Customer Discussions > Music forum

What Is The Whitest Recording Ever Made by a Black Artist?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 133 posts in this discussion
Posted on Sep 28, 2012 8:16:53 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
Sometimes it IS the lyric more than the actual singing. When I first heard "Betcha By Golly Wow" by the Stylistics, I thought the lyric was the most unblack sounding lyric I'd ever heard. Maybe that's a bit racist on my part. There are black nerds, right? Who was that character on tv with his pants up to his neck?

BTW, despite the lyrics, I still like the song. They gave good harmony....for nerds.

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2012 8:20:24 AM PDT
Urkel!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2012 8:25:57 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
@W. David English:

Tampa Red and Lightnin Hopkins did the poodle song before Marcia Ball. I may have a version of two of it. Someday I WILL get all of my compilations alphabetized by individual artists.

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2012 8:26:38 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
This is a test.

Can you use the word dildo on these boards?

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 8:32:36 AM PDT
Seriously folks, listen to this, and tell me if you think it does or does not sound white!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfOTZet5GKc

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 8:48:16 AM PDT
"My Ding-a-Ling" was first released by King Recorsds in 1952 in a recording by its composer, Dave Bartholomew. In New Orleans lore, the Ding-a-Ling was a little toy a grandmother gave to her grandson when he was a young boy. It was a set of silver bells hanging on a string. A group called The Bees cut the song in 1954 for Imperial Records. That version was called "Toy Bell."

Bartholomew's version isn't bad at all. In his hands, it's a sly bit of double entendre that's vastly superior to Chuck Berry's vulgar embarrassment (and I am a major Chuck fan).

Dave Batholomew - My Ding-a-Ling
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn3nASV-HIs

The Bees - Toy Bell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5IorPq8k2Q

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 9:05:23 AM PDT
Stratocaster says:
E. Dill says: "This is a test. Can you use the word dildo on these boards"?

I sure hope so, since Amazon sells 'em!

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 9:07:34 AM PDT
Stratocaster says:
How about Teddy Pendergrass?

Pure Country, and he did it well. Back when Country was actually pretty good stuff!

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 9:24:24 AM PDT
dwood78 says:
I always thought that Arthur Alexander who song "Anna (Go to Him)" was White (for those not in the know, that was the song that Al Bundy was trying to find the song title in the "Married...With Children episode "Oldies But Young 'Uns")

I was also surprised to learn that Scottish group Big Country had a Black member (Tony Bulter) who took over as the group's main vocalist for a while after the death of Stuart Adamson.

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 9:32:25 AM PDT
Arthur Alexander was a great singer who understood the connection between R&B and country. An absolute giant of Southern soul.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2012 9:56:08 AM PDT
"Let Me Play with Your Poodle" -- old, old song. Also done by Hank Penny (hillbilly) on King in the '40s or '50s, as I vaguely remember.

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 10:49:57 AM PDT
Stratocaster says:
How about "What Is The Whitest Recording Ever Made by a White Artist of a classic Black song?"

My vote? Phil Collins - for both "You Can't Hurry Love" and "Knock On Wood". BRUTAL!

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 11:17:07 AM PDT
S. Stalcup says:
Or Black Artist Ruining a White Artist's Song? Perhaps not.
After Whitney (Oh I'm smokin' crack with somebody) Houston's desecration of Dolly's "I Will Always Love You," that's a pretty narrow field.

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 11:38:49 AM PDT
W. Robinson says:
Are there any opera singers of african extraction whom could be mentioned here ?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2012 11:41:44 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
@BrownFingersDavis:

Ok, I'll tell you. Gene McDaniels sounds white on "Point of No Return". I'm sure he also sounds white on "Hundred Pounds of Clay" and "Tower of Strength".

I remember him AND the songs and he sounds whiter now than he did back then. But even then, I knew that any popularity they had were based on the song, NOT the vocal.

Here's what Charlie Gillet's Sound of the City says about him:

"Commercial gospel-styled singers who more obviously toned down their styles for the white audiences were acceptable to the black audience on the basis of individual records, but they could never been sure. Jimmy Jones, Gene McDaniels and Marv Johnson thus had hits in the black market with versions of Clyde McPhatter's style, but the singers depended on the quality of each song rather than on their own character to interest the audience and they could not rely on support without a recent hit, as the uncompromising gospel singers could."

I never actually bought a Gene McDaniels record, new or used, but I'm sure he's on some of my comps with his 3 biggest hits. He had some varied success later in his career, actually having a song of his nominated for 3 Grammys, sung by Roberta Flack, "Feel Like Makin Love". I can't seem to remember it. Later, he described himself as a hermit and died at home in 2011.

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 12:11:20 PM PDT
Steelers fan says:
Leontyne Price
Kathleen Battle

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 12:53:09 PM PDT
Barry Smith says:
"Cult of Personality" by Living Colour is definitely a rock anthem performed by some black guys.

The Chambers Brothers, a 60s band could rock out like white guys too!!

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 2:10:04 PM PDT
I believe the Chambers Brothers were in fact integrated.

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 5:18:55 PM PDT
Steelers fan says:
Regarding the Stylistics, the bigger identity issue with Russell Thompkins, to me, was gender. Is that a guy singing, or a girl? He sounded like a castrati. The only guy who could go higher was Eddie Holman.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2012 5:20:30 PM PDT
Little Richard is reputed to have revealed his secret of success: "Look like Tarzan, sing like Jane."

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2012 5:31:02 PM PDT
M.R. says:
yes and from the same album, Another Day, Another Heartache and Go Where You Wanna go are so Mamas and Papas....

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 5:37:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2012 5:41:30 PM PDT
I read in Andy Williams's obituary that he was asked to imitate Elvis Presley on the song "Butterfly". I wouldn't have thought he could be capable of this but I heard a snatch of it on ITunes and it does sound like Elvis. Kind of.

Can you say "snatch" on Amazon? Guess we'll find out!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2012 7:24:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 10, 2012 7:28:52 PM PDT
S. Stalcup says:
I wouldn't see why. Snatch and dildo. They go together, don't they?

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 7:51:43 PM PDT
There was a column in the N.Y. Times last week by a woman who claimed the least appealing word in the English language is "panties".
I know other women who also hate that word. They hate it. But I would say to any of them, "I bet you hate 'snatch' worse than 'panties'". Or the word---I'm not going to try to spell it---referring to ritualized surgical removal of the clitoris. Compared to them, "panties" seems pretty innocuous.

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 9:27:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2012 9:41:40 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
W. David English:

Personally, I think "panties" is one of the sexiest words in the English language. Unfortunately, I also think that saying it aloud in any public situation makes one sound like a pervert. Especially if you're 66.

I was thinking of different slang words that have been used for penis and vagina/clitoris and remembered a time when Rachel had a couple of women friends over as she did on a regular basis for conversation, good food, etc. Usually I didn't join them but in this instance I did for some unknown reason and the subject came to slang expressions for masturbation. A lot of the ones for men flogging their flesh were known to me (classics like "beating the bishop", etc.) but the ones for women were wonderful but
sometimes rauncy to the point of being singularly unsexy. Evidently, one of them (I printed out a list I got off the net) became a group favorite (now if only I could remember which one).

I must research this important topic again.....

I checked a youtube site and found the one I think it was....airing the orchid...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRDesWJNTyM

ed.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  42
Total posts:  133
Initial post:  Sep 26, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions