Customer Discussions > Music forum

Beatles VI (or is it #9?)

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 24, 2013 3:04:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2013 4:11:37 AM PST
Hinch says:
We just closed another Beatles thread. I don't know how many this makes, but who's counting? Apparently no one.

Someone thought this may be the 6th thread, and suggested using "Beatles VI" as the title. I was thinking it was closer to being the 9th thread and was thinking of calling it "#9", so I compromised, thus the title.

I didn't want the title to be based only on the number of threads so, on a hunch, I decided to count their Capitol and Parlophone albums.

Check this out......

#1. Please Please Me ~ Parlophone ~ March 22, '63
#2. With The Beatles ~ Parlophone ~ Nov 25, '63
#3. Meet The Beatles ~ Capitol ~ Jan 20, '64
#4. The Beatles Second Album ~ Capitol ~ Apr 10, '64
#5. A Hard Day's Night ~ Parlophone ~ Dec 4, '64
#6. Something New ~ Capitol ~ July '64
#7. Beatles For Sale ~ Parlophone Dec 4, '64
#8. Beatles '65 ~ Capitol ~ Dec 15, '64
#9. Beatles VI ~ Capitol ~ June 14, '65

Coincidence or another "clue"?

:-)

Either way it's interesting.

Feb 9th marks 49 years since The Beatles' first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show and the beginning of The British Invasion. American r&b, rock&roll and blues influenced The Beatles and other British bands. In turn, British bands helped reinvigorate American rock. The 60s were a time when artists from both sides of the ocean were influencing each other, creating a revolution in music and culture.

The discussion continues on The Beatles, their music and all the other great artists and music we love....and some we may not like so much. lol!

Everyone is welcome to join in. Enjoy!
----------------------------------------------

edit;

Yeah I know. I unintentionally left out EARLY BEATLES, as a couple of people were kind enough to inform me. That's what I get for relying on Wikipedia, which left it off the list of studio releases. After someone mentioned I had left it out, I looked and it was listed under "compilations".

Oh well! So I made a mistake.

The title of the thread was meant to be humorous or tongue-in-cheek. We all know about "#9" and the other "clues" concerning "Paul Is Dead", most of which are not based on fact. If you're looking for fact, maybe you should stick to historical documents like this;

Paul McCartney Really Is Dead: The Last Testament of George Harrison

lol!

Sometimes it's best not to take everything so seriously. I don't know about everyone else but I'm on here to relax and have some fun.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2013 3:15:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 24, 2013 3:16:56 AM PST
You forgot to include The Early Beatles which came out between '65 and VI so VI is really the 10th Parlophone/Capitol Beatles album. Unless you also count The Beatles Story in which case it is the 11th (This one goes up to 11). Then there are the Vee Jay albums. And the Hard Day's Night album on United Artists. This could take a while.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2013 3:34:32 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 24, 2013 5:05:56 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2013 4:30:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 24, 2013 9:47:06 PM PST
Steve Vrana says:
But if you do not count THE EARLY BEATLES, BEATLES VI should have been titled BEATLES V. However, THE EARLY BEATLES is no more of a compilation than any of the other first five Capitol albums. THE EARLY BEATLES is simply a modification of the Parlophone PLEASE PLEASE ME. Of the eleven tracks on THE EARLY BEATLES, only "Twist and Shout" is not on PLEASE PLEASE ME.

[Oops! I posted this while looking at my vinyl copy of THE EARLY BEATLES and my mono box copy of PLEASE PLEASE ME...and I wasn't wearing my glasses! Of course "Twist and Shout" is on both. But the point remains: THE EARLY BEATLES is not a compilation, just an altered version of PLEASE ME...no mater what wikipedia says!]

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 4:34:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2013 12:56:47 AM PST
Hinch says:
So sue me. Lol!

Yeah, I know. Honest mistake. Thanks for letting me know.

I don't think I ever owned EARLY BEATLES until the 70s. I already owned the VJ album INTRODUCING THE BEATLES, with the same tracks. It just seemed like an album put out by Capitol to make money, but then I guess all their Capitol albums were.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2013 4:35:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 24, 2013 6:13:34 AM PST
'Twist and Shout' closes the "Please Please Me" LP .
"The Early Beatles" is a watered down version of the first UK album, missing tracks are 'I Saw Her Standing There', 'Misery', and 'There's a Place'.

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 4:41:24 AM PST
I guess it's quite a responsibility to name these threads. LOL. By the way as most Beatles fans probably already know 9 was John's fave number.

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 4:49:38 AM PST
Hinch says:
Lol! Just tryin to have some #9 fun. So should I edit the intro or leave it?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2013 4:56:36 AM PST
I'd just leave it , but it's up to you.

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 5:05:40 AM PST
It's fine. You took the initiative to do it. I say thank you.

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 5:08:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 24, 2013 5:35:39 AM PST
Hinch says:
Bernard and Stephen

Thanks!!

I was going by the discography on Wikipedia, and it didn't list EARLY BEATLES. I had forgotten about that one. It's listed under compilations. It actually is their 5th Capitol album(6th if you count THE BEATLES STORY). Not sure why it's listed as a compilation.

So I made a mistake. That must be an historical event. Imagine someone making a mistake.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2013 5:10:53 AM PST
Twist and Shout is on Please Please Me. The Early Beatles was released by Capitol after it won the US rights from Vee Jay for The Beatles earliest Parlophone recordings. However it dropped three songs from the original PPM album - I Saw Her Standing There (which Capitol had already released on Meet the Beatles), Misery, and There's a Place.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2013 5:19:02 AM PST
Hinch
As I write there's still room for 9 more posts, on the other thread, not closed just yet.
I had a lyric trivia question not far from the end that no one could answer.
I thought you might have been able to get the answer.....

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2013 5:24:39 AM PST
Considering 'The Early Beatles' only ran for an estimated 26 minutes, Capitol should have added at least one more song on the album.
'There's a Place' would have been a good addition.
I thought it was one of the best songs on the first UK album.

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 5:34:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 24, 2013 5:36:38 AM PST
Hinch says:
EARLY BEATLES and THE BEATLES STORY are the only Capitol albums not to reach #1 or #2 in America. EB reached 43. BEATLES STORY reached 7.

EARLY BEATLES is probably considered a compilation because all the tracks had previously been released in America on VJ, so it was their first Capitol album released without material new to America.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2013 6:20:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 24, 2013 6:21:02 AM PST
When you think about it, "Something New" had some tracks that were not really new to American listeners.
Five tracks on it were already on the US 'Hard Day's Night' album issued by United Artists.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2013 7:09:33 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Apr 28, 2013 3:15:15 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2013 8:06:59 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Hinch:
leave it....details...details.....who cares about 'details'......? :)
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2013 8:08:42 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Hinch:
i can't imagine it....can you?
love,
joyce
p.s., thanks for naming another one...it's a good name....you can just say you were naming it after the forum, and it almost matched up with the albums...almost is good enough...

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 8:44:24 AM PST
Dr. Mikey says:
I think I would just let it be, Hinch. People have been trying to get more out of the number 9 than it merits for years. Allan Williams even tried to start a rumor that the hospital room where John was born was room #9.

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 8:52:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 24, 2013 8:54:29 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Rokroller, and Everyone:
to Rokroller:
thanks for the Julian link (from 1999) you left on the last forum...it was interesting...i think he has 'mellowed' a bit, since then, but it's still interesting to listen to...can't believe it was almost 14 years ago! (just wanted to make sure i thanked you for the link with Julian from that forum...also, i hope you had a really really wonderful birthday!)
to Everyone:
i closed out the old forum just now...check it out, when you can. hope you like it.....
love,
joyce

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 8:55:52 AM PST
rokroller says:
The Beatles - "Something New" (U.S. Stereo LP - Capitol) [Full Album]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXmrL_5dYk0

01. 00:00 "I'll Cry Instead"
02. 01:48 "Things We Said Today"
03. 04:25 "Any Time At All"
04. 06:39 "When I Get Home"
05. 08:57 "Slow Down"
06. 11:55 "Matchbox"
07. 13:53 "Tell Me Why"
08. 16:03 "And I Love Her"
09. 18:37 "I'm happy Just to Dance With You"
10. 20:36 "If I Fell"
11. 22:56 "Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand"

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2013 9:20:37 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Apr 28, 2013 3:15:28 PM PDT]

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 9:38:18 AM PST
rokroller says:
Julian Lennon - I Don't Wanna Know
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR5AEfPU_TQ

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2013 9:46:12 AM PST
Gena Chereck says:
LOL!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 400 Next ›
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  39
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Jan 24, 2013
Latest post:  May 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions