Customer Discussions > Music forum

Were You In The Audience For Any Concert (Any Genre) that Became a Live Album?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 74 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 17, 2011 5:48:40 AM PDT
Sometime in the late Seventies, the Chieftains performed their annual Symphony Hall (In Boston) concert, and I was in the audience---in the last row of the orchestra, if I remember accurately. A year or so later this concert was released as a live album. It was a mild buzz to play this album and realize I was there, and that I supplied an infinitesimally-minute portion of the audience ovation. A small buzz, but the memory does stimulate this thought---a lot of Amazon consumers must own live albums recorded at concerts they attended.

Let us hear about them! Who, when, where.

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 6:26:44 AM PDT
Val H. says:
Mid-1971 I was living in Edinburgh, Scotland and went to see The Corries. That show featured in the album "The Corries Live At The Royal Lyceum Theatre, Edinburgh" later that year. The vinyl album (which I bought, of course, and still have) is available here on Amazon's marketplace, and it is also available as a twofer on CD "Live at the Royal Lyceum Theatre/Sound the Pibroch". Still one of the finest, and most entertaining, folk groups ever - Roy Williamson is sadly missed.

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 7:45:26 AM PDT
Gino says:
When Bob Dylan and the Band toured, I saw them at the Spectrum in Philadelphia. Some of the tracks on Before the Flood were recorded during those shows. If you listen real
carefully, just at the end of Most Likely You'll Go Your Way, I'm the one yelling "Free Bird".

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2011 7:49:49 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 17, 2011 7:52:02 AM PDT
Stranger says:
Sure, lots of times. Marshall Tucker Band, in Long Island ,1981.
Allman Brothers Band An Evening with ...2nd Set, in 1994 at the Garden State Arts Center. Part of the H.O.R.D.E. Festival that year. In fact, ALL the Allmans concerts are released as live albums now.
My claim to fame is that I am on the cover (eyes blacked out) of Ted Nugent's "Intensities in Ten Cities".
Ted jumped into the crowd during a solo at Nassau Colisseum, just about landed on me, and the photo was taken.
That is my 15 seconds of fame.
Good question. I'd like to see some other responses.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2011 10:11:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 17, 2011 10:13:19 AM PDT
Paul McCartney - Good Evening New York City - I was at the Saturday Night Show which is the majority of the DVD (It Rained the other 2 nights throughout the shows). Best One I've ever seen.
The Who - The Vegas Job - Live at the MGM Grand in 1999. Paid $10 for the ticket.
AC/DC - Vet Memorial Aud. Columbus Oh 1978, Became a rare CD called AC/DC On Air.
Aerosmith - Vet Memorial Aud 1978 - Track Sight for Sore Eyes from that gig is on Live Bootleg.

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 10:23:57 AM PDT
Kind of.

When Ozzy/Motley Crue toured in '84(?), it was the Bark At The Moon/Shout At The Devil Tour. Ozzy's performance was recorded and played on MTV. I was at that show.

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 10:53:07 AM PDT
RICK RIEKERT says:
I made it to Lennon's One to One concert in August 1972 (still have a t-shirt somewhere) and Led Zeppelin in July of the following year at Madison Square Garden in New York City. Looking back, I was lucky to have caught those (and free of charge to boot), though I remember having trouble with my hearing for a couple of days after the Zeppelin concert.

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 2:34:32 PM PDT
Dave-65 says:
Well, sort of. I saw Jethro Tull twice in three nights at the LA Forum in '73. I later saw and have a bootleg from TMQ of the first night's show. First disc is Passion Play, Second has a long passage from Thick as a Brick, Cross Eyed Mary and something called The Bomb in the Dressing Room.

Gino- now that's funny. I've heard others yelling Freebird and Satairway to Heavan at concerts which did not feature either Skynard or Zep! Glad you're not the guy who yelled "Judas" at the London Dylan show!

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 2:43:38 PM PDT
I was at the Academy of Music in NY to see the Band, which later became their Rock of Ages LP. Also a couple of Dead shows which were released as part of Dicks Picks.

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 2:46:04 PM PDT
The video for Touch of Grey at Laguna Seca

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 2:54:12 PM PDT
MarcoVG4 says:
Little Feat @ George Washington University's Lisner Auditorium - during recording of "Waiting For Columbus"

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 6:23:58 PM PDT
I was at Pine Knob for the Peter Frampton concert the video was made from.

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 7:08:37 PM PDT
ED S. says:
Yep...Santa Monica Civic Auditorium, Santa Monica, Los Angeles, California, 1972
David Bowie- "Live, Santa Monica 1972"
I think it was a VHS/DVD also but out of print.

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 8:07:48 PM PDT
Yohann Tsiro says:
KISS ALIVE II @ the "Fabulous Forum" in Los Angeles. My first concert.

Also I was twice in the audience for rock shows that were filmed for movies. I was also in the audience during the concert sequence of "KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park" it was filmed at Magic Mountain and in the audience for Angel's concert sequence in the Jodie Foster movie "Foxes".

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 10:24:28 AM PDT
C. Kimbrough says:
I was in the audience for the filming of Oliver Stone's "The Doors"-all 3 days of the Miami concert scene in '90.

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 11:46:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 18, 2011 11:50:17 AM PDT
Note of trivia: Phil Collins, aged either 12 or 13, is somewhere in the audience at the concert that concludes "A Hard Day's Night". He said the director instructed the audience to cheer their brains out during the Beatles' performance (which, of course, was lip synched), but that the instruction was wholly unnecessary.

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 1:32:26 PM PDT
rpshea says:
March 7th 1970 show at the Fillmore East. Steve Miller opened, Miles Davis was next and that performance is on a "Live at the Fillmore East" album, then Neil Young and Crazy Horse closed and their performance is also on a "Live at the Fillmore East" album.A few months earlier I turned down tickets to see a new band called The Allman Brothers play at the same venue - that was recorded live too.....more recently, went to see Evan Dando at the Brattle Theater Cambridge and that was released as a live solo album.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2011 3:58:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 22, 2011 4:17:47 PM PDT
Two Tub Man says:
Bloodrock : Live At The International Amphitheater (1972)
Cheap Trick : Samurai Rock Band (Rockford, 1977. Oft - bootlegged radio broadcast)
Martin Mull : 60 Minutes To Kill (1977, PBS Soundstage Special, still waiting for the CD/DVD!)
Pezband : 30 Seconds Over Schaumburg EP (1978)
The Jam : Live At The Park West, Chicago (1980, bootlegged radio broadcast)
Blue Oyster Cult : A Long Day's Night (2002, Skyline Stage @ Navy Pier, Chicago)
Off Broadway: Live At FitzGerald's (2009, Live DVD of the final Off Broadway gig)
Drive By Truckers : Sometimes Late At Night EP (2010, "Everybody Needs Love", recorded in Madison, Wi.)

Posted on Aug 22, 2011 9:25:02 AM PDT
Cal Jam 2-March 1978-Aerosmith, Ted Nugent, Heart, Santana, Frank Marino etc.
Deep Purple at Irvine Meadows in 1987
Metallica at San Diego Sports Arena-1988

Posted on Aug 22, 2011 12:35:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 22, 2011 12:36:25 PM PDT
vivazappa says:
KISS Alive II-LA Fourm 1977
Iron Maiden-Long Beach Arena (double live record in the 80's)
A few tunes from Zappa's YCDTOSA records...Santa Monica Civic 1981

Posted on Aug 22, 2011 2:22:25 PM PDT
david bowie at the santa moncia civic in 1972

Posted on Aug 22, 2011 3:18:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 22, 2011 3:19:12 PM PDT
Chazzzbo says:
Cornerstone Festival 1999 - Five Iron Frenzy performance became an album (nice play on words in the title)

Proof That the Youth Are Revolting

the cool thing was, they had a table set up in the tent where you filled out your name, and everyone in attendance is listed under "Background Vocals By..."

Posted on Aug 22, 2011 3:29:58 PM PDT
David Bowie Live Tower Theater 1974.
Bee Gees Live One Night Only 1997.

Posted on Aug 22, 2011 4:21:47 PM PDT
doodah man says:
Looks like a few of us were at the Ziggy Stardust show at Santa Monica Civic in '72.

Beatles Hollywood Bowl, though the recording was compiled from both the '64 and '65 tours. I was at the '64 show, though I was young and it's vague.

Cal Jam 2, for what it's worth.

Joe Cocker's Mad Dogs & Englishmen Tour, San Bernardino Swing Auditorium from which "The Letter" was taken.

I'm still waiting for someone to say 'Woodstock'. Someone that went must still be alive....

Posted on Aug 22, 2011 5:20:20 PM PDT
No, but I was at the Knoxville, TN Opeth show that has photographs on their Wikipedia page.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  59
Total posts:  74
Initial post:  Aug 17, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 11, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions