Customer Discussions > Music forum

Music by lesbian singer-songwriter

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 81 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 1:08:42 PM PST
stevign says:
re: "Thanks for not holding "being from Texas" against me...LOL"

No problem, Donald and Rizzo wanted to hold it against you but I talked them out of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 1:14:10 PM PST
Severin says:
You mean like Laverne DeFazio putting a big 'L' on all her sweaters?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 2:09:35 PM PST
stevign says:
lololove it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 2:12:10 PM PST
Severin says:
Thanks, you've got a sharp wit yourself.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 2:18:34 PM PST
stevign says:
;~)

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 2:21:33 PM PST
mac says:
I wish I was a lesbian - I'd get a lot more attention.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 2:31:45 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 3:52:59 PM PST
stevign says:
All men are Lesbians.........except for Gay men, they're just so horny they'll jump anyone.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 2:50:16 PM PST
D. Mok says:
> All men are Lesbians [sic].........except for Gay [sic] men, they're just so horny they're [sic] jump anyone.

What an insanely offensive stereotype. You should be ashamed of yourself. These people aren't there for your childish amusement.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 3:20:49 PM PST
stevign says:
LOLOL.....Really? I'll bet if a comedian said that on Letterman, both Gays and Straights would laugh. Besides, Gays make jokes about Straights all the time and most of us are adult enough to know humor when they hear it. I suggest you loosen up the bone Wilma, I find your disgust insanely offensive. ;~)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 3:40:51 PM PST
S. Rice says:
Razor sharp wit you've got there, razor sharp.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 4:01:14 PM PST
stevign says:
Thanks Rice. I didn't want to deny too much when defending my humor, D. Mok thinks I'm a bigot and if I told him (or her) that I've never been one and even have some gay friends, he may become despondent and not talk to me again. His/Her heart is in the right place though.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 4:08:33 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 18, 2012 11:25:25 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 5:19:15 PM PST
Severin says:
He's also an anti-Lennonite.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 5:23:19 PM PST
D. Mok says:
And John Lennon was a homophobic, anti-Semitic, woman-abusing, child-neglecting, tone-deaf monster.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 5:27:36 PM PST
Severin says:
Yeah, that's the stuff. Glad some things don't change.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 5:49:12 PM PST
Another thread hijacked by D. Mok.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:00:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 7:06:21 PM PST
E. Dill says:
@Timothy Schubert:

I had the same conversation years ago about the notion of "gay culture". I wondered what that meant. I mean, I know what it means if it is art that expresses the politics of the movement of gays to demand the right to live their lives and love who they wish without prejudice but does it mean that ALL art by gays is different that ALL art by straights because of their sexual orientation?

Some gay singers, e.g., seem to sing songs ABOUT being gay, presumably as a civil rights issue. If a gay singer/songwriter writes a love song that is expressly about or to a same sex lover, that may be a political statement or simply a love song that identifies the lovers sex. Is the latter part of "gay culture". Then there are a variety of stereotypes about gays. Are people who fit those stereotypes part of the gay culture? How about those that don't?

I realize that this may sound anti-gay to some, but I'm sincerely interested in the notion of "gay culture".

Sorry if I went off topic. And, I'll give your music a listen Karen.

ed

EDIT: I had a similar notion about someone slamming Green Day for not living the "punk lifestyle". I wondered what that meant also, regardless of what anyone thought of their music. And what in the hell is the punk lifestyle anyway?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:06:00 PM PST
stevign says:
You mean he hates John Lennon? Uh oh, I hear him talking right now about Lennon. This ain't good.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:06:22 PM PST
stevign says:
But other than that? ;~)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:51:56 PM PST
Karen, good luck with your career. I fear you may not go as far as your talent could take you. Since it is ultimately your career, you should do it the way you want to. If that means a career as a niche atrist, then you should be a great example of someone filling that niche. I got into music as a kid because I loved the things I heard and wanted to emulate those sounds. I never fulfilled that dream, but my love of music never died. I have always loved the universality of music.

While I am a Beatles fanatic, I love all types of music with the exception of Opera, Rap(which I don't really consider music), and some Country. Cross-over is fine and I love Country-Rock. Your music is your music and if it makes you happy, that's all that really matters. If you can make enough to not have to work a day job, you can consider yourself a success.

While I am straight, I've known Homosexuals and Lesbians since I was in school and have been friends with most people that I've known. Anyone who treats you differently after finding out that you're a Lesbian is the person with the problem and it's not really your responsibility to try to alleviate their discomfort. Being up-front about your sexuality may seem like you are trying to keep things honest, but it is often really a defense mechanism. Never let the discomfort of others make you change who you are inside, or, and this is really important, affect your music.

If you are doing an album about your sexuality because of how other's reactions to your sexuality has affected you, you are doing it for the wrong reason. If you really are doing it to help others accept their own sexuality, then you probably have your head on straight and might be able to help others. I really do wish you luck.

My main reason for questioning your motives is that I think that music should be made to appeal to as many people as possible. You should try to achieve success on your own terms, but you should always have a plan b. You don't have to be a sell-out to make an album that is universal in its appeal. The Beatles wrote songs about everything from drugs and sex to revolution and obsession. They are the most universally successful band of all time. If your concept album doesn't work out, just try writing good songs. You don't have to hide who you are and you shouldn't. Sometimes you get your point across better by not making it obvious.

Again, good luck and I hope you get the career you want. If you do, you will have gone farther in the business than I ever could.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:58:10 PM PST
doodah man says:
Interesting replies. I guess one thing that comes to mind is, if I was a singer-songwriter, would it be necessary for me to label my music as by a 'straight heterosexual male'?
Just let your music speak for itself.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 8:17:59 AM PST
Mr. Schubert,
re: "...I think that music should be made to appeal to as many people as possible."

I believe I understand your reasoning here and I don't believe you are suggesting any songwriter should try to be successful by appealing to the lowest common denominator. However, I feel differently than your statement connotes. We have plenty of music that is written to appeal to a large audience. Much of it is forgettable. I think music has to be personally authentic, even if written from the viewpoint of a persona. People like what they like, often without a reason. We can't predict beforehand what will become popular, or when.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 8:29:09 AM PST
Lauren says:
@Studebacher Right. Who would have predicted that Melissa Etheridge would have become way more popular *after* she came out (not that releasing a terrific album hurt much)?

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 9:27:54 AM PST
fpr says:
"Another thread hijacked by D. Mok"

Hummm. I don't agree. Rather, I think Mok makes some very good points here. What two consenting adults do in the privacy of their own bedrooms should be of no concern to anyone else. That being said, I do wonder why certain performers make it everyone else's concern by making their sexuality part of their art? As well as that works for novelty acts (Gay Men's choirs, ect.), this woman's music is clearly no novelty act.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 3:49:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 6:16:19 PM PST
Studebacher Hoch says:
re: "...I think that music should be made to appeal to as many people as possible."
I think music has to be personally authentic, even if written from the viewpoint of a persona. People like what they like, often without a reason. We can't predict beforehand what will become popular, or when.

I don't disagree, but, my basic point is that purposely limiting your possible fan-base seems to me to be a zero sum game. You're putting a governor on your success and not giving it a full chance to flower. As for your last sentence, have you never heard of 10CC? In 1976 half of the band, Lol Creme and Kevin Godley left to make an album with their invention. the Gizmo. Eric Stewart and Graham Gouldman decided to go on as 10CC, but they believed that in order to continue, they would need a number one hit song. They sat down to write a number one song and wrote "The Things We Do For Love", which hit number one on charts all over the world. Yes, it is unusual, but it has been done.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  81
Initial post:  Dec 16, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 9, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions