The Doors
Band of Horses
Pearl Jam
The Shins
Interpol
Steely Dan

Posted on Oct 2, 2011 7:48:40 PM PDT
Autonomeus says:
I am fascinated by how many bands on these lists I have never heard of -- and they're the best rock bands in America!

Cheers, Richard

Posted on Oct 3, 2011 3:04:05 AM PDT
Hands down... The Ramones!!!!, Grand Funk Raildroad and Steppenwolf!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2011 5:34:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 3, 2011 5:34:17 AM PDT
Tero says:
No, not Steely Dan. See I would take Kiss as a great rock band, though I am not a fan. I am more of a Steely Dan fan, but they had mostly hired guns. So a different category. Great studio song producers. They even had a great live album, but still, no.

Posted on Oct 3, 2011 5:35:26 AM PDT
Tero says:
My North American 7.

CCR
Eagles
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Allman Brothers
Tom Petty
Rush ( they have 1 American member now)
Aerosmith

Posted on Oct 3, 2011 7:56:09 AM PDT
Hip O Critic says:
There are not many great American Bands IMO but there are many great American solo artists. Despite the lack of numbers, the bands IMO below are/were exceptionally good.
The Allman Bros
Canned Heat
CCR
The Doors
Steppenwolf
Grand Funk Railroad
Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers
Jefferson Airplane
The Byrds
Norah Jones and The Handsome Band

Posted on Oct 3, 2011 3:45:24 PM PDT
zlh67 says:
Who is Rush's "American" member? Did they add somebody? Geddy, Alex and Neil are all Canadian...

My top American bands (favorites, not "greatest") in no order:

- Living Colour
- Concrete Blonde
- Tom Petty & HB's (I consider this a true "band" because Mike Campbell contributed a HELL of a lot in writing, not just playing what Tom wrote for him)
- Aerosmith
- KISS
- Van Halen
- Cheap Trick
- CCR
- Raconteurs
- The Doors
- ZZ Top
- Rage Against The Machine
- Styx

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2011 5:16:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 3, 2011 5:22:04 PM PDT
Tero says:
Well he lives in Los Angeles, married and American and has an American kid, so Neil is 90% American now. Besides, you don't have to give up being Canadian to be American now. You have to travel on one passport.

Posted on Oct 3, 2011 5:48:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 3, 2011 5:54:31 PM PDT
Technically, anyone born in the western hemisphere is an "American".

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2011 6:00:14 PM PDT
Hinch says:
My thoughts exactly. You beat me to it.

lol!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2011 6:01:37 PM PDT
Great minds think alike!! =o)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2011 6:30:58 PM PDT
Hinch says:
Aww shucks!! :-}

But you are correct!!

lol!

Posted on Oct 3, 2011 8:14:20 PM PDT
R. Pini says:
Aerosmith
The Ramones
BOC
Allman Brothers Band
The Beach Boys ( but is it Rock? If not, then Television)
Lynyrd Skynyrd
The Dictators
MC5
Iggy/The Stooges
Talking Heads (but is it Rock? if not, then Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers).

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2011 8:33:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 3, 2011 8:34:39 PM PDT
Hip O Critic says:
There are not many great American Bands IMO ... :
Byrds, Love, The Doors, Velvet Underground, CCR, Beach Boys, The Sonics, The Seeds, MC5, 13th Floor Elevators, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, The Heartbreakers, The New York Dolls, The Dictators, KISS, Cheap Trick, Shoes, Big Star, Allman Bros. Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd, NRBQ, Ramones, Television, Talking Heads, Blondie, The Stooges!!!, X, Minor Threat, Black Flag, Meat Puppets, Blue Oyster Cult, Husker Du, The Replacements, Soul Asylum, Social Distortion, Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane (I don't love 'em, but many do), Hot Tuna, The Wailers, Paul Revere and the Raiders, ZZ Top, Dead Kennedys, Flipper, Smashing Pumpkins, My Morning Jacket, Uncle Tupelo, Flying Burrito Bros., Doobie Bros., Soul Coughing, Fugazi, Agent Orange, Lucero, Son Volt, The V-Roys, Velvet Crush, REM, B-52s, The Minutemen, Firehose, dios, Fishbone, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Van Halen, Motley Crue, Metallica, Megadeth, The Blasters, Los Lobos, Centro-matic, Violent Femmes, Sleater-Kinney, Fastbacks, Visqueen, Young Fresh Fellows, Minus 5 ... You're right. Hard to come up with ten great ones.

Posted on Oct 4, 2011 3:25:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 4, 2011 3:33:26 AM PDT
Autonomeus says:
R. Pini, what's BOC?

I'd guess Bachman Overdrive Crew, but the Bachmans are Canadian.

Or maybe the Black O'Crowes, but they sound Irish.

Wait, wait -- Blue Oyster Cult? How about that, I thought they were British! Had to look it up -- sure thing, American.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011 5:34:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 4, 2011 5:36:41 AM PDT
Hip O Critic says:
Hip O Critic says:
There are not many great American Bands IMO ... :
James, that is just my opinion and the list you rattled off does not have a lot of "greatness" about it IMO. Your opinion, which I respect obviously differs and that is OK. I think the greatness in American music comes from absolutely brilliant individuals and is unchallenged. I could list over a 100 true great American individual artists without even thinking about it but not bands.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011 6:12:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2011 8:12:52 AM PDT
Autonomeus says:
The logical problem with your assertion, Hip, is that many bands are really individuals with rotating line-ups (Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull comes to mind), and individuals can't make music by themselves unless they're solo a cappella singers or a jazz/improv soloist like Evan Parker.

Beyond that it strikes me as some sort of extreme bias (rugged American individualism) rather than an objective assessment.

Cheers, Richard

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011 6:38:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 4, 2011 6:40:53 AM PDT
Hip O Critic says:
R Hutchinson "The logical problem with your assertion, Hip, is that many bands are really individuals with rotating line-ups".
I do agree with you on your point and it is a very good reason there were not a great deal of great USA "named" bands IMO. Elvis's bands were as tight as you could get for example. I don't understand where you are coming from with your extreme bias point. I just call it the way I see it. Cheers to you too.

Posted on Oct 4, 2011 8:06:24 AM PDT
Autonomeus says:
I just don't know what the basis is for your assertion as you provide no evidence.

Groups or individuals in the U.S., the U.K. or elsewhere -- I don't see any difference in proportions.

You can see it however you want, of course, but if you offer no evidence the rest of us have no basis for seeing it that way. And we might think you are operating on the basis of some sort of cultural bias or stereotype.

Cheers, Richard

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011 7:34:34 PM PDT
We disagree. But I'll tell you what: I would take almost any American punk band over almost any English punk band any day of the week. From The Stooges and the Ramones to Minor Threat and Husker Du, American punk and hardcore is the standard. If you don't like the genre, obviously you're not going to think any of those bands are great, but I stand by that. And I'm not trying to slag The Clash and Buzzcocks and Pistols and The Jam. I just think the U.S. bands are more ferocious and more interesting.

One other point: I think bands like Fugazi and Meat Puppets have no real competition from the other side of the pond, making music that is distincitive, challenging and exciting. I would say those two bands, along with US heavyweights like V.U., CCR and The Doors, to say nothing of bands like Sonic Youth and Dinosaur Jr., are undeniably great. And I didn't even bring up my beloved Replacements ... uh, until just now, that is.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011 7:40:41 PM PDT
What about The Tubes....and Meatloaf???
;-)

--TK

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011 7:42:11 PM PDT
I LOVE the Tubes. I think it's an S.F. Bay Area thing. Meat Loaf isn't really a band, right? I mean, he weighs as much as one, but I don't think that counts.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011 7:57:50 PM PDT
R. Rolwing says:
Don't forget Social Distortion.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011 7:58:53 PM PDT
zlh67 says:
Technically, anyone born in the western hemisphere is an "American".

----

Tell that to all the people getting shipped back to Mexico.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011 8:08:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 4, 2011 8:09:02 PM PDT
Never will, never could! Great band! In fact, they are on my original list at the start of this thread.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  72
Total posts:  174
Initial post:  Sep 29, 2011
Latest post:  Sep 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions