Customer Discussions > Music forum

Who's better Genesis w/ Peter Gabriel or Phil Collins

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 85 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 30, 2011 4:52:58 PM PDT
S. Kile says:
Which Genesis was better in your opinion, the one with Peter or the one with Phil....
Personally I choose Phil's Genesis period

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 5:14:25 PM PDT
A customer says:
I prefer Peter Gabriel. Just a brilliant songwriter.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2011 5:20:35 PM PDT
S. Kile says:
I agree that he is a brilliant songwriter and I personally think he used his songwriting abilities the best in his solo work, he as good in Genesis as well but better solo

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 7:47:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 30, 2011 7:47:46 PM PDT
I saw a biography on Genesis. They said that fans thought the band would break up when Peter left, beacause they assumed he was the writer of all the band's music. I guess he wasn't, even though he is obviously capable. I love alot of the stuff they did with Peter, and the Phil era through about Abacab or so. They went too top 40 mainstreaam after that. I'll choose the early Phil era.

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 7:53:09 PM PDT
Fischman says:
This really breaks down to the english prog era vs. the more pop era, so whatever music you prefer is the version of Genesis you'd prefer. Even though it's the same group, it's really apples and oranges.

Maybe it's time to fire up a "Bon Scott or Brian Jonson" thread. How 'bout a "David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar" thread? Better yet, I'm sure there's an old "Ozzie vs Dio" thread we could dig up!

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 7:57:45 PM PDT
Bon Scott, DLR, Ozzy

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 8:13:58 PM PDT
Fischman says:
Doesn't matter.
Wrong
Wrong

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 8:37:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 31, 2011 5:23:43 AM PDT
D. C. Blair says:
I prefer to think of Genesis' history divided into two periods: I. Hackett-era Genesis, and II. Post-Hackett Genesis. I feel the true artistic sea-change for the group followed Steve Hackett leaving the group. (Not to digress, but ... I don't downplay Gabriel's artistic importance to Genesis. It should be noted that I am a Gabriel completist, loving both his work with Genesis and his solo stuff, and I've attended his [post-Genesis] concerts.) But I find a unique aesthetic unifying the Gabriel-era recordings (up to and including Lamb Lies Down On Broadway) and the first three post-Gabriel recordings (which, with Phil Collins as lead singer, still included Steve Hackett on guitar). All bets were off when And Then There Were Three appeared, shocking those of us who didn't feel Genesis could continue without its lead guitarist and arguably its chief alchemist of the group's sound. Back then --and especially in hindsight-- I view(ed) the double-live Seconds Out as the real swan song for Genesis. Although And Then There Were Three (and its outtakes) had some valid artistic statements to make, it represents to me the start of a decline (or progression, depending on your point of view) into a highly commercial period for the group (which Steve Hackett would surely have applied the brakes hard to avoid going into). Now for the most subjective part of my post which is: By the time I had the misfortune of having my ears tortured by "I Can't Dance," I had completely written off Genesis as having anything more to say to me.

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 8:37:55 PM PDT
Of course, there's no right or wrong.

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 8:43:32 PM PDT
I always imagined the early die-hard fans hearing "Follow you, follow me", and thinking "what the.....?"

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 1:09:14 AM PST
Peter Gabriel

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 7:02:31 AM PST
Steve Hackett and Tony Banks collectively were more important than who sang or played drums (as the live album "Seconds Out" proves.) As much as I love the long jams, the general public (teenagers) just wouldn't tolerate it in the era of punk and disco. Genesis pretty much had to conform to the 3 minute formula of "verse chorus verse bridge verse chorus" (or cleverly enough, the ABACAB formula) if they ever wanted to make any real money. Of course once a musician gets a taste of real money, he doesn't ever want to split it evenly again.

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 7:20:28 AM PST
B-Jak says:
Good points about Hackett and the era of punk, though Gabriel managed that era quite well himself without resorting to pop. If pop's your thing, Phil's writing fits the bill as well as anyone. For those who prefer a bit more substance, the Gabriel/ Hackett era is one of the greatest legacies in prog, and absolutely my cup of joe.

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 8:07:00 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 13, 2012 8:08:31 AM PST
vivazappa says:
Gabriel by a mile...

Phil had two excellent records with Hackett still on board...
Then just a couple of tunes on each of the other records...

The Lamb ranks #4 on my favorite record list...Supper's Ready is great!

Besides...it's Tony Banks' band...listen if you don't believe me...his sound is the one constant...

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 8:14:46 AM PST
I, too, believe that the true artistic shift occurred after Hackett left. If we're just talking Gabriel vs. Collins as singers, I still take Gabriel. Collins is a highly capable and appealing singer (at least, when he's not singing pap), but Gabriel had some real soul. I also think that Gabriel was easily the best songwriter in the band, and even though the two immediate post-Gabriel albums ("Trick" and "Wind") are fine, something *was* lost when he left. Still, much much more was lost when Hackett left.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 5:11:16 PM PST
Peter Gabriel on his own. Not afraid to experiment with world music and still be accessible and enjoyable.

Phil Collins has the same flat range and dialect on almost every song. Just bland.

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 5:50:19 PM PST
Peter Gabriel is one of my fave musicians both with and without Genesis. I loved his work in Genesis, but I agree with those who've said that his work just kept on improving after leaving Genesis. Many former band members have faltered on their own, but Gabriel didn't and that's a rarity. And while his former band got more and more into bland pop after he left, Peter continued to break new ground with different styles, incorporating world music and experimentation with the Fairlight synthesiser, and working with artists like Robert Fripp and Kate Bush. He's also a dynamic, theatrical performer who wasn't afraid to push the envelope while his old band played it safe. Gabriel easily wins this argument.

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 6:09:57 PM PST
"Trick" and "Wind" are hands down my two favorite Genesis albums. They are excellent. Gabriel era Genesis is very hit or miss with me. Duke -> are great pop albums. I like them but not in a Classic Rock vein. Duke to present sound more like Phil Collins solo albums but that is okay with me.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 6:34:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 13, 2012 6:49:51 PM PST
'Trick' and 'Wind' are both good albums but they do not compare to 'Selling England by the Pound' and 'The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway', which are both masterpieces, at least in my book.

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 6:55:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 13, 2012 6:56:49 PM PST
@venussansfurs, Daniel A.Lazarus: "Trick", to me, was the group trying very hard to prove that they could survive and thrive without Gabriel. And they were very successful on that front, since it meant they had to up their game on the production, arrangements, and musicianship. They even upped their lyrical game, with Banks penning some of his best-ever lyrics, and Collins did a remarkable job in trying to imitate Gabriel's sound. And yet, while "Trick" may very well be their best-produced and best-performed album, they still came up just a bit short in the lyrical/vocal department. There was a depth and soul to Gabriel's vision that was fairly induplicable, although the band did an admirable and totally enjoyable job trying that one time. But I just can't compare the lyrics to "Squonk" or "Robbery Assault And Battery" to "Dancing With The Moonlight Knight" or "The Chamber Of 32 Doors". Sorry.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 6:58:55 PM PST
I agree with you. Which is why I said 'Trick' and 'Wind' were good, not great albums. But they were still better than the pablum that followed after Hackett left.

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 7:03:56 PM PST
@venussansfurs: I know, I was basically supporting you there (I addressed both you and Daniel because you both were discussing the issue). Although I actually think "Trick" is a great album, it's just not quite as good as the two before it IMO. "Wind" is still very good in parts but other parts are clearly treading water; that wouldn't even have been an issue if they had allowed Hackett more room on it.

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 7:05:50 PM PST
Stone Blue says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 7:11:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 13, 2012 7:23:41 PM PST
Oh, I'm sorry Michael. I thought you were in disagreement, but I can see now we were on the same page. Thank you for clarifying that! Yes, there's definitely something lacking in those albums and for me personally, it's what you said - Gabriel's vision and lyric ability is missing. And that's a whole lot of personality to go missing with a frontperson as dynamic as he was. Banks may have tried to up his game, but it still falls short, at least for myself.

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 7:31:18 PM PST
Music Luver says:
The band broke up a long time ago, does it matter? After they went pop they totally sucked.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  40
Total posts:  85
Initial post:  Jul 30, 2011
Latest post:  May 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions