Customer Discussions > Music forum

Elton John is better than the Beatles.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 226-250 of 641 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 11:29:17 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 11, 2012 5:11:38 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 11:34:53 PM PST
ELVIS FAN says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 12:03:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2012 12:06:41 AM PST
Hinch says:
William

You are correct! Elvis' peak years were 1956-58. Out of 47 singles he released, 12 reached #1 in the U.S. including one which reached #1 only on the country charts. Out of 4 singles released in '59, only one reached #1. From 1960 to 1977 he released 150 singles. Only 6 reached #1 on the U.S. pop charts. 3 more reached #1 only on the country charts.

Seems like someone who released over 220 singles (from 1954-1977)in his lifetime and is considered to be so great, would have had a larger % of #1s. Percentage wise, The Beatles and Elton John kicked him to the curb.

The Beatles released a total of 49 singles in the U.S from 1962 to 1970. 20 reached #1.

From 1968 to 2010 Elton John released 113 singles in the U.S. 19 reached #1.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 7:09:33 AM PST
barbW says:
That's a reliable picture of what happened, surprisingly, because number ones are a curious barometer. Record buyers need to feel that they have to own a recording, separate from the album? So the OP should be Elton is better than the Beatles at selling singles? Here's a website selling 3 pages of 82 Elton 45s.

http://www.classic45s.com/artist_list.php?type=artist&exact=yes&keywords=Elton%20John&sort=3a&&page=1

They sell 104 Elvis 45s and 64 of the Beatles' singles.

The specifics of buying singles has changed a lot through the EP, B and EJ decades. And today, the biggest hits are everywhere AND they're competing with video game sales etc. These days, all the singles of all 3 can be downloaded in one lazy afternoon.

Here's an album with the singles that are 2012 Grammy Nominees. The content is mostly disposable, but it must somehow fit the needs their target audiences. What do they need or want? Anyone?

2012 Grammy Nominees

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 7:20:22 AM PST
Elton John is no better than Liberace

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 9:11:40 AM PST
H&L says:
I don't think Elton was better than the Beatles but I will pay Elton a big compliment by saying that Elton John was the solo version of The Beatles.:)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 9:16:35 AM PST
H&L says:
Ture Metahead Jay. He made too many changes too quickly to his band line after Captain Fantastic and the following albums just did not have that same feel that the old line up gave them.

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 9:49:49 AM PST
Comparing any musical artist to the Beatles is ridiculous. No band progressed more, or achieved as much, in such a short time. In seven-and-a-half years, the Beatles created the most memorable songbook in the history of 20th century popular music. They effortlessly cranked out wonderful songs with melodies that became ingrained into one's soul. Where most of today's bands sit on their collective asses and put out one album in two-to-three years, the Beatles managed to write, record and release their ENTIRE output between 1962 and 1970. That's an achievement that will stand the test of time. Not to mention their influence on other musicians and popular culture, which was incalcuable.

There's only one Beatles. Everyone else falls in line afterwards. And most musicians, INCLUDING Elton John, would admit the same.

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 3:29:20 PM PST
Mr. Jumps says:
Did not Bernie Taupin write 90% of Elton John lyrics? W/O Bernie could such a statement even me made?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 3:56:58 PM PST
Bob says:
I wouldn't say he is better than the Beatles, but in the 1970s, he was almost as prolific and consistent as the Beatles, both with singles and album cuts. If you missed the Beatle's pop music mastery during the 1970s, Elton John's music help filled the gap.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 4:14:36 PM PST
ELVIS FAN says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 5:13:34 PM PST
ELVIS FAN says:
You seem to confuse fiction with the REAL facts.
Elton john only has nine No. 1 hits in the US. Not 19. (BUT TO HIS CREDIT HE DID HAVE The biggest selling single with "Candle in the Wind in 1997") A tribute to Princess Diana who died in a car crash.
Also During his lifetime, Elvis Presley:
recorded 112 singles that hit the Top 40 of the Billboard pop charts.
Not 220. Your way off man.

Thats far short of 18 for the King, and 21 overall.
You guys are all full of crap. You know nothing about Elvis and comparing him to others is futile on your part.
Most combined weeks at number one on the UK singles charts :
ELVIS PRESLEY! - 79 WEEKS AT THE TOP
The rest below him doesn't matter!
No seriously, Here it is :
The Beatles - 69
Cliff Richard - 46
The Shadows - 44
Frankie Laine - 32
ABBA - 31
Madonna- 29
Take That - 28
Elton John - 23
Wet Wet Wet - 23
Rihanna - 22
Spice Girls - 22
Most number ones

One of the most important records over the years has been which act could obtain the most UK Chart toppers. Here is a list of all the acts to gain 5 or more UK chart toppers:
AGAIN, HE IS AT THE TOP. You would think you'd be sick of being 2nd all the time. But you choose them. I chose 2nd to NONE!
21 - Elvis Presley
17 - The Beatles
14 - Westlife
14 - Cliff Richard
13 - Madonna
12 - The Shadows [1]
11 - Take That
9 - ABBA
9 - Spice Girls
8 - Oasis
8 - The Rolling Stones
7 - Eminem
7 - Elton John
7 - George Michael
7 - Kylie Minogue
7 - McFly
7 - Michael Jackson
7 - U2
6 - Blondie
6 - Boyzone
6 - JLS
6 - Queen
6 - Rihanna
6 - Robbie Williams
6 - Rod Stewart
6 - Slade
6 - Sugababes
5 - All Saints
5 - Beyoncé
5 - Britney Spears
5 - David Bowie
5 - David Guetta
5 - Dizzee Rascal
5 - The Bee Gees
5 - The Black Eyed Peas
5 - The Police

Here is an interesting side note :
The Dwights (Elton John's Parents) were keen record buyers, exposing John to the popular singers and musicians of the day, and John remembers being immediately hooked on rock and roll when his mother brought home records by Elvis Presley and Bill Haley & His Comets in 1956.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 5:31:20 PM PST
H&L says:
Bob,

With the brake up of The Beatles, there was a void to be filled and during the start of the 70s on into the mid 70s Elton filled that void.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 6:28:29 PM PST
DKPete says:
Lawrence, I agree with that. But it was about more than the music itself. There were other people writing equally good songs in the early to mid seventies...David Bowie, Cat Stevens, Stevie Wonder, Neil Young..but, like The Beatles, Elton John struck that "magic" chord with people hence, his music was coupled with audience hysteria..it's hard to explain just why...it was the music combined with his look, attitude and, most importantly (like The Beatles AND Elvis), "the right time".

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 6:30:56 PM PST
DKPete says:
...there goes the King Of Stats yet once again...trying to prove the greatness of an artist based on NUMBERS.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 10:38:04 PM PST
Hinch says:
Yeah, I saw that in the store a few days ago. I picked it up, looked at it and put it down. lol!

Mumford & Sons and Tony Bennett and Amy Winehouse are the only artists I like. I dont think there's even one other song I would want to listen to.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 10:39:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2012 11:34:21 PM PST
Hinch says:
>Elton John is no better than Liberace<

I'd say he is, but I liked Liberace. I saw him in 1972.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 10:59:34 PM PST
W. Hodges says:
i would have to say that we all tend to compare apples to oranges, for the technology and social situation, the beatles gave their generation the best. and the same is for elton john. you want to compare bach with lady gaga and that is ridiculous. it is the same in sports - take baseball. wood bat - aluminum; stats using the eye versus replay. we need ti get real and compare the world's greatest in the world they lived in instead of the entire history of the world. fair and reasonable to both parties, yah?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 11:33:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 10, 2012 11:08:51 PM PST
Hinch says:
You're the one with your facts messed up.

First of all I found a list of Elton John's singles released in the U.S. and counted the #1s myself. I stand by what I said.

Secondly, if you paid attention, you'd know I wasnt talking about the Elvis singles that reached the top 100. I was talking about his total number of singles released during his lifetime. From 1955 to 1977 he released about 220 singles .

Even Mariah has tied Elvis on The U.S. Billboard Top 100. Mariah Carey has accumulated 18 number one singles, which ties her with Elvis Presley for the second most number-one singles in the chart's history (after only The Beatles).

Last of all you're using only the U.K. #1s

From 1956 to 1977 Elvis had

18 #1 singles in The U.S.
17 #1 singles in the UK.
In 2002 and 2005 he had 4 more #1s but 3 were reissues of singles that had been #1 in the U.K. in the 50s. The 4th single "A Little Less Conversation" was a remix of an old hit.

Elvis
18 U.S. #1 singles
21 U.K. #1 singles(if you count the 3 singles that were #1 twice)
-------
39 #1
====

The Beatles
19 #1 U.K. singles
20 #1 U.S.singles
-----
39 #1

======

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2012 10:57:00 PM PST
ELVIS FAN says:

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 11:07:39 PM PST
Hinch says:
<yaaawn.......zzzzzzzzzzz>

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2012 4:31:54 PM PST
ELVIS FAN says:
He was influenced by none other than Elvis, and Bill Haley and the comets.
No his parents gave him artists that would affect him musically, and thus you have the great Elton John's music legacy. No mention of the beatles.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2012 4:33:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2012 4:35:02 PM PST
ELVIS FAN says:
Its is still 9 total number 1 hits in the us of a. For Sir Elton John!
You better recount.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2012 4:44:50 PM PST
ELVIS FAN says:
Do you want it to be a 10 year old you perv?
Big bro is watching you now.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2012 4:46:07 PM PST
ELVIS FAN says:
There was no "void" there were many other good artists out there.
‹ Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 26 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  140
Total posts:  641
Initial post:  Dec 26, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 29, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions