Customer Discussions > Music forum

Madonna , immaculate collection remastered,, anyone else excited?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 38 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 27, 2012 1:00:15 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
Yup. And I think Madonna herself actually sued a fan for distributing one of her new (at the time) singles, and won.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 7:40:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 7:44:53 PM PST
D. Mok says:
> There's something called "intellectual property rights" that ensures that I would never be charged for doing what I do

You know *nothing*. "Intellectual property rights" is precisely why you're not allowed to duplicate and distribute copyrighted works. Just making ONE copy is piracy. The only leeway there is would be if you made an MP3 from a CD, for your own personal listening purposes. But if you gave the MP3 to 50 people, that's piracy and illegal distribution. If you made "thousands of copies", as you're bragging, you will have no defense against accusations of illegal distribution.

> all they can do is issue a "cease and desist" letter

Wrong. They can choose to sue you and pursue punitive damages as well. This is precisely what the RIAA did with Napster users who put thousands of files online for millions of strangers to download, and thought that if they weren't profiting from their piracy, they couldn't be held liable. Instead, those users were liable for five, six figures in damages -- a fine for every single instance of their illegal distribution. And I say, they deserved it -- it's thievery based on personal greed.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 7:05:18 PM PST
B. rogers says:
It's strange that this is your answer to my question of whether Madonna has had more Top-40 singles than any other artist.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 11:39:04 AM PST
musicman says:
It figures that sheeple believe the FBI disclaimer on the backs of CDs.

There's something called "intellectual property rights" that ensures that I would never be charged for doing what I do-all they can do is issue a "cease and desist" letter, which I, of course would ignore.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 8:19:25 AM PST
B. rogers says:
Hasn't Madonna had more top 40 singles than any other artist in history?

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 2:17:49 PM PST
D. Mok says:
> Secondly, the target audience of a greatest hits package isn't gonna want to sit through three discs of hits.

Of course it's possible to release a three-disc set. It's just a different format -- it would be geared towards the boxed-set customer, who is comprising a larger and larger share of CD buyers. People are shelling out less money for single albums, preferring MP3 downloads, while boxed sets have retained and grown its small yet avid target customer base. Madonna has more than enough hits for a boxed set.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:35:46 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
"And if she's got more amazing hits than is physically possible to release in a 2-disc set, then why not put out a 3-disc set?"

Because first of all, 3-disc sets are more expensive. Secondly, the target audience of a greatest hits package isn't gonna want to sit through three discs of hits. That's overkill. Dedicated fans would in a heartbeat, but not casual fans.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 7:14:19 PM PST
D. Mok says:
> That's called pirating if I charge money for it.
> If I give them away, they're called 'gifts'. Once I pay for it, I can burn a thousand copies and give them away.

WRONG.

http://www.riaa.com/physicalpiracy.php?content_selector=What-is-Online-Piracy

"Criminal copyright infringement including infringement without monetary gain, is investigated by the FBI and is punishable by up to 5 years in federal prison and a fine of $250,000."
- FBI Anti-Piracy Warning

Enjoy your jail time.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 6:47:33 PM PST
musicman says:
That's called pirating if I charge money for it.

If I give them away, they're called 'gifts'. Once I pay for it, I can burn a thousand copies and give them away.

And if she's got more amazing hits than is physically possible to release in a 2-disc set, then why not put out a 3-disc set?

If they did this right, people would flock to it. Instead, they give you 3/4 of what you'd want. No wonder people download.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 4:09:32 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
Every Madonna greatest hits has glaring omissions, sadly. But it could be seen as a good thing...when even the 36-track Celebration can still have omissions, it just means she's got more amazing hits than is physically possible to release in a 2-disc set!

And yeah...I wouldn't brag about making free copies for your friends on the internet.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 3:21:44 AM PST
D. Mok says:
> Plus, all my friends want copies, which I supply for FREE

Yeah. That's called "pirating".

As for record companies not giving you what you want: a) Nobody forced you to buy The Immaculate Collection; b) How do you think you got the original remastered editions? They were released.

If you think records are overpriced (even when each song costs 1/6 of a Starbucks latte), if you think concerts are too expensive, DON'T BUY.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 8:32:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 8:43:59 PM PST
musicman says:
Already made my own "Immaculate Collection" on my iTunes - it runs 28 tracks, I used the original remastered albums, and it also includes 10 extended dance mixes, and it's missing NONE of her remarkable string of hits from "Everybody" to "Rescue Me".

The original "Immaculate Collection" was a decent collection, but marred by the dreadful edits, the glaring omissions, and the horrible Q-sound "surround" mixes. Better to make my own than to keep buying substandard crap from record companies that won't give us what we want, anyway. Plus, all my friends want copies, which I supply for FREE so THEY won't have to buy substandard crap from record companies that won't give us what we want, anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 3:46:05 PM PST
B. rogers says:
Garion...oh, I know you're not saying "I'm wrong"...that's why I prefaced my response with the obligatory "Different Strokes". And while our tastes differ I *do* wholeheartedly agree that Madonna is a multi-faceted "package". That's not a bad thing...in fact...it makes her iconic and unique.

There's only ONE Madonna!

;)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 12:06:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 12:07:08 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
"You would place the electronically processed vocals over her natural voice that could be found on "Like A Prayer"?"

Actually, yes. Madonna has never been a strong singer...it's always been about the whole package with her: adequate vocals, amazing performances, strong and smart production. Since 1996, after she got some vocal training for Evita, her natural voice has gotten MUCH better. Her live shows since 2001 and the entirety of the American Life album show that with minimal processing she can still sound good. On Like a Prayer and I'm Breathless, her voice was pretty flat.

By the way, I'm not saying that you're wrong or anything. I totally appreciate that people love Like a Prayer as much as they do, and everyone's entitled to their own opinion. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 7:47:03 AM PST
club 7 says:
i too don't like the edits on immaculate especially borderline which is one of my faves but its a sentimental fave and a great collection minus the edits.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 7:42:42 AM PST
club 7 says:
garrion:
i think like a prayer needs a remaster but i have to say that like a prayer is worthy because it does include some personal songs like oh father that are to me are of extreme quality.
dear jessie is beautiful too and express yourself is one of her best dance songs.
i also love cherish as it's one of her most catchy and fun songs.
like a prayer to me was her most ambitious album up to that time and still one of her best though confessions for me kills it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 4:56:49 PM PST
B. rogers says:
Different strokes, I guess. I personally LOVE the way her voice sounds on "I'm Breathless" and "Like A Prayer". Her style of singing from "Ray Of Light" and after leaves me cold.

RE:"As for Like a Prayer, it does get played occasionally, but I almost want to say I place it below Hard Candy, which is already near the bottom of my list. When I hear "Spanish Eyes" I cringe...like nails on a chalkboard. That album and I'm Breathless are definitely her worst when it comes to the quality of her vocals."

You would place the electronically processed vocals over her natural voice that could be found on "Like A Prayer"?

P.S.-"Spanish Eyes" is beautiful.

;)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 4:46:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 4:48:21 PM PST
B. rogers says:
Ahhhh yes...the original album version is vastly superior to the remix. They were playing that horrible remix on the radio before the Blonde Ambition Tour was close to happening(if I remember correctly). One of the things that was most beautiful about "Like A Prayer" was the vast, open and epic production. That remix compressed everything...I forgot that "Immaculate Collection" had that version.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 12:30:30 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
Erotica was WAY ahead of its time when it released in 1992. It was fairly underappreciated, but nowadays most fans acknowledge it as a fantastic album. The accompanying Girlie Show tour was flawless, and made that album seem even more artistic. With Ray of Light and Music, she pretty much made the careers of William Orbit and Mirwais.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 12:27:54 PM PST
D. Mok says:
> The 90's was without a doubt her most artistic and unique era.

While I can't stand Ray of Light, I'd have to agree. Madonna did take some major risks in the '90s. Erotica was a major left turn, and taken right after her massive success with Dick Tracy, "Vogue", and "Justify My Love". That takes guts.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 12:25:22 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
Agreed 100%. The 90's was without a doubt her most artistic and unique era. During that time, she set out to define pop music, not just follow the latest trends. I really wish she'd feel that spark again...I was expecting this kind of sound with MDNA, and while that's not a bad album, it doesn't have that sense of identity that all her other albums have (including Hard Candy).

As for Like a Prayer, it does get played occasionally, but I almost want to say I place it below Hard Candy, which is already near the bottom of my list. When I hear "Spanish Eyes" I cringe...like nails on a chalkboard. That album and I'm Breathless are definitely her worst when it comes to the quality of her vocals.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 12:16:42 PM PST
Oh Garion, I'm so happy to hear someone else say Like a Prayer is overrated, lol. Not that I don't still love it - in fact the only "bad" Madonna record is Hard Candy, in my opinion - but if I were to rank my favorite M albums it definitely wouldn't crack my top 5. While a remaster would be welcome regardless, I'd like to see her 90's material spruced up a bit, since that's when I feel she peaked artistically.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 11:51:04 AM PST
D. Mok says:
> The title track and "Express Yourself" are incredible and iconic songs, but the rest of the album is extremely weak, IMO.

Like a Prayer is her strongest album, hands down. "Cherish" is a bit dated, but "Spanish Eyes", "Oh Father" and "Till Death Do Us Part" rank among Madonna's best songs. The only difference is that Like a Prayer is less of a dance record and more rock.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 11:46:34 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
That's a good point, about the flow of the album (and Immaculate was my first Madonna album too!). My problem with Immaculate Collection vs. Celebration is that the edits are all over the place on Immaculate. In particular, Celebration has the original album version of "Like a Prayer" instead of that awful remix used in the Blond Ambition Tour, which worked on a live show but not as an homage to one of the best moments of her career.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 4:46:20 AM PST
club 7 says:
garrion:
celebration may have most of the songs but i like the flow of immaculate. i like the particular set up of the songs and it was my first madonna album too. not crazy about her post immaculate stuff except of confessions and ray of light. those 2 and in particular confessions are two of her best.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  38
Initial post:  Dec 11, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 27, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions