SSGT Barry Sadler "The Ballad Of The Green Berets"

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 12:45:01 PM PST
D. sherlock says:
spirit in the sky - norman greenbaum hands down

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 9:03:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2013 9:10:30 AM PST
Eventstaff says:
@CD Lover:

Sadly true about Bonoff, and the weird thing about Laura Nyro was that the only Top 40 under her own name was Carole King's "Up on the Roof".

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 8:40:09 AM PST
Malvina Reynolds version was a hit in the SF Bay Area in the groovy 60's !@!!!!

I thought Pete Seeger charted with "Blowin in the Wind" but again that was SF radio. Just like the Toyes' "Smoke Two Joints" later covered by Sublime.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 8:32:49 AM PST
Steelers fan says:
Seeger, because of his politics, was "blacklisted" for years. But I think he may have charted in the U.S. more than once during his long career. I think his version of "Guantanamera" made the Billboard Hot 100. Leadbelly's "Goodnight Irene" was a big hit for the Weavers in the early Fifties.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 8:29:27 AM PST
Steelers fan says:
Malvina Reynolds, who looked like a kindly kindergarten teacher, wrote "Little Boxes". It's faux-cute; the lyrics are cutting.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 4:00:08 PM PST
Crikeydingo says:
Little Boxes (made of ticky tacky)- Pete Seeger.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 2:47:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2013 2:50:30 PM PST
CD Lover says:
"Alley Cat" - Bent Fabric
"Personally" - Karla Bonoff
"Hooked On A Feeling" - Blue Swede (remake of the B. J. Thomas hit with a few "oogh-a-chucka"s thrown in.)

Ironic about Karla Bonoff - she's written several songs that became hits by Linda Ronstadt, but the only hit single under her own name was written by somebody else.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 10:52:44 PM PST
it took me years to figure out the line, your dress i ruined with a soda pop. i think i got it right now?

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 10:41:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 18, 2013 10:56:25 PM PST
Rykre says:
I Know There's Something Going On - Frida

Fantasy - Aldo Nova

Take Off - Bob and Doug MacKenzie

They Don't Know - Tracey Ullman

Der Kommissar - After The Fire

Why Me - Planet P

Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime - Korgis

Burning Heart - Vanderberg

Nicole - Point Blank

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 9:27:28 PM PST
Tuff --- Ace Cannon
Stranger On The Shore---Acker Bilk
Java---Al Hirt
Bend Me, Shape Me ---American Breed
Sweet Soul Music --- Arthur Conley

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2013 4:14:44 PM PST
Leonard
Love that song "Beach Baby..

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2013 4:14:03 PM PST
Richard:
I am always looking for something on CD.. Especially Imports..

Posted on Feb 16, 2013 11:26:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 16, 2013 11:40:55 AM PST
How about Superhighway- Ball'n'jack or Timothy- the Bouys,
Na-Na Hey Hey Kiss him Goodbye-Steam, (actually never really a band)
Westbound #9-Flaming Embers or One Fine Morning-Lighthouse(Both Canadian?)
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me-Mel Carter (Super Soul)

Posted on Feb 16, 2013 10:12:17 AM PST
Dr. Mikey says:
Richard. I have been following music since the late 1950s, but got more serious about it after seeing the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. I do remember the Knickerbockers "Lies" when it came out in '65. Even to this day it remains one of my favorite songs. It peaked at #20, I think. They had a really good follow-up called "One Track Mind" but it was not distributed very well by their label (or so I've read) and only reached #46. I had the orignal "Lies" but lost it over the years to ex-wives, roommates, who knows? Not long ago I bought a compilation album by the Knicks and those two songs were the only decent ones on it.

I don't do any mixing of music and my equipment is very basic and not high end.

Posted on Feb 16, 2013 8:55:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 16, 2013 8:56:01 AM PST
Some clever and original thread topic here!! What is this, . .. VH1 ?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 11:54:53 PM PST
I also believe was producer for "Gary Puckett and The Union Gap" That name sounds so familar to me for some reason.. I had no idea that Jerry Fuller was around back then.. Thank-you for the post.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 11:52:06 PM PST
Ed:
I totally with you about the one hit wonders.. I think that is so cool.. You can find the one hit wonders on CD at amazon.com.. I found Morgus on DVD that was on TV when I was growing up.. Anyone, remember "Shock Theater? I haven't been able t find that yet.. But, I am gonna keep searching.. thank-you for the post Ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 11:49:28 PM PST
Steve
I remember "the capitols" I remember that song "cool jerk" I remember hearing "the capitols" for the firt time
on Radio station Cklw radio.. In Windsor.. I miss that Radio Station.. I downloaded all the original jingles that were used back in the day.. I remember all the disc-jockeys that were there when I listened to Cklw.. Those were the best days of my life..

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 11:45:37 PM PST
Mikey:
How long have you been following music? I am only curious.. I remember the Knickerbockers.. I loved that song lies.. It brings back so many memories everytime I hear it.. I love music so much.. Bye, the way I am in the process of upgrading my music equipment.. Bought, a brand new Digital mixing board in 2012.. Got a great deal on it.. Original price: $500.00 My Price: $300.00..

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 11:42:03 PM PST
Steve:
I most certainly agree with you on the above mentioned post.. I noticed that the Beatles had a huge Impact on a lot of the 60's groups.. Aretha Franklin, was a huge influence as well.. The list goes on and on.. Steve, thank-you fo sharing with us..

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 11:39:57 PM PST
One of my favorites would be: Hanson Mmbop.. It is so hard to pick only one artist or song.. Because if you think about it there quit a few one hit wonders..

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 9:02:03 PM PST
Jules says:
Everlast from 1998 - What it's Like

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 12:18:23 PM PST
My brother was stationed in England for many years and he would keep me up on what was happening on the British scene that in some repects were quite different from what was happening here. Anyway, he used to talk about Cliff Richard a lot. And he was a big Shadows fan. A few years back he introduced me to some Cliff Richard stuff and while I did not take a shine to everything, especiallly the later stuff, some of the early songs were really good like The Young Ones and The Night. Cliff's early solo work and some of his work with the Shadows is worth checking into.

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 12:02:27 AM PST
Dr. Mikey says:
@Richard Thompson: I think I have mentioned on one thread or another that Cliff Richard is perhaps the biggest musical star in the English speaking world to never hit it really big in the US. He had over 50 top 10 hits in the UK and around the word, but according to my research, only two in the US: Devil Woman (1976) and We Don't Talk Anymore (1979). I'm not sure the reson for this disparity. It appears that many of the songs were not even released in the US. Not sure what his management planned for him, if anything, in the states. He surely should have been a much bigger star in America.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Ed's, Mikal's and my top lists of albums for 2014 428 39 seconds ago
American Music And The British Invasion Part III 6128 1 minute ago
2014: What gigs have you already seen, or are going to see during this year? 44 13 minutes ago
Do cold places produce better bands? 13 39 minutes ago
What The Hell, Who Cares! 106 46 minutes ago
Audiophiles Unite! The best sounding CDs. It's not about the music. It's about the sound quality of the music 631 2 hours ago
The Kinks 1275 3 hours ago
What Are You Listening To? (Volume Three) 2535 4 hours ago
Bulletin Board ---- What's in the news? 130 5 hours ago
The Beatles Mono Lps Vinyls coming out 9/9/2014.. MONO NIRVANA... 199 5 hours ago
How long to you have to wait for the "Autorip" mp3s for new releases? 2 11 hours ago
Hello can anybody help me? 28 13 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  60
Total posts:  208
Initial post:  Dec 23, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 22, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions