Customer Discussions > Music forum

What artists would you select to convert someone to Country?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 57 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 27, 2012 5:52:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 5:53:02 PM PST
If you really want to pick the very very best Country musicians- which would you reccommend? I personally think Patsy Cline and Jim Reeves can convert anyone to liking Country music. The problem is Country is so very broad genre, so its not like a one size-fits-all approach. If I picked them they would only represent the "Nashville Sound". There are so much to choose from.

How about Juice Newton and Eddie Rabbit with some George Strait, Clint Black, and The Carter Family for good measure? The question is how can you convince someone that Country music is really rather good, and not as horrible as they imagine? There is some hope. Its not like its Rap.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 8:30:21 PM PST
Emmylou Harris
Lucinda Williams
Rosanne Cash
Gram Parsons
Alison Krauss (w/ and w/o Union Station)
Lyle Lovett
Dwight Yoakum
Joe Ely

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 9:15:16 PM PST
Possum'll do the trick - George Jones
Buck Owens

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 9:15:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 9:17:41 PM PST
Don Williams
Brad Paisley
Trisha Yearwood
Mary Chapin Carpenter

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 9:24:09 PM PST
Gena Chereck says:
Trisha and MCC certainly worked on me back in the day -- I'd also recommend Patty Loveless.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 9:37:21 PM PST
I would have loved to have gone to Brad Paisley's concert at the O2 Arena last year.

http://youtu.be/aJ9vG4gMAVs

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 9:57:13 PM PST
Auntie Lynn says:
All of the above (especially Patsy), Tennessee Ernie, Ferlin, Little Jimmy Dickens, Carson Robinson, maybe Travis Tritt...more later...

Hey, I play more Nashville in one day than San Jose plays in a month...

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 9:59:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 10:02:19 PM PST
S. O'Brien says:
Hank 3, Lucky Tubb, Wayne Hancock, David Allan Coe, Dale Watson, Rachel Brooke, Joey Allcorn, Gary Stewart, Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Billy Joe Shaver, Bob Wayne, Hank Sr, Hank Jr, JB Beverley, Marty Stuart, .357 String Band, Kenneth Brian, Dwight Yoakam, Little Lisa Dixie, James Hand, Whitey Morgan, Olds Sleeper, Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Johnny Paycheck, Charlie Daniels, George Jones

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 10:19:34 PM PST
I would recommend artists that were early precursors of "country-rock" such as The Flying Burrito Bros., New Riders of the Purple Sage, The Byrds(68-73), Bob Dylan, The Band and Gram Parsons' 2 solo albums. I have to give credit to the Eagles despite my personal opinion of their "interpretation" of the genre, but say the person you're attempting to enlighten listens to rock; I think this would be the way to go with the said artists.

I know it did me!

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 11:49:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 11:50:55 PM PST
George Jones
Willie
Waylon
Buck Owens
Merle Haggard
The beautiful...Emmylou

Gram is more country rock to me, but I would include his two solo records.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 3:02:25 AM PST
Hinch says:
Waylon Jennings
Willie Nelson
Jim Lauderdale
Rodney Crowell
Emmylou Harris

You really can't "convert" anyone. Some people like country, some don't.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 5:04:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 5:14:43 AM PST
Johnny Bee says:
In no particular order, just a few great artists that lean towards country rather than strictly country (hate that s**t kickin' stuff) artists:

Lucinda Williams
Nancy Griffith
Guy Clark
Ryan Adams
Tom Russell
Steve Earle
Justin Townes Earle
Mary Gauthier
Elvis perkins
Golden Smog
Gillian Welch
David Rawlings Machine
Townes Van Zandt (the man)
And, of course, the Gramster - Gram Parsons / The Flying Burrito Brothers

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 8:09:39 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 28, 2012 8:33:30 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 8:16:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 10:55:04 AM PST
D. Mok says:
> I personally think Patsy Cline and Jim Reeves can convert anyone to liking Country music.

Dead wrong, as usual.

No artist can "convert anyone" to a genre. Trisha Yearwood, Dixie Chicks, Gillian Welch, Emmylou Harris and Willie Nelson are the few country artists I listen to, and not only are all of them atypical, but just because I like them doesn't mean I'll listen to any country from now on.

One thing is certain, though -- Meade "Roquefort Cheese" Skelton can convert anyone AWAY from country music.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 8:29:56 AM PST
Charley Pride or The Mekons

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 9:13:18 AM PST
Fischman says:
Chet Atkins, Roy Clark, Patsy Cline, Jerry Reed and Glen Campbell are all artists I would recommend for someone who loves great music to appreciate that which is generally listed in the country genre.

This would, however not actually convert said hypothetical music lover to country as most country bears little or no resemblance to those listed above, or to good music.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 9:58:30 AM PST
Not true. Meade has a campy feel, that hipsters just love. Yeah, Willie Nelson sure isn't Country, lol. Its hilarious when non country fans like country singers then try their best to rationalize how they're "not really country".

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 10:18:24 AM PST
D. Mok says:
> Its [sic] hilarious when non country fans like country singers then try their best to rationalize how they're "not really country".

That's because we don't want to be included in the "country-music community", because it's filled to the brim with people like you.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 12:01:44 PM PST
Kasey Chambers
Alison Krauss
Waylon Jennings
Fairport Convention
Gram Parsons
Richard, Linda, Teddy Thompson
Dirt Daubers
Ida

To me these are some that didn't sound quite like any other artist and were less likely to keep repeating their exact same formula from one album to the next. I'm always looking for something completely original but seldom find it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:22:08 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 1:22:11 PM PST
D. Mok says:
Fairport Convention and Richard Thompson aren't country; they are folk. Ida is alternative pop.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 2:10:17 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 28, 2012 2:13:29 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 2:13:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 2:14:00 PM PST
richard thompson's 'tear stained letter' did get some top forty country music play in the late '80s. I forget who charted it. He was an accordian player who was NOT david Hilgado.
quick google it was Jo-El Sonnier.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:20:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 6:10:24 AM PST
...and later Johnny Cash made a cover version... so if it wasn't country to start with...

EDIT:
Sorry, as Jacky points out below I was misinformed - I was thinking of a song Johnny Cash wrote himself with the same title.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 2:35:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 2:41:53 PM PST
rasmus,
Did he?
he wrote a different song called 'tear stained letter' but he could have recorded the richard thompson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T89YCADP4uU&feature=related
if you need to check out a live version of thompson's own.

Lyle Lovett, rosanne cash and Tom waits have all written different songs by the title 'closing time' and I have heard others sing the waits and Cash...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  28
Total posts:  57
Initial post:  Nov 27, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions