Customer Discussions > Music forum

Was Magical Mystery Tour the Beatles red-headed stepchild?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 118 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 6, 2013 11:34:22 PM PDT
A. Strong says:
The movie isn't very good but the album is one of the better things that The Beatles released. Strawberry Fields Forever, is my favorite Beatles song and it's one this record.
You cannot find fault with the music as The Beatles were on top of their game it this point in time.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 5:21:31 PM PST
R. Myers says:
Sadly, yes, MMT is the Beatles red headed step child.The film, I mean, not the album. My brother and I watched it on PBS last week and we are two of the biggest Beatles fans ever. Still, it was tough to take. Maybe tripping would've helped get us in the mood. It might have made some kind of sense then. As it is it's just them having fun with no real point to anything. Lots of weird imagery that may have seemed like symbolism but probably means nothing. Like the midget wrestlers. wtf? The remastered MMT CD sounds beautiful, much better than any copy of the vinyl I ever owned. The great songs make up for the bad film.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 1:34:38 PM PST
vivazappa says:
I enjoyed MMT on PBS last week...strange as hell...Pythonish silly humor at times...sort of a long bunch of music videos...and Ringo cracked me up!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:05:29 AM PST
I would have left off "Should" and put on the long version of "Flying" which flows nicely into "Blue". More psychedelic that way and less sappy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yTY__PKLDQ

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 9:41:36 PM PST
Donald, I was about to give my opinion on this topic, but you did it for me.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 9:16:57 PM PST
A customer says:
It was better than Sgt. Pepper's...

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 1:27:52 PM PST
Gina says:
The second side had some of their best singles and B-sides! Sure the EP itself is pretty mediocre, but the second side makes it a great album.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 1:02:11 PM PST
Dr. Mikey says:
Hinch, it's better than getting poked in the eye with a sharp stick.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 11:56:55 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 15, 2012 11:59:36 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 8:18:47 AM PST
why it not be the beatles of magical tour i can't imagine.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 11:25:56 PM PST
Hinch says:
Dr Mikey

Yeah. There is one unedited outtake.

:-)

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 11:09:54 PM PST
Dr. Mikey says:
Hinch,
At least we get the scene in the "Meet The Supporting Cast" extra on the DVD. I suppose it was too hot for BBC on Boxing Day 1967.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 10:33:55 PM PST
Hinch says:
I just wish they hadn't permanently censored the stripper scene.

:-)

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 10:01:06 PM PST
"Death Cab For Cutie" is classic Bonzo Dog Band all the way but, poor Neil looks a fright today!

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 9:16:42 PM PST
Severin says:
I watched the "Magical Mystery Tour" film again tonight on PBS. It's not that bad but the thought occurred to me that they could have released the entire soundtrack. That would include the string version of 'All My Loving', accordion music, singalongs and the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band. So for those who don't like the current album, it could have been worse.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 11:05:31 AM PST
KING CONAN says:
The worst album is admitted by the
record company, But with Outakes as
a theme, People think a "hidden gem"
is waiting.
Maybe the real Elvis Fan's were in Liverpool,
The outakes of the "Let It Be" sessions
include "Don't Be Cruel".

People got what they paid for, As they did
when they bought "The Lost E-Street Band Songs".
(this does not count as it was greed driven
by the record company, not The Beatles)

If you must have it, The album is on E-Bay
today for $18.99 + $4.00 S&H
"Codename Russia"

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 3:35:12 PM PST
barbW says:
Thanks Donald,
"Their initial exposure to music was family singalongs, pirate radio stations and/or records imported from America. Later would come the rock 'n' roll movies. I think the biggest motivator that changed them from listeners to performers was the skiffle craze. It showed them that you didn't need a lot of money or training, just grab a washboard or make a tea-chest bass. John Lennon was able to learn from his mother who played the banjo. Paul McCartney's father played trumpet in a band in his younger years, he played piano at home."

You think they got that confident and competent in their playing because of those exposures? No, I think they sat for long hours alone and THEN with like-minded friends, and then practiced a lot when they wanted to break into the business. Otherwise we get a false picture of how musicians become proficient. That early spark is what sets off the sequence.

But, the Beatles were an example of what's been written about, while the members of other bands had similar 'opportunities', I assume. I just think that this type of history and these exposures are occurring much less often today, and as a result we might get the rare very impressive musician, BUT we won't get the whole package, which developed into the famous writing teams of the top selling bands (Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Doors, Beach Boys on and on). And one consequence of this is, the writing will be done by other songwriters who don't have the experience of being in the bands, all along the way. I think this results in a very different type of songs, and less interesting, less varied. All the things we complain about..

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 2:45:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 7, 2012 3:02:33 PM PST
KING CONAN says:
Son,

You do realize she has her book
for free on a PDF download.
(so much for hawking, son)

Working for the White House Dept
of Education, would seem like a logical
reason for writing about education.

Your janitor comparison makes no sense.

Here is Charlotte's version of the Reagan years:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=
sDZAKyTsCcM

Remember ...Bush 1 pushed Goals 2000

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 2:30:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 7, 2012 2:34:28 PM PST
Charlotte Thomson Iserbyt:

A crank, vanity self-published, fence posts writing positive reviews, a garage full of self-financed books hawking them here. Fired by the Reagan administration 'cause she's batty. Like Mark from Michigan, a janitor, researching black helicopters. Weirdo with an agenda.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 2:10:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 7, 2012 2:20:01 PM PST
KING CONAN says:
Son,

So you think she has had only
43 Books sold, And why would
you care who published it for her?

She and John Taylor Gatto were
two of the top speakers in the battle
against Outcome Based Education.

Dumbing Us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling, 10th Anniversary Edition

PS: Vanity is not possible when exposing
what your Father and Grandfather
were involved in. She studied the papers
they left behind after they died.
Here is what she discovered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=
29QV_GNMt3Q

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 12:51:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 7, 2012 1:29:46 PM PST
What part of private press/vanity project don't you understand? The author and "Conscience Press" have no other projects. Just like Meade's recordings being loaded floor to ceiling in his garage. No retail distribution, no publishing company. Wackjob with an agenda who was fired by the Reagan administration in '82.

Here's her seller account. Has had 43 sales, total. Eagle Forum here in Osmonia (Gayle Ruzicka trolls the LDS ward chapels' bishops' offices for her membership/voter lists) references it. Big move here to privatize schools so the business folks can skim public funding.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aag/main/ref=olp_merch_name_5?ie=UTF8&asin=0966707117&isAmazonFulfilled=0&seller=A150OCLKQ7VU7P

Note: no other titles available. Nothing else published by "Conscience Press." One pony act.

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 9:34:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 7, 2012 11:54:06 AM PST
KING CONAN says:
Just listened to George Harrison's first
Darkhorse Release of the group
"Splinter", It sounds Beatlesque with
Ozark Mtn Daredevil main theme.

Overall pleasant with a bonus, the beginning
of "Somebody's City", sounds like an old
musical friend.
(Only available on Vinyl, Their 1st is their best and you can get a decent album
for $20 and under on Ebay)

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 6:25:26 AM PST
KING CONAN says:
This morning on American Masters
a PBS Series, John Lennon is being
disected and shown as a mixed up
drunk without Yoko.

Yoko was his drug and his saving grace.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 4:04:55 AM PST
KING CONAN says:
I know it is hard to ask you to be
specific, Instead of the term one
of those wacko type books.

I would suggest Smedley Butler's
observations.
War Is A Racket

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2012 7:03:51 PM PST
He references one of those THE ILLUMINATI ARE OUT TO GET US NEW WORLD ORDER private/vanity press John Bircher/Cleon Skousen weirdo wackjob kind of books. This feller isn't Meade, but he has Meade's tastes in scholarship. A kind of David A. Noebel level of academic research.

A better book, written by an academic, is Alan Bloom's CLOSING OF THE AMERICAN MIND. A little dated, but still relevant. I also like a great little vicious book about the U.S. class system, CLASS, by Paul Fussell.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  118
Initial post:  Dec 2, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 6, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions