Customer Discussions > Music forum

Rolling Stones fans, I have a question....

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 389 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 10:01:19 AM PST
If you were really a die-hard Stones fan, you wouldn't be saying that. You'd know there was a huge gap in time between the release of "High Tide and Green Grass" and the release of "HTW".....three years. in fact.

And three years was a long, long time in that era. It was a long jump from "19th Nervous" and "Paint It Black" to "Gimme Shelter" and YCAGWYW.....a big change from Brian Jones to Mick Taylor. The Stones went psychedelic and came all the way back during that period of time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 10:20:15 AM PST
onsenkuma,

I may be biased with regard to Hot Rocks as I owned the album a couple of times, the cassette, and then the CD. It's just one of those releases that became an institution all its own, unusual for a compilation. I had most of the other records too, but in those days without the easy instant gratification of pushing a button to hear whatever track you wanted to hear, I liked Hot Rocks' "summary" of the band's career to that point.

I was just reading about its release and had forgotten about all the legal wrangling over it that involved Allen Klein. I have lots of books on the Stones but it's been years since I've read them, and I had forgotten the oddity of the two tracks from Sticky Fingers on it -- Rolling Stones Records tracks that ended up on a London release.

I also liked TSMR. I don't think it was a great album, but it's part of their history and it has some good stuff on it. One side of the coin is to pan it, but the other side holds that it's one of the better psychedelic albums made; you just have to compare it to other psychedelic albums rather than to other Stones albums, and it doesn't hold up badly. Throw in "Dandelion" and "We Love You," which would have fit nicely on the album if they hadn't followed the standard of not putting singles on albums, and it would have been that much better. There were a couple of cuts that would not have been missed greatly by most people.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 10:30:04 AM PST
TSMR is one of the best psychedelic records of the 60s. It's not a very Stonesish record so it gets panned just for that alone. Yup, some weaker cuts but the whole thing together is one wild trip!

Wow, now if you throw in the "We Love You" single you are talking a near classic. And by the way, "2000 Man" is one of my all time favorite Stones songs. I wish it got more recognition. I don't think it's ever been on a compilation.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 11:15:20 AM PST
Dee Zee says:
I created a custom copy of TSMR that trims the sound collages and adds WE LOVE YOU, DANDELION and CHILD OF THE MOON. love that version.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 11:24:07 AM PST
I was looking at an old thread on underrated Stones songs and saw you named "2000 Man" as a Top 5 underrated. I couldn't agree more, and I agree with "Backstreet Girl" as well. I'd add "One Hit" and would really have to think about the other two.

Maybe I was at an impressionable age, 13, when TSMR came out, but I loved most all of the garage and psychedelic stuff. So for me, the album was right down my alley. And though it was a departure, the band had been leaving a few hints of what was to come with the prior sitar work and songs like "Goin' Home"

In retrospect, I do think that the way the album fits into their catalog feels a little forced. Rather than taking that as a negative, though, I think it's a feather in their caps that it came out as good as it did. It's a tribute to their abilities, IMO. For example, a band like Cream sounded totally within their element with psychedelia; the Stones only somewhat so. But they pulled it off, IMO, pretty well.

I'd have liked to see "Dandelion" follow "She's a Rainbow" on the album. It's a silly little ditty, really, but it's got a light, catchy melody that would have worked in that spot.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 11:32:41 AM PST
"Dandelion" is a great tune. "2000 Man" was covered by Kiss. Sung by Ace Frehley.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 12:02:13 PM PST
In The Beatles Anthology George was saying that he felt the others like some of his Indian experimentations because it's always nice to have something coming out of leftfield. That's exactly how I feel about Satantic Majesties. In fact quite often I like when someone has a track on an album that is leftfield or in this case a whole album's worth. And while it's no Let It Bleed or Beggars Banquet or some of the other classic Stones album, it's really not bad. Of course I am a big fan o psychedelic music too so perhaps I am slightly biased. But sometimes when I am listening to the album I think, if someone had done this would it have gotten as panned as it did. And yes, We Love You and especially Dandelion would have really uped the anti!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 12:31:16 PM PST
My custom TSMR opens with Child of the Moon in place of Sing This All Together, drops Gomper and replaces it with We Love You, then closes with Dandelion in place of On with the Show.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 12:38:25 PM PST
The Pain of Love! How can that down and gritty rock sludge be considered lacklustre? I have a friend who says it is his favorite on the album. Feel on Baby I really like, could have fit on Black And Blue or side 3 of Exile.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 12:39:48 PM PST
I simply put "We Love You" in place of "Sing This All Together (See What Happens)" and "Dandelion" in place of "The Lantern". "Gomper" is an *absolute* keeper for me. "Child Of The Moon" is a beautiful song that fits the vibe of the album, but it's out of the running for me as only a very rough take of the song was actually recorded during the TSMR sessions. Whenever I do alt versions of albums, I always try to stick to songs from the album sessions themselves. There's an incredible, very Stones-like jam called I think "Title 15" that stems from the "Satanic" sessions, that should have had lyrics added and then completed for the album. It almost sounds like one of the rockier cuts from "Beggars". In fact, there's several "Satanic" outtakes that already presage the return to a rootsy, blusier sound found on the following album ("Gold Painted Fingernails", etc.).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 12:40:54 PM PST
I would say the Brussels Affair is much better than the Leeds concert. You will be happy with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 12:56:17 PM PST
Not sure if it is the tone, drums, or what, but Child Of The Moon sure sounds like it has the same *sound* as Jumping Jack Flash. Like there is a time shift between that sound and Her Majesties sound.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 1:01:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 1:02:47 PM PST
@SA: that's because the released version of COTM that was the b-side of "Jumping Jack Flash" was recorded at exactly the same time during the early "Beggar's" sessions in March of '68. The rough take I referred to (basically just the band fiddling around with the basic melody on acoustic guitars) was first attempted in Aug/Sep of '67 for "Satanic" but it was not worked on any more at that time until the next album sessions came around again. This is why the song has the same kind of cosmic "vibe" and lyrical content of the "Satanic" era, along with the more stripped down rock style of JJF and "Beggars". An interesting hybrid, I wish they had pursued a little longer.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 1:06:38 PM PST
Highwire was a single but was it really a hit?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 1:14:20 PM PST
I really like the 2 new songs, to me they sound like something that would have come out right after Woody joined.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 1:21:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 1:23:12 PM PST
July 2nd 67 ~ Is this it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjt_1VcihOY

I see now there are several early versions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs5-fIJae8w

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 1:25:15 PM PST
The problem I have with Child is what Topper states below, different session. I also feel On with the Show is a good closer and if I removed anything, the first song would be Sing This All Together (See What Happens).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 1:27:24 PM PST
Sing This All together
Citadel
In Another Land
2,000 Man
We Love You

She's a Rainbow
Dandelion
Gomper
2,000 light Years
On with the Show

Topper?? For once I agree with you completely..LOL... THIS would be killer! I will have to make a copy!

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 1:31:00 PM PST
Check out the extended version of "Gomper"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgefG_Y-fu8

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 1:54:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 6:38:27 PM PST
Dee Zee says:
See, I'm not a purist CHILD OF THE MOON sounds right at home on my custom TSMR. It's the audio collages that go on too long for me.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 2:50:21 PM PST
@Dee Zee: "Child Of The Moon" sits well with TSMR, it's certainly a great song, it's just that I like to see what the artists could have done strictly with what they had to work with during the particular sessions for the album. But I'm certainly not against a version of TSMR with "Moon" on it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 5:56:28 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 5:57:42 PM PST
onsenkuma says:
I've always felt that Child of The Moon has a one-last-gasp-of-psychedelic feel to it that sets it apart from Jumpin' Jack Flash and everything after, and makes it more a kindred spirit to TSMR. I'd certainly add it (and the Dandelion/We Love You single) to a custom mix of TSMR, but NOT at the sacrifice of other tracks. Ok so the album's a bit dodgy in places, but IMO it's also a classic of a (one of a) kind, and like Beggars Banquet or The Beatles (White album) needs no pruning. It's perfect/imperfect just as it is...

BTW, I blame ALL who post on this thread for the fact that my CD changer is currently loaded with Aftermath (UK), Flowers, TSMR, Beggars Banquet and Through The Past Darkly - on shuffle play no less. See what kind of influence you all are? That's right: you've become the kind of people your parents warned you about! But that's cool; I was corrupted by this great music a long, long time ago, so cheers...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 6:34:16 PM PST
It's ( 2000 Man) on my self made playlist compilation, though I guess that doesn't count.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 6:39:43 PM PST
I keep thinking Lennon /McCartney did the backing vocals for 'Dandelion' but it's never been stated or credited as such. Those backing vocals don't sound like the Stones. I know John and Paul appeared on 'We Love You'.

"I Am Waiting" would be the most underrated song on 'Aftermath' although film maker Wes Anderson showed some appreciation for it by including it in 'Rushmore'.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 6:50:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 6:50:55 PM PST
RE: I keep thinking Lennon /McCartney did the backing vocals for 'Dandelion' but it's never been stated or credited as such. Those backing vocals don't sound like the Stones. I know John and Paul appeared on 'We Love You'.

I've never checked that out, but the L/M contribution on "We Love You" is well-established. I'll have to have another listen to Dandelion and do a little googling when I get a chance. A quick check on Songfacts didn't reveal anything.

I have an outtake of Dandelion in its infancy, two minutes of Keith (I think) humming the melody.

"Rushmore" had some stuff that wasn't too common. I remember Donovan's "Jersey Thursday".....hadn't heard it in many, many years. I'd forgotten about it, in fact. I've ended up using it as a little (good) filler on a couple of mixed CDs when I needed a song around two minutes.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Thank you for your support of Amazon Discussion Forums. Due to the changing needs of Amazon Forums, we have decided to stop supporting the ‘Active discussions in related forums’ feature in order to focus on providing the most value for our customers.  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  35
Total posts:  389
Initial post:  Jan 4, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 7, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions