Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Music forum

Elvis Presley

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 4:00:03 PM PDT
DK Pete says:
D.Mok, I'll say this and and simply "let it go" since it's getting disappointingly obvious that you have no intention of respecting anyone's opinions around here other than your own....if I'm wrong, I apologize...but that is how you tend to come across.

I am, very admittedly, a huge Beatle fan. I think the Lennon dominated material had as much to offer as the McCartney dominated material...oftentime in very different ways Their biggest strength was how near-perfectly they complemented one another. But I'm getting predictable here; I'm not saying anything that hasn't been written about endlessly and which I'm sure you're aware of (albeit disagree with).

That said, neither The Beatles as a band or as solo artists (including Lennon) are the end-all and be-all of music-sixties or otherwise. They simply happen to be number one in my particular book..and, "they", encompasses their overall catalog as a group. There were times when McCartney clearly outshone Lennon as well as the other way around (again...in MY opinion).

While I don't feel anywhere nearly as strongly about their solo output, I've remained faithful and have taken the good, the great and the horrendous (I will grant you that one of Rock's lowest creative moments from any major artist was the Some Time in NYC album which Lennon recorded with Yoko during, I believe to be, the most naive period of his-or anyone's- entire career).

I have no problem with you hating Lennon-for whatever reasons-as long as you have no problem with me, generally speaking, liking him. And along with that, just as I have no intention of putting you down for your thoughts and feelings, I expect the same from you for mine.

Does that sound even remotely fair enough?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 4:02:03 PM PDT
DK Pete says:
zl...great list. Hey Bulldog...I Want You...AYBCS...not only great Rock songs but great examples of The Beatles as solid musicians.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 4:03:02 PM PDT
DK Pete says:
Starman...thanks for the laugh...I needed it after a very long, hot day in the welding shop.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 5:20:46 PM PDT
Severin says:
While "Sometime In New York City" isn't very creative and dated itself immediately it was at least heartfelt, not just another pop album churned out to make more money. I do like the song 'New York City' which I always thought of as "The Ballad of John & Yoko Part 2." Both songs list events in their lives like travelogues. Songs like 'Born In A Prison,' 'Sisters, O Sisters,' 'We're All Water' and 'Attica State' are silly but 'The Luck of the Irish,' John Sinclair' and 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' aren't a complete waste of effort. I don't even mind 'Angela.' I think Lennon meant it to be disposable like the newspaper cover it sports.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 6:26:49 PM PDT
DK Pete says:
Donald, it's not so much the songs themselves that I have a problem with. While I honestly never cared for the Yoko material, at least three of John's songs have a great feel to them-particularly NYC and John Sinclair.

What bothers me about it (and, no, not that I'm really losing sleep over it) is that John really seemed to be taken in by a lot of so-called, self-proclaimed activist phonies at this point in time. Of course at the time, I was too young to really look at it analytically. But in hindsight, I felt that, in many ways, he was making a bit of a fool of himself by supporting his new-found "friends". In the end of it all, it amounted to not much of anything and ended up causing him a lot of needless trouble.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 7:08:23 PM PDT
Oh, you knew my Dad?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 7:22:08 PM PDT
Severin says:
Yeah he was a bit of a tool but I thought he'd wised up after writing 'I Found Out.'

"I told you before, stay away from my door
Don't give me that brother, brother, brother, brother.
The freaks on the phone, won't leave me alone
So don't give me that brother, brother, brother, brother. No!
I found out!"

Here's a quote from John in 1980: "I dabbled in so-called politics in the late Sixties and Seventies more out of guilt than anything else. Guilt for being rich and guilt for thinking that peace and love isn't enough, and you have to go and get shot or get punched in the face to prove I'm one of the people. I was doing it against my instincts." Prophetic words in retrospect.

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 4:19:01 AM PDT
Blue Jay Way says:
This thread is hardly an Elvis Presley discussion.

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 4:28:56 AM PDT
Blue Jay Way says:
It is sad becuase I was really looking forward to this discussion from the very beginning. Im also a huge Beatles fan, but come on their is a whole Beatles forum if people want to discuss and talk about them. This is really annoying reading the same post over and over again by the same people discussing the same subjects in a thread that has nothing to do with the Beatles. That is one of the reasons sometimes I get fed up with them and need a break from their influence.

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 4:48:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2012 4:49:19 AM PDT
D. Mok says:
> you have no intention of respecting anyone's opinions around here other than your own...

What you want is for me to meekly acknowledge that John Lennon is the genius you think he is. Screw that. To ask for civility from me, after zlh67's posts about "diddling your mother", is rank hypocrisy. You just never call him out on his odious attitude because he happens to have the same opinion as you on John Lennon.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012 4:51:05 AM PDT
Severin says:
Please feel free to get us back on track. What do you have to share about Elvis?

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 5:38:46 AM PDT
ELIVS PRESLEY was my favorte singer i still love him if he would send me a pitcure of him i would like it i listen to his songs love allways.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012 8:06:55 AM PDT
dallas says:
Maryamstrong
Elvis was one of my favorte singer's i loved all his movie's and have a lot of them as well as cds

RIP Elvis.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012 8:50:30 AM PDT
zlh67 says:
D Mok - my "diddling your mother" comment wasn't a low-blow shot at you or your mother so much as my attempt at an example of about the only thing I could think of that could possibly justify your extreme and inflammatory attitude towards Lennon. All in all, you don't need to justify your opinion of Lennon's music or your personal feelings about him as a person, but when you clearly work so hard to find any excuse you can to turn a non-Lennon thread towards Lennon so you can then (once again) unload your intensely deep and personal hatred of not just someone's music, but the very core of who they are as a person, well... I guess you make some people (or at least me) wonder exactly what the deal is. Lennon has always been something of a polarizing person and definitely is around these forums, but you take it to new levels.

As others here - not just me - have commented, your takes are so extreme and confrontational, that much of it reeks of troll, but I nevertheless genuinely wanted to know where it was all coming from, so against my better judgment, I engaged you once again. And your subsequent comments didn't really hold much water; to me anyway, they seemed like reasons you were fishing for to justify a previous position rather than actual reasons for why you've come to hate Lennon so very much. Ex: when I clarified that Lennon's comment about "more popular than Jesus" was actually made with reference to The Beatles' popularity with British kids IN Britain, you quickly declared "Oh, that's a backpedal," etc. etc. and stated that he just made that up after the fact. Well, he was talking to a British journalist, IN Britain in an interview for a BRITISH publication, so... his explanation sure SEEMS logical to the open mind. However, rather than take a man at his word about a perfectly logical and reasonable clarification of his comments, you just throw this blatant assumption of yours that he MUST have just made it up. Why? Because it's the only scenario that allows you to hang on to your reason #4 for hating John Lennon. Anything that might dispel any of your reasons, you don't want to hear about or will blindly dismiss, which makes you just as bad as all the people you say blindly worship Lennon. You're just on the other side of the fence, that's all.

And yes, your posts do reek of an elitist attitude. It's not "I don't like John Lennon," it's "John Lennon sucks and has no talent" and "John Lennon was dead weight in the Beatles" when, if nothing else, his contributions to the songs written by your choice of idol (Paul McCartney) alone proves he was far from dead weight in the Beatles. PAUL certainly didn't think he was dead weight, but I guess D Mok would know more about that than Sir Paul. Your take that Lennon was completely devoid of any talent seriously implies that anyone who likes him is just flat out wrong, and that's the lack of respect for the opinions and tastes of others that DKPete referenced and is also why people here are now associating you with another well-known troll in these parts.

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 9:02:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2012 9:08:44 AM PDT
D. Mok says:
> I guess you make some people (or at least me) wonder exactly what the deal is.

B.s. If you were merely "wondering exactly what the deal is", you would write, "Why do you hate John Lennon so much?" Not "Did John Lennon diddle your mother?"

You want an all-out war, you got one. Just don't try to disguise your own brutishness as if you were the civil one.

> his contributions to the songs written by your choice of idol (Paul McCartney)

And...we have more of zlh's idiotic assumptions. I don't idolize McCartney, not even close. I like one out of about eight of his songs. Just because I do consider Paul McCartney a genius doesn't mean I like his work. McCartney's songwriting just happens to have a sophistication of melody that is clearly the product of a strong musical mind. But if McCartney were my idol, I wouldn't dislike The Beatles so much, would I? I couldn't even name 10 Beatles songs I liked, Lennon or not. But logic doesn't really matter to you, does it, you anti-intellectual ignoramus?

Then again, you're from the state bright enough to elect George W. Bush and Rick Perry as governors. Go figure.

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 9:39:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2012 2:46:38 PM PDT
zlh67 says:
Oh boy, I'm in it now. D Mok has declared... "war".

What are you, 15? You wanna meet outside the cafeteria after school?

I guess do what you think you gotta do, mr. tough guy.

>>> Then again, you're from the state bright enough to elect George W. Bush and Rick Perry as governors. Go figure.

Ooh, an attempt at humor (Keyword: attempt). I like it. Ok, yeah, I live in Texas. Not sure what state you live in (other than "angry"), but I know you're from the country that elected one of them president. What's your point?

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 9:47:12 AM PDT
D. Mok says:
> you wanna meet outside the cafeteria after school?

How? You've never set foot within a half-mile radius of a school. It's a place for the "elite".

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012 11:56:07 AM PDT
Severin says:
"Boys, boys, you're scaring the straights."

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 12:39:49 PM PDT
D. Mok says:
> but I know you're from the country that elected one of them president.

And who said I was?
Presumptions, presumptions. I can't count the number of times you've fallen flat on your face with your oh-so-bright presumptions. This is what happens when you're content to be stupid instead of aiming for intelligence -- er, I mean "elitist".

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012 12:50:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2012 12:52:43 PM PDT
Well said, Eric.:) (referring back to his post about the last lines in "God" from Plastic Ono Band) Actually, it's more like -well said, John.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012 1:08:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2012 3:16:30 PM PDT
zlh67 says:
D Mok --- your very own profile says you're in L.A., so... not really an assumption at all.

Ok, so that doesn't necessarily mean that's actually where you're "from", but if you RESIDE in CA, that's part of the U.S. last I checked, and that makes you part of a country that elected Bush as prez.

Much the same way that I reside in Texas, but am actually NOT "from" here as your very own "B.S. assumption" stated. I live in Texas and freakin' LOVE it, but I was actually born elsewhere.

And btw: there's a difference between being educated, knowledgeable, etc. and constantly sporting a think-you-know-it-all, "I'm better than everyone else" attitude, but you clearly don't see the distinction. I got no problem with the former. Unfortunately, you tend to come off more like the latter.

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 1:21:32 PM PDT
S. Stalcup says:
Have an old copy of the Sun Sessions on CD as well as the live record All Shook Up where he loses it on "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" because some guy took off his toupee while Elvis was singing. Have contemplated looking for the last show at Market Square Arena since it's gone just like him now.

He was more my mom's generation, and she was more into Sir Cliff.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012 3:03:44 PM PDT
DK Pete says:
Find ONE post where I used the word, "genius". Whatever. You'll be more than happy to know that we're done.

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 5:51:44 PM PDT
If he was such an astute 'film maker' he would be busy perfecting his craft and not spending all his time on here with us 'low lifes'. Must be in a creative slump.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012 7:12:51 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 10, 2012 8:05:33 PM PDT]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  86
Total posts:  2100
Initial post:  Aug 4, 2012
Latest post:  27 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions