Customer Discussions > Music forum

What Is The Whitest Recording Ever Made by a Black Artist?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 133 posts in this discussion
Posted on Sep 29, 2012 4:30:17 AM PDT
No male can say "panties" without sounding like a pervert. And no heterosexual male can get away with saying "scrumptious". Can't be done.

My favorite phrase for female, um, self-gratification is "petting Snoopy". I found an old "Peanuts" panel in which Lucy is tickling Snoopy under the chin, both of them laughing giddily. I photocopied the panel, enlarged it, and added the caption "PETTING SNOOPY IS FUN: Do It Today!!!". I believe I might have even had a couple of T-shirts made up with this visual and gave them to female buddies of mine. But I confess nothing.

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 8:57:23 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
W. David English:

<<petting Snoopy>>

I love it! Surely it will challenge "airing the orchid".

Then again, Snoopy is a male dog, right? That would mean that a male would be more accurate using it to mean self gratification. I'll have to ask "the women" and see if they too try to ruin it by intellectualizing. I'll bet they embrace it......the phrase AND "their Snoopy".

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2012 10:12:22 AM PDT
E. Dill,
I always thought 'Pet The Poodle' said it all.
JC

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 12:52:55 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
John:

Yeah, "Pet the Poodle" is just as cute and isn't gender problematic. You'll note that they both are gentle terms. With men, it's "beat the bishop", etc.

Are guys sadistic even with themselves? I mean, I seem to remember treating my "little one" with gentleness. Then again, I've probably used the word "scrumptuous", too. And prefer romantic comedies to action flicks. Hell, I think I'll go "pet Snoopy"...

ed.

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 12:59:45 PM PDT
Good grief, Charlie Brown!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2012 1:11:27 PM PDT
ronct says:
And how do you know this? LOL!!!!

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 1:30:28 PM PDT
S. Stalcup says:
About ten years before he died, I saw George Carlin live and he had, among many terms for the deed, one of the most poetic I'd ever heard:
Waxing the dolphin under the big top.

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 2:01:00 PM PDT
I like "boxing the Jesuit", though I don't understand it. Also "five against one", "manipulating the mango", "shaking hands with the unemployed", "shellacking the cane".

Did Charlie Brown only have four fingers per hand, like many cartoon characters? "Four against one".

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 8:11:10 PM PDT
Arming one's cannon.

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 8:20:52 PM PDT
Sodenfir says:
I nominate Whitney Houston's "The Greatest Love of All." It's pure white bread, and it sounds like it should have been done by Melissa Manchester or someone of her kind. It's especially white for Whitney, since she SHOULD sound black, more so than Charley Pride or Nat King Cole.

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 8:42:38 PM PDT
In the seventies and eighties and beyond, a lot of black artists like Whitney Houston were singing fairly white-bread material, whereas other black artists were exploring funk. But the old style R&B, the Ray Charles, Coasters, Clovers, LaVerne Baker, Etta James, Otis Redding type, had kind of disappeared. No one seemed interested anymore in songs like "Yakety Yak" or "What'd I Say?". I'm curious as to why.

Music got very serious. No room anymore for funny songs like the ones Leiber and Stoller wrote for the Coasters, I was five when "Charlie Brown" appeared, and I still remember my schoolmates and i singing "Why is everybody always pickin' on me?"

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2012 4:46:37 AM PDT
S. Stalcup says:
Music got very serious because the world got very serious, or a better way would be to say it was always that way, but the Baby Boomers got serious. Hence you have Marvin Gaye doing "What's Going On?" or Sly Stone's "Don't Call Me Whitey." Factor in that many of the artists who listened to the Brill Building writers ended up the students matching (or surpassing, according to some critics) their teachers (i.e. Lennon/McCartney, Brian Wilson and other musicians who wrote their own material), those sorts of songs became a part of a period that was lost.

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 5:10:37 AM PDT
Right. If you wanted humor in music then, you had to settle for the occasional lame novelty single like "Convoy". Now we get stuff like "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer", which is staggeringly, and inexplicably, popular. Songs like "Little Egypt", or "Three Cool Cats", you never hear anymore. It's too bad, because even in a serious world you need humor. But I'm not sufficiently attuned to the pop charts to say.

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 5:25:42 AM PDT
I really miss Louis Jordan. He put out dozens of wonderful songs, many of them very funny. "Saturday Night Fish Fry". "Five Guys Named Moe". "Nobody Here But Us Chickens", "Life Is So Peculiar". They were great songs musically, but they were very clever lyrically as well. Fats Waller, too. Songs like "Everybody Eats When They Come To My House" (by Cab Calloway) have held up well because they are amusing. That song is an obvious antecedent, structurally, to Paul Simon's "50 Ways To Leave Your Lover". Simon's song was a hit in part, I think, because people do respond to the kind of wordplay in that song. You don't have to be a kid to appreciate a song that deploys clever rhyming.

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 7:07:14 AM PDT
Steelers fan says:
Bob D. was the individual singly most responsible for the growing "seriousness" of lyrics in the Sixties. All sorts of already-established singers and songwriters got more "profound". Bobby Darin and Neil Diamond come to mind.

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 7:20:48 AM PDT
I don't know. Dylan could be very funny. Alice Cooper said that when he was a kid and heard some of Dylan's songs, he thought he was a comedy songwriter. Maybe he was thinking of "Maggie's Farm" or " Brand New Leopard-Skin Pillbox Hat".

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 7:35:51 AM PDT
Steelers fan says:
Oh, I didn't mean Bob didn't try to be funny, as well, although his sense of humor was rather barbed. In this, as with everything else, the early Bob modelled himself directly on Woody Guthrie, and his "talking blues".

I even investigated myself!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2012 8:46:49 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 30, 2012 8:52:30 AM PDT]

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 8:50:16 AM PDT
Steelers fan says:
Yeah. No one laid on the irony as thick as Newman. Thirty-five or so years later, his "Short People" is still being misinterpreted.

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 8:52:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2012 8:53:33 AM PDT
Steelers fan says:
As the Sixties wore on, Darin left the finger-popping behind and changed his image. He grew his hair longer, and wore denim. He had a hit with Tim Hardin's "If I Were A Carpenter". He died early from a bum ticker. I thought that the movie with Kevin Spacey was pretty good; Spacey did his own singing.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2012 9:18:37 AM PDT
Steelers fan,
Spacey's made that movie as a tribute to his mom who was a big Bobby Darin fan. As a kid he grew up listening to his moms records played at home.
BTW, I love you posts.
John

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 9:41:50 AM PDT
Steelers fan says:
Darin was a pretty good actor. Here he is in "The Gambling Game", playing a crook. This was, I think, the first episode of "Ironside" with Elizabeth Baur as Fran Belding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhQ8k70bUVw

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2012 10:10:03 AM PDT
dwood78 says:
I was lucky to have a mom who was a diehard Whitney Houston fan. It wasn't until much later that I found out that she had problems getting a Black base.

Also Mariah Carey's early works (esp. her debut album) sound more like soft rock than R&B/soul.

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 10:17:51 AM PDT
Randy Newman's "Short People(Got No Reason To Live)" was pretty obviously a satire on the bigoted mind, but he did catch lots of flak for it. He writes in the first person on a lot of his songs, and some people assume that they are therefore autobiographical. During the "Short People" brohaha, i read an interview in which Randy said "Maybe I was right about the little pukes all along."

The problem with a song like this is the potential for abuse by people unequipped to understand the satiric element. If I were a midget or a dwarf, and my grade-school classmates decided to sing this song mockingly at me during recess, I don't think Randy Newman's good intentions would amount to much in the way of solace.

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 10:22:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2012 10:22:54 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
Wow! Amazon deleted my last post which was about Darin doing a serious take of Newman's ironic, satirical song on a sales job to slaves about how great it will be here.

I wonder why? Did someone complain? Often that's the case. Was it because I reprinted the lyrics to the song in question, "Sail Away"? I didn't give Newman credit but people print lyrics here all the time. Some offensive words in the lyric? Well, the word "w*g" is there but I'm not sure if I'd ever heard it used before the song.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  42
Total posts:  133
Initial post:  Sep 26, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions