Customer Discussions > Music forum

Kinks Dave or Ray?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 89 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 6, 2012 6:16:14 AM PDT
Geezerguy says:
Geezerguy says:
I own all of the Kinks albums and love them, but when it comes to the solo stuff I'm all Dave. Dave's Live At the Bottom Line is a fantastic live album. Both the domestic and import versions of Unfinished Business show what a creative musician he is as well as how integral he was to the Kinks' success. His signature guitar licks are etched in the minds of all rock fans over the age of 50. So... what's it gonna be, Dave or Ray?

Posted on May 6, 2012 6:52:34 AM PDT
Rare Goat says:
I'm a big Kinks fan too, but I've never really gotten into Dave's or Ray's solo stuff. Dave probably had more chance to shine on his solo albums since his song ideas were usually pushed aside on Kinks albums, so he had more to say outside of the Kinks. Dave's "Chosen People" is a pretty neat album, a concept album I think, with a spiritual bent.

Posted on May 6, 2012 7:10:17 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 6, 2012 7:22:01 AM PDT]

Posted on May 6, 2012 6:00:10 PM PDT
Hinch says:
I own a couple of Ray's solo albums and they're ok....nothing great imo. I own none of Dave's solo material. I believe neither one is as good solo as The Kinks were together.

Posted on May 6, 2012 6:32:49 PM PDT
Ray and Dave ought to both grow up, put aside their differences and reunite the band where they both expressed their talents in the best fashion.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 6:46:16 PM PDT
Hinch says:
>Ray and Dave ought to both grow up, put aside their differences<

Now there's an idea whose time has come!

Posted on May 7, 2012 6:10:29 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
Uh...really really dumb question...RAY!

Posted on May 7, 2012 6:44:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 14, 2013 6:09:47 AM PDT
Eddie H. says:
Ray wins with an asterisk....i am one of those people who finds Dave to be one of the greats..his songwriting is understated because Ray is one of the greatest songwriters ever...but in his own right his songwriting is tremendous and must be looked at, he will never be Ray BUT every song he has written for the Kinks are outstanding from the witty Groovy Movies to the 3 great songs he wrote for Something Else...listen to the song list and hear his greatness;
-Funny Face
-Love Me Til The Sunshines
-Dearh of a Clown
-Strangers
-Rats
-You Don't Know my Name
-Trust your Heart(this song is so great)
-Rock and Roll Cities
-Dear Margarete
-The Man He Weeps Tonight
and the few others he wrote for the Kinks
---Check out the following outstanding
albums....Hidden Treasure,THE UPC CODE,Chosen People and Bug

Last but not least, arguably the most influencial and most copied guitarist in rock... he created/invented so many rifts that were ripped off by so many artists it's amazing, and last some of the best solo's in the history of rock(check out I'm Not Like everbody else live from To The Bone for a taste....just a tip of the iceberg with solos..
honerable mention...listen to some of his vocal harmony(Waterloo Sunset which has as great a harmony vocal as any record in the past 50 years)

So to sumarise..Ray wins because, like Brian Wilson, Ray is one of the all-time greats but Dave is an amazing talent and one of my favorites

Posted on May 7, 2012 6:51:37 AM PDT
Rare Goat says:
I don't think the Kinks need bother getting back together. They'd been running on empty for years by the time they stopped putting albums out, so I can't imagine any new material would be that great. The live "To the Bone" is a nice revisiting of the old classic material, so we already have that, and I don't see any need to "do it again" (ha!).

Posted on May 7, 2012 7:01:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 7, 2012 7:03:44 AM PDT
Eddie H. says:
Please read the lyical depth of this Dave Davies written song, (his vocals are great also and the melody is tremendous)
This Man He Weeps Tonight
Written by: Dave Davies

Lyrics:

I wish that you could see
All the things that I have seen.
This mind of mine is making life worthwhile.
I wish that you'd have know
Of all the plans I had in store for us,
Laughing, dancing, traveling the world on our own.

And this man, he weeps tonight,
And his head is bowed with sorrow,
But what can you do, sitting there,
And you let him cry tomorrow,
Yes, you'll let him cry tomorrow.

I thought our thing would last,
'Cause it said so in my horoscope,
The days have gone and past while dreaming away.
The lighting here is dim,
And the room closes in around me.
Your picture's hanging loose on a rusting nail.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 7:08:30 AM PDT
Eddie H. says:
Rare Goat....Check out their post Kinks solo albums(both Ray and Dave), their is plenty in their tank...
-Other People Lives
-Working Man's Cafe
-Bug
-The UPC code
-Chosen People

Ed

Posted on May 7, 2012 12:03:09 PM PDT
crater face says:
Kinks? Having read their autobiographies, I would say Dave had more kinks.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 12:58:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 7, 2012 1:01:03 PM PDT
Eddie H. says:
Rare Goat....IMHO...Phobia is a tremendous album that should have had a better fate....it has some great Ray Davies songs and great music.....listen again...
(BTW), The Kinks have never embarrassed themselves, EVER on record...Even when the material was not up to Ray's usual high standards, it was still at least very good!

Posted on May 9, 2012 7:54:57 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
PHOBIA is very underrated!

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 11:54:50 AM PST
PHOBIA will grow on you with repeated listens, very good record that one is.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 12:00:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 12:00:51 PM PST
zlh67 says:
I hope so! I just picked that up, along with "The Road" and "Think Visual". Other than UK Jive, I kinda checked out on the Kinks after Word of Mouth, but I found all 3 of these cd's used in one place and priced pretty cheap, so what the heck. So far have been listening more to The Road which is a suprisingly good (to me) live album. It's no "One For The Road," but still solid listening for latter-era Kinks live.

As to Ray vs Dave, that's a no-brainer to me: Dave adds a lot with his songs, singing and of course guitar playing and the Kinks would never have been the same without him, but.... without Ray, I'm not sure we'd ever have heard of Dave Davies.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 12:05:57 PM PST
Good point. Ray was the catalyst.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 1:07:32 PM PST
Mike B. says:
Anyone doubting Dave's importance (as I once did) should check out his solo performance "Rock Bottom: Live At The Bottom Line". Truly great, and helped me to understand that I'd been under-valuing him over the years. Without him it's possible The Kinks would've never achieved the energy level they did, and might have become mired earlier on in Ray's music hall fixations - thereby never reaching the level of acclaim and success they had. Dave was more committed to rock than his brother, but together they were a one-two punch (sometimes literally!) resulting in one of the best groups ever.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 1:51:51 PM PST
MiBoDoCa says:
I agree with everything Eddie says. Nothing needs to be added.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 1:53:16 PM PST
MiBoDoCa says:
You forgot UK Jive and Phobia.

I listened to Stand Up Comic the other day. I forgot how great a song it was.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 2:09:47 PM PST
Thanks to this discussion i put Bug in my cart. Previewed it. Sounds real cool. Thanks everyone.

Dave is way underrated. His guitar playing is amazing. Just the slash n burn riff man. Love his style of playing a lot.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 4:24:40 PM PST
Depends on if you mean songwriting or instrumental prowess. Dave has written some great songs in his day, but c'mon, Ray is the greatest rock songwriter who ever lived, end of story. Dave was the better guitar player, though--iconic stuff in the early days. For all my Kinks fandom, however, I don't think I've heard a solo album by either of them. I heard a few tracks off of a recent Ray album and didn't care for them much.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 4:16:44 AM PST
I thought "Morphine Song" from 'Working Man's Cafe' to be a terrific song. One of his finest.
Recommended if you haven't heard it.

Posted on May 11, 2013 8:59:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 11, 2013 9:00:42 AM PDT
Hinch says:
Dave has a new cd coming out soon.

I Will Be Me

Interesting title. I may give it a chance.

I said in an earlier post, I don't own any Dave albums. I don't know what I was thinking. I actually do own AFL1-3603 on vinyl, but I don't remember it being very good. I forgot ab out it, so that may say a lot. lol!

I've seen The Kinks 3 times. Dave no doubt is a great and underrated guitar player, and his harmony vocals added a lot to The Kinks' sound. It would be great if they could reunite.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2013 9:11:21 AM PDT
I always thought 'Bernadette' to be Ray song, sung by Dave, but I'll have to check.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  89
Initial post:  May 6, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions