Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale
Customer Discussions > Music forum

"Elvis and the Beatles stole from black music."

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 565 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2011 8:55:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 22, 2011 8:56:10 AM PDT
Mark O'Neil,
WHAT was THAT ?!! .. a "black" pronouncing chicken, .. "black black black black black black black, .. BLACK!!!! .. . vlack black black black black black black black ..." with intervals of human speech ??? What is this, .. a sideshow ??!!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2011 9:11:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 22, 2011 9:14:35 AM PDT
H Robinhim says:
Very well said. I am a black man in my mid 40's and I have never been a fan of Fats Domino or Chuck Berry. I do however, understand that they were the pioneers of what later became Rock and Roll. And Rock and Roll later became defined as a white genre of music, and hugely popular making many a white man rich and famous. I suppose the "rub" is that the blacks that preceeded this phenomenom did not get their "due". Tough break, but no apologies necessary! The entrenched and systematic racism that is part and parcel to this nations history would not have allowed for the marketing and promoting of "black" music during the earliest days of Rock and Roll. When white musicians started to take on some of the cues of these black pioneers, the music was billed as original and properly promoted to the largest segment of potential consumers...whites...and there you have it..instant celebrity, fame and fortune. I say lets get over it and try to move on...excuse me..gotta go..."You aint nothing but a hound dog" just came on the radio. Peace!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2011 9:14:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 22, 2011 9:15:17 AM PDT
Mistercd103 says:
..... Willie Mae Thornton?

Posted on Aug 22, 2011 11:42:25 AM PDT
MH says:
Shemp-Masta-Flash:
"Hey, tell all that to Jake Holmes - he sent a letter to Page asking not for money but for acknowledgement (so he says) & Page never responded. Mr. Hollerup: "Hey Jake, don't feel too bad -- if Page hadn't 'appropriated' parts of your song, nobody would give a **** about you these days!"
"Gosh, Mr. Hollerup!," says Jake, " I never looked at it that way before! Now I'm GLAD they ripped....I mean, BORROWED from me and made millions!"

All this proves is that you like Led Zep better than the people that influenced them...which is all well and good, but it doesn't "prove" anything re: who did what first and better. Memphis Minnie did what she did and Zep did what they did and both did it well, only Zep couldn't have done it WITHOUT Memphis Minnie, Willie Dixon, etc. doing it FIRST."

It's a little bit tirering that this Zep bashing pops up every time black music is mentioned. In other threads I have expressed my opinion about paying due credit and I wholeheartedly agree with anyone who believes Page and others should have paid due credits. It's a mistake he didn't since it wouldn't diminish Zeps reputation as creative songwriters and outstanding musicianship.

But this is a different debate. As for the MUSIC, what Zep did with those blues songs was outstanding. While it is true that "When the Levee Breaks" would not have been written without Memphis Minnie, Zeps transformation of the song reveals a unique understanding of the genre. And the world of music is richer for it. I can't see anyone else rework or reinvent blues music on that level, be it Stones, Clapton, Allman Brothers or Fleetwood Mac.

Not only were Zep unique interpreters of black music, they were highly creative songwriters themselves in various genres, making some of the best rock/blues/folk music for a decade.

Funny that those who dislike Zep always pull the missing credits out of the hat. It's never about the quality of the music.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2011 11:53:59 AM PDT
Hmm...that's odd, as Jake Holmes and the Small Faces aren't black.

I never said I "dislike" Zep, btw. As for "outstanding musicianship," no argument (especially on "Houses of the Holy" & I'm NOT being sarcastic), except for the 40 minute drum solos Bonham would take in concert while the band went offstage to get high. (It's in the book "Hammer of the Gods.") Gosh, that showed a lot of respect for the audience.

And no one's even brought up Page's adventures as a pedophile -- mentioned in "Hammer" is his ongoing relationship with a 14-year-old girl. (Or was it 15? I forget.) Everybody's down on Jacko Jackson and "Roamin' Polanski for their youthful pleasure-adventures yet nobody mentions Page's indiscretion.

Posted on Aug 22, 2011 12:13:13 PM PDT
MH says:
Wow, you've really been digging up the dirt. I haven't read "Hammer" and I don't intend to, so I can't comment on the credibility of that book. But I guess you can find similar books about Stones, Beatles etc.

As for getting high, wasn't that part of the package back then? I would imagine the audience were probably equally stoned.

A drum solo was definitely a must in those days. I found them boring then as I do now.

It's the first I've ever heard of allegations about Page being a pedophile. Hope it's not true. However, if the girl was 15, it probably cannot be classified as that.

Basically I don't give a hoot if Zep were sympathetic or not. I'm not going to have afternoon tea with them, I just enjoy the magic they created as artists.

Posted on Aug 22, 2011 12:20:29 PM PDT
Cain Knobel says:
Influence/borrowed/took inspiration from/

So many words better fit than "stole".

In the 50's the same song was cut for different audiences, it was quite common. Did the black performers who covered "Yesterday" steal from the Beatles?

Did Elvis steal from white people since he made more money doing "Blue Moon of Kentucky" than Bill Monore?

Posted on Aug 22, 2011 1:46:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 23, 2011 7:22:01 AM PDT
D. Mok says:
For the last time, anybody who accuses Led Zeppelin of stealing from black blues musicians...read up on blues history. Black blues musicians themselves took riffs, structures and even lyrics from their predecessors all the time...and usually credited *themselves* with the songwriting.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2011 2:12:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 23, 2011 2:19:43 PM PDT
Cain Knobel says:
Mok: Zeppelin gets mentioned because they took credit for songwriting when the songs were already copyrighted. Agreed Willie Dixon borrowed a lot and put his name on it, but when you "Bringing It All Back Home" almost the same as Big Waler Horton (from the 'Soul of the Blues Harmonica' record which I can't find on CD and my LP had "Shakey Horton") except for mixing it more rock and roll and then credit to yourselves you are going to be accused of stealing.

Posted on Aug 23, 2011 2:50:51 PM PDT
Joe Anthony says:
"Elvis and the Beatles stole from black music."

I say:

The "soul" of all great American music is essentially Black. The "soul" of all great American comedy is essentially Jewish.

I know that the Beatles weren't Americans but they played rock music which is American and Paul MCartney liked the way that Little Richard used to go "WOOOOO", and he did it in a couple of early Beatles songs.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2011 2:59:41 PM PDT
dallas says:
W.Robinson

This thread sucks.

Posted on Aug 23, 2011 3:14:07 PM PDT
"All art is theft"

Picasso

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2011 4:18:30 PM PDT
Maybe the Moors. Bing Crosby had that mordant tone when he sang a sentimental ballad which was much of the time.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2011 4:19:37 PM PDT
Maybe the Moors. Bing Crosby like a lot of Irish singers had that mordant tone when he sang a sentimental song.

Posted on Aug 23, 2011 4:20:47 PM PDT
Maybe the Moors. Bing Crosby like a lot of Irish singers had that mordant tone when he sang a sentimental song.

Posted on Aug 23, 2011 4:25:06 PM PDT
S. Rice says:
"Oh no !... I'm so sorry it's the Moops, the correct answer is... the Moops"

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2011 4:47:18 PM PDT
A. Dotterman says:
They also covered a couple of Little Richard songs.

Posted on Aug 23, 2011 7:44:23 PM PDT
Hey Jude! Hey Bing!

Posted on Aug 23, 2011 8:31:57 PM PDT
Oh lord!--This same ol' boring & tired argument that is like the 7-headed hydra!
Just when you think the head's been chopped off, another grows in it's place....only more stupid each time.

Posted on Aug 23, 2011 8:52:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 24, 2011 3:40:21 PM PDT
Yes white artists from the 50s and 60s were heavily influenced by black artists. But they have always admitted it. Elvis, The Beatles, The Rolling Sones, Clapton etc. They constantly give props and respect to those who inspired them. And let's be thankful they did, or what would Rock n Roll have sounded like? I say they were smart to seek them out, and I am a black musician and am not offended by this. When musical cultures collide something beautiful emerges. And just in case you didn't know everybody steals from everybody else no exceptions. That way music keeps on evolving.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2011 12:24:14 PM PDT
W. Robinson says:
Think so dallas? .. well I think it RUELS!!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2011 12:25:22 PM PDT
W. Robinson says:
Mark O'Neill, .. THINK BLACK! .. Thats my moto.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2011 1:43:08 PM PDT
Marc says:
Ian, isnt it very, very sad that if Elvis "stole" music ( which is a moronic afro-centric term if I ever heard one), why is there never even one black person, especially a young girl among all those teeny boppers who loved him and by the way, Elvis hung out with blacks from his, home town, I have photos of him dancing in the streets with blacks of all ages, so they knew he wasnt prejudiced at all. So lets turn it around......................why did blacks spurn him and his music? Hey Mr Sharpton, maybe you know the answer. You know the answer to every racial problem so lets hear your answer. "Sigh" This racial nonsense never stops,does it, Ian?

Posted on Sep 7, 2011 1:51:30 PM PDT
NiggerPlease says:
The Beatles and other British Invasion artists took the crap "Black" Music combined it with "white" classical music and created the best music in the world today.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2011 1:56:51 PM PDT
Marc says:
Right on Mok! Dont worry, while there are good blacks who dont see color all over the worldf, black people are the only people who dont let the past go. Asians and jews have thousands of years of slaverry and persecution. But, you will never hear them even talk about it. Asians and Jews are too busy being productive and adding to the world eithe r by deed, a kind word or thier mannerisms. If you really look at each ethnicity that came to America, blacks are the only people I know who would want to make blame and suffering an olympic sport because too many of them just never stop. I would bet a lot of money that Obama, Condy Rice and Oprah dont spend 5 minutes a year thinking how bad a break blacks got. They are too busy evolving and re-inventing themselves. But wait, since Im supposed to complain, let me tell you how awful I feel that 8 million of my people were killed by the Germans in WW2 for no reason at all except that they were smart bankers and Germany needed a scapegoat. So how many wonderful musicians in the thousands had to have been lost by that tragedy. You know how much time I give that incident. Zero! Why is it that the people who complain the most do the least?

Trivia question: Name me 5 people in the history of the world who achieved anything but a bitter unhappy life and destroyed tier health and made everyone around them depressed by complaining about racial inequality? Im still waiting for the thank you's for all the money that came out of my taxes for free education to non-deserving people of all colors simply because we now have govt quotas. Hey, lets all ask for a refund for "MOST MONEY WASTED BY ANY GOVT IN THE WORLD!"

Ok, I vented. Now I am done until my next lifetime when I will complain for 5 minutes again, then realize I am getting myself sick, and then stop. I wish great music for all of us on planet earth, as music is vibration and only when we are attuned to the same vibrations can we ever have peace. Namaste, marc
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  162
Total posts:  565
Initial post:  Aug 17, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 29, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions