Customer Discussions > Music forum

The Who vs. Led Zeppelin....which one do you prefer?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 474 posts in this discussion
Posted on Aug 19, 2011 7:55:08 PM PDT
Fischman says:
No a whole lot. Unless it's my boss during my annual performance review!

Posted on Aug 19, 2011 8:11:12 PM PDT
Butterfly says:
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin [Full Album]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A25HC-INCaY&feature=channel_video_title

Posted on Aug 19, 2011 8:26:59 PM PDT
Daltry could really belt 'em out, but Zeppelin always provided deeper broader depth to their music and a otherworldly mood that the Who, with their earthy street sound, couldn't match. Loved 'em both and they were my two favorite bands growing up in the 70's.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2011 10:00:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 19, 2011 10:04:42 PM PDT
bass boy says:
The Who really did think it was the end in 1982, at least as a full-time working band each and every year. Watch the 1982 interview footage of Townshend in the "Amazing Journey" documentary, where Pete says, "Bye, bye, I can't wait to get out (of The Who.)" Entwistle was quoted in The Who's cover story in Rolling Stone in 1982, saying he wouldn't wait on The Who for future projects. It's just odd that so many people are almost bitter to this day that The Who wanted, eventually, to tour again, as if Townshend personally broke into their home and stole everything. Holding someone to what they said 29 years ago, in the grand scheme of things, is a bit silly. Heck, most bands have said that or similar things - Bowie, Tom Petty, Kiss, and I like those hands, too. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2011 8:35:37 AM PDT
Jersey Joker says:
Howard,
Right - to me, it's Zeppelin's studio output that grabs me! ZOSO (or "4", or whatever ya wanna call it) has "Stairway To Heaven", which I LIKE (well, when Bonzo comes in, anyway) .... but Side 2 is phenomenal, with "Four Sticks" and "When The Levee Breaks".

I'm with Rare Goat here, too -- Bonham's work on "Levee..." just seems to carry it.

But Howard ... easy on the air guitar behind the wheel...! : )

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2011 8:43:35 AM PDT
Jersey J. Correct! Zeps studio recordings , on their first 4 albums show just how great a producer Page can be ! The first time I saw LZ was at Music Carnival near Cleveland and the James Gang opened for them. Joe Walsh played every bit as well as Page , and I believe Page was some what taken aback by Walsh's virtuosity ( plus Walsh was playing the same equipment as Page had ). The second time I saw LZ was on the Physical Graffitti tour when Page had a broken finger on his right hand, but sounded great in spite. Have been driving for 44 years and not one accident ,yet!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2011 8:44:43 AM PDT
Jersey Joker says:
Working Man,

Couldn't agree more. What you say here is basically what I said a few posts back, although you use the work "jealous", whereas I used the word "passion".

People can argue who's technically better, who wrote the better tunes, who's more versatile, who was more prolific (we're steering there now branching out to Beatles vs Stones), etc, etc.

But when it comes to "who's your favorite" ... that's "opinion". And it's funny when someone won't allow someone else's "opinion" to be different from theirs, to the point of arguing about it .... over and over and over again.

That's when ya gotta suspect it's more about personal issues of insecurity than actual opinion.

Peace!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2011 10:09:42 PM PDT
zlh67,

You're right -- the Beatles' streak was unparalleled, but so was everything they did (in my opinion). When I mention the Stones' streak, you'll notice I preface it by saying "as far as all-out rock 'n roll is concerned...".

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2011 10:14:20 PM PDT
a woman having multiple orgasms...hmmm...yeah...definitely a BAD thing...oy vey...

Posted on Aug 21, 2011 12:38:01 AM PDT
K. Neubauer says:
The Who!

Posted on Aug 21, 2011 10:51:49 AM PDT
zep,
the who.
but both of these bands are sooo good.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2011 6:02:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 21, 2011 6:05:24 PM PDT
Shining Star says:
As far as Rock goes, Bob Dylan's steak from 1963 to 1967 is beyond historic and impressive. The 7 albums he released in that time period changed the way popluar music and songwriting were thought of and conceived. That was the true turning point in great songwriting becoming the focal point of albums. He was the standard setter.

Posted on Aug 22, 2011 10:29:36 AM PDT
Having recently watched the who at Isle of Wight-1970 concert, which is supposed to be one of their best performances, I can say without reservation that Led Zeppelin on their worst night is better than the who on their best night. For all Petes windmills and jumping around his playing doesnt justify all the histrionics. The rest of the band except Entwhistle, goes through the same histrionics but, the music just doesnt rock enough to justify their efforts. I can see why Moon looks bored during parts of the show. I can see why he wanted to work with Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page instead of Pete. the who smash their guitars and kick over their drumkits but, the music doesnt justify the antics. To all the people who keep claiming the who are hard rockers-you must have a low tolerance to whats heavy/hard rock.
Led Zeppelins music seems more enjoyed by a wider cross section of people than the who. My experience is that more people of color like Led Zeppelin and in talking with African American, Hispanic and Asian fans they say Zep has more funk, soul, blues, and metal/hard rock in their music than the who.
Isnt it ironic that when describing a band who is supposed to be the biggest band of the decade they are compared to Led Zeppelin and not the who. Example, Metallica was called the Led Zeppelin of the 90s.
Its ok to like the who and their music but, please dont compare them with real hard rock/metal bands like Zep, Black Sabbath and Deep Purple. Theyre more like the Beatles with their pop rock songs. As for Zeps lyrics, Tommy has to have the most cheesy lyrics ever.
As for all this best/most influential streak of albums one needs to look no further than Black Sabbaths first 6 albums which started a whole genre of music and Judas Priests first 7 albums which took that genre in new directions.
Have a great day everyone!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2011 11:03:21 AM PDT
zlh67 says:
"Yeah, well, that's like... your opinion man."

-- The Dude

Posted on Aug 22, 2011 5:37:21 PM PDT
Having recently watched the who at Isle of Wight-1970 concert, which is supposed to be one of their best performances, I can say without reservation that Led Zeppelin on their worst night is better than the who on their best night.

Stephen, The last time that Led Zeppelin played in Chicago, I was there. Not to put too fine a point on it, THEY SUCKED!!! It was at the old Chicago Stadium, which admittedly was not the greatest venue, but, they obviously didn't do a sound check. The sound was so muddy that when they played "Stairway To Heaven", you couldn't even tell what it was until the last verse. Jimmy kept stopping to go over and grab a swig of whiskey, often in the middle of songs. Sorry Stephen, but, I've seen Zep on their worst night and they were beyond worthless. If I didn't love their albums, that show might have put me off them forever, it was that bad.

Posted on Aug 22, 2011 5:47:32 PM PDT
MC says:
On the great nights the Who were transcendent, there was nothing like them, or as good,on their great nights Led Zeppelin moved me in ways no other band ever.....

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2011 10:57:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 23, 2011 10:59:28 AM PDT
bass boy says:
So why does The Who become a lesser band just because you think they shouldn't be tagged as "real hard rock/metal"? Why the name tags? It's all rock music - The Who, Zeppelin, Purple, Sabbath, The Clash, Elvis Presley, etc.? That's odd, the claim that The Who are "pop rock." Maybe a few stray singles from the 1960s, but there's nothing pop about "Who's Next," "Quadrophenia," the F-bombs in "Who Are You," etc. That's rock, friends. :)

P.S. I am amused by the claim that The Who have cheesy lyrics but Zep don't. I don't think I've ever heard that before, but hey, to each his/her own. We're all friends here. I do love both bands. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2011 5:28:17 PM PDT
bass boy said: P.S. I am amused by the claim that The Who have cheesy lyrics but Zep don't. I don't think I've ever heard that before, but hey, to each his/her own. :)

I hear that Gollum and the Evil One prefer Townshend when they aren't creeping up and slippin' away with folks.

Posted on Aug 23, 2011 5:54:18 PM PDT
Working Man says:
yawn

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2011 6:08:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 23, 2011 6:09:12 PM PDT
DavRay says:
@Steve Mcnary,

Re: "I can say without reservation that Zep on their worst night is better than the who on their best night."

"On the drums/Isle of Wight: Moon is bored."

"More people of color like Zep."

"Its ok to like the who, but pls dont compare them to Deep Purple."

"Tommy has to have the cheesiest lyrics ever."

@Steve M., They were an average band, alright. Don't see why you feel the need to draw and quarter them.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2011 6:15:55 PM PDT
mr. critic: Roger Daltrey was interviewed in MOJO magazine this month, and he said the Who's manager, Kit Lambert, would tell Peter Townshend that he should write songs for "blokes", that not all pop songs had to be aimed at the female teen demographic. And I think that's true---I can't see females buying the Who singles. They'd prefer the Beatles or the Monkees or Donovan or the Association or Simon and Garfunkel, right? Did they really want to buy "My Generation" or "Magic Bus"?

Posted on Aug 23, 2011 7:25:48 PM PDT
THE WHO by far!

Posted on Aug 23, 2011 8:50:58 PM PDT
willm says:
Both overrated,but were best on their first few albums...

Posted on Aug 24, 2011 8:25:46 AM PDT
DavRay says:
Hard to be 'overrated' when they're the best.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2011 8:51:19 AM PDT
Dmitri says:
I know what I am suppose to say......Led Zeppelin

Sorry, I like The Who. They are more original if not as heavy, profound, and macho as Led Zep.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  153
Total posts:  474
Initial post:  Aug 9, 2011
Latest post:  Sep 5, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions