Customer Discussions > Music forum

Is today's Music really that bad?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 668 posts in this discussion
Posted on Oct 23, 2012 5:54:00 PM PDT
I live In Phila and I am lucky to have WXPN (University of Penn) They are a great radio station that plays the best of the new music as well as old faves and songs other stations simply don't play. They have a tremendous variety and lots of specialized programing. For example, Saturdays at 5.00 is an hour show called the Many Moods Of Ben Vaughn. Saturday nights from 7-1 is The Blues Show. New and old. I discovered so mych great blues over the years listening to this. After the blues at 1 AM to 6 Am Sunday is Stars End. All music like Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulz. Sundays nights from 7-11 is folk music with Gene Shay. Another great show. There id much more too. The World Cafe which features live interviews and live music. Special 24 hours Prog show around News Years every year. There is a Grateful Dead hour on Monday nights. Funky Fridays. The Womens Hour. Jerry Blavet Show. They truely cover a lot of territory! It's the ONLY radio station I listen to except for a couple of special shows on another station like Breakfast With The Beatles. Other than that WXPN has kept me interested in new music. There IS some Rap but not very much. But this is where I discovered some good current music like My Morning Jacket, Secret Sisters, Adele, The Shins, Fleet Foxes, Dr Dog and others. And best of all-NO COMMERCIALS! Check out their websight. I believe you can stream the station. I am not really sure though.

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 6:23:24 PM PDT
ELVIS FAN says:
Is today's Music really that bad? : YES!

Or in other words, its not that good!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2012 6:26:45 PM PDT
ELVIS FAN says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2012 9:33:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 23, 2012 9:35:27 PM PDT
@E.Dill: OK, so there were three albums in your top ten for 1985 that I hadn't heard--The Golden Palominos, The Fall and Mojo Nixon/Skid Roper. The Fall was a band I had heard of many times but for some reason or other never had a chance to check out. Needless to say, I was blown away. Just what cave have I been living in the past three decades? Definitely worthy of top 10--actually, top 5--consideration for the year. I look forward to exploring the rest of their output.

Mojo Nixon/Skid Roper was enjoyable, with a big slice of the 60s garage bands and hints of VU in there, very lo-fi and minimalist with plenty of humor. Nontheless, while I enjoyed it, I find the group to be a bit of a novelty act (and certainly not worthy of placing over Kate Bush! LOL).

In researching The Golden Palominos' album, I was surprised to see so many disparate superstars of the rock world collected all in one place--Richard Thompson, Bill Laswell, John Lydon, Jack Bruce, Michael Stipe, Bernie Worrell, etc. This pricked my interest, and the music for the most part did not disappoint. The songs were very well-written and the performances sincere (Stipe's influence seemed the greatest here), although as with most 80s albums the production is a bit of a turnoff for me (esp the drums). Still, it may make the bottom reaches of the top 10--I'm about to check out your next 15 for that year to see what else I might find. Of those 15, I've only heard two--New Order (who I cannot stand) and Killing Joke (interesting but somewhat overrated). In spite of being a huge Nico fan I've never heard "Camera Obscura". I'll get back to you...

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 6:41:36 AM PDT
Arseface says:
Underneath all of the music industry BS, music is actually getting better, imo.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012 8:57:28 AM PDT
B-Jak says:
I think you have a great point here. The "industry" has been trying to tell people what to listen to since the late 60's - early 70's heyday, and, in the process, ignoring some great stuff in an attempt to find the "next best thing". If you look towards mainstream outlets, which are getting more and more desperate to stay alive after shooting themselves in the foot this way, you WILL be sorely disappointed. But, again, really, it doesn't take a lot of work to find great music. Just looking up an album you like on Amazon and following the trail of other customers who purchased the same album will lead you to a trove of treasures.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012 7:14:32 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
@Michael Topper:

RE: The Fall
<<I look forward to exploring the rest of their output. >>

You've got some exploring to do.

I took a look at their list on rateyourmusic and counted out 64 albums (somewhere it said that their last studio release was #29 which means the rest of them were live performances), 10 ep's and 40 compilations of their work. No, I don't have all of them. Let's see. How many do I have? 36. Five of them I have only on cassette. I'd be lying if I suggested I know each and every one of them intimately. As much as I like Mark's rants of the early days (pre-Brix, 1979-82, I do prefer the 3 albums made with her in the saddle, whether on record or not....she only appears on 2 songs on Peverted by Language, but her influence already shows.). Then the great "Wonderful and Frightening World" and "This Nation's Saving Grace", illustrating that The Fall could become more commercially palatable without losing their edge. When Mark and Brix wound up splitting in 1988, the band did seem to lose some of the pop that she'd brought to the table as well as her particular guitar sound. She did, on occasion, come back to play with the band over the years. Mark has since remarried to another band member (female). A who's who of The Fall for their entire existence would be one rather long list. As Mark as said, "If it's me and your granny on bongos, it's a Fall gig."

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 2:03:09 AM PDT
D. Vicks says:
I don't want my MTV.

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 10:17:41 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
I never wanted it in the first place ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012 6:24:04 PM PDT
"music composed as a perception of nature would be program music vs absolute music. I can't think of a piece by Mozart that would be considered program music."

Well ok then, using Mozart and nature together served as a poor example. With few exception, Beethoven wrote from an absolute approach. I was attempting to get better clarity concerning your opinions on the progression of Classical music, the concept of "derivative," and whether CM has improved. After re-reading, I see where I took your response out of context (new CM recording releases).

"If you think of a perfect score by Mozart coming to him very quickly, faster than he could write it down, it seems like the piece was ALREADY out there somewhere (in the sky or in Nature). He just recognized it from its symmetry and its resolving integers and its architecture (form)."

Strict adherence to the original score and notation... original artistic intent. I see merit in that approach. You were pretty clear about the latter and my fault for misunderstanding your response.

Deferring to Mozart's piece as a derivative from "sky or Nature" doesn't jibe with me. Derivative (from a historical framework) and creative makes more sense.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012 6:35:43 PM PDT
"Some honestly feel that great classical music was harder to find after the 1800's... Great jazz harder to find after the 1960's"

Definitely count me as a non-member in the "Some" population. Or maybe I was just lucky discovering Stravinsky, Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Bartok, Satie (etc)... Medeski, Martin, & Wood, Surman, Nik Bartsch's Ronin, Marcin Wasilewski Trio (etc)...

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 7:05:45 PM PDT
For those who are willing to explore, the icons are among us. I'm borrowing that phrase from a Jazz DVD set that was released a couple of years back. Though a Jazz subject is presented, I can't help thinking that the same applies to other styles.

Icons Among Us (Four-Disc Edition / CD-ROM Study Guide)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PNiX-ONTxY

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 8:10:57 AM PDT
D. Vicks says:
Anyone listen to Lady Gaga and Justin Beiber?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 8:18:10 AM PDT
Randy says:
Someone must, but I'm not sure why.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 8:21:58 AM PDT
Severin says:
The little I've heard of Lady Gaga she seems to have some talent both as a singer and songwriter so I don't know why she needs all the novelty costumes and voice modulation. I know nothing about Beiber other than that he has a Beatles haircut. How original.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 8:25:59 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
@Dave vicks:

<<Anyone listen to Lady Gaga and Justin Beiber?>>

I've also, in my lifetime, listened to Sophie Tucker, Ethel Merman, the 1910 Fruitgum Co., Mario Lanza, Janette McDonald (with Nelson Eddy, of course), Billy Joel (gasp), and so on.....

I don't make a habit of listening to either of them but I have more of a soft spot for Gaga. I haven't seen her enough (you must SEE her and listen to her....it's better that way) to know if she has staying power....for me. Everytime Madonna would irritate me with some song or pronouncement, she'd do something refreshing or outrageous and I'd be back defending her, as if she needed my defense. (It's the a-holes who insisted on referring to her as a wh*** that upset me....not their views of her music.)

Actually Gaga reminds me, historically, of that black singer in the 30's or 40's who made it big in Europe with her extravagent stage shows. Both her and Gaga don't have the classic beautiful features but use shock and attitude and style to attract. It works for me. The more outrageous, the better. Beiber is growing up and I haven't heard if he's got a "new voice" yet. It's too early to tell with him. He could be the new David Cassidy or the new Justin Timberlake....you never can tell. My 18 year old daughter likes him and she's usually got edgy tastes. Maybe she sees something in Beiber that he doesn't even yet know is there.

Ok, today I'm going to listen to some (that's not more than one or two, is it?) music by both of them....with Gaga, I'll try to do it via youtube so I can get the visuals too.

ed

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 8:54:38 AM PDT
barbW says:
it's Bieber

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 10:05:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2012 10:07:18 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
I saw a TV show called Shaq vs Bieber.
I liked him after that special...he beat Shaq at bowling (Bieber can bowl like crazy and does several cool trick shots) plus he beat him at 3 on 3 basketball. The guy can shoot and he flipped up a high shot over Shaq in the key for the win. Even Shaq couldn't believe it.

I don't care for his music...but...I think he's an cool guy!
I can't believe I just wrote that..oh well it's the truth.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 10:06:08 AM PDT
D. Vicks says:
Aren't they totaly produced?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 11:11:52 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
i thought it was heir supply

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 11:21:01 AM PDT
D. Vicks says:
When is the next Honey Boo Boo album coming out?

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 11:47:49 AM PDT
Honey Boo Boo has the coolest mom, it's like a Jerry Springer episode every day at Casa De La Boo Boo.
Television, at it's finest!

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 12:20:51 PM PDT
a simple answer complete with example...

Yes, today's music is THAT bad.

Lil Wayne

I'm out...

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 12:30:00 PM PDT
Emery Would says:
Just as every era has believed that the end of the world was imminent, pretty much everybody believes that the music of the next generation is horrible.

Your musical taste is set at age 15. When an aging hippie looks back at '67, he remembers the Beatles and Hendrix, but forgets all the dreck that most people were listening to. Here's the Top 10 sellers of that year:
1. To Sir With Love, Lulu
2. The Letter, The Box Tops
3. Ode to Billie Joe, Bobby Gentry Ode to Billie Joe
4. Windy, The Association
5. I'm a Believer, The Monkees
6. Light My Fire, The Doors
7. Somethin' Stupid, Nancy Sinatra and Frank Sinatra
8. Happy Together, The Turtles
9. Groovin', The Young Rascals
10. Can't Take My Eyes Off You, Frankie Valli

Blech.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 12:31:02 PM PDT
You would diss...LULU???
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  85
Total posts:  668
Initial post:  Oct 19, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions