Customer Discussions > Music forum

Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 120 posts in this discussion
Posted on Sep 7, 2012 10:57:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2012 10:57:46 AM PDT
Johnny Bee says:
For the casual fan I would say that The Anthology is all the Peter Green you'll probably ever need. And the sound quality is excellent throughout.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2012 8:56:55 AM PDT
What a trip Jim McG. Didn't know he was still around all those guys Peter, Danny and Jeremy seem to have dropped out somewhat. Jeremy making a record now is kind of cool. Never my fave. But he could do a mean Elmore James. I'm curious to what he sounds like now. Thanks Jim.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2012 9:03:17 AM PDT
stevign says:
re: "I'm curious to what he sounds like now"

Not good in my opinion. It's almost impossible to hear the old Jeremy in his voice and his playing now.

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 12:18:46 PM PDT
With only the Peter Green Splinter group making music in the past few years not much is heard today from Jeremy or Danny and the 'curse' of Fleetwood Mac still continues...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 2:06:20 PM PDT
stevign says:
re: "not much is heard today from Jeremy or Danny"

During the late 1970s Kirwan's mental health deteriorated significantly and since then he has played no further part in the music industry. During the 1980s and 1990s, he endured a period of homelessness living in London.

In a 2009 BBC TV documentary about Peter Green, Clifford Davis blamed Kirwan's deterioration on the same incident that damaged Green's mental stability, i.e. a reaction to LSD taken at a party at a commune in Munich, Germany in late March 1970. Davis stated:

"Peter Green and Danny Kirwan both went together to that house in Munich, both of them took acid as I understand it, [and] both of them, as of that day, became seriously mentally ill."

However, other sources do not concur that Kirwan was present at the house in Munich. Fleetwood Mac roadie Dinky Dawson remembers that Green was at the party with another roadie, Dennis Keane, and that Kirwan did not go. Dawson also states that when Keane returned to the band's hotel to explain that Green would not leave the commune, neither Kirwan nor Davis travelled to the commune to fetch Green, leaving that job to Keane, Dawson and Mick Fleetwood. ~ Wiki

As for Jeremy; he joined a cult called the "Children of God" and now called "The Family". These are not good people.

http://www.xfamily.org/index.php/Jeremy_Spencer

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 12:59:29 PM PST
When Peter Green left Fleetwood Mac in 1970 Danny didn't want to be pushed into the spotlight as he was always right with Peter and he didn't have the confidence to be the leader of FM. Bob Welch, was brought in 1971 and shared roles of guitar/vocals with Danny and all was well in Macville for awhile but, after 18 months and two of Fleetwood Mac's greatest records ("Future Games" & "Bare Trees") Danny was gone as well and has never recovered from his many personal issues and demons he fights.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 1:54:51 PM PST
stevign says:
re: "after 18 months and two of Fleetwood Mac's greatest records ("Future Games" & "Bare Trees")"

You mean FM's greatest records "post" Peter Green, right?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 3:42:55 PM PST
stevign,

Earlier you mentioned Jeremy's link to the Family that lead me to lots of weird and disturbing stuff he is accused of and said. Child molestation and weird statements about other musicians. Real, real disturbing. I actually never dug him in Mac too much now i'm just creeped out by him.

Philip and stevign,

I'm conflicted on the Welch stuff. I guess i should try a little harder to check it out. But it just never grabbed me.

Danny to me is way underrated. A perfect foil for Peter but brought so much cool stuff to the table. Great player and singer. Real bummer he couldn't get his substance abuse under control. Seems like much of the the band along the line had that problem.

I really love "Like It This Way". Danny and Peter trade of that great lick perfectly. Great singing. It has an Otis Rush feel to it. Lick wise and energy wise. Even the vocal, just cool.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 6:10:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 6:11:13 PM PST
stevign says:
re: "I actually never dug him in Mac too much"

That's a bummer, I "really" dug Spencer's voice and his playing. Danny was great too and the fact that their styles were so different, I can enjoy them both without comparing the two. Welch is good but the only album I ever really liked him on was French Kiss, more specifically, the song "Outskirts" which prompted me to buy the album in the 1st place. Definitely the most ballsy song on the album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS-J2fQJLU8

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 7:43:28 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 7:54:12 PM PST
Alright stevign, i like his stuff on the Chess studios record. But man his stuff is really a drag to me in any record by Mac. He is really good at doing Elmore. But man i guess i just thought he was more repetitive and derivative than anything else. He does it well but i just don't dig his one trick pony. And man i'm all for one trick pony type musicians. AC/DC, Ramones, Motorhead do it over and over, don't change do it well. Just never got into his thing. Except for a few select tracks.

I'll check out Outskirts and get back.

Stevign, and anyone else check out the Guitar Forum and the Guitar Player Magazine discusson, you don't need to read the mag, it's a fun discussion for guitar lovers.

I gotta add i really really love Elmore James! I think he is very underrated. His vocal and playing is just on fire. But Jeremy and many others watered it down to miss his thing. He took that Robert Johnson riff and made it his own, literally and in every way electrified it. Elmore rocks!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:48:54 PM PST
stevign says:
I like Elmore James' style but he too was a one-trick-pony. I have an Elmore James compilation and that's all I need, any more than that just sounds too repetitive for my ears. To tell you the truth, I would rather hear Jeremy and Fleetwood Mac do Elmore James instead of Elmore James. ;~)

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 5:15:05 AM PST
Geezerguy says:
stevign says:
re: "I actually never dug him in Mac too much"

That's a bummer, I "really" dug Spencer's voice and his playing. Danny was great too and the fact that their styles were so different, I can enjoy them both without comparing the two. Welch is good but the only album I ever really liked him on was French Kiss...

I dug all of these guys. Peter's "Green Manalishi" and "Albatross" are classic. Welch's new age noodling on "Bermuda Triangle" and "Hypnotized" are pretty cool. Danny's "Second Chapter" sounds like decent McCartney out-takes. Unfortunately, I heard one of Jeremy's solo discs and it seemed like a disco-pop travesty.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 12:02:15 PM PST
I guess Jeremy's stuff just breaks up the momentum of the record for me. Talented singer and player but i wish he was in there less.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 3:40:47 PM PST
stevign says:
Your post is too confusing. It was Anthony Fernandez who said "I actually never dug him in Mac too much".

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 4:08:31 PM PST
Geezerguy says:
Hence the re:
Any indication that it was you who said Jeremy wasn't cool in the Mac was inadvertent. I was just indicating that despite the variety of players and styles the band had some pretty cool guitarists. I actually believe Welch was a significant player in the band's history. It's my understanding that the band didn't include him in the Hall of Fame induction. Is that so? Any thoughts?

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 12:13:32 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 11, 2012 12:14:44 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 12:14:21 AM PST
Back in 1975 Lindsey Buckingham would perform Danny's tune "Station Man" at shows and he could really nail that one. Bob Welsh, has been quoted as saying he had played "Oh Well" at more shows than Peter Green and he did a version a few years before his death and he was on fire on guitar. Peter, Jeremy, Danny, Bob Welsh, Bob Weston, Dave Mason and Lindsey....Fleetwood Mac boosts about the best lineup of guitar slingers of any group of the rock era.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 12:51:16 AM PST
Dave Mason? Cool didn't know that. Dave is such a cool player. When was he in Mac?

I remember reading that Lindsy didn't care so much for playing the Welch era stuff. So maybe that affected the induction lineup. Real bummer if it did. They should all go in.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 3:41:57 PM PST
stevign says:
re: "I actually believe Welch was a significant player in the band's history."

Sorry to be so picky but I don't see any significance to them at all after Peter and Jeremy left.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 5:51:04 PM PST
Dave Mason, was a member of Fleetwood Mac in 1994-95 and his songs are found on the "Time" album of 1995.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 3:19:22 AM PST
Geezerguy says:
Stevign, Certainly if blues are your thing the post- Peter/Jeremy years have little to offer. However, I think many of those albums are very good and Bare Trees is brilliant.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 7:50:06 AM PST
stevign says:
re: "Certainly if blues are your thing"

I think it's safe to say while Peter was around Fleetwood Mac was "Blues-Rock", after he left they were "Pop-Rock". In my opinion that's a real step down.....as it would be for any band who were at the top of their game quality-wise. I don't blame Mac "too" much, he had to do what he had to do in order to save the group and keep food on the table.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 12:12:29 PM PST
EvenSteven says:
You can almost see a parallel with a band like the Byrds & FM in terms of career.
Both bands have had to pick themselves up dust off after departures of key members.
& inevitably the sound & direction of both groups did change but continue to make hits.
That's a combination of luck, will & talent.
I still like the "Green" era best but a guy like Bob Welsh was truly under rated & kept them afloat (post Green) until they hit platinum status.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 12:24:49 PM PST
stevign says:
Other than knowing what will sell well among the masses, I've never seen "making Hits" as a sign of any real talent.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 5:12:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jun 16, 2013 11:29:02 PM PDT
A. Strong says:
Of the early Fleetwood Mac records I enjoyed English Rose and parts of Then Play On but, later albums with Bob Welch and some of the Buckingham/Nicks records have some great moments found on them as well. Every version of Fleetwood Mac has it's merits not just the Peter Green years.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  29
Total posts:  120
Initial post:  May 31, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions