Customer Discussions > Music forum

Name 5 Karaoke songs that should be outlawed.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 27, 2012 10:53:33 PM PDT
When you go to a bar that features Karaoke what are 5 songs that are over sang or you just cringe when people sing them. I will start it off.

1. Black Velvet - Alannah Myles
2. What's Up - 4 Non Blondes
3. Love Shack - B52's
4. New York, New York - Frank Sinatra
5. Piano Man - Billy Joel

Honorable mentions...

1. Evanescence - Bring Me to Life (Always some woman singing flat with some guy screaming his part obnoxiously and drunkenly)
2. Paradise by the Dashboard Light - Meatloaf
3.You're The One That I Want - John Travolta & Olivia Newton John

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 7:05:43 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
Any tune that is also sung on American Idol...

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 7:22:14 AM PDT
D. Mok says:
Karaoke isn't about competence. It's about having fun. You can't expect all the singers to sound great or make good, knowledgeable choices; it's not an open mic. I've played songs live, songs that are mangled regularly at karaoke: "My Way", "Bohemian Rhapsody", "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'", "Two out of Three Ain't Bad", "Lady Marmalade". Except my voice can usually handle it. But if the singers and the patrons are having fun, who cares?

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 9:59:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 28, 2012 10:02:31 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
I've actally done it twice:

I did Alice's "Raped and Freezing" on a cruise...dead drunk...I can't sing at all but I do a mean impression of The Coop...the youngsters loved it...the old people walked out...it was the last tune of the night anyway.

I did the Carpenters "Close to You" in a pizza place with lots of families...almost dead drunk...sang in my best punk voice:
"Why do birds fall out of the (bleep)ing sky"
They pulled the plug...I asked for my dollar back (which is what they charged per song) because they wouldn't let me finish the song.
They gave it back!
They kicked me out :(
We laughed ourselves silly on the drive back home!

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 3:22:38 PM PDT
I don't know about karaoke singing.....It's all in fun. BUT.....in my opinion,...
Very very few should ever sing "The Star-Spangled Banner". Most mangle
it badly. It's a song that should probably remain an instrumental. I'm not
saying that there are NO singers who can do a decent job, but few have
the wide vocal range that the song requires. Just my thoughts.

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 3:41:17 PM PDT
Auntie Lynn says:
Best Star Spangled singers were Lou Rawls and Tennessee Ernie Ford. Outlaw "My Way" and "Memories.." for starters. More later...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 7:03:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2012 7:05:28 PM PDT
I lived in Japan from 1991-1993 and Karaoke was real popular in many bars in the city I lived in and I don't want the sport to be outlawed bcause it was some of funniest nonsense that a drunk person got to witness in that country.

1. Take Me Home (Country Roads) ~ John Denver...Many a wasted businessman would attempt "Almost Heaven, West Virginia" and would go on to destroy this one and it was no-doubt the song I heard more than any other and it was so bad it was great.

2. "My Way" ~ Frank Sinatra...Drunk US Sailors and Marines would warble this one and lay waste to the lyrics as they wanted to hurt ol' blue eyes with awful renditions of this classic Sinatra ballad. This would make rats leave the buildings in horror.

3. "Hey Jude" ~ The Beatles...I knew of a bar in Yokohama where the ending ("Na-Na-Na-Na") of Hey Jude was extended to almost eight minutes in length and some would give up or faint as it was a major battle to keep going to the end of this. Cruel joke? Perhaps, but it was a hoot to watch drunks huffin' & puffin' and wondering if it was gonna ever end.

4. "YMCA" ~ Village People...This one made a statement as one, two or even five or so knuckleheads would crowd small stages jumping around and trying to spell with flying arms.....UUUGH!

5. "Smoke On The Water" ~ Deep Purple...As DP were gods in Japan it was fun to watch the locals play horrible air-guitar and attempt a scream that would make Ian flee in terror. You would laugh until you cried!

That's my five and I blame my drinking problem on Karaoke!

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 6:34:21 AM PDT
fpr says:
"Don't Stop Believing" is usually sung by two drunken girls who always commit their social suicide. "What A Wonderful World" sung by the fat, bald and goateed white man with the Kermit The Frog voice (after he comes back inside the bar from having a cigarette). Scary. Finally, "Sweet Caroline"! Let's face it, the song by Neil is pure guilty pleasure! When sung by a group of tipsy friends who insist upon shouting those silly Fenway Park additions, it's pure vomit inducing!

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 10:13:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2012 10:13:46 AM PDT
S. Stalcup says:
I've only one entry: "The Joker" by The Steve Miller Band. I still have nightmares from prom night hearing the popular creep females mewling away at it. Sounded like someone running a cat through a cheese grater backside first.

Shame too. He's a fine guitarist.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 11:18:26 AM PDT
Johnny Bee says:
Karaoke per se should be outlawed ;-).
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Jun 27, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions