Customer Discussions > Music forum

Is today's Music really that bad?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 668 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 1:33:34 PM PDT
Severin says:
Not to get too side-tracked but I have a great 6-CD set of soul music by Rhino that's now out of print. It's called "Can You Dig It? The '70s Soul Experience." It's pretty much chronological and you can hear the gospel, blues and Latin rhythms influencing the songs. But on the last couple of discs it starts to go disco and that's where it got derailed. The music got slicker and the steady beat omnipresent, no more changes. And it starts to happen around 1974.

The set also comes with "The Jive Glossary" so you can figure out what's being said.

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 1:39:16 PM PDT
@Donald J.Nelson: yes, I gotta totally agree that the point where the gritty soul/funk of the early 70s starts to get overly-slick and discofied was 1974. A few bands held out for a year or two past that, but 1974 is where it really starts in earnest. And rap was just around the corner...1973 really was the end of a certain era for both black and white music. No argument from me there. Although I would only insist that music did pick back up again at various points in later years.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 2:16:19 PM PDT
MiBoDoCa says:
I have that set. It is awesome. Also Beg, Scream & Shout!: The Big Ol' Box Of 60's Soul compliments it well. Both are essential!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 2:30:36 PM PDT
Severin says:
Excellent set! I'm listening to samples now on AllMusic. Every one of these artists, many forgotten, puts current wannabes to shame. These singers invested themselves in their songs. That's what makes them move you. Thanks for posting this. It's criminal that these fantastic sets go out of print.

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 6:25:17 PM PDT
B-Jak says:
I'm really tired of these threads that bemoan the loss of great music. That is a very limited / limiting point of view. Music is constantly evolving. Sometimes what's popular does suck, but it has nothing to do with the date and everything to do with "popular". It really isn't that hard to find truly amazing music, every bit as phenomenal than what happened in whatever decade you're stuck in, and even easier to find if you bother to climb out of the rut YOU are in.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 9:00:48 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
@Michael Topper:

Yeah, while we obviously share some of the same music, your take on 1984 (and probably the rest of the 80's) is quite different then mine.....then again, I seldom compare decades or years as some people seem to do naturally. (I defend them but seldom knock them....I haven't lived thru a "bad" year musically yet and that's like 57 years of serious listening. I mean, I only listed a small sample of 1984 and I surely see dozens there that excite me....still.

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 9:10:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 20, 2012 9:17:47 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
@Exile On My Street:

Wow, you're not going to let it go, huh. I mean, I was kidding about "George Jones is country soul although I do think he is quite soulfull in his own way. Our argument, if we have one, is not about George Jones. It's about 2 or 3 artists I happened to include in MY assessment of certain years and did NOT carefully exclude anything that anyone might not call "rock".

Call it rock....call it crap. I'd swear that in discussions like these, the people who lived those years don't remember those teen idols, those bubblegummers, etc. It was all heady rock with great guitarists and all originial, groundbreaking music, etc. I'll tell you what. If it truly was as bad in say, post 1973 for me as for you, I'd have gone to jazz exclusively many years ago. Then again, a lot of jazz fans would argue that it all ended when Coltrane died and that classical music ended with Beethoven and Mozart so you just can't win.

For those who feel that way, thank GOD for records, tapes, cd's and ipods. For me, I need only check my sources, day or night, to find some new artist who will deaden my need for a fix of the 1960's.

ed.

ps. Oh yeah, and the 60's were a pretty good decade, too. Sure, they didn't have REM or Husker Du or the Mats or Nick Cave or.....but along with all the crap out then, they had some good music, too. Hell, even Sullivan liked the Beatles.

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 9:14:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 20, 2012 10:02:11 PM PDT
@E.Dill: IMO the worst year *ever* for popular music would be 1985. I have lists of my top ten albums per year on rateyourmusic.com, going from 1965 to the present day, and 1985 is the only year for which I could only come up with eight entries. Usually I can easily list ten classic albums I love in a year, plus many runner-ups, but for 1985 I came up almost blank--the top five is good with "Hounds Of Love", "Psychocandy", "Around The World In A Day", "Songs From The Big Chair" and "Silvertone", then I have "The Wake" (IQ), "Meat Is Murder" and "New Day Rising"...then, nothing!

It could be that I have simply not explored the year deep enough. Could you give me one of your thorough lists for 1985, like the one for 1984, and I can see if there's anything there I haven't heard and might want to take a listen to? I really want to be able to add two more albums to that year to finish out the list!! I know there has to be something I've missed...I'd be interested in knowing what your very favorites from that year are. I realize that you like the decade more than I do, and that therefore I may not care for your favorites, but I'm sure there's gotta be something there I haven't heard, and might enjoy.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 9:28:59 PM PDT
I was absolutely going to let it go, but when I saw my name mentioned in one of your posts you know I HAD to comment. No, there is no argument...just a discussion, so I thank you for sharing your opinion. New music doesn't stink, its just not as great as it used to be. ;)

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 9:40:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 20, 2012 9:42:01 PM PDT
1985...hmmm..let me think....I don't think you are a Ramones fan but "Too Tough To Die" was a strong record, "Love" by The Cult, "Empire Burlesque" maybe? And the greatest record of the year..."Theater of Pain" by Motley Crue! Haha...Oh wait, KISS released the classic "Asylum" in 1985..LOL

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 9:46:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 20, 2012 9:46:39 PM PDT
@Exile: not much of a Ramones fan, no. They're mildly amusing and enjoyable, but their entire catalog is really just the exact same song done 200 ever-so-slightly different ways. It's kind of maddening. I almost think of them more as a novelty act, rather than the Great Godfathers Of The Rock Revolution or whatever they're touted as these days.

Even Kiss were better in the 70s than they were in the 80s, LOL.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 9:55:27 PM PDT
There's a lot of repetition in the Ramones, no question, but for some strange reason, I enjoy it. If you do ever decide to pick one up, I would suggest Rocket to Russia or the debut. Yes, they can be repetitive but those two boasted some irresistable melodies...like the Beach Boys on speed.

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 9:59:27 PM PDT
@Exile: I have heard those albums. I don't think I've heard the '85 one, though...but do I really want to, is the question...I may end up enjoying it slightly, but there's so many more albums I need to hear first...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 10:06:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 20, 2012 10:07:38 PM PDT
Oh, I understand, trust me..I see it as entertaining, mindless fun, but I can certainly hear what other people are hearing that don't like them.

When we're done dissecting the Byrds, who are we going to do next? We're nearing the end over there. Maybe the Airplane?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 10:20:18 PM PDT
@Michael Topper,

I can't imagine you would have overlooked it, so I'm guessing you just rejected it as a candidate, but for me, by far my favorite album of 1985 was the long-awaited comeback of John Fogerty with "Centerfield" in January after a nearly decade long hiatus. Considered his best post-Creedence album, he played all instruments and it spawned three hits including the title cut which is now a classic played at stadiums everywhere. Certainly one of the most significant albums of that year!

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 10:58:03 PM PDT
@Exile: The Airplane would be nice. I had a thread on the classic rock forum where I reviewed and dissected every single Airplane concert that was available on audio, from official releases to boots...I got as far as late '69 before I finally petered out...but I still have to finish that one! LOL

@Cyberian Husky: I think "Centerfield" is OK but it just sounds like a CCR copy to me, with 80sish production. And if there's any #1 culprit that I think ruins 80s albums for me, even good ones, it's that Big 80s sound. I mean, it's still an OK album, but it's not something I would consider for a top ten list for that year.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 11:18:37 PM PDT
Did you hear? Pika-chu just got signed!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 11:41:20 PM PDT
...with only so many notes.

There are (basically)12 notes in the Western diatonic music system. Even without considereding any of the elements of music: melody, harmony, rhythm, strictly mathematically speaking, the number of combinations available is designated by the expression "12!" Yes, an exclamation point is actually a symbol in mathematics. You can obtain the number by muliplying 1x2x3x4x5x6x7x8x9x10x11x12 Here's probably a better example: do you think there will ever be a time when someone could not write a new story? The number of stories that can be written IMO are infinate. There are 26 letters in the English language; you could actually take out a couple, as q makes the kw sound, and c makes either the k or s sound. But even with only half the letters, i think the number or stories that could be written would still be infinate.

Perhaps this is best. Computers operate on a binary system, or only two "letters". Even DNA, the genetic coding for all life, has only 4 "letters"; and they are not "independent", by that i mean that they exist only as two pairs.

I think there are still a few more songs out there, maybe even one or two four-hour-long operas.

Here's a relevant joke:
person 1: i have heard that if you were to sit a monkey at a computer for infinity, it would eventually produce the entire works of Shakespeare.
person 2: i heard that one already had

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 11:46:20 PM PDT
Gregg Allman's tips have split ends. All is lost.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 11:49:14 PM PDT
Come on, not even "Wish you were here"?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2012 7:40:55 AM PDT
barbW says:
Do you think rap is the predictable reaction to the dead end we've come to? People say, all the note sequences have been used up - in the simple musical forms.

Who's that older Black critic of rap music? He makes the point that jazz of the past was a higher art than most all of rock, what happened to Black music? Simplistic, repetitive, vulgar, unbearably predictable and uninspiring as art, compared to what the Black jazz masters were creating.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2012 7:42:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 21, 2012 7:47:49 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
@Michael Topper:

<<Could you give me one of your thorough lists for 1985, like the one for 1984, and I can see if there's anything there I haven't heard and might want to take a listen to?>>

If you frequent rateyourmusic.com, you should know that I use them often for my lists....I simply pick and choose the ones I remember liking. I've been told by some of my fans that using someone else's list to make my own list is cheating. Considering rym usually lists their BEST 1000 for a given year, I consider it kind of a "clearing house" to pick from. Just to give you my dilemma with such things, I quickly scanned their first 100 for 1985 and eliminated 53 from consideration. I also went to their 901-1000 picks and found a dozen or more experimental/avant/weird groups I was completely unaware of that made me wonder if I have a CLUE yet about the "real" 1985.

The first thing I thought of in my quick assessment of 1985 is that Hounds of Love may not make my Top Ten for the year. That says something to me about MY assessment of the year because I think HOL is a stellar album. Maybe I'm in a different mood after listening to cuts from bands in the mire of those bottom feeders, groups like: Motor Totemist Guild, Aburadako, Nekropolis, Don King (?), NON, Organum, Caroliner, Twice a Man, In Spe, German Shepherd, Lip Cream, etc. I wondered if I HAD their work would THEY be in consideration for a top spot. And the more traditional sounding groups at the bottom like George Clinton, Dr. Feelgood, The Windbreakers, Sun Ra, The Lazy Cowgirls, Deep Freeze Mice, Phillip Boa & The Voodooclub, Nik Sudden, Rosemary's Baby, Grapes of Wrath, etc.

I'm guessing that "Psychocandy" and "New Day Rising" would make my Top 10 for 1985. The others you mentioned are contenders. As I recall, as much as I like The Smiths, "Meat is Murder" was a bit disappointing to me at the time. (Great music makes us more apt to be overly critical of a group's entire catalog. As I recall, The Beatles (Let It Be), Dylan and Neil Young got some of it and probably deserved it).

I'm sure Waits, the Mats, Husker Du, maybe Sonic Youth, Meat Puppets....I don't want to make this a project or suggest my tastes are worth anything but to me but I'll come up with MY Top 10 or 20 or 50 for 1985 sometime today. (Hounds WILL make my Top 50, if not my Top 10/20.

ed

ps. BTW, in checking out some of those obscurities (to me anyway), I found that one of the members of the band German Shepherds had been charged with sexually molesting a young boy and committed suicide before trial. They released their next album, "Music for Sick Queers" without him. Sometimes investigating the underbelly of music can be rather unsavory or just plain sad.

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 7:47:24 AM PDT
Visa says:
yes actually after the 80's music began to become worse

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2012 7:48:17 AM PDT
B L T says:
"Wish You Were Here" is a great album. I was just saying, it was harder for me to find 'great rock' after 73, not impossible.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2012 7:51:00 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
<<yes actually after the 80's music began to become worse>>

And another decade heard from....
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  85
Total posts:  668
Initial post:  Oct 19, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions