Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Music forum

Best bass players in rock, Please no jazz etc

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 225 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2011 4:05:29 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 4, 2011 8:44:49 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2011 4:24:15 PM PDT
D. Swalin says:
I do have to agree with all the suggestions on Paul's bass playing. My personal favorites are "Rain" and "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds." Although I think pretty much all his stuff is great.

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 4:36:06 PM PDT
erik brower says:
I definitely agree with the last few McCartney posts. You can't say enough about what he and the Beatles did for music on a whole but Paul and the other Beatles by themselves are passable musicians from a technical standpoint, but that doesn't take away from their creativity and sense of melody. Roger Waters falls under this same heading.

Good call on Laswell, also Jeff Berlin, have you seen Richie Kotzen play bass? Check out the video for Payin' Dues!! I know where trying to stay away from jazz but Bunny Brunel has done some cool stuff with CAB. Andy West and Dave LaRue from Dixie Dregs. Billy Sheehan and Stu Hamm definitely have not been listed enough . Ross Valory, the first 3 Journey albums are very different from the Steve Perry albums...and no love for Randy Jackson??!! LOL. I think only one person has said Robert Trujillo.

And anyone who uses a pick to play a bass should be automatically disqualified. Not saying an occasional use for effect or experimentation, but as an example Jason Newstead should be clubbed to death with a bass.

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 6:39:48 PM PDT
YaketyCat says:
Paul McCartney
Dee Dee Ramone

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2011 6:58:18 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 4, 2011 8:44:51 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2011 9:12:15 PM PDT
erik brower says:
It is a matter of taste. I wouldn't consider most of the ones you've listed as elite bass players. Everyone on that list is perfectly capable of laying down a rhythm and staying in key and staying out of the way of whoever their working for. Or in the case of say McCartney or Waters, something for their hands to do and so they can be more involved in bringing their genius to light.

However of the ones on your list that i would put on my "best" bass player list, Jack Bruce and John Entwistle are quite capable of using their fingers and do so very often. The only other one I would consider is Chris Squire. But honestly, he's not why I listen to Yes. The rest of the list really doesn't impress me.

My point is if you can't play bass with your fingers than you haven't taken the time to learn your instrument. That's even more shameful if you're a professional bass player. That's just being lazy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2011 9:19:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 27, 2011 9:22:22 PM PDT
bass boy says:
Anyone who uses a pick should be disqualified? For real? So, you're going to disqualify Entwistle (who played with a pick about a fourth of the time) and Chris Squire, who always plays with a pick, save for the few thumb hits and slaps he does occasionally? Disqualifying someone just because they use a pick is crazy. Geezer Butler, on the very fast early Sabbath passages, would use a pick, too. Ronnie Lane of Faces and Small Faces also used a pick and was terrific, especially on Faces' records from 1970 to 1973. Saying no good bass players use a pick is like saying all songs should only have one or two chords. The rules in music are, there are no rules. Lol! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2011 9:24:47 PM PDT
erik brower says:
i did mean exclusively uses a pick.

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 9:33:17 PM PDT
bass boy says:
erik, it's cool. Still friends. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2011 9:36:31 PM PDT
erik brower says:
LOL!! Of course!! :)

Posted on Jul 28, 2011 1:19:43 AM PDT
Bernard J. says:
I think Pete Quaife from The Kinks to be an underrated bass player.
He often had a loud, booming, bass sound, it was not just a backing instrument.
I like his playing in songs like "Wicked Annabella" for example.

John Entwistle spoke highly of him in an interview.

Posted on Jul 28, 2011 6:00:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 28, 2011 7:22:34 AM PDT
I saw an interview with Chris Squire and when he plays with a pick he will sometimes do the harmonic thing like Billy Gibbons does on guitar. He has that harmonic going above the fundimental. I'd heard it but didn't know he used it as often as he did. Bill Laswell is one of my favorite player/composers. He's not so much a super technical player, but he plays what the song needs. To me that's more important than 64th notes out the wazoo. McCartney is the same way. He doesn't have roundwound super bright strings making his bass stand out. He just plays what the song needs. Gonna mention Percy Jones for his playing in Brand X. There is a funny interview with Chris on Youtube about when he met Jimi Hendrix. I'm guessing he was playing with Syn and Hendrix was rehearsing in the club, which NOBODY was allowed to do. From Squires description they were working on Purple Haze and Noel was screwing it up. Chris is sitting to the side of the stage thinking "No, these are the notes you idiot". Hendrix sat with Chris and said he played in a band and the bassist had a Rickenbacker. Chris was rather shocked as guitar players didn't really talk to bass players. I would have loved to have heard Chris with Hendrix. That would have been weird/amazing to say the least.

Posted on Jul 28, 2011 3:07:56 PM PDT
A. Vernon says:
Gotta show some lovin' for Dusty Hill of ZZ Top ... among the other greats mentioned.

Posted on Jul 28, 2011 3:13:35 PM PDT
B. Patel says:
Billy Sheehan - Mr. Big

Posted on Jul 28, 2011 3:26:31 PM PDT
Don says:
If you listen to the Five Live Yardbirds album, Paul Samwell-Smith can really build up a fervor. Or, as the Yardbirds called it, a Rave-up.

Also, if you consider Canned Heat a rock group, you can't leave out Larry Taylor, possibly my personal favorite. He's still doing what he's always done, but that IS Blues.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2011 8:30:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 28, 2011 8:30:58 PM PDT
bass boy says:
Hey Bernard,

There is a version of The Kinks' "You Really Got Me" that is on a European CD compilation from about 1989 called "Kinks Classic" (black and white cover with "The Kinks" in purple, I think) that has what sounds like Quaife's bass feeding back. It's a really low, buzzing rumble that can be heard when the guitars and bass stop (but Ray's vocals and Avory's drums continue). I think it's an alternate version of the song because I don't remember that bass feedback sound on other CD versions of that song. Anyway, if it is really bass feedback, then that jockeys against The Beatles' "I Feel Fine" as an early example of feedback on a rock/pop recording. :)

Posted on Jul 29, 2011 12:23:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 29, 2011 5:21:10 PM PDT
Bernard J. says:
bass boy
Interesting . I've heard of the album you mentioned but not the alternative You Really Got Me.
I always thought Quaife's bass playing to be underrated.
Like McCartney, his playing seemed to be upfront, not just the backing instrument that some players and producers preferred the bass guitar to be.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2011 5:35:54 AM PDT
Larry is still playing. I got the John Hammond jr CD that he did with Tom Waits and Larry is on that. He played with Mayall for a while too.

Posted on Jul 29, 2011 5:59:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 29, 2011 6:24:51 AM PDT
Glen Kepic says:
Agree about many of the bassists mentioned already, but a couple of guys i like who are both no longer with us are Greg Ridley from Humble Pie and Felix Pappalardi from Mountain. Greg was not only a solid bassist but also had a great sound. Felix,,,Bassist, Producer, Songwriter, Vocalist...even played a little guitar

Also like seeing 'props' given to Larry "The Mole" Taylor. I play Woodstock Two alot for the two Mountain trax there...after those is Woodstock Boogie by Canned Heat. Larry did a pretty cool solo on this that the crowd really dug.

Posted on Jul 29, 2011 6:05:51 AM PDT
Tom says:
1. John Entwhistle
2. Paul McCartney
3. Chris Squire

I know this will get me haters, but I am not a fan of Getty Lee or Rush

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2011 6:40:56 AM PDT
LEMMY KILMISTER!!!!!!!

I also think that Jean Jacques Burnell is worthy of a mention.

Posted on Jul 29, 2011 7:46:05 AM PDT
Gino says:
Some great players named, for sure. Just listened to some early Beatles over the last couple of days, and so I'm once more bowled over by all of McCartney's work. The lead
guitar experience really shows in nearly every line he plays. And the production of those early sides mixes him more to the front than some players on previous records. He just
always sounds so fast and so clean, and almost like a melody line of his own.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2011 8:09:52 AM PDT
Hi Glen. Woodstock II is the only place you can hear Larry Lee's guitar solos in the Hendrix set. They cut him out of the CD releases. There was an old triple Isle of Wight album that has Mountain playing Stormy Monday. I think the record was called Great Concerts of the Seventies or something like that. The Keeley finally showed up.

Posted on Jul 29, 2011 3:16:26 PM PDT
JP says:
A pro-bass player (don't remember who..Claypool? Wooten? somebody REALLY good anyway) once said "if you mostly use a pick you probably started on guitar and switched to bass, if you mostly use your fingers you probably grew up on the upright or cello".

But I DO remember that it was John Paul Jones who said "I use what I think the song needs". And, after watching hours of pro and bootleg videos of him, I began to notice that (when he still used Fenders) it seemed he used a pick with a Jazz Bass and his fingers with a P-bass. Not a 100% rule mind you....but gotta be more than a coincidence.

Entwistle was another who used both picks and fingers.

Another funny thing, I STILL have an old Circus Magazine where Ritchie Blackmore stated that he HATED bassists who played with their fingers, didn't like the sound, and would only hire bassists who used picks!! (early '82 issue, kept it because it announced Randy Rhoads' death AND announced the long awaited Sabbath live album (Live Evil of course) AND announced Maiden's "new" singer AND had Blackmore on the cover...yep, all in the same issue!)

hhhuummm....wonder what he thinks of the badass sound Claypool, Flea, Wooten, etc, etc, etc, etc get from using thier fingers?!?!?!?!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2011 5:44:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 29, 2011 5:45:56 PM PDT
Glen Kepic says:
I know, Rob,,,was thinking of the Hendrix side on the way home. Really like Jam Back At The House. I think this has the LL solo you were thinking of. Didn't know about him being cut out later. I have the Hendrix Woodstock cd, but haven't played it in a while (actually like Two alot).

I have a live version of Stormy Monday by Mountain on a 'Best Of' though i'm not sure which gig its from, but man,,,sure is a long jam. Thanx for the Isle rec.

Drop a line about the Java Boost in the guitar community when you get a chance. Glad the pedal finally arrived.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  127
Total posts:  225
Initial post:  Jul 15, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 11, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions