Customer Discussions > Music forum

Elton John?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 52 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 12, 2012 4:39:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2012 4:40:05 AM PST
club 7 says:
Just got yellow brick road after putting off buying it for years because i wanted it on my list to buy cds. but yes i bought it and it's amazing from start to finish. from the epic wagnerian grandeur of funeral of a friend to the glam rock bombast of bennie and the jets to the glittering chuck berry chaos of saturday nights allright for fighting this album simply blows your mind.
is there any elton john album that is as consistant and as fine as this album is?

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 6:37:36 AM PST
This is just a personal opinion, but I think Elton was best in his early singer/songwriter days.
Try Honky Chateau
Tumbleweed Connection
Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only the Piano Player

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 6:53:38 AM PST
Randy says:
Club, the following EJ albums, along with Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, are must-haves IMO:

Tumbleweed Connection
Don't Shoot Me I'm Only the Piano Player
Madman Across the Water

These are excellent albums, and you will probably want to get these when you have fully absorbed the above albums:

Honky Château
Elton John
Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy
Rock of the Westies

I don't think there are any essential EJ albums after 1975, but Jump Up is pretty good and contains one of Elton's greatest songs, the moving John Lennon-tribute "Empty Garden(Hey Hey Johnny)".

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 7:02:58 AM PST
I think Honky Chateau is a better album than Yellow Brick. And as Steven says, I would also agree with Don't Shoot Me. I think I would take Yellow Brick over Tumbleweed though I like that one as well. Empty Sky and the self titled album are pretty good too. They feature a lot of strings and have a different feel to them than even Tumbleweed does. Go with the expanded edition of the self titled album. Some great bonus tracks. Captain Fantastic is a decent later album. Caribou has a couple of great songs like Ticking but overall is very inconsistent. Stay away from Rock Of The Westies, Blue Moves, Madman Across The Water. Though they all contain a good song or two, as complete listens they are weak.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 7:06:37 AM PST
Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player is a great prelude to Goodbye...varied in style & tempo. It has the requisite singles like "Daniel", "Crocodile Rock", but buy it for the b-sides. Everything from country (Texan Love Song) to fast paced rockers (Elderberry Wine, Teacher I Need You, I'm Going To Be A Teenage Idol, Midnight Creeper) to smooth cuts (Blues For Baby And Me, High Flying Bird). A must have !

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 7:55:02 AM PST
ARog says:
Madman Across The Water is hands down best Elton with Yellow Brick a close second

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 8:12:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2012 8:13:18 AM PST
vivazappa says:
Yellow Brick is his masterpiece...so you have to shift gears to get into other records.
Honky Chateau is (like many above) my favorite.
Rock of the Westies has a harder edge sound than most of his records.
Madman is terrific from begining to end...and has two huge hits Levon and Tiny Dancer
Don't Shoot Me and Caribou are underrated...love um' both.
Tumbleweed is the one I call Bernie's record because the lyrics deal with his facination of the old west in the USA.
Captain Fantastic is my second favorite and not many agree with me...it is a concept record about Elton and Bernie.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 8:27:25 AM PST
Dr. Mikey says:
Get the Deluxe Edition of Tumbleweed Connection.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 8:30:37 AM PST
Tumbleweed Connection
Madman Across the Water

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 8:42:31 AM PST
Elton John's albums have been both a source of hidden gems and a frustration to me. The hits (big or minor) were usually first rate. Songs like Rocket Man, Tiny Dancer, Danial ETC are obvious great songs! But there were usually album cuts that stood out too like Where To Now Saint Peter, Harmony, Teacher I Need You and many others. But there always seem to be a fair amount of duds along the way. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road had some truely great songs on it but I always found it inconsistent. Honkey Chateau I thought was much more consistent track for track. Maybe I just expected more from the albums because his singles were VERY consistent. I even liked Friends which nobody ever mentions. Still, I like Elton John' music very much and I will occassionly play (like Caribou or Captain Fantastic) the whole CD hoping to pick up on one more track. Sometimes it works too! But I just wish Elton had a TAD more consistentcy on his albums. Maybe I am just being too nit picky but that seems to have always been the case for me concerning his music.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 8:49:54 AM PST
I agree, Stephen, which is why I haven't dug very deep into Elton's catalogue but the albums I do have contain some real hidden gems. "Tumbleweed" is a very consistent album, however, and even the bonus tracks on the standard edition are superb, IMO.

The real hidden gem for me has got to be "Indian Sunset" from "Madman". That may be one of my top 5 Elton songs.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 8:56:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2012 9:03:33 AM PST
Stratocaster says:
I'll throw another vote in for Tumbleweed Connection. IMO, another masterpiece.

But, you will probably be thrown off initially - Tumbleweed is a VERY different album from yellow brick road! As vivazappa mentioned, it is Elton's and Bernie's tribute to American Roots music - (influences of Gospel/Funk/Country Ballad/Country Western/Blues Rock,etc).

Honky Chateau is another MUST have.
IMO, after those 3, you might be better off just getting his "Greatest Hits" collections. I think he has like 6 of them now. But you can't miss with #'s 1 and 2.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 5:39:34 AM PST
Hinch says:
I have to agree. Don't forget MADMAN ACROSS THE WATER. For me, Yellow Brick Road was the end of his early string of great albums. He's had several albums and lots of great songs I've liked since but I don't think he's made any albums as good as those early ones.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 6:08:40 AM PST
onsenkuma says:
Top 3:
Madman Across The Water
Madman Across The Water
Madman Across The Water

Frankly, his BEST period was pretty much everything prior to 'Don't Shoot Me...' I recommend these on SACD Hybrid because they're dirt cheap on Amazon and the 5.1 mixes are among the best you'll hear on pop/rock releases. My only beef with 'Goodbye...' is the dated synthesizer sound, locked on the 'Accordion' setting. The songs and the performances are otherwise great.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 8:11:06 AM PST
"Yellow Brick Road" is definitely Elton's best songwriting and production values. I also own "Madman...", "Captain...", and one of the live albums but just never listen to them anymore.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 8:29:57 AM PST
Madman Across The Water is a great album. It is my personal favorite. However, I feel that Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is EJ's greatest musical acheivement. The OP club 7, gives a description of GYBR that I agree with. Brick goes in so many directions in musical movement and EJ is spot on everytime. Brick has something for everybody.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 10:07:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2012 10:07:45 AM PST
Johnny Bee says:
Madman Across The Water is the fellow for me.

Don't think Reg and Bernie have ever bettered it.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 8:27:45 PM PST
I really like Tumbleweed Connection (Dlx) the best. All the above mentions are great too. But Tumbleweed for me is by far his greatest record.

Another great one is 11-17-70. A really great record all the way through. Great energy and songs.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 2:02:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 10:54:09 PM PST
I'm with Anthony it's Tumbleweed Connection for me all the way.
Two thirds into "Burn Down The Mission" when you hear the voices coming on like a crazy-choir with: " Ahhhhhahhhhhahhhha".... and then the bass guitar drops way low and you hear it hit THAT note.
Pure bliss and magic there!

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 5:05:15 PM PST
MAC says:
Tumbleweed Connection has to be his most perfect album, the very idea that two British guys can take on the American west and nail it is just amazing. I love this album, it has no hits but it's brilliant.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 5:17:16 PM PST
Bernie, was inspired by the first two albums from The Band and wrote these songs up about a country he hadn't even traveled to yet and Elton put down some perfect music to those lyrics and it's by far their greatest record. "Tumbleweed Connection" (a play on the name Fairport Convention) contains some real country music in it's grooves and they never made another disc quite like it.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 6:23:42 PM PST
Yes, you can really hear the Band's influence on Tumbleweed. I never knew or realized the album title was a play on the Fairport Convention (great group) name.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 10:49:49 PM PST
I don't agree with you.

I would rate "Captain....." as my favorite Elton album, particularly the last songs on the original vinyl.

Posted on May 11, 2013 6:09:50 PM PDT
I like "Blue Moves" over "Captain" and Elton made a huge blunder in Dodger's Stadium with that one before the record had been released.

Posted on Jun 1, 2013 6:17:54 PM PDT
Early stuff. Find the long version of Madman Across as a bonus track on Tumbleweed, excellent
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  52
Initial post:  Dec 12, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 2, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions