Customer Discussions > Music forum

The Beatles : American Music and The British Invasion

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 10000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:30:37 AM PST
MiBoDoCa says:
Buddy, why did The Beatles have to be in the thread title. Oh why oh why?

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 7:41:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 7:42:01 AM PST
Steelers fan says:
RE "If it wasn't them, it would have happened with a different band."

A basic rule of logic is that a negative can't be proven. This is a huge, gaping, general assumption. Yet, when you look at the U.S. charts in late 1963 and early 1964, or, for that matter, the entire period of time between the birth of rock and roll in the mid-Fifties and the British Invasion (approximately ten years), there is indeed a huge vacuum in the music which needed to be filled with--something. "I Want To Hold Your Hand" replaced Bobby Vinton's "There, I've Said It Again" at the top of the charts. Enough said.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 7:42:21 AM PST
Bernard, Some good Kinks songs there. I love the bells at the begining of Big Black Smoke also. Another great hidden gem by the Kinks is Love Me Till The Sun Shines which I beleive is a Dave Davies song.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 7:43:10 AM PST
Steelers fan says:
Dusty got the critical acclaim, but it was Pet Clark who was the female voice of the Invasion. She was all over the charts.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:44:03 AM PST
Eddie H. says:
Stephen...Great Dave Davies song from Something Else....

Eddie

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 7:44:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 7:49:01 AM PST
John Lennon also said "i don't believe in Elvis"

Top Brit bands of the 60's

Beatles
Stones
Dave clark 5
Animals
Searchers
Hollies
Zombies
Kinks
Who
Bee Gee's
Herman's hermits
gerry & pacemakers
Peter & gordon
the yardbirds
Manfred Mann
Dusty Springfield
Petula Clark
------------------

American band s of the 60's

The Rascals
the Beach boys
The Ronettes
The 4 seasons
The lovin Spoonful
Tommy James & shondells
Mitch Ryder & Detroit wheels
The temptations
The 4 tops
the Supremes
The byrds
Simon & garfunkel
Otis redding
The righteou Bros.
Sam & dave
Jr walker & the allstars
3 dog night
shadows of knight

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:46:55 AM PST
H&L says:
Steelers,

I consider them the two bookend of female vocie of the invasion. Love them both.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 7:50:52 AM PST
Steelers fan says:
The first U.S. Who single, "I Can't Explain" b/w "Bald-Headed Woman", came out in December, 1964. It made the Hot 100 (barely), peaking at no. 93. So, the group was indeed part of the original Invasion, though behind the groups who had released material earlier in the year.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 7:51:54 AM PST
My 10 favorite solo acts.

Dylan
Elvis
John Lennon
Roy Orbison
Del Shannon
Smokey Robinson
Chuck Berry
Buddy Holly
Neil Young
Van Morrison

John

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 7:53:40 AM PST
steeler fan

beside "you really got me" & all day & all of the night by the Kinks, "I can't explain" by WHO is one of the greatest 2 min power pop records ever made..IMO.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 7:55:38 AM PST
Steelers fan says:
Yep. Those sharp, stabbing chords. You can see the Mods, hopped up on speed, on their scooters, ready to do battle with the Rockers.

Hey, still sorry about the Giants Sunday. Don't worry, Eli will get his groove back.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:10:24 AM PST
H&L says:
John,

Here is my list,

Elton John
All four Beatles members as solo artist (count this as one)
Buddy Holly
Chuck Berry
Elvis
Brian Wilson
Joni Mitchel
Otis Reddy
Paul Simon
Tom Waits

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:50:21 AM PST
Hinch,

Congratulations! You and your group finished that last thread in record time. Once again you have chosen a great subject for discussion on this new thread!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:16:22 AM PST
Severin says:
And don't forget Marianne Faithfull. She had a number of hit singles before becoming a heroin addict. She made a great comeback in 1979 with "Broken English."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:23:36 AM PST
Thanks, Eddie! We miss you on the Kinks game thread!

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 9:34:41 AM PST
r. f. says:
Doesn't this thread really ask the question?

Why are so many of these great bands NOT in the ROCK & ROLL HALL ???????????????????

For the U.S. = The DOOBIE BROTHERS.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:35:05 AM PST
Joyce,

As I recall, at the time, The Original British Invasion included groups charting circa 1964 - 1966.
These included The Beatles, Stones, Hermits, Animals, Hollies, DC5, Gerry & The Pacemakers, Billy J. Kramer, Kinks, Who etc.

From 1967 there was *Another* influx which, even at the time, I believe, was referred to as a "Second Wave" British Invasion. These groups included The Moody Blues, Cream, Procol Harum, The Bee Gees, Deep Purple, Badfinger, Led Zeppelin, etc. At the time "Purple Haze" was released, the Jimi Hendrix Experience was also considered British in that their debut album had been released in England months earlier than in the US and it wasn't generally known that Hendrix was from Seattle.

So I guess it depends on whether we're focusing primarily on the Original 1st Wave British Invasion or including the 2nd.

Assuming we're focusing on the 1st Wave from 1964 - 1966, here's my list of favorites:

British:

Beatles
Hollies
Stones
Animals
Hermits
Who
Gerry & The Pacemakers
DC5
Peter & Gordon
Seekers

US:

Byrds
Mamas & Papas
Beach Boys
Bobby Fuller 4
Monkees
Turtles
Loving Spoonful
Simon & Garfunkel
Everly Brothers
Grass Roots

All charted from 1964 - 1966.

If we're including artists from the entire decade of the 60s, let me know and I'll revise my list accordingly.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:49:28 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Stephen:
i agree! many great bands! (btw, i haven't heard of Fairport Convention before...can you enlighten me? please forgive my ignorance...i don't get out much! lol!)
thanks for the post!
love,
joyce :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:50:32 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Don:
yes...i LOVE DB too! that's why i said before there are more great bands/individual artists than you realize, until you are forced or compelled to list them all, and then you see, wow!
love,

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:01:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 11:37:35 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Bernard, and ALL:
i received 3 cds in the mail the other day....all Donovan! (recommended by Ronct, you, and several others here as well! they are:
1. Hurdy Gurdy Man
2. Troubadour
3. a gift from a flower to a garden
haven't listened yet, as things have been a little wild here again (i'm okay), but will soon!
also, don't know if i mentioned, but i correspond with John's half sister, Julia (Baird) via fb private messaging, and she has recently revised the book she wrote about John. It is called: Imagine This: Growing Up with My Brother John Lennon. I ordered it from her (i had the original also...bought it ages ago, before we became acquainted), as well as an interview she gave and taped of her and Paul McCartney, which is called: 'Paul Talks: Paul McCartney in Conversation' (i think it's mostly about the old days, but i haven't listened to it yet). i just got it in the mail at the end of last week, and what with the hurricane on the east coast, and other things around here, haven't gotten to either yet. She has a website where she is selling them from, and if anyone is interested, i can let you know. i don't think they are being sold on Amazon....both reasonably priced, and both look interesting. anyway, since this is still technically a beatles forum, wanted to let you all know....i will let you know what i think of both, after i have had a chance to read/listen myself..... :)
so, back to Donovan, i love him, and i too prefer his acoustic stuff, or at least earlier rather than later...i am really anxious to hear the 3 cds i got the other day, and will definitely be downloading them to my music library/iPod library as well! thanks so much for the recommendation, to all who did the recommending! I do LOVE Donovan, and think he is often overlooked, and deserves to be 'heard', and his 'place' in the music scene..... :)
love,

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:02:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 11:38:26 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Don and Eddie:
i also really like DB a lot, and i agree, Eddie....lots of his early stuff, although 'out there', was often very very good! i just like him, period! besides, no one can be too 'out there' for me! :)
love,

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:03:39 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Eddie and Mitch:
i think they are awesome, but that's okay....i still love you both so much, even when you are wrong...(i am kidding!!! :)
love,

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:06:02 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Bernard, Don, and All:
hey, a 'laughing gnome' is better than no 'gnome' at all, imo!!! (lol!)
(been hanging around Don too long, but i love him! he is just so funny, and much better at the 'delivery' than i am! some things just can't be taught, you know? :) really, Don, you are perfect the way you are! really! :)
love,

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:07:32 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Eddie:
i am going, but not till Feb. 1 (Oakland Arena)...let me know, if you end up going, what you thought....i'd say 'go', if you have the chance....(and i am not a big 'who' fan, but i still think they are one of the greats....)
love,

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:08:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 11:39:09 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Eddie:
didn't know he had a (heart attack)....lol, no wonder why he has been keeping such a low profile, lately! hope he is okay!
love,
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  49
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Nov 6, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 24, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions