Customer Discussions > Music forum

The Who vs. Led Zeppelin....which one do you prefer?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 474 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2011 6:02:49 PM PDT
DavRay says:
FH, thanks for pulling this up, so I don't have to go searching for it. (I'm not posting over you.)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2011 6:02:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 14, 2011 6:55:33 PM PDT
DavRay says:
@Jersey Joker,

Re: 'As a drummer myself, ....'

Check out youtube - punch in search/'Steve Allen second show Jerry Lee Lewis.'

Watch the drummer.

(Then, for better sound quality, check Steve Allen first show JLL.)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2011 6:06:59 PM PDT
Come to Phoenix where, "Get the Led out," has been a feature on local radio since the '80s. And you'll never go wrong playing Zep for any station that has lots of Native American listeners. So, here in AZ, Led Zeppelin gets played to death.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2011 6:20:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 14, 2011 6:21:05 PM PDT
I had a Ramones shirt on today at a record store in NY and, as most people know, the Ramones are from Queens. So this guy, 30's, started asking me all sorts of questions about them, like are they REALLY from Queens? because my shirt says Forest Hills, Queens on it. The guy was in shock and had no idea they were a local band. He then asked me where he can get the same t shirt so I told him. I couldn't help but think back to this conversation and that he wasn't really a fan but just liked the shirt.

Posted on Aug 14, 2011 7:00:41 PM PDT
Who

Townsend and Entwhistle = amazing

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2011 11:40:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 15, 2011 2:43:55 AM PDT
Why do Who fans have such trouble spelling the group members' names?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2011 12:58:27 AM PDT
Jersey Joker says:
All those "H"s, man.

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 1:08:39 AM PDT
firefire says:
None. They both suck BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 5:57:46 AM PDT
All of the comments here about Zeppelin's music aging better and more kids wearing Zeppelin shirts than Who shirts are ridiculous. Yeah, it's true -- Zeppelin's music has more of a burn-out legacy than the Who's, and, yes, they are infinitely more popular among "Wayne's World" lookalike types. But is that REALLY a badge of honor ? And as far as aging better, a song like "Won't Get Fooled Again" is just as relevant and as lyrically and musically powerful today as ever, whereas a good portion of Zeppelin's music simply sounds like a rhapsody for those toking on the bong for too long.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2011 6:34:31 AM PDT
The Who are my favorite of all time,,,but Zep were no doubt amazing also.The Who live in the early 70's were untouchable,check out Live at Leeds if you need proof.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2011 7:27:37 AM PDT
crater face says:
" because my shirt says Forest Hills, Queens on it. The guy was in shock and had no idea they were a local band. He then asked me where he can get the same t shirt so I told him. I couldn't help but think back to this conversation and that he wasn't really a fan but just liked the shirt. "

that was me, you wanker, I'm from forest hills and just wanted to show local pride, my neighbor Peter parker says he's gonna get you, and if he don't, I know some tough guys from Sha-na-na you don't wanna mess with.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2011 7:43:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 15, 2011 7:49:53 AM PDT
I've seen your t-shirt and if you were ever in Queens you would have been beaten up a long time ago..Probably by Sha-na-na AND the Stray Cats..

http://www.amazon.com/Hello-Lamberts-Girlfriend-White-T-Shirt/dp/B002ALJ1QQ/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1313419092&sr=8-8

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 8:15:04 AM PDT
Led Zeppelin, always! I had a very emotional attachment to their music, and still do. I have to really be in the mood to listen to The Who. When the mood strikes, I find their music very exciting and always have to turn it up loud!! Certain things they've done (Tommy, Quadrophenia) have left me cold, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2011 12:47:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 15, 2011 12:56:09 PM PDT
bass boy says:
So we're judging a band's art on how many 14 and 15 year olds are wearing T-shirts with that band's name/logo on it? If that were the case, then The Ramones would be 35 times more important than The Beatles, Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Pink Floyd and Zep.
I have to chuckle at the comment that The Who's music is dated and Zep's isn't. The opening synthesizer lines of "Baba O'Riley," "Won't Get Fooled Again" and "Who Are You" sound as fresh as any Led Zep and anything else today. Zep is great; The Who is even better. Page was a better lead player (at least in the studio) than Pete, but The Who win in all other categories - bass, vocals, drums, songwriting, passion, uniqueness. Zeppelin had cool guitar riffs, but that can't always hold everything together. You gotta have the songs and the passion. Watch The Who's live set from 1978 on "The Kids Are Alright" and see/hear that even when Moon's alcoholism started sinking in, The Who still were better and more exciting live. I have "The Song Remains The Same" and at times it is exciting, but overall, it's pretty long-winded. The Who always knew just how long to extend pieces and jam, but without become grotesque and venturing into "bad jazz" territory a la the jam bands of then and now. Heck, The Who in 2000 and at the 2001 Concert for NYC/Twin Towers concert, could still take Zeppelin of the 1970s or their more recent reunions. :)

Trivia question: What did Mick Jagger say to Keith Richards backstage at the 2001 Concert for NYC event while The Who played. "Crap! We have to follow those guys .... again!!!!" ;)

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 1:25:03 PM PDT
MC says:
'The Song Remains the Same' is an abomination.... How the west was won is exponentially better

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 1:37:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 15, 2011 1:39:33 PM PDT
OK...I'm going to try and see if I can sum up this argument in a respectful way to both sides, and hopefully most defenders on each side can agree with this:

To put it in the mildest and most tactful terms that I possibly can, the biggest advantage the Who have over Zeppelin, for those of us who care about lyrics, is songwriting. Townshend's lyrics are almost always brilliant and quite often moving.

If lyrics don't mean that much to you in your enjoyment of music, and you care more about riffs and exploratory jamming, you will most likely prefer Zeppelin.

If you care more about well-written lyrics that you can apply to your own life while still enjoying hard-hitting rock that stops short of being metal, then the Who is your band.

That's the most tactful way I can put it.

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 1:56:13 PM PDT
MC says:
Robert - Very well put, and Tactful even:)

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 3:54:56 PM PDT
As much as I love Zep, I think Pete was a better songwriter and Roger had a more intriguing voice. I have everything either of them ever released, but, I listen to The Who more. I really think it's a toss-up as to who was the better band, but, my vote would give a slight, very slight edge to The Who. As for bass players, John Paul Jones is a better over-all musician, but, The Ox was a better bass player. As a Rock and Roll bassist, Entwistle was at the top; only McCartney, whose style was informed more by his years of playing guitar before he ever picked up a bass, can rival Entwistle as an interesting bassman.

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 7:53:19 PM PDT
Working Man says:
Aren't you guys getting tired? I love Zeppelin and like the Who. Until these forums I was not aware of any kind of disslike (or worse) of Zeppelin. I always respected and enjoyed the Who and never even thought about comparing them with Led Zepplein. In my opinion both are among the greatest rock bands of all time.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2011 8:01:20 PM PDT
Working Man says:
Robert, I care about lyrics as well as great riffs. However, the two are not mutually exclusive. I like Zeppelin for what they are and respect The Who's music and lyrics. Also, so what's the problem with smoking on the bong too long? Thirthy years may have passed for me, but there are very fond memories of Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Yes, Deep Purple and Black Sabbath and hearing them today is like hanging with an old friend. The only Who album that brings back memories for me is Quadrophenia and Who's Next is really great but at that time I had only heard it song at a time on the radio. No one I knew was really more than a casual Who fan, but we were all Zeppelin fans.

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 8:14:22 PM PDT
Dazedcat says:
As a teenager I was surrounded by Zeppelin worshipping friends and other assorted heads. I liked Zeppelin a lot but I loved The Who. Zeppelin made great music in the studio as did The Who. On stage though? Sorry not even close. Jimmy Page dragging a violin bow over his guitar strings for 20 minutes does not jamming improv music make and neither did the 15 minute drum solo in Moby Dick. The Who at their peak as a band on stage were untouchable.

Townshend was probably the greatest rock writer of them all. His writing around the time of Lifehouse (Who's Next) was probably as good as rock music ever got to.

Zeppelin were a great band worshipped by more, but The Who were immortal. One thing I give Zep credit for though, their drummer died and they quit forever. I wish to God Townshend and the rest of the band had done the same for Moon.

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 8:35:00 PM PDT
Fischman says:
Two great bands, but the Who wins by a length.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2011 9:13:43 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 15, 2011 9:14:13 PM PDT]

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 9:21:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 15, 2011 9:22:32 PM PDT
S. O'Brien says:
I think old people will pick The Who while the younger crowd will say Led Zeppelin.

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 9:30:41 PM PDT
bsteinwr says:
The Aftermath just released their first album (Tracks) tonight. It's definitely indie/folk. Kind of reminds me of bright eyes and bob dylan. My friend does all the stuff himself, no studio magic involved. Really great stuff, you should check it out. I've actually listened all the way through a couple times not because it's my buddy but because i really like it. search "Tracks The Aftermath"
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  153
Total posts:  474
Initial post:  Aug 9, 2011
Latest post:  Sep 5, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions