7. Blue Oyster Cult
8. Alice In Chains
9. Alice Cooper
10. Ted Nugent
11. Montrose
12. Dio
13. Queensryche(80s only)
14. Overkill
15. Band of Gypsys(more American than the JH Experience)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2011 4:40:15 PM PDT
Grandpa Tom says:
Thank you. Post has been edited.

Posted on Sep 30, 2011 7:32:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 1, 2011 5:03:07 PM PDT
Tero says:
OK, I will add
CCR
Eagles
Lynyrd Skynyrd

I was never much a Kansas fan in those days, more Tull and Yes and such. For the proggy bands.

Posted on Sep 30, 2011 8:05:18 PM PDT
Blues Junkie says:
Allman Brothers
Grateful Dead
the Doors
Little Feat (Lowell George era)
Aerosmith (70s)
Van Halen (Roth era)
Guns N Roses
Pearl Jam
Rustic Overtones
JJ Grey & Mofro

tough omissions: Santana, Funkadelic, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Los Lobos, Black Crowes, Blind Melon, Stone Temple Pilots, Wilco

I didn't count offshoot bands like Gov't Mule, Derek Trucks Band, Ratdog,etc, or Jimi Hendrix Experience

Posted on Sep 30, 2011 8:15:21 PM PDT
Autonomeus says:
Blues Junkie:

JJ Grey & Mofro? Never heard of 'em. Or Rustic Overtones.

Who is Gov't Mule an offshoot of -- the Allman Bros.? Surely the band stands on its own, with Warren the leader rather than just guitarist. And why not the Jimi Hendrix Experience?

Cheers, Richard

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2011 8:17:30 PM PDT
Autonomeus says:
Two Tub Man:

The Dictators -- nice! What about the Del Lords?

Cheers, Richard

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2011 8:24:58 PM PDT
Two Tub Man says:
Richard,
The Del Lords are very good, they're gigging again and are working on a new album. But I think I'd like them more
if Top Ten Kempner hadn't been a Dictator before (and after) he was a Del Lord. For me at least, The Del Lords
pale mightily in comparison to The Dictators.

Posted on Sep 30, 2011 8:25:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2011 8:29:42 PM PDT
Blues Junkie says:
R Hutch -
Rustic Overtones were/are an indie band from Maine, they really mix up a lot of genres. To narrow it down to 2 I'd call them a funk/rock band. JJ Grey & Mofro is absolutely my favorite new band of this century - they've been on Alligator Records for about 5 albums now. They also mix it up - soul, funk, rock, blues, etc.

* edit : I guess my counting skills suck today - JJ Grey & Mofro just released their 4th album on Alligator records

Yeah, I'd consider the Mule an ABB offshoot band, since Haynes & Woody were from ABB & Abts came in from the Dickey Betts Band. Sure do love them, though. & JHE was out because 2/3 of the band was British. S McNary had a good idea, listing Band of Gypsys.

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 3:22:30 AM PDT
Grandpa Tom says:
The Blasters

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 4:26:58 AM PDT
Working Man says:
I forgot the Black Crowes. They should be on my list.

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 6:11:49 AM PDT
Autonomeus says:
Two Tub Man:

LOVERS WHO WANDER is a great Del Lords album. I'm glad Kempner is still at it, I wondered what had happened to him.

Blues Junkie:

Gov't Mule has a very distinctive sound, I find it strange to see them as nothing more than an offshoot of the ABB, but I guess we each make our own rules. I saw the Allmans with Warren and Woody in '97, and I was going to see the Mule in 2000, and then just a day or two before the show, Woody died. I never have seen them. One of these days...

As for Hendrix, I don't know why having some British backing musicians disqualifies him as an American!

Cheers, Richard

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2011 7:02:00 AM PDT
Two Tub Man says:
Richard,
Re : Scott Kempner. He's got a way with words, he wrote most of the knee-slappingly funny liner notes for The Dictators 'Every Day Is Saturday' comp, and writes (infrequently) a pretty good blog @ scottkempner.com.
He put out his 2nd solo album, 'Saving Grace', in '08, and his first was reissued earlier this year.
Oh yeah, there's a Dictators blog as well, at dffdblog.com. You may see me in there somewhere...

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 7:12:02 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Nov 29, 2012 2:49:17 PM PST]

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 7:25:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 1, 2011 7:26:12 AM PDT
Blues Junkie says:
Richard,

I agree about the Mule having its own sound...I guess I'm lumping them in with ABB more out of convenience to narrow this list down to 10. If I didn't, then Mule & Derek Trucks Band would all have to be in & I'd only have 7 slots left! I saw Gov't Mule a couple times in the 90's, they were incredible shows. I remember reading an interview with Haynes when Mule was new. I don't remember his exact words but the paraphrased version was that he had freedom to improvise in ABB but it had to be within established structures, so he & Woody started the Mule so they could improvise without any restrictions.

Have you listened to Derek Trucks Band much? I highly recommend them if you like ABB & Gov't Mule. They're pretty eclectic though, so if you hear one DTB album that you love or hate, don't assume the next one you hear will sound like it. Btw, with the DTB on hiatus due to the Trucks / Tedeschi Band's album & tour, DTB's bass player Todd Smalley moved over to JJ Grey & Mofro. Trucks guested on 1 track on their last studio album as well.

As for Jimi, I definitely wasn't questioning his American-ness as an individual. But I'm thinking of this in terms of bands, if I only consider Jimi as an individual then I think I'd have to work Dylan into this list, Tom Waits, maybe Beck & Ben Harper, etc. So, based on JHE as a band, yeah Jimi's American but they're 2/3 British & the band broke in the UK, so I don't really think of them as an American band. & that may be splitting hairs arbitrarily based on my own made up rules, but hey, it works for me.

Speaking of Jimi, I've been digging the new In The West release, & debating whether to pick up the new single-CD Winterland release or waiting until I have a little more $ in the budget & picking up the full box set. Anyone have either of the new Winterlands, & have an opinion on that?

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 7:27:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 1, 2011 7:29:00 AM PDT
7 & 7 IS says:
Love
13th Floor Elevators
Alice Cooper
Zappa
Little Feat
Velvets
Stooges
Elvis
Remains
Rascals

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2011 11:00:35 AM PDT
Autonomeus says:
Hey Huss:

Thanks for reminding me of Husker Du...

I had some cassettes back in the '80s and never replaced them on CD, time to remedy that!

Cheers, Richard

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2011 12:13:47 PM PDT
Manglegrim says:
Oh, yeah, now that's a good list. I would fit Little Feat, Green Day and, oddly enough, Three Dog Night in there somewhere.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2011 1:22:07 PM PDT
R. Hutchinson-Re. Hendrix being "disqualified" as an American. He's not, its that particular band. Otherwise I'm going to add Rainbow to the list since Dio was American. Is UFO a German band? Schenker is German surrounded by British "backing " musicians. Hendrix without the Experience is American.

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 1:48:14 PM PDT
S. Rice says:
Hüsker Dü
The Velvet Underground
The Replacements
R.E.M.
Sonic Youth
Dinosaur Jr.
Low
Stars of the Lid
Mazzy Star
Red House Painters

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 2:08:12 PM PDT
Autonomeus says:
Stephen, I'm not familiar with your other examples, metal isn't my thing, but I'm keeping the Jimi Hendrix Experience on *my* list.

I'm also keeping Neil Young & Crazy Horse and the Band, both of which made their music in America, though Neil and all the Band members except Levon Helm are/were born in Canada.

To my way of thinking it is absurd not to consider these three bands American.

Cheers, Richard

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2011 5:03:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 1, 2011 5:04:00 PM PDT
Tero says:
I have 5 now

CCR
Eagles
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Allman Brothers
Tom Petty

Posted on Oct 2, 2011 8:58:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 3, 2011 8:02:28 AM PDT
Autonomeus says:
For those who missed it on the R.E.M. thread a few days ago:

According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists), the biggest selling rock bands in America are:

1) Aerosmith (150 mil)
2) Bon Jovi (130 mil)
3) Chicago (122 mil)
4) tie
Eagles (120 mil)
Bruce Springsteen & E-St. Band (120 mil)
5) tie
Metallica (100 mil)
Guns N' Roses (100 mil)
Kiss (100 mil)
6) tie
The Doors (80 mil)
Santana (80 mil)
Van Halen (80 mil)

7) Journey (75 mil)
8) Green Day (65 mil)
9) Pearl Jam (60 mil)
10) tie
Alice Cooper (50 mil)
Linkin Park (50 mil)
Motley Crue (50 mil)
Nirvana (50 mil)
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers (50 mil)
Red Hot Chili Peppers (50 mil)
R.E.M. (50 mil)

(These numbers are obviously rounded and thus suspect.)

But what it says to me is that popularity and artistic quality are not the same thing.

There are some mysteries here. Linkin Park makes the list, and I've barely heard of them, while the Beach Boys are missing? Maybe their maximum sales were back in the days of singles, before albums? Can't say.

Here are the Top 7 Rock Bands ahead of the American bands:

1) Beatles (1 bil)
2) Led Zeppelin (2-300 mil)
3) Queen (150-300 mil)
4) Pink Floyd (200 mil)
5) AC/DC (200 mil)
6) Rolling Stones (200 mil)
7) U2 (150 mil)

Cheers, Richard

Posted on Oct 2, 2011 10:45:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2011 10:46:41 AM PDT
R. Rolwing says:
Social Distortion--YEAH! Whoever on here hasn't heard them has to seek them out and soon or you'll regret it.

Posted on Oct 2, 2011 5:07:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 3, 2011 7:58:46 AM PDT
Hinch says:
My top 5 would be, in no particular order;

CCR
The Byrds
Jefferson Airplane
CSN
The Doors

Graham Nash is British, but I believe CSN is considered an American band, if not, oh well!

lol! :-)

Other favorites;

The Beach Boys
Eagles
Chicago
Steppenwolf
Cheap Trick
Marshall Tucker Band

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 5:20:00 PM PDT
Nice list!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
An October 1979 matchup: "Tusk" by Fleetwood Mac or "Regatta De Blanc" by The Police 39 1 minute ago
Roger Waters says "I was wrong" regarding Pink Floyd legal battles and says he will record a new solo album. 246 13 minutes ago
1966...The Beatles Revolver. .The Rolling Stones Aftermath...The Beach Boys Pet Sounds. . 68 54 minutes ago
Pink Floyd new music? 142 1 hour ago
What Are You Listening To? (Volume Three) 751 1 hour ago
What are you listening right now? 1117 2 hours ago
Punk! 343 2 hours ago
Most compelling line in a song. 2375 2 hours ago
American Music And The British Invasion Part III 500 3 hours ago
A "March Of '76" Matchup : Destroyer by Kiss or Presence by Led Zeppelin 22 4 hours ago
A February 1967 matchup: "Younger Than Yesterday" by The Byrds or "Surrealistic Pillow" by Jefferson Airplane 39 4 hours ago
Billy Joel: Opinions Both Who Love Him And Hate Him? 128 4 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  72
Total posts:  174
Initial post:  Sep 29, 2011
Latest post:  Sep 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions