Customer Discussions > Music forum

Rolling Stones ticket prices for upcoming NY gig ....

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 14, 2012 10:53:38 AM PST
bass boy says:
So the cheapest seats for The Rolling Stones' upcoming gig in Brooklyn are $170 a piece.
And people (erroneously) thought The Who were money-grubbers. Um, wow.

I'm a pretty big Stones fan, but man, $170 nosebleed tickets? That's greed of the highest order, fellas. Makes the $28.50 I paid for the Steel Wheels show I caught in 1989 - 16th row on the football field, in front of Bill Wyman - seem like a pocket change.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 11:04:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 11:04:43 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 11:07:32 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
Sadly that's par for the course nowadays. Any big-name artists are charging about that much...and the shows WILL sell out regardless.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 11:24:15 AM PST
vivazappa says:
If you can get a ticket you can sell it on e-bay and pay for your kids college!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:09:57 PM PST
I tried to get tickets for last newark show saturday night, as soon as they went on sale but got shut out.I think $ 95.00 was the cheapest ticket and it was behind the stage with possible obstructed view.Every thing else were $400.00 to $700.00 and for the big spenders they had VIP meet and greet packages in the thousands.Not for me.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 10:45:08 AM PST
bass boy says:
I know ticket prices are expensive, but I've never heard of a show (outside of someone like Streisand or Celine Dion) selling nosebleed tickets for $170. Wow. :)

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 11:33:11 AM PST
vivazappa says:
$34,000 for floor tickets on the 7th row...not VIP...through rip off kings "Stub Hub"....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 4:31:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 4:31:50 PM PST
RE: I know ticket prices are expensive, but I've never heard of a show (outside of someone like Streisand or Celine Dion) selling nosebleed tickets for $170. Wow. :)

And Andrea Bocelli, if he counts. I think his were probably higher than any of them.

Well, mentioning Streisand and Dion puts it in some context. That makes me want to ask, even though I realize that Celine has her loyal fans, wouldn't you think Stones tickets would go for more than Celine Dion tickets?

(I know there are extraneous factors that influence ticket prices, and that we can't really simplify or really break this whole ticket price thing down in any meaningful way simply by dissecting my question as phrased. Just take the question for what it is.)

No argument from me that Stones tix aren't high, though. Saw them last in '06 at the LA Forum, side of stage, near bottom of second level (not high and not far, not a very good angle), face value around $120 each but got 'em for $80 each in the aftermarket. Saw them in '02 at Staples Center, near side of stage but out front a bit, pretty good angle, bottom of upper level (very high due to three levels of suites), $410 for two tix including fees and another fee to join some fan club so I could even have a chance at getting them. I'd sit this one out even if they come to LA, though a larger tour would lower demand a little.

Does anyone know: How much is pay-per-view going to be? I might think about it, especially if I know if Wyman and Taylor might show up....what's the rumor mill saying about that these days? They're probably more likely to show at the London shows, if they show.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 4:52:49 PM PST
A customer says:
Why is it that when a band gets progressively worse and increasingly over-the-hill, their ticket prices wax? Shouldn't they wane? Y'know, in proportion to the Stones' waning ability to put on a show worth seeing?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 5:11:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 5:12:29 PM PST
In most cases, yes, but demand is pretty high. Why is the price so high? Because people are willing to pay it. It's actually pretty simple logic. In the case of the Stones, people want to see them one last time before they are gone for good. If you don't plan on going to begin with, and it's pretty clear from your post you don't, then don't worry about it.

It's too bad more people can't just appreciate the fact that they still have the opportunity to see them play and just accept that with age, ability will decline, and the Stones are no exception. I can't run as fast as I used to but it's still nice to go out for a jog once in awhile.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 5:24:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 5:28:57 PM PST
RE: Why is it that when a band gets progressively worse and increasingly over-the-hill, their ticket prices wax? Shouldn't they wane?Y'know, in proportion to the Stones' waning ability to put on a show worth seeing?

Not only that, but why do some of us pay that price?

I can't really speak for other fans, but I saw them twice in '99, twice in '02, and once in '06. In my case, I think they put on a decent show, but obviously they weren't the Stones I saw in '72 and '75. I had a lot of personal pent-up demand because I don't like stadium shows and never really wanted to go see them on their stadium tours in that intervening period.

For me, they've always been my favorite band, for 48 years now. I've gone down many side avenues with other bands and have other top favorites, but the Stones were my favorite band when music meant more to me than at any other time in my life....so they just go a little deeper. So it's a little nostalgia and it's a little loyalty, in a sense -- but not a case of just sticking with them because I once really liked them, which would be silly. I still like them very much and I'd have to say that over my lifetime, they're definitely No. 1. If you're asked to pick one favorite for your entire life, you only get one answer, and they're it. I've been through a lot more with them over the years than with any other single band.

I do admire, in a way, Mick's ability to prance at his age. It's a little silly in a way, and he looks better from a distance....but I still say "Go Mick" when it comes to his act. Keith, I'm a little worried about; I'm interested in how well he's playing these days. But I don't go expecting a perfect show...I go just because it's the Stones and I enjoy their shows, rough edges and all.

Having said all that, I'll probably pass this time. I have my limits, and if they come to LA, for two decent seats I'm sure the whole night will be minimum $1K, probably closer to $2K. Not close to being worth it to me at this point, especially since I've seen them 5X since '02. I might think about it for what I paid last time, but face value won't be anywhere near that and I don't think I'd have much chance of beating that in the aftermarket this time....which is probably really "The Last Time."

As to your question more directly, it doesn't seem that ticket prices wane.....but a (declining) band's income from touring certainly takes a hit in most cases. Most bands on the wane play in smaller places than when they were hot, so while prices may be in the same category, instead of arenas, it's medium-sized venues, theaters, bars that they're booked in. The other effect, for those who can still fill an arena, they can't do it as often as they used to...say, a band like Bad Company just to pick one. They probably had a nice reunion tour, but if they'd done it 10 years earlier and tried to tour every three years at high prices, people would balk. They'd probably still fill medium-sized arenas, but at some point not full-sized arenas.

But there are a few bands, the most popular legendary acts, that can still tour every few years and sell out arenas at high prices. The Stones are just one of those who, based on supply and demand, can get away with it. They do it because they're in that enviable position of being able to do it simply because they can.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 6:01:40 PM PST
A customer says:
Well, Pierced Shoes, I suppose "simply because they can" makes the best sense. It's easy to criticize others in a higher position than you, but having never been in a high position myself, it may well be hypocritical. I can watch an NBA superstar and think "if *I* were him, I would donate all but what I needed to live and support my family to charities". Would I? I'll never know, but honestly, I doubt it. I'd probably buy a mansion, sports cars, audio equipment that costs more than a doctor's yearly salary, and then I'd still hold out for a bigger contract, because it's not enough. Money does that to people. It just is. If I were the Stones... I'd charge $170 for nosebleeds, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 1:28:39 AM PST
Music Luver says:
viva - yikes. How can stub hub get away with that, I had *thought* scalping tickets was illegal. And here they are blantantly doing it. If you call yourself a ticket "broker" than it is OK?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 3:50:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 3:57:25 AM PST
RE: If you call yourself a ticket "broker" than it is OK?

A ticket broker is just someone who obtains tickets and sells them at a higher price if they can get it. And making a profit is obviously the reason they're doing it. I think you can call it a ticket exchange, broker, agency, whatever. Some places buy the tickets and resell them, and some only match up buyer and seller.

It's legal to resell tickets in CA anywhere but at the venue. And online, I don't think there's any way to prevent selling across state lines. People have been selling tickets for profit online way before Stubhub came about...I bought lots of tickets on eBay years ago.

It doesn't make sense for it *not* to be legal, really, since tickets are commodities like anything else. I've gotten tickets to shows and athletic events for way under face as well as paying a premium -- it reflects market value more than face value does.

It took me awhile to get used to that idea because I grew up in PA where "scalping" was illegal, at least back in the '70's; I don't know what the rules are there today. The upside, back then, was that maybe you could find a ticket for less than these days (adjusted for inflation, of course). The downside was that once an event was sold out, it was much harder to get a ticket than it is today; today they're easy to get if you're willing to pay more. Today at least you have more option whereas back then you had less option.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 3:56:32 AM PST
A customer says:
Scalping in the sense of Native American style torture is certainly illegal. Scalping as in reselling tickets? Never, ever heard of someone actually getting arrested for that. That's like saying internet piracy is illegal. Of course it is, but... you know the deal.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 5:15:35 AM PST
R. McPhee says:
Ticket touts are pimps.Unfortunately genuine fans will willingly pay over inflated prices.
I saw The Stones in the 80's it cost about £12,the memory will stay with me forever!

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 12:28:57 PM PST
Chet Fakir says:
Wow, and I used to think 15 dollars was too much to pay for a show. I missed seeing Sun Ra at D.C. Space because the tickets were 14 dollars and I thought that was too much. In retrospect that was really stupid. However the Stones just aren't worth paying 180 dollars for nosebleeds, nobody is.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 1:36:02 AM PST
Crazy prices but i think they will still sell out many shows. The demographic of the Stones has the cash so they will take it. :) Still would love to see 'em myself but only if someone else was paying.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions