Customer Discussions > Music forum

British Invasion's "Heaviest " Band?.... The Dave Clark Five

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 168 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2009 10:26:31 AM PDT
ED S. says:
I was just about to edit my post stating that some of his post invasion Animals songs was with his group War.

The songs I mentioned were not minor hits.
"Spill the Wine" went to #3 in the U.S.
"San Franciscan Nights, #9...(#1 in Canada)
"SkyPilot", #14
"See See Rider, #10, (#1 in Canada...Oh those Canadians)

Posted on Sep 21, 2009 10:34:44 AM PDT
ED S. says:
Heavy 'Invasion Bands' you say;

"Baby Please Don't Go"
"Mystic Eyes"
"Here ComesThe Night"
"Gloria"

****THEM****

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2009 10:42:39 AM PDT
See See Rider was with the original Animals.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2009 10:59:32 AM PDT
J. Hix says:
Yes, and many more. We made a living being an Animals cover band

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2009 11:00:54 AM PDT
J. Hix says:
I would say you nailed Van Morrison. Those were his best for sure

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2009 11:03:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 21, 2009 11:06:48 AM PDT
ED S. says:
Dibbity, You are RIGHT!!!!!!!
"See See Rider" was the last single before the 'Eric Burdon' era, 1966, according to Wikipedia. Seems like I was out of High School when that song came out but apparently not.
But once again, I say to you, "See what you have done."

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2009 11:04:41 AM PDT
J. Hix says:
"San Franciscan Nights" should be the anthem of the Haight Ashbury era. Brings chills.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2009 11:09:37 AM PDT
ED S. says:
Hey J. Hix...

"I was't born there
Perhaps I'll die there
There's no place else left to go
San Francisco"

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2009 11:14:51 AM PDT
J. Hix says:
When people get pushy you can sing "It's My Life" or "Don't Bring Me Down"

Posted on Sep 21, 2009 11:25:56 AM PDT
In regards to my put-down of Eric Burdon's psychedelic period: I will admit When I Was Young is a great record (love the Iron Man opening 4 years before Black Sabbath did Iron Man). There is also an excellent version of that song recorded by Tina Turner around the time of Private Dancer but it was relegated to a B-side. Monterey and Sky Pilot I think are decent albeit very dated records.
But when I think of Eric Burdon's psychedelic period, I particularly think of his version of Paint It Black in the Monterey Pop movie, and that I frankly think is an embarrassment.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2009 11:36:09 AM PDT
Ed, maybe they weren't minor hits, but they certainly don't compare to such great songs such as 'House of the Rising Sun', 'Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood', 'We've gotta Get out of This Place', 'It's My life', and 'Don't Bring Me Down'. They were good songs, but I don't think they compare in quality to the songs The Animals did between 1964 and 1966. Some of their album cuts from that era are great songs also, such as 'Boom, Boom' a John Lee Hooker cover, and, 'Gonna Send You Back To Walker. Just my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2009 11:50:07 AM PDT
Needless to say, The Animals were a great band. I'm reading the back of their first album, and, they all mention, with the exception of Alan Price, that Ray Charles was a big influence on them.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2009 11:51:20 AM PDT
J. Hix says:
If your thinking of Paint it Black by the Stones you are right on.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2009 11:57:00 AM PDT
J. Hix says:
Well put. The same could be said for the Stones. Their best stuff was 64-65 and nearly all from Americas' great black musicians like Robert Johnson.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2009 12:16:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 21, 2009 12:18:32 PM PDT
doodah man says:
Since we've segued to the Animals and their psychedelic period, nothing could epitomize that era for the Animals more than the 'B' side to "When I Was Young", a song called "A Girl Named Sandoz", in reference to Sandoz pharmaceutical labs that legally produced LSD.

Also, speaking of the Nashville Teens, mid-1966 Animal drummer John Steel left the band, and was replaced by Barry Jenkins of the Teens (1966 until the split in '69). The original Animals regrouped in 1975-76 (Burdon/Valentine/Price/Chandler/Steel)

Favorite Animals songs: "Hey Gyp" and "Inside Looking Out"

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2009 12:46:04 PM PDT
J. Hix says:
Best version of Tobacco Road. And Jerry Lee showed up in great fashion. That is about as good as he ever got whcicj is great r & r.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2009 3:17:20 PM PDT
DKPete says:
Dibbity, I'm referring to the earlier one. You're right about the success of those bands but my response concerned the post I responded to which suggested jumping on the Pepper bandwagon.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2009 5:39:41 PM PDT
Ed. S

Los Bravos

What a great song. I make 60's compilations all the time for my vehicle. That and "HusH" by Deep Purple are on just about everyone of them. Interesting to note. I searched almost 40 years to find the follow-up to Black is Black, which is a song called "Bring a little Lovin".. It's a great song and I finally have it on CD. Check out youtube to see and hear it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2009 5:41:57 PM PDT
DOn't bring me down was a Great, Great AM Radio hit. Still my favorite Animal Song.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2009 6:20:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 23, 2009 6:10:22 AM PDT
Glen Kepic says:
Nice pick Joe with Don't Bring Me Down.

Another Animals fave for me is Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood.
I noticed Robben Ford did a cover of this song on his Blue Line release Handful Of Blues from '95... Seems interesting.
I need to order it--maybe after my Chris Cain cd arrives.

ps-regarding Sky Pilot---man, I love that song. It gets played occasionally on the oldies station i listen to.

I remember owning The Twain Shall Meet when i was a kid (actually had to look it up here as i couldn't remember the title) and the '...how high can you fly..." part didn't have the echo effect on it. The cd version offers the 'single' versions. Monterey from this album was great, too.

Man, i traded away too many records :( lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2009 8:28:04 AM PDT
Glen

re: trading away records

Let's not even get into that!!!! When I went to College in 1970, My Mom (bless her soul), took all my Beatle 45 picture sleeves (original)
and thru them OUT!! OUCH. I have replaced most of them with the exception of "Can't Buy Me Love". way to expensive.

Anyway, During the Punk era, I took all of my 60's lp's and traded them in for Punk Lp's. That was a great investment. :o)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2009 8:50:02 AM PDT
J. Hix says:
Why do my Xs end up with my album collection from Buddy Hooly Jimmy Reed etc and my mother throws away 10 cigar boxes of basesball cards with rookies, Mantle, Marris, Mays, etc., Boo hoo

Posted on Sep 22, 2009 9:28:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 22, 2009 9:29:53 AM PDT
Soundman says:
Happenings Ten Years Time Ago - The Yardbirds (with Jimmy Page on guitar). Or The Yardbirds with Jeff Beck, OR The Yardbirds with Eric Clapton.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2009 9:48:36 AM PDT
Happenings Ten Years Time Ago features Jeff Beck on guitar and Jimmy Page on bass. Page was originally hired to replace Paul Samwell-Smith, but after a situation where Beck got sick on tour and the Yardbirds had to do some shows with Page on guitar and rhythm guitarist Chris Dreja playing bass, they decided to switch to a dual-lead set-up with Beck and Page while Dreja remained on bass. Unfortunately this lasted only a couple of months with only one song recorded (Stroll On from the movie Blowup), as Beck the quit the band.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2009 10:06:50 AM PDT
J. Hix says:
Amen
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  40
Total posts:  168
Initial post:  Sep 18, 2009
Latest post:  May 11, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions