Customer Discussions > Music forum

Does anyone play full albums anymore?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 224 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 3, 2012 2:00:25 PM PST
It seems there is a trend, even among those who grew up during the album age, where the iPod and single mentality has overcome the art of the album. Does anyone still listen to complete albums?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 2:03:08 PM PST
Me. But you already knew that.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 2:04:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 2:05:23 PM PST
I still listen to albums and or cds in full almost every day! I dont do the ipod thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 2:05:30 PM PST
Gena Chereck says:
I sure do.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 2:07:31 PM PST
I certainly do. But I'm also 50. Buying an mp3 single track doesn't make much sense to me. I grew up through the times of "buy the single if you like the song you heard on AM radio, or buy the album if you dig the artist in general and like what they played from the album on FM radio".

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 2:10:07 PM PST
gusula says:
Yes. Absolutely. Well-designed albums follow a "dramatic arc," just like a good story; they take you on a journey, with high and low points and a satisfying ending. Listening to a bunch of singles on shuffle is like going to a Vegas buffet and eating exclusively at the dessert bar -- lots of tastiness, but nothing that sticks with you more than 5 minutes.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 2:31:39 PM PST
It seems most of us here posting come from a time where a full album was the main listening experience. Today it appears that its mostly singles that hit gold and platinum, not so much albums.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 3:06:44 PM PST
Dr. Mikey says:
This is why I still like albums as artistic expression (although some are certainly better than others). I've posted it before in response to this question. It was written by David Hajdu, who was art critic for the New Republic. Sorry I don't remember the date.
IPOD BLUES
In downloading selectively and programming our own CDs (or iPod mixes), we are, in a new way, usurping the artist's prerogative to surprise, to educate, and even to change us. Haven't we all found music on records that we didn't like or understand at first, but grew to appreciate with repeated listening to the work exactly as the artist intended it? That was the case, for me, with more than half of the songs in Stephen Sondheim's Passion; once I heard it a few times, it seemed to become a different, better score. More precisely, the score made me a different, better listener. As a highly efficient new instrument of customization, downloading represents a sizable advance in our ever-growing capacity to re-arrange reality so as to exclude whatever of it fails to give us immediate satisfaction, and it leaves us in peril of finding satisfaction only in our own tastes.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 3:13:04 PM PST
The album concept is still alive and well and I just finished listening to Ian Anderson's "Thick as a Brick 2" from start to finish and now I'm listening to the complete "Star Fleet Project" from Brian May, Eddie Van Halen & friends all the way through. Yup, this ain't bad....

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 3:33:17 PM PST
S. Rice says:
It depends on if I want to hear a specific artist, or if I'm more interested in a mood (fast songs, slow songs etc) For vinyl, I'll listen through a side. But mostly I prefer a good mix over listening to an album start to finish.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 4:04:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 5:31:20 PM PST
Grandpa Tom says:
Hi:

I actually play more albums in their entirety now (the past few years) than ever in my life. Don't know why, maybe I'm a bit more patient, and/or I am enjoying going deeper into my collection.

I used to play the albums I bought and selected my fave tracks, and put them in mixes of all sorts. I drove for my job for many years, and liked my mixes a little more (artists' faves of mine, genres, just-for-kicks what moved me on a specific day, and so on).

In fact, I just flipped over The Young Rascals The Young Rascals [Vinyl] I scored used, still shrinkwrapped and vinyl as new, today. AMAZING for my soul, as I never owned any Rascals albums in the past, only collections. Man, did I miss out.

All the best,
GT

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 5:14:29 PM PST
Mod Rocker says:
As a commuter, there's nothing like getting lost in an album for 40 - 60 min. it's like seeing a movie before you get to work...

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 5:32:32 PM PST
B L T says:
I only listen to a few albums all the way through anymore.

I buy entire MP3 albums and have no problem with eliminating songs I don't want to hear on a playlist I'm putting together. Lately I've been building a "Late Night Smoke Filled Bar" Jazz playlist and some songs off an album just don't work with the atmosphere and mood I'm trying to create.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 6:13:20 PM PST
I always do, every time I get a new album I always sit down and listen to it from start to finish, usually while I'm surfing the net or cleaning. I'm doing it right now in fact (Cat Power - "The Greatest").

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 6:56:45 PM PST
MyRidesHere says:
Good topic!
Albums of total art and great musical substance are for me.
Some people listen to music like fast food and there some of us that sit down and enjoy our full course meal with good wine and dessert.
To me it seems that albums put out by many pop stars (who are mostly figure heads made up by a label or svengali type)contain a song or two(the stuff that there fans easily recognize and know what they are getting) of Ipod fodder.These ProTool derived tunes(granted a few are not too bad) sell tons and drive up their album sales(which usually contain more very weak selections).Yet to me they are still terrible albums.i still try to listen to and follow along in case there is something really happening.But not very often does anyone stand out to me.I guess alot of this stuff ain't my style.
To me true album makers live and breath their art and produce cohesive and consistent albums that are a joy to listen to all the way through.They may not sell as much as the above but are usually critically received and make up for sales if and when they tour.
Will both survive?Yes,most likely, as long as there are artists/musicians/plastic idols and there is a willing public following still buying.In the long run it seems to me that the real artists have a better staying power and are more relevant to my society.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 7:31:47 PM PST
mac says:
I hope so, because creating a classic album involves integrating its entirety. I remember the huge impact Dark Side Of The Moon had playing both sides LOUD!

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 6:17:47 AM PST
Working Man says:
Absolutely. While I don't mind shuffling songs from time to time as well as creating playlists and using iTunes Genius to create random playlists, I still listen to albums often and some music is meant to be played in the full album format.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 6:39:39 AM PST
I listen to music according to my mood at that time. Sometimes I just feel like a variety and listen to my own mix CD's. (I like to make themes, train songs, sun songs, women's names, ETC) But sometimes I just want the total world of a particular album. I want to listen to where the artist was at during that time span and what they were expressing. I think appreciating an album as a whole is a more rewarding musical expierence but it takes a little bit of effort. Kid's attention spans nowadays seem sadly out of sync with the album as a whole thing. That is a shame. Then of course there are some artists that make wonderful singles but not so much good albums. So really I like both but I do think listening to an album as a whole is far less than it used to be.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 6:45:46 AM PST
tmoore says:
Yes. A side effect of that practice is that it takes me weeks to properly listen to an album (i.e,, enough times) since it is hard for me to find time to listen to complete albums, especially with albums being longer in the CD age. I used to have a solid block of time in the late evening after my son goes to sleep, but nowadays I often also fall asleep then without intending to, sometimes after starting to listen to a CD.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 7:46:34 AM PST
Lija Harper says:
At www.therealmusic.net we love full albums. There's not much better than an album that takes you on a journey, you can't get this experience from just listening to single tracks or mixtapes. For album reviews, live reviews, interviews and other features check out the website or follow therealmusic.net on facebook!

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 8:46:46 AM PST
Steve says:
Albums over singles nearly every time. There is the odd occasion that a compilation will do the trick (like a compilation of cover tunes, for example), but I'm almost 100% an album guy. No greatest hits albums either; I want to hear the songs in their original context.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 11:26:55 AM PST
ED S. says:
Yes. But when I was in my teens and twentys I did not. I skipped around the vinyl album. I still sometimes do that with CD's today. But it is usually the whole album.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 11:41:50 AM PST
Gena Chereck says:
Same here -- though lately with some artists' albums I've had for a long time, (such as They Might Be Giants, of whom I've been a big fan for about a decade), I find myself getting into tracks that I used to habitually skip. :D

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 11:59:28 AM PST
Fischman says:
I always prever full albums when I've got the time.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 12:15:00 PM PST
Randy says:
I usually play full albums, but sometimes put the iPod on shuffle.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  68
Total posts:  224
Initial post:  Dec 3, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions