Customer Discussions > Music forum

"Elvis and the Beatles stole from black music."

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 550 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 17, 2011 6:40:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 27, 2012 8:35:39 AM PDT
W. Robinson says:
I've already seen THIS alegation made so many times here on alot of these other threads that I just thought it required a thread of it's own.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2011 6:49:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 21, 2014 9:18:26 AM PDT
Yeah right, Beatles songs like Sergent Pepper's, Strawberry Fields, Yellow Submarine, A Day in the Life, All You Need Is Love, I Am the Walrus, Maxwell's Silver Hammer, Ellenore Rigby, Let It Be, Hey Jude, Penny Lane, Here Comes the Sun, LSD ( Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds ), Magical Mystery Tour and Yesterday do sound very black ( LMFAO )!!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2011 6:57:14 AM PDT
Music has no race.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2011 7:01:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 17, 2011 9:01:19 AM PDT
DavRay says:
check

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 7:01:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Feb 13, 2014 7:54:41 AM PST
Elvis and The Beatles both had some WHITE musical influences as well, like country western, Vegas and crooner in Elvis's case, and classical, vaudeville and British Music Hall in The Beatles case, .. which they combined with rock thus altering it and evolving it further along. So they were both pioneers with it too. All music evolves and develops, it isn't simply "invented" by anyone, and Rock and roll was no exception to that.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2011 7:02:47 AM PDT
A. Bradshaw says:
It's not the words but the music and yes today's music has it's origins in Black music whether you like it or not

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 7:19:21 AM PDT
If they stole it then at least Elvis, the Beatles and Stones had great taste.

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 12:00:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 17, 2011 12:12:11 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
The only reason the subject comes up is because white people making covers of black music had a pretty good chance of doing better commercially.....especially in the early days of rock n roll. Of course covering and actually stealing/copying often occrred black on black in the blues. Try sometimes tracing the origin of the classic "Stagger Lee". Was it truly "public domain" and, if so, why were "writers" often listed and the title(s) often changed?

Some attempts at cashing in probably failed at taking advantage of racism by making those watered down white version of r&b type songs, rock or otherwise. I'm certain Pat Boone's versions of "Tutti Frutti" and "Ain't That a Shame" didn't cut into Little Richard's or Fats Domino's that much. Those that would buy Pat's probably would NOT have bought the originals, whether it be your standard racism or simply that the originals sounded too "foreign"(?) The white Diamonds DID grab ahold of The Gladiolas (black) "Little Darlin' and make it a bit hit. It was one case where Alan Freed DID seem to favor the white version. It could have actually been that Freed thought the white versio was better (as opposed to the obvious thought of payola).

As far as white on white covering, I remember when a young popular actor (and I use the term loosely), Tab Hunter, made an offkey cover of Sonny James' "Young Love". I suspect only the true Tab fans bought his. James' did pretty good regardless of the competition. On the other hand, ethnically speaking, the placid Bobby Rydell's "Volare" was a anglicized version of Dominigo Meduno's (sp?) Nel Blu de Pinto de Blu (sp?) and probably became more popular overall....a travesty.

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2011 12:06:33 PM PDT
ALL music is stolen from other genres.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2011 12:11:57 PM PDT
Conclusion: Music is a crime. Skateboarding too.

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 12:18:34 PM PDT
N. Parkinson says:
Nobody stole anything (maybe Jimmy page stole, but that's something else) they all paid the right royalties.

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 12:24:35 PM PDT
D. Mok says:
And hip-hop stole from rock records for drum samples, basslines and guitar riffs. Didn't even emulate the chord changes; used the actual recordings. Black blues players stole riffs and even lyrics from one another all the time. It's about time black-music fans get off their high horse.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2011 12:25:25 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Nov 6, 2011 8:42:53 AM PST]

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 12:27:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Feb 16, 2014 11:26:35 AM PST
I suppose that white people are always guilty of stealing UNLESS they are making or listening to opera, classical symphony, country western, vaudevillian, Broadway showtune, scottish bagpipe, or Irish jig music.

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 12:40:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 17, 2011 12:48:36 PM PDT
Shawn says:
White rock artist from the 50's and 60's had a tone of respect for the black forefathers of rock and roll,and elvis was no different. He was even quoted in saying that fats domino could sing way better than him, and paid homage to chuck berry and little richard. He even covered richard's tutti frutti, for his debut album. And as for the beatles, they really didn't cover any black artist,except for the isley bros., once. But john lennon did say if you could give rock another name you could call it chuck berry.

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 12:49:28 PM PDT
Funny how some musicians "steal" while others are just "influenced" .....

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2011 1:02:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 17, 2011 1:04:34 PM PDT
Shawn says:
black music fans get of their high horse?, ok D, I do agree that this arguement is pointless and both black and white musicians have done a lot for rock, but at the end of the day black musicians were first forefathers of rock, and none of them are called the king, except elvis who came after. Now does that seem fair, or does that seem racially motivated?, elvis was just called the king because of his look. He was tall,white and handsome. But elvis himself even said fats domino was better then him. and as far as hip hop is concerned, its not even real music, period!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2011 1:47:24 PM PDT
David says:
Everyone has borrowed from everyone else that came before. Nothing new about that. What's your point?

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 2:19:35 PM PDT
Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blues?

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 3:49:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 17, 2011 3:55:56 PM PDT
D. Mok says:
> but at the end of the day black musicians were first forefathers of rock, and none of
> them are called the king

Who gives a crap? You want to complain about racism in the history of journalism and marketing, be my guest. But I'm sick and tired of people calling Elvis fans "racist", and accusations of "theft". I like Elvis Presley's music. I would have liked his music if he were black. And to try to devalue his contribution to the development of rock and roll is as wrong as to try to devalue Chuck Berry's, or Muddy Waters', or T-Bone Walker's, or Fats Domino's, or Little Richard's.

Aside from the fact that Chuck Berry wasn't nearly as popular as Elvis Presley, nobody ever mentions that Chuck Berry himself worked hard to betray his black heritage by "trying to sing white" -- one major reason I don't like his music. And why wouldn't white music fans listen and relate to white musicians more? Black music fans listen to black musicians -- some of them do so exclusively -- and they don't catch flack. So why is it that when black people do it they're "celebrating their culture and identity", but when white people do it they're being racist? It's rank hypocrisy. And I don't even belong to either race group.

So the music press happened not to give Chuck Berry the title of "King". Big deal. At the end of the day, who are the mindless sheep who think that just because the rock press uses that nickname, we have to?

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 4:04:55 PM PDT
Just because an artist or band is "influenced" by a type of music in no way means that they are "stealing" it. The thing that upsets the people that make those accusations is that an artist like Elvis was much, much more successful doing it.

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 5:01:07 PM PDT
S. Rice says:
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2011 5:55:53 PM PDT
C. Batty says:
Don't tell those people about Hank Williams and Jimmie Rodgers. Or where banjos come from.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2011 6:14:51 PM PDT
You must be as old as I am, you have a good grasp on the 50s for sure!

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 6:48:38 PM PDT
And black people "stole" their music from the Irish.

I wonder who the Irish "stole" their music from?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 22 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
American Music And The British Invasion Part III 5513 12 minutes ago
A Taste of 2014... 763 21 minutes ago
What Are You Listening To? (Volume Three) 2405 23 minutes ago
Ed's, Mikal's and my top lists of albums for 2014 321 49 minutes ago
Apple kills the Ipod! Will this affect your music listening in the future? 16 1 hour ago
Favourite Female Artists 1361 2 hours ago
More Kiss : Do You Have A Favorite Kiss Album Cover (From The Makeup Years)? 199 3 hours ago
What The Hell, Who Cares! 70 7 hours ago
Crap or any good? How do you like my first LP/album? 9 9 hours ago
Best movie performance by a rock performer. 131 10 hours ago
New U2 Album "Songs of Innocence" free on iTunes 62 13 hours ago
The Official Soft Rock/Adult Comtemporary Appreciation Post!!! 301 18 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  158
Total posts:  550
Initial post:  Aug 17, 2011
Latest post:  15 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions