Customer Discussions > Music forum

Elvis Presley

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Aug 5, 2012 7:29:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 5, 2012 7:30:17 PM PDT
Hinch says:
woops! I left out my favorites. I made the list. Don't know where it went.

I listen to a lot of artists and genres so it's hard to keep it to just 5, so I'll just say there are 5 of what I consider the greatest albums ever re corded. Some might change if I made the list tomorrow.

1. Abbey Road - The Beatles
2. PLastic Ono Band -Lennon
3. All Things Must Pass - Harrison
4. What's Going On - Marvin Gaye
5. Songs In The Key Of Life - Stevie Wonder

'Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs' would be up there too.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 7:32:25 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 5, 2012 7:32:45 PM PDT]

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 7:33:29 PM PDT
D. Mok says:
> you did seem pretty hard on Lennon.

Why shouldn't I be? His "music" is air pollution in my ears. Even Deicide has more melody than John Lennon. I don't use context at all when I judge music. Which means I'm not going to give John Lennon a break just because he's bewitched so many other people.

My Top 10:

1. Trigger Fables, Taste of Joy
2. Maps of Tacit, Shannon Wright
3. Panamarenko, Pineforest Crunch
4. Achtung Baby, U2
5. A contre-jour, Julie Masse
6. Mint, Rachel Loshak
7. Flightsafety, Shannon Wright
8. American Thighs, Veruca Salt
9. Ten, Pearl Jam
10. Lovelife, Lush

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 7:33:47 PM PDT
Music Luver says:
Well, now that Lennon has been officially dissed, we will probably be seeing another yatz show up in here soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 7:36:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 5, 2012 7:38:54 PM PDT
Hinch says:
Ok

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 7:38:21 PM PDT
You took the words right out of my mouth, Music Luver. :(

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 7:38:40 PM PDT
Hinch says:
lol! Not familiar with what a " yatz show" is.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 7:41:46 PM PDT
Hey says:
You need to check out Horses ASAP then! It's absolutely fantastic from beginning to end. If you don't love the album after three spins, I'll eat my hat. If I had a hat, that is. The Residents and Suicide are a bit harder to digest though, that's for sure. The Residents have been making some of the strangest music released for the past 40 years and they still haven't told anyone who actually performs in the band. There are some pretty good guesses who's in it, but it's nothing concrete yet.

Suicide is two dudes, Alan Vega and Marty Rev, who just had a keyboard and a drum machine. They formed back in 1972 and there really wasn't anything else like them at the time. Still isn't much today like them either. Suicide: No Compromise is a pretty good primer on them, even though the last couple chapters get a little sycophantic.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 7:49:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 5, 2012 7:56:17 PM PDT
Hey says:
Yep, not much overlap. I like Ten and Lovelife, but I'm just not familiar enough with the other stuff to say, aside from U2, who I can't stand. I feel the same way about Bono that you do about Lennon, I'd estimate.

Regardless, I'm gonna check out the stuff I don't know for sure. Give it a listen and see what happens! Oh, and since you did ten, I'll drop five more, heh.

6. Husker Du - Zen Arcade
7. Kimya Dawson - Remember That I Love You
8. Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow
9. The Replacements - Let It Be
10. Joy Division - Substance (yeah, yeah, it's a singles comp but whatever! I listen to it more than either of the two albums)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 7:58:31 PM PDT
Hinch says:
I have an old Patti Smith vinyl album, but I don't remember which one. I believe it's Easter just from looking at the cover on Amazon. I have so many albums I forget what I do have

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 8:06:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 5, 2012 8:06:56 PM PDT
Hinch says:
I don't know if you remember 3" cds but I have several. I have 2 by Patti. One is "Gloria" and I think the other is "Because The Night". I also have at least one by The Beatles and a couple by The Monkees. I bought them years ago just for the novelty and for being unusual. I don't think they lasted long, as there wasnt much demand. You have to put them in the middle of the tray, where they fit perfectly. Obviously they wouldnt work in the inset type player.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 8:10:01 PM PDT
Music Luver says:
Starman get the 3 disc deluxe, it has all kinds of extras and bloopers and cool stuff.

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 8:16:28 PM PDT
Thanks, Music Luver! That's the one I will get. BTW- I have a creepy feeling that the spirit of EF is stalking us again. SMH

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 8:19:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 5, 2012 8:20:27 PM PDT
Hinch says:
I have have that deluxe set. It's worth the price I paid, except the third disc with multiple takes of the same songs. It kindas gets boring, especially since there's really not much difference. I'm sure if I was a recording artist, I would get very frustrated with doing repeated takes.

That's why I like albums like POB. It sounds spontaneous. Rock and roll isn't supposed to be perfect.

I'm a big Beatles fan, but I even get tired of the bootlegs with multiple takes of the same songs.

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 8:27:19 PM PDT
In reading the product details, it said one version had a few songs edited out of the original concert. I wasn't sure which one was which. I think they were removed because of an expiration of liscensing rights.

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 8:38:08 PM PDT
7 & 7 IS says:
I think it was due to him singing off mike or something that caused no sound for that one song. I like having them both because it's one of the best things he ever did. But with Elvis' body of work there are many treasures to be found, right up to the end. I like having both stand up shows on cd-and that missing song isn't on either set-plus, the cd of the dressing room rehearsals is fantastic and only available on the cd set for the 1st time.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 8:48:45 PM PDT
Music Luver says:
Which concert are you talking about? I thought the edited thing was for the Aloha from Hawaii set. I have that one as well. The deluxe. But looking at the song list it seems complete.

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 8:53:58 PM PDT
7 & 7 IS says:
Yeah, the Aloha thing is complete as far as I know. I meant...the '68 Comeback-on one of the stand-up shows the audio is out on one of the songs-either due to technical difficulties or Elvis' singing off mike.

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 8:55:47 PM PDT
Hinch says:
This is one of my favorite Elvis songs. Don't know where I heard it first, but I searched for it for years. I found it on one of those RCA Camden budget records, but not the one pictured in the video.

"Clean Up Your Own Backyard"

http://youtu.be/uW4JS_1-5QU

I don't remember seeing this but it's from The Trouble With Girls, so I must have.

http://youtu.be/es0lTx-bsRw

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 9:15:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 5, 2012 9:17:08 PM PDT
I have always loved the '68 Comeback, but I don't remember ever seeing the Aloha from Hawaii set. How does it compare with the '68 Comeback? Thanks for the help! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 9:19:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 5, 2012 9:20:56 PM PDT
Gena Chereck says:
Don't know if I'd consider him one of my very faves, though I do have a poster of him (9 different "young Elvis" pics, with his name and "1935-1977" underneath) in my room. (I also have a poster of the Beatles' 'Abbey Road.')

I like quite a few of his songs -- mostly his '50s and early '60s material -- and I've read both of Peter Guralnick's bios, 'Last Train to Memphis' and 'Careless Love' (fascinating stuff, though the latter is pretty depressing).

Haven't seen many of his movies, but I did like 'Jailhouse Rock,' 'King Creole,' and 'Follow That Dream'; I've also seen 'Love Me Tender' and 'Frankie & Johnny,' which were OK.

"I believe no artist or music is liked by everyone."

Agreed. Sometimes I may jokingly say something like "Aw, come on, how could anybody NOT like ___?" but I'm well aware that not everybody is going to like the same stuff. :D

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 9:25:48 PM PDT
7 & 7 IS says:
The rehearsal from the night before is largely believed to be better than the actual televised performance. They both have their moments. But Elvis sounds funny when he talks, as if he's trying to sound all wimpy and talking through his nose, and that comes through in some of the songs as well. But on others, he just kills. For me it's 3 stars. The '68 is 5 stars.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 9:33:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 5, 2012 9:37:54 PM PDT
Hinch says:
Aloha from Hawaii is a concert as opposed to an edited production. The Beatles "All You Need Is Love" was part of the first worldwide satellitte broadcast but Aloha From Hawaii was the first worldwide satelitte broadcast of a complete concert.

It was ok, but I prefer The Comeback Special. "Hawaii" was the beginning of his return to the stage and his long run in Vegas. I don't think it's aged as well as the comeback special. I like his concert tour movie "Elvis: That's The Way It Is" more than Hawaii.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 9:40:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 5, 2012 9:42:41 PM PDT
Gena, earlier you said your favorite band was They Might Be Giants. A couple of years ago I watched them play live on a TV concert special. Even though I was not real familiar with them, I really enjoyed the show. They were a lot of fun to watch. I can see why you like them so much! :D

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 9:51:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 5, 2012 9:53:58 PM PDT
Thanks for the information, Hinch. I think I will see if I can rent the Aloha from Hawaii set through Netflix first, and if I like it enough, I'l see about buying it. Talk to you later, because I have to get up early tomorrow. I hate Mondays! LOL
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  84
Total posts:  2079
Initial post:  Aug 4, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 3, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions