http://grooveshark.com/#!/search?q=All+Nite+wendy+%26+lisa
Charlotte Hatherley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_xHLEPufzA
St Vincent
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J_49iL096M

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 7:08:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 7:09:34 AM PST
vivazappa says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 7:24:46 AM PST
Stratocaster says:
To be hated by Elvis Fan must mean you're doing somthing RIGHT.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 9:22:24 AM PST
stevign says:
re: "Elvis Fan will hate you!"

Well ya win some, ya lose some.

re: "And who are these dolts voting "No" on your brilliant post?"

The Illuminati, they've been trying to shut me up for years.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 9:30:59 AM PST
How about Tal Wilkenfeild ? She plays bass for Jeff Beck presently. She Walks Hard according to Dewey Cox, unless we're just discussing singers.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 9:52:15 AM PST
Glyn Styler says:
Laura Nyro
Nico
Patti Smith
Joni Mitchell
Marianne Faithfull
Grace Slick
Dusty Springfield
Carole King
Bjork
Nancy Sinatra

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 11:04:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 12:50:36 PM PST
zlh67 says:
I was JUST watching Tal play "Cause We've Ended As Lovers" with Jeff Beck from the 2006 Crossroads Guitar Festival on YouTube this a.m. and.... yeah. Wow. Girl has crazy skills slappin de bass. Her solo in that song actually manages to overshadow Beck and THAT ain't easy to do. He even gives a couple of bows as she's winding it down. That's gotta boggle the mind of a twenty-something bass player (male or female) on stage with Jeff freakin' BECK, no matter how talented they are!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 12:17:29 PM PST
Stratocaster says:
Tal Wilkenfeld could make Jaco stand up and take a bow!

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 12:18:48 PM PST
Stratocaster says:
Bonnie Raitt - strong vox, and great slide guitarist!

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 1:56:07 PM PST
R. Myers says:
Gin Wigmore- she's from New Zealand-bluesy voice, some great songwriting and a really tight band. Kind of r and b, a little pop, but so damn good and lots of fun. I'd never even heard of her two weeks ago. I hope she makes it big enough down under to come to the US and tour. Several videos of her on youtube. Live version of a song called Don't Stop is amazing.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 3:14:41 PM PST
stevign says:
Perhaps describing her voice as "Bluesy" isn't all that accurate, If she has one, she hides it extremely well. She has a good Pop music voice though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCLwfiZ-rM0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7aNKstBCM4

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 4:39:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 4:40:56 PM PST
Dee Zee says:
More blues but susan tedeschi is good.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 5:21:09 PM PST
JP says:
Whale Tart,

4 mentions of Pat Benatar prior to your post, one a response to a question.

No Pat Benetar though, maybe that's what threw off the search. I always like the search engines that find it even if you just get close enough, or say "did you mean....."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 9:36:23 PM PST
Dee Zee says: "More blues but susan tedeschi is good."

I saw her live, and she is one hell of a guitar player ! Not a bad singer either. I guess it also helps being married to another unbelievable guitarist, Derek Trucks. When they practice at home together, it must make for one tough, low down, bluesy Delta sound.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 2:21:25 PM PST
AJA says:
When she chooses to, Wynonna can sing rock as well as any female artist. Ann Wilson is another outstanding rock singer.
More blues oriented, but Lou Ann Barton and Angela Strehli can both belt 'em out.
I agree with those praising Linda Ronstadt; she had a terrific voice.
Surprised no one has mentioned Tina Turner. That woman could sing rock at any age.
Laura Branigan (anybody remember her from the 80's?) had a powerful voice.
Also liked Dusty Springfield and Wanda Jackson.
And last but not least, Joan Jett.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 8:20:50 PM PST
Music Hound says:
I've gotta go with Ann and Nancy Wilson. Just cut out that 80's stuff. It doesn't count.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 9:18:44 PM PST
ravager814 says:
Kim Gordon
Chrissie Hynde
Lita Ford
Liz Phair

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 4:06:15 PM PST
Hinch says:
Grace Slick, Chrissie Hynde, Melissa Etheridge, Kate Bush, Annie Lennox, Joan Jett, Pat Benatar, Tina Turner, Stevie Nicks, Tori Amos.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 4:13:16 PM PST
Hinch says:
AJA, Speaking of country singers, Tanya Tucker could also rock. In her early years she was called by some, 'the female Elvis'.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 6:28:01 PM PST
B-Jak says:
Concrete Blonde just popped up on my iTunes. Jeanette Neopolitano is freakin' awesome.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 5:15:56 PM PST
JP says:
I stumbled across the infamous and elusive Renaissance Sight and Sound concert on YouTube yesterday ($75 for a USED DVD the last time I saw it!!) and streamed it in the living room this afternoon. Some wonderful soul uploaded the WHOLE thing!!

I have to say I was IMPRESSED at the quality of the thing. Whoever did it obviously took it off the DVD and did a DARN good job too.

I had it seriously cranked during Mother Russia and Running Hard while cleaning the kitchen and it sounded GOOD.

Reminded me what a helluva singer Annie Haslam was/is. Serious set of pipes on that woman!! I remember reading that she had to rein herself in back in the early days, when they had a cheap PA, because she would literally overpower it, causing all kinds of feedback.

Since they were a fairly mellow, traditional progressive rock band, and she was opera trained, I wouldn't say she "rocked out" but still....one of the best female singers in the 70s, hands down.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 8:14:05 PM PST
RE: She plays bass for Jeff Beck presently.

Tal hasn't played with Beck for a few years now, I believe not since 2009. She was not wth him on his last tour.

I don't know their status, if there was some kind of falling out or not or if they've just gone different directions. He's been quoted as highly complimentary of her in the past, so assuming no real problem, I wouldn't be surprised to see them collaborate again.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 8:19:46 PM PST
RE: That's gotta boggle the mind of a twenty-something bass player (male or female) on stage with Jeff freakin' BECK, no matter how talented they are!

Ya'd think so; it struck me as an odd collaboration when I first became aware of it.

But maybe the fact that she was so successful with Beck was because she was not so awed. Beck has intimated, in so many words, that she has uncommon confidence and presence in addition to talent.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  59
Total posts:  122
Initial post:  Dec 12, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 18, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions