Customer Discussions > Music forum

Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 120 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2011 8:54:05 PM PDT
stevign says:
JT:

The album was pretty much the usual fare for the late 70s with it's Disco, cocaine flashy threads and slick Pop oriented Rock but I liked "Outskirts" because of the ballsy guitar work. Ebony Eyes was pretty good and probably the 2nd best song on the album but like "Sentimental Lady" and the others it dated itself in a hurry.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2011 9:56:07 PM PDT
Ayinger says:
I think "Rattlesnake Shake" suffers from being one of those tunes that a band back-in-the-day would take advantage of and just jam endlessly to it. It's a sign from those times of 20 minute drum solos or keyboard extravaganzas that lasted until noon the following day....a call of 'hey: check THIS out!' But I'm with Stevign: to my ears this one Mac tune just plodded it's way far too long....

Posted on Jun 9, 2011 12:04:48 AM PDT
Ayinger,

Try the first volume of the Live in Boston CD's reasonably priced and great. Also the Live at the Shrine '69 is great. The live stuff really amps up the energy and presents the band in a new way compared to the studio songs. And as far as Rattlesnake Shake check You Tube for the version they do on Playboy After Dark with Hef and Barbie Benton introducing them. If you didn't like the song before the double entendre factor may just get to you.

The long jams were supposedly influenced by , guess who? ... who else The Dead. Mac and the Dead toured together and Mac took some of their jam style to heart. I gotta say it does go on to long but some of the jams i like just to hear Peter stretch out with Danny.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2011 7:22:56 AM PDT
stevign says:
Thanks Ayinger. I've always liked a good jam, it allows each member to stretch out a bit, but it's not that; quite frankly "Rattlesnake Shake" just isn't a good tune period.

Posted on Jun 9, 2011 8:41:47 AM PDT
EvenSteven says:
PG frickin rules.
& In defense of "Rattle Snake Shake" PG's ode to self satisfaction....lighten up critics this tune was an "in joke" in F/Mack. Green takes a blatant poke at Fleetwood in the lyrics. The tune is a hypnotic jam & does show case the power house rhythm section & the awesome tag team guitars of Green & Kirwan doing a blues jam (nothing fancy). They probobly wrote this to fill out "Then Play On" as well as the fierce jamming on "Fighting for Madge"....You have to understand, that the Green, Spencer & Kirwan line up was banned from several formidable establishments in London for out right "lude" behavior on stage & this usually occurred with Spence at the helm under the alias of "Vince & the Valliants"...I wont go into the littany of the type of pranks Spencer would pull on stage but it was the stuff of legend as they say.....The Green era was a truly democratic band in that the "3" front men all got thier due & its star (Green) was ok with this until he fried himself on LSD & was equally burned out on the stardom game as well....I digress....some of my all time FM releases are as follows;
Blue Horizon Box set 6cds including the Chess Sessions & 4 FM LP's
The Biggest Thing Since Collosus (FM w/ Otis Span)
Eddie Boyd & FM (Mike Vernon produced BH session with Green)
Then Play ON
Jumping At Shadows (FM live at the Boston Tea Party)
The 2 disc BBC set (FM)
FM live @ Shrine Auditorium
& most of the stuff he did with Mayall is good too.
Happy hunting to all.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2011 8:55:58 AM PDT
stevign says:
EvenSteven:

re: "lighten up critics this tune was an "in joke" in F/Mack."

Who cares, the song sucked. Just sayin'.........

Posted on Jun 9, 2011 9:02:34 AM PDT
EvenSteven says:
Sucked compared to what?....please enlighten us all....your opinion really counts.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2011 9:22:17 AM PDT
stevign says:
Compared to their other songs. The melody is weak, not the least bit compelling and the whole thing sounds like something a garage band is working on......and failing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqKKGDcexZs

Posted on Jun 9, 2011 10:39:47 AM PDT
EvenSteven and stevign,

What songs do you like? ... What are some of your favorites?

A lesser known one i like is, "Ramblin' Pony" ... A very derivative Muddy rip off of "Rollin' and Tumblin' " but i just love the hummin' groove.

I also like "One Sunny Day". Intense. And "Sugar Mama" from the Chess Sessions is a cool one. I also like the poppy number "Homework" from the Chess sessions. "Like it That Way" is great in any version i've heard. It is also a little derivative of Otis Rush but just a baddass song. The twin guitars and strong groove, just great.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2011 1:30:58 PM PDT
stevign says:
Anthony:

Everything on "English Rose" and..........

My Heart Beats Like A Hammer
Long Grey Mare
Looking For Somebody
No Place To Go
My Baby's Good To Me
I Loved Another Woman
Drifting
Without You
Leaving Town Blues
You're So Evil

* I see you like Cannonball Adderley......excellent. Him and Art Pepper are two of my all-time favorites; I own 16 CDs by Cannonball and 23 by Pepper. Here's one of my favs by Cannonball..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmpV67Mgsl0

Posted on Jun 9, 2011 1:42:55 PM PDT
EvenSteven says:
Good calls Stevign (the "epic" English Rose) is a fine release but Mick F is one UGLY woman!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2011 2:19:22 PM PDT
stevign says:
re: "but Mick F is one UGLY woman"

Apparently you're drinking the wrong brand of beer..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWKYGsm3Ue8

Posted on Jun 9, 2011 4:24:47 PM PDT
Very funny :) I live in San Francisco and i swear i've seen Mick's twin "Sister" walking around on Polk st. more than once over the years. Full beard and all...Scary ! For me it wouldn't matter the brand of beer it would be the amount, i guess a bakers dozen Anchor Steams and a lot of Absynth so i would be literally blind drunk.

"Long Gray Mare" great song.

Cannonball and Nat are just so eternally hip. Straight up but funky before funky was really used as music term. Any live record is a keeper. They have that gospel thing in there that soul feeling even when playing bebop. Like Ray or Charles Mingus.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2011 5:05:49 PM PDT
stevign says:
Anthony:

re: "and a lot of Absynth"

Better yet....some Agwa de Bolivia.

http://www.agwabuzz.us/cocktail

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/uimages/kitchen/01-2010_01_28-Agwa.jpg

re: "Ray or Charles Mingus"

Love 'em both like crazy. Have you ever heard Live At T.B.B.-Paris - Vol.1 and Live At T.B.B.-Paris - Vol.2? Both are intense.

Posted on Jun 9, 2011 9:31:13 PM PDT
Cool i've never heard of Agwa liquor i'll check it out. But does it make you go blind? Like Absynth supposedly did in Paris.

The Mingus big band stuff is great. His wife has really kept his legacy alive. And that band is great.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2011 9:47:21 PM PDT
stevign says:
Anthony:

re: "But does it make you go blind?"

Only if you masturbate while drinking.

re: "His wife has really kept his legacy alive"

Much like Laurie Pepper.

Posted on Jun 9, 2011 10:48:05 PM PDT
LOL . Very good :) Funny !!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2011 11:25:40 PM PDT
stevign says:
http://hellinahandbasket.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/taking-a-bow-with-a-top-hat-and-roses.jpg

Posted on Jun 10, 2011 7:04:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 10, 2011 9:09:22 AM PDT
Glen Kepic says:
a bit late here,,,but i always liked the tune Rattlesnake Shake. For me this goes all the way back to summer of '72 when i bought Then Play On...only found out in the last 10 years or so that Peter was on bass here, a Fender Bass VI, actually. Read an interview where Peter said John M didn't like him playing bass. The thing is, Peter had played bass alot in the early days, so it wasn't like he was a 'rookie' or something.
I have a Vintage Years Live cd that seems like a compressed Tea Party thing and this is on there...think it goes into a 'jam' but can't recall. I'll play Shrine '69 before this.

Guess PG only agreed to rejoin Fleetwood Mac if they didn't just play the hits, he wanted to stretch things out. Think he first quit when Mick wouldn't agree to donate money to help Biafra (the Angel Peter saw during an acid trip wanted him to do this).
Maybe i'm getting old, but i really don't care for long jams much anymore. I mentioned this comparing the studio version of Rock Bottom to the "Strangers..." version...i haven't listened to the live version in years, though can see why people like it.

Posted on Sep 5, 2012 12:58:48 PM PDT
R. Harris says:
Just amazed to see nothing about Duster Bennett on these threads and really astounded to see so little mention of him here. Your thoughts, any and all???

stevign, sorry to hear of your bad opinion of "Rattlesnake Shake", one of my favorite PG era FM songs, right up there with the other 60 or so.
And I really don't see the song as PG's blatant swipe at MF; Mick obviously liked the song just fine, performing it frequently live and including it twice on his 'solo' releases.
I think more it just fit the 'tone' of their interactions together at the time.

And I love 'garage' bands, even when they're 'failing'. Sometimes that's their defining moment;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-_0V0IXEkc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE6pYY45w34

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2012 3:05:16 PM PDT
stevign says:
re: "stevign, sorry to hear of your bad opinion of "Rattlesnake Shake","

Well I wanted to save the enjoyment of it for other people and not hog all of his songs. I'm just that kind of guy.

Posted on Sep 5, 2012 5:54:09 PM PDT
green manalishi still sends chills up my spine. Mac's VINTAGE cd features that song and other live/bbc tracks from the green era.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2012 10:57:17 AM PDT
R. Harris says:
you are so kind! Thanks! :^)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2012 11:21:56 AM PDT
stevign says:
What can I say, I am a river to my people.

Posted on Sep 6, 2012 12:08:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 6, 2012 12:10:48 PM PDT
On the subject of Fleetwood Mac's blues years, this new release by Jeremy Spencer might be of interest to some (though I'm passing, based on the sample clips).

Bend In The Road
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  29
Total posts:  120
Initial post:  May 31, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions