Customer Discussions > Music forum

British Invasion's "Heaviest " Band?.... The Dave Clark Five

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 168 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2009 6:42:15 AM PDT
BigBeat:

In the Early 60's, A comedian named Red Skelton had a Variety show on US TV, similiar to Ed Sullivan. I saw the Honeycombs on that show and they were awesome. I remember the Girl drummer. What a rockin song with a rockin beat.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2009 6:46:39 AM PDT
DKPETE:

The only live recording I have is an early 60's lp. I don't really know if that would tell you anything. But about 2 years before Mike Smith Died, I saw him in a little club in Piermont, NY. I can tell you, He plays piano and Organ and he could sing with the best of them.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2009 6:53:05 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 20, 2009 6:55:28 AM PDT
Joe Cuegis

re; The Zombies

In 2007, I saw the Zombies at a Hippiefest In COnn. Rod Arent (the Leader) and Colin Blunstone (the Original lead singer). They were amazing!!!!! That voice of Colin's is still as wonderful as it was in 1964. I liked them alot in those days, but like you said they had 2 hits early on in the British Invasion and they didn't return till 69 with time of the season. They did a lot of Funky R and B stuff on early lp's. But to hear, Tell Her No, She's Not There, Time Of the Season, I Love you, Whenever your Ready, Just out of Reach "LIve" was a great experience. Still IMO one of the better groups from the British Invasion that doesn't get enough credit.

Posted on Sep 20, 2009 7:49:31 AM PDT
BIGBEAT says:
And speaking of Telstar, to this day, I still get teary eyed and chills listening to it. I believe it was the first British invasion record to crack the U.S. top 40 in 1962. This song would be on my list of greatest instrumentals. Probably in my top 5.

If anyone loves this song like me check out the Los Straitjackets, My Heart Will Go On....yes, Love Theme From The Titanic. They do that song ventures style with a Telstar production twist. Its amazing!

Posted on Sep 20, 2009 8:07:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 20, 2009 8:30:12 AM PDT
Godfather says:
"The Boss" Springsteen and "Little" Stevie {Silvio} are big, big fans of the DC5, and Mike Smith in particular. Little Stevie spins a lot of DC5 tunes on his underground garage xm program. I would like to thank everyone for their comments and fabulous insight into The DC5....keep them coming, this is great info!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2009 8:12:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 20, 2009 8:40:18 AM PDT
Glen Kepic says:
You're right , Joe (and thanx for the response)
Bits and Pieces was one of many rockin' tunes The DC5 did. The song I mentioned earlier "Can't You See That She's Mine" would also qualify. I guess what i meant by IT was "Bits" was maybe the top of the list.
Thanx to BIGBEAT for the bit about this song being banned in the pubs. That got me laughing (and i agree Telstar is a musical thing of beauty).

I gotta make time today to play "25 Thumping Great Hits" all the way through.

PS-apologies to Doodah Man as well.
btw-nice pick for Tobacco Road by The Nashville Teens. I had that 45 (London Records) when I was a kid. Another stompin' tune.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2009 8:51:04 AM PDT
DKPete says:
Hi Joe...no doubt...Mike Smith was an incredible vocalist...what's the name of the album with the live stuff??

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2009 9:15:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 20, 2009 9:22:09 AM PDT
Glen Kepic says:
Hi DKPete
Nice pick with Anyway You Want It. I always loved that echo effect on the vocals (Hey Hey Heyyyyyyy). Sweeet.

I thought I had that single but when I looked I found Over And Over b/w I'll Be Yours (My Love) #5-9863 and Can't You See That She's Mine b/w No Time Lose (picture sleeve-nice Stratocaster, Lenny -sb/rw finger board) #5-9692 instead.
The Niners home season opener is today--- somehow I don't think I'll be watching much tv though.

Posted on Sep 20, 2009 1:00:24 PM PDT
a career misstep for the dc5 was their going in a walker bros. direction i.e 'everybody knows' instead of jumping on thre beatles sgt. pepper bandwagon like other brit invasion groups. Dave Clark was the most financially savvy brit muso from the 60's. fergit jagger and his brief tenure at london school of economics. the stones got screwed twice by their record co. and allen klein.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2009 1:55:48 PM PDT
DKPete says:
Jason..I have to disagree on both counts. For starters, Everybody Knows is a terrific song and adds greatly to their catalogue of hits. It's nicely written, arranged and it has great harmonies and an interesting melofdic/chord structure to boot. I actually think it's one of their most sophisiticated recordings and sits totally apart from their foot stomping thing which got repetitive amd gimmicky after a while anyway.

As far as the Sgt. Pepper bandwagon...whch British Invasion bands are you referring to? By 1967, with the exception of The Stones and The Kinks they were all pretty washed up...and The Stones attampted to board the bandwagon with Satanic Majesties and, quite honestly-in spite of the album's unique charm stylistically-they didn't fare all that well. The Moody Blues revamped themselves alltogether and created a whole other direction for themselves which may or may not owe partly to Pepper.

While The DC5 were truly a powerhouse group in the early to middle sixties, by the time The Beatles were doing things like Revolver, they (DC5) were pretty much left behind in the dust with people like Gerry and The Pacemakers, Freddie and The Dreamers, Hermann's Hermits, etc. Even the more "serious" bands like The Animals and The Yardbirds were barely hanging on, if at all.

This is not to imply by ANY means that these groups didn't produce excellent music..songs which will forever serve as the soundtrack of our growing-up lives until the final drop. They were not, however, of the heavyweight-ness in terms of songwriting vision to progress a hec of a lot more than their initial surge and, maybe, slightly beyond.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2009 3:24:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 20, 2009 3:42:55 PM PDT
Glen Kepic says:
Yikes DK,,,
"Awesome post" seems trifle here (apologies to JSR).
didn't know you were such a fan of the '60s, but glad that you are :)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2009 6:00:49 PM PDT
DKPete says:
Glen..I know I can't shut up sometimes..this stuff is incredibly fun to talk about, analyze, "argue" over (it's not really arguments anyway..just a fun-sometimes passionate-sharing of thoughts).

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2009 8:38:53 PM PDT
And of course, the Zombies gave rise to Argent, the 70s band whose biggest hit was "Hold Your Head Up." If their record co. had had the smarts to release and promote their version of "Liar" before 3 Dog Night got their paws on it, THAT would have been a huge single as well.

The Zombies distinctively breathy singer Colin Blunstone also did some solo work as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2009 9:01:23 PM PDT
I think that "Everybody Knows" was great, Lenny's voice in that, the way it almost trembles during the verses, very emotional!

Another underrated one that I really like is "Whenever You're Around."

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2009 12:45:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 21, 2009 12:58:58 AM PDT
doodah man says:
DKPete sez
"Everybody Knows is a terrific song and adds greatly to their catalogue of hits"

To which "Everybody Knows" are you referring?
Everybody Knows; slow, Lenny's vocals
Everybody Knows (I Still Love You) more upbeat, Mike's vocals

Either way, you get no disagreement, both are great.

One of my favorites, which I had entirely forgotten about until I picked up The Hits collection, is " 'Till the Right One Comes Along".
I've even developed a fondness for "Nineteen Days", which I initially thought of as one of their worst tracks ever.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2009 4:25:04 AM PDT
DKPete says:
I was referring to the "I Still Love You " one with Mike on the lead.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2009 7:11:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 21, 2009 7:14:05 AM PDT
Glen Kepic says:
DKPete sez "...this stuff is incredibly fun to talk about...".
I couldn't agree more.

btw, i had forgotten there were 2 versions of Everybody Knows. My "25 Thumping Great Hits" album has the version with the string section. Very nice. Wish i had the other version as well though. i wonder which album it was on.

Posted on Sep 21, 2009 8:37:14 AM PDT
I always liked the DC5. They were the first band to challenge The Beatles. I don't think they were as good as The Stones, The Kinks, or The Animals. Their first album was a classic. I never really got into the Zombies, though I did like Argent. I liked The Nashville Teens, and The Honeycombs. I also liked Los Bravos. Were they part of the British Invasion?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2009 8:57:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 21, 2009 9:14:20 AM PDT
ED S. says:
Los Bravos, who had the big hit "Black Is Black", were from Spain. So yes they were an 'Invasion Band' from one of Britains allies!!!!!!

I can't begin to tell you the 'legs' this song had in the Los angeles radio market. It was on playlists for years after its '65 or '66 debut. The song has a great quality about it.

"Black is black
I want my baby back"

Those aren't baby-back-ribs he is singing about.

Posted on Sep 21, 2009 9:12:39 AM PDT
V. Gable says:
Like some others here, I was there when it happened. The previous posts have been informative and entertaining, so thanks for sharing. I don't think anyone's posted these links yet... the first one is a biography from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the second one is the DC5 Hall of Fame induction ceremony with a terrific presentation by Tom Hanks and a rockin' finale with Fogerty, Mellencamp, Billy Joel and Joan Jett among others.

http://www.rockhall.com/inductee/dave-clark-five

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKTtGjYl5yU

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2009 9:29:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 21, 2009 9:31:21 AM PDT
"For starters, Everybody Knows is a terrific song and adds greatly to their catalogue of hits."

DKPete,
Are you sure you are referring to Everybody Knows and not the earlier hit Everybody Knows (I Still Love You)? The one that is just Everybody Knows is from 1968, was only a hit in England, and sounds like it could be an Englebert Humberdinck number. Unfortunately, much like Paul Revere & the Raiders (another personal fave), the DC5 were not cut out for the psychedelic/heavy direction rock took in the late 60s.

"Even the more "serious" bands like The Animals and The Yardbirds were barely hanging on, if at all."

True but by the end of 1966, the original Animals had broken up, and Eric Burdon created a new group and went (very badly) in the psychedelic direction. The Yardbirds also fell apart in 1967, but when you consider that from them came Cream, Jeff Beck Group, Led Zeppelin, and even Renaissance, they did pretty well.

Edit: Oops, read a little further and discovered you were referring to I Still Love You (a great one). Sorry.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2009 9:58:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 21, 2009 10:09:56 AM PDT
ED S. says:
Actually, when the original Animals were disbanded an the group re-formed as Eric Burdon And The Animals', the band had had a very successful string of hits right up 'till the end of the decade, (At least in the terms of airplay). Those really big and awesom songs are;

"Spill The Wine"...'I dreamed I was in a Hollywood movie'
"Montery"...'Hugh Masakelas music was as black as night.'
"San Franciscan Nights"...'Walls move, minds do too.'
"Help Me Girl"...That keyboard, that fuzz-tone.
"See See Rider"...'See what you have done, Dibbity.'
"Sky Pilot"...'How high can you fly.' (echo echo echo).
"When I Was young"..."I smoked my first cigarette at ten.'

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2009 10:02:50 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 9, 2010 3:49:32 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2009 10:05:24 AM PDT
I think Eric made 'Spill the Wine' with a band called War. While all the songs you mentioned were minor hits, Erics best work was with the original Animals.

Posted on Sep 21, 2009 10:07:38 AM PDT
J. Hix says:
Eric Burdon is as relevant and kick ass today as he was in 1965. We gotta get out of this place. Later
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  40
Total posts:  168
Initial post:  Sep 18, 2009
Latest post:  May 11, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions