Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Music forum

Hardest songs by a soft rock group/ artist.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 92 posts in this discussion
Posted on Apr 17, 2016 7:16:01 AM PDT
Kicks - Paul Revere & The Raiders
This was an anti-drug song but at least in rocked.

Posted on Jun 25, 2013 9:23:51 PM PDT
SuziBeth says:
Steamroller Blues - James Taylor

Posted on Jun 25, 2013 8:20:07 PM PDT
SpencerB says:
You're No Good - Linda Ronstadt

Posted on Jun 25, 2013 6:11:12 PM PDT
Trouble Every Day - The Mothers of Invention
Joe Public - The Rutles

Posted on Jun 25, 2013 3:38:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 25, 2013 6:17:05 PM PDT
So many people think Neil Young hasn't made an album since Harvest back in the early seventies. I went and saw the show last summer and Crazy Horse and Neil were having big fun on stage. In the middle of "Fu****g Up" Neil went into a mind-blowing solo of feedback and glorious white noise that would have made Philip Glass weep and I was enjoying the hell outta this show and sure enough some bozo right off to my left yells: "Heart Of Gold" and ruins the moment quite well.

"Rockin' In The Free World" is my favorite 'hard' Neil song but, there are plenty of others.

Posted on Jun 20, 2013 8:11:01 PM PDT
I love this question! I'll kind of expand it from soft rock to folky type. The last song on Michelle Shocked's album Short Sharp Shocked is a real rocker, "Fogtown" Really cool. With an -X- type feel in the duet vocals and a real heavy song from a more folky type record.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2013 1:46:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 20, 2013 1:47:09 PM PDT
Firefall, got a mention above and "Strange Way" is good but it has a lot of mellow parts contained within so I'll stick with Firefall but I give the nod to "So Long" and it's great guitar parts. This was a fantastic band!

Poco, has "Under The Gun" and it's a brisk hard rock romp with mean ponies....
One of their best tunes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 8:49:42 AM PST
J. Coco says:
Ambrosia's "Life Beyond LA" rocks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 8:48:53 AM PST
J. Coco says:
John Cougar Mellencamp's "Uh-Huh" album, which includes "Authortity Song", has some cool rockers.

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 6:22:03 AM PST
vivazappa says:
Authority Song--John Cougar Watermellon

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 3:00:54 PM PST
This song only qualifies as "hard" when compared to the majority of her music...

"State of Grace", the opening track on Taylor Swift's "Red" CD.

It is by far the most unique (and my personal favorite) "Taylor Swift" song that I have heard (I am not a Country Music fan).

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 5:17:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 5:19:02 PM PST
Jeff P. says:
Hideaway by Chicago definitively...a hard rocking song by a soft rock band.

The Moody Blues had quite a few,but i guess them being more a prog rock than soft rock band justifies that..but Just a Singer in a Rock and Roll Band,The Story in your Eyes etc are great rockers.

Then theres Supertramp..Bloody Well Right...and altho the song itself is'nt exactly hard rock by any means,the guitar solo on Gerry Rafferty's Baker Street is one i've allways enjoyed...and better than the one in the Foo Fighters cover.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 10:22:12 AM PST
ronct says:
Except 'Louie Louie' garage band type music and surf rockers were doing it before 'You Really Got me'.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 6:00:45 AM PST
Bernard J. says:
It's Alright- Herman's Hermits.
A B side that rocked pretty hard for them.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 5:58:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2012 6:01:32 AM PST
Bernard J. says:
"Six Man Band"
Two versions were recorded by The Association.
Both rocked harder than most of their other songs.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 9:16:16 PM PST
Chicago did a Bachman Turner Overdrive like song called 'Hideaway'.
It's from Chicago 8. Here's the link. Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21wG3VBcP7k

John

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 8:51:15 PM PST
Ayinger says:
Some mentions of AMBROSIA but they really started out nicely proggy and had some 'heavy' moments before getting into Top 40 la-la land. Plus their final lp Road Island (dig the pot-leaf palm tree on the cover) kicked off with this number that could have graced near any Pink Floyd album and is fairly metallic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmALM_H-858 <-- if you've never have heard it, do yourself a favor and erase those wimpy memories away of the band!

FIREFALL? you have to go with "Strange Way" for that nice guitar soloing at the end, and who can beat that jam on the flute LOL!

POCO had another similar metal-meltdown at the closing of "Rose Of Cimarron"

MICHELLE SHOCKED had a hidden tune at the end of her Short Sharp Shocked album called "Fog Town" that was near-Punk to the country swing of the rest of the disc.

BARBARA STREISAND sang the theme song "Prisoner" on EYES OF LAURA MARS (ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK LP, 1978) and it has an excellent rock vibe to it.

The BAY CITY ROLLERS had some crunch to their single "Money Honey" but the real dope came when they covered David Bowie's "Rebel Rebel" on It's a Game and made it nearly passable.

PABLO CRUISE got a little fiesty with "Runnin'" off of Worlds Away.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 1:57:10 PM PST
"Green Monkey" - America

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 11:29:33 AM PST
Sorry Ed, that is the 2nd time I have done that in the past 2 or 3 weeks. I swear I am losing it. Sorry everyone.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 11:05:03 AM PST
ED S. says:
Stephen....Wrong topic dude! You want the "that was a waste of money!" discussion.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 10:57:07 AM PST
My last post was deleted, don't know why so I will try this again. My choice would be Self Portrait by Bob Dylan. Bob Dylan is my favorite solo artist ever but man was this album a dud. There was a famous Rolling Stone review that said What's this poop? (insert stronger word that the critic used) Runner up would be David Bowie's Pin Ups. I like Bowie, I loved his choice of covers of stellar 60's songs but what a let down! I was lucky, I got these used in the days before CD's and got them cheap so I did not waste too much money. I used to do a lot of buying, trading and selling and got rid of the Dylan the very next week. I held on to the Bowie for a while, revisiting it and wanting to like it. But I thought his versions were (except for Sorrow) really bad. I guess it prooved classic artists covering classic songs don't always make a great listening experience.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 9:33:43 AM PST
ED S. says:
I'll have to go with Music Lover on this appraisal Barry. I was going to post the same response as you but realized they did do some heavy songs. "Carry On Wayward Son" is an awesome song, "Dust In The Wind" not so.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 7:59:06 AM PST
Music Lover says:
Barry-the earlier Kansas albums had some very heavy tracks such as Belexes,The Devil Game,Child Of Innocence,Down The Road

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 6:49:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 6:50:49 AM PST
Barry Smith says:
I always thought Kansas was a hard rock group listening to their song "Carry on Wayward Son," which opened their best-selling 'Best of Kansas' collection.

However most of their other stuff was closer to the style of "Dust in The Wind" and "Point of Know Return" or progressive rock synthesizer experiments.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 6:48:01 AM PST
Barry Smith says:
Actually Pink Floyd's music had kind of a leisurely pace to it, until Roger Waters did The Wall album! Most of the rockers they did were on that album:

"Run Like Hell"
"Another Brick In The Wall Part 2"
"Comfortably Numb"
"Waiting For The Worms"
"One Of My Turns"
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What Are You Listening To? (Volume Four) 1897 11 seconds ago
Prince dead at 57 728 1 minute ago
Hot 100 Playlists 66 16 minutes ago
★The Music of Our Lives 6.3★ 3775 21 minutes ago
The Rolling Stones 1975 and 1981 concerts coming to DVD 70 43 minutes ago
Best drummer of all time!!! 820 45 minutes ago
What are you listening right now? 2692 55 minutes ago
Prince vs. Michael Jackson 176 1 hour ago
Song Game - Part III 5312 3 hours ago
Musical Diary 2835 3 hours ago
The Ten Best Rock Albums Ever Made 297 4 hours ago
RIP David Bowie 565 4 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  45
Total posts:  92
Initial post:  Dec 11, 2012
Latest post:  18 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions