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 6:41:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 6:48:20 PM PST
Chrissie Hynde of the Pretenders. A classic rock 'n roll voice that can be tough or tender and a great songwriter as well. "Back on the Chain Gang", "Brass in Pocket", "Mystery Achievement", "Middle of the Road", "I'll Stand By You"...all classic songs. She also has a terrific rock 'n roll look, especially when she was younger. I'm just wondering what the current status of the Pretenders is -- they haven't put out anything in a while.

Regarding the mentions of Pat Benatar: it's amazing that Ms. Benatar had a huge hit with a song that actually advocated domestic violence ("Hit Me With Your Best Shot").

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 6:46:20 PM PST
B-Jak says:
Somebody mentions a band opening for the Cramps and doesn't mention Poison Ivy?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:21:19 PM PST
zlh67 says:
"It's nice to find a new album/CD that excites, they're not all that common anymore."

---

Yeah, couldn't agree more. Even from established artists whose work I fully expect to like, most CD's are 50-75% solid at best, and even when they exceed that, if it's from an established act you already like, their new CD is rarely anything of a surprise. So it's always good indeed to find NEW bands. I guess some say that it's easier now than ever to find good new bands with the internet, etc., and I guess it is, but at the same time, there's such a proliferation of new bands trying to make it, I almost feel like finding what ones I might really, really like is like finding the proverbial needle in a haystack.

The last NEW band that put out a debut I really, really liked and that convinced me to buy everything that band did moving forward was LIVING COLOUR back, what, nearly a quarter century ago now?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:43:17 PM PST
stevign says:
The last CD I discovered and really fell for was Sunny Side Up by Paolo Nutini. The whole CD is great, I wish it had been a double-CD. The CD seems to stand off by itself, I don't care for any of his other CDs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jldn3MFL8fc&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVfRJ1pVd44&feature=related

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 9:36:05 PM PST
beach boy says:
Johnette Napolitano really kicks it, but I love the almost incomparable Anisa Romero of Sky Cries Mary!!!

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 11:43:36 PM PST
D. Vicks says:
Sara Lee from Gang Of Four.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 12:02:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 12:13:05 AM PST
Jevrick says:
Chrissie Hynde
Siouxsie Sioux
Joan Jett
Pat Benatar

"Hit Me With Your Best Shot" isn't literally about domestic violence. It's a tongue-in-cheek reference to cheating on someone.

"You're the real tough cookie with a long history
Of BREAKING LITTLE HEARTS like the one in me
That's ok let's see how you do it
Put up your dukes let's get down to it"

It also alludes to female empowerment:

"Knock me down, it's all in vain
I'll get right back up on my feet again"

Pat Benatar followed that song on her album with "Hell is for Children" which is an anti-child abuse song.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 2:29:54 AM PST
TheFoe says:
Ana Popovic, she has the whole package!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo4VCGHUY9E

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 5:04:10 AM PST
Working Man says:
Heart's newer albums are really good IMO, especially Jupiter's Darling. As for Alabama Shakes, I've checked them out a few times and they are just okay for me. I prefer Saint Jude, who's debut reminds me of a harder rock version of Grace Potter and the Nocturnals.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 5:42:21 AM PST
vivazappa says:
I'll hafta give Saint Jude a whirl...

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 8:59:42 AM PST
Although there are some female artists I like better, I think Chrissie Hynde is the best female ROCKER. Grace Slick and Janis Joplin come close but Chrissie plays guitar and just LOOKS so cool! But I agree she CAN be tender also. What really appeals to me is that sometimes rockers (male or female) lose the melodic aspects of a tune. Chrissie rarely does. She (as Elvis Costello says) pumps it up! But she manages to keep things strongly melodic too. I admit I was not a Pretenders fan right out of the box but when I did get it, Chrissie gave it to me pretty good! LOL.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 9:05:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 9:07:02 AM PST
Micaloneus says:
I don't know if Chrissie Hynde is the best female ROCKER.

I saw the Pretenders live in 1987 and they were boring. Just a terrible live band. Maybe they'd work better in a club, but not a stadium.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 10:31:53 AM PST
D. Vicks says:
Hope Nichols rocks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 11:08:20 AM PST
Whale Tart says:
Sorry, JP, I put Pat Benetar into the 'search discussion' and nothing popped up.
Too tired to check now, just wanted to add Allanah Myles in cases she has not been mentioned.
New rockers: I would have to say Beverley McLellan and Juliet Simms (Oh Darling) re-introduced me to some good old screaming rock vocals!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 11:11:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 11:14:34 AM PST
Stephen Delia says: "What really appeals to me is that sometimes rockers (male or female) lose the melodic aspects of a tune. Chrissie rarely does. She (as Elvis Costello says) pumps it up! But she manages to keep things strongly melodic too."

Exactly. That's what's so great about her. She really can rock but never loses sight of the need for a strong, memorable melody.

Micaloneus says: "I saw the Pretenders live in 1987 and they were boring. Just a terrible live band. Maybe they'd work better in a club, but not a stadium."

The Pretenders are a GREAT live band. Unfortunately, you saw them in 1987 when they had their weakest personnel line-up ever and had just finished putting out the second worst album they ever made -- 'Get Close', which was released in 1986. The worst was 'Loose Screw', released in 2002. All of their other albums are fantastic.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 11:27:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 11:49:29 AM PST
Stratocaster says:
I may be mistaken, but I don't believe I've seen Sarah McLachlan mentioned yet at all?
Since this is mostly men posting here, I'd have to assume that maybe she leans more towards a women's predilection in the female Rock vocal genre??

Personally, I think she's great.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 11:34:38 AM PST
Working Man,

Heart just always sounds to me like they are working too hard to be a female version of Led Zeppelin, especially on obvious copycat songs like "Barracuda" and "Magic Man", which sound like they could have been torn right out of Page and Plant's respective notebooks. Just my take on it.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 12:29:52 PM PST
Working Man says:
Heart was heavily influenced by Zeppelin. I would imagine it's difficult not sounding like or incorporating the sound of one of your influences. Also, I am a big Zeppelin fan so Heart that style of music is just fine with me. I think Heart definitely has their own sound while still being influenced by Zeppelin, the Who and others.

Actually, I was fan of Heart back in the 70's but not a huge fan. I have grown to appreciate them more as time has passed, especially their early albums. Ann Wilson's voice is still amazing and seeing them live a couple of summers ago just increased my appreciation. Their box set from last summer was really good and I am looking forward to hearing their latest album "Fanatic" which has been out for a month or so but I don't have it yet. Heart definitely has a Zeppelin sound but also their own as well that being said, Zeppelin isn't a bad band to emulate.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 12:41:55 PM PST
Working Man says:
vivazappa, if you or anyone else wants to check out Saint Jude you can try these links:

Official Prom video of "Soul on Fire":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P64RGr8twaQ

"Soul on Fire" from High Voltage Festival
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4YQtjTvH-k

Here's one of my favorites from the band:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeLpwGgEh_U

here's an acoustic song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyiQtzf5nFs

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 12:46:10 PM PST
Working Man says:
TheFoe, I have been meaning to check out Ana Popovic, she and Joanne Shaw Taylor are on my short list of female blues artists. I have sample Ana a couple of times and I think she's mostly blues if I remember correctly.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 12:54:49 PM PST
Working Man says:
Has anyone mentioned Sass Jordan?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5eSOGftP8w
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  59
Total posts:  122
Initial post:  Dec 12, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 18, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions