Customer Discussions > Music forum

The Beatles : American Music and The British Invasion

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:12:52 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Lawrence:
although i understand what you are saying, and completely respect your opinion and right to stay home and listen to cds/albums, rather than go see someone 'live', i do think that for myself, anyway, there is a certain 'energy exchange' you get between yourself and the performer, and between the audience and you, and the performer, that you do not get, unless you see them in person. just mo.... i will often choose to not go, if it is someone i feel so/so about, but if it is a great band/performer, especially one of the 'heavy weights', and they are also getting on in years (so who knows how much longer they will be performing, or be able to perform?), i do go see them 'live'...again, just a personal decision....
love,
joyce :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:13:36 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Bernard:
thanks for the 'list'! i will go back, and 're-listen'!!!! :)
love,

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:14:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 11:40:08 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Eddie:
Bernard is also one of my 'heros', as are you, yourself another....... :)
(you are both awesome!)
love,

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:16:45 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Mitch:
i disagree...they were different, and special/unique...not that other bands were not great also, but i truly do NOT believe it was purely a 'right place at the right time' situation....i really don't.
(that's fine, though....if you feel that way...just saying.... :)
love,

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:23:14 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Steelers Fan, Mitch, and All:
i do think that the timing was good, as there was a 'vacuum' within music, that needed filling in, but i still think it was NOT just that....i think it was the combination of what each one of them brought to the table, as a group, coming together as an entity, and creating a sort of magic....the sum of all of their parts was much greater than each individual person involved, and they broke a lot of rules/opened music up, which was sorely lacking/needed....i believe it was their fate to do so....no one else could have done it exactly that way...NOT to say there were not any other talented/great groups, or individuals out there...we all know there were; otherwise there would not be all of these 'lists' of greats being posted here.....
mo...so, there it is.... :)
love,
p.s., i need Pete to explain what i am trying to get at here, and just to BE HERE, PERIOD!!!! dearest Pete, i hope you are safe! come back soon!! I miss you, love you, and i also NEED you to 'translate'!!! :)

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 11:23:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 11:28:49 AM PST
rokroller says:
To say that " The Beatles were in the right place at the right time and marketed brilliantly. If it wasn't them, it would have happened with a different band" is, imo, a very disingenuous statement. While it is accurate in it's premise; timing, marketing, etc. and certainly at some point some one from across "the pond" would have eventually opened the door for more British bands to come here...it is doubtful that any of them would have gone on to have the social impact that The Beatles had on an entire generation and indeed an entire decade.

ps...and they are still having an impact today!

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 11:23:38 AM PST
Hey Joyce, Fairport Convention is a British electric folk group. They have a long and rich history. They were among the first if not the very first group to take old english ballads, folklore and poetry and apply to electric music. The first album was a psychedelic album with lead singer Judy Dyble. They covered some American songwriters like Joni Mitchell. It is a great album! 1968 (I think). They made the landmark album Leige And Leif with new vocalist Sandy Denny. It was Sandy who brought in the traditional ballads. Sandy was responsible for the great number Who Knows Where The Time Goes which was popular by Judy Collins. Sandy died tragically young. Also from Fairport is the great Richard Thompson who continues to make fine music. Thompson is a first rate guitar player! Ian Matthews who later had a hit with Woodstock as The Matthews Southern Comfort Band also came from Fairport. There have been far too many names in and out of the band over the years to list bt various lineups have produced various styles and results. There are great jams, jigs and violins associated with the group. I highly recommend the albums I mentioned along with What We Did On Our Holiday, Unhalfbricking, Full House and Red And Gold. There is much much more I could say about this great group but that's a brief introduction to to reply to your request. Happy listening!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:25:10 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dearest Eddie:
do you mean this one?
http://youtu.be/KUBSZJCASdQ
(you've just got to love me, till the sun shines....... :)
i love it! :)
love,

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:29:20 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Joe:
yes, he did...i believe he meant that at the time, he just had himself, and learned that he couldn't find 'the answers' outside of himself...there ain't no guru who can see thru your eyes.....i....i found out....i...i found this out......('I found Out', John Lennon)...'feel your own pain'....a GREAT song...outstanding lyrics that are 'right on'!!!
btw, awesome lists! thanks for posting!
love,

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:30:06 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dear John:
all awesome!!!! (as are you, btw!)
:)
love,

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:31:27 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Lawrence:
again, all awesome (likewise, with you too! :)
love,
(to me, once you get going, you find out GREAT artists are too numerous to list them all!)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:32:14 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dearest Daniel:
hey, darlin'!!! LONG TIME NO HEAR!!!! hope you are well! welcome back..... :)
love,

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:34:08 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Don:
i like her too, but not quite as much as some of the others, but i do like her!
(i believe she was Mick's true love, but he had to cut her loose, or get dragged down the same dark hole, which he would never allow himself to do....such a shame....they were pretty evenly matched, imo! she was just way more self destructive....)
love,

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:34:46 AM PST
H&L says:
Joyce, I am not totally against live shows and I feel an artist can develope in an artistic way by sharpening up their live chops. For me it is the writing and recording process that I find more interesting and is the process of producing the work you will someday see live. One of my favorate bands U2 produce good later day studio albums but I feel they do these big tours and not enought time making their later studio albums as good as they could be. For me it is good and fun to see a live show now and then but I get more excited when an artist is working in the studio and always look forward to the results. I am glad you enjoy the live shows. If I was an artist I would dread touring, all I would really like to do is stay in the studio and create music. I would think that I would have to drag equipment and crew across the country to perform what I created in the studio.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:35:48 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Cyberian Husky:
yes, you are absolutely right...i am just saying, is it the 'strict definition' of 'british invasion', which would be the people you listed, or is it the broader sense of 'british bands' and 'american bands'?
love,

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:36:12 AM PST
H&L says:
Very True.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:38:31 AM PST
Eddie H. says:
Joyce...Lol....When you sit down and look at Bowie's body of work, it is up there with all the greatest....I love his later albums like Hours, Heathen and Reality also...for me the scope of his music, weaving in and out of styles with ease...Ziggy, Young Americans etc...he is simply in a league with a special few!

Eddie
PS-The LOL is for your Doors comment!
PSS-I am glad you are here...

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 11:40:40 AM PST
My 10 favorite female performers or groups frpm the 60's.

Bonnie Raitt
Shang Ra Las
Ronettes
Tina Turner
Janis Joplin
Grace Slick
Shirelles
Joan Baez
Wanda Jackson
Brenda Lee

John

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:42:24 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Rokroller:
thanks, darling! YES, that is what i was struggling to say!!! i really wish i could 'talk'!!! lol!!!
love,

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:43:24 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Stephen:
thanks so much for all the great info re: Fairport Convention!!! I will definitely check it out!!!
love,

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:44:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 11:44:47 AM PST
Eddie H. says:
Joyce...That's the one...we know, (and so do many others...when Dave Davies is on he is a terrific songwriter in his own right!) His contrubution to Something Else by The Kinks can't be understated, Funny Face, Love Me Til The Sunshines and Death of a Clown are magnificiant!

Eddie

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:44:39 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Lawrence:
no problem....i do understand what you mean!! :)
love,

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:46:30 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Eddie:
'you've just got to love me, till the sun shines.......'
(did you get it? :) (was that the right one?)
love,

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:47:20 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dear John:
yet another 'great' list!!!!! thanks! :) :)
love,

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 11:48:05 AM PST
rokroller says:
http://britishinvasionbands.com/the-bands/
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  49
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Nov 6, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 24, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions