Customer Discussions > Music forum

Madonna , immaculate collection remastered,, anyone else excited?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 38 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 11, 2012 8:35:22 PM PST
Holiday 0:00 Luck Star 3:58 Borderline 7:30 Like A Virigin 11:22 Material Girl 14:30 Crazy For You 18:19 Into The Groove 21:57 Live To Tell 25:59 Papa Don't Preach 31:04 Open Your Heart 35:09 La Isla Bonita 38:56 Like A Prayer 42:37 Express Yourself 48:22 Cherish 52:21 Vogue 56:07 Justify My Love 1:01:22 Rescue Me 1:06:15 :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 5:32:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2012 5:36:39 AM PST
club 7 says:
totally. but when? love madonna and this flawless collection was overdue for better sound. worth it just to hear into the groove which is one of the best dance songs ever!

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 8:18:09 AM PST
vivazappa says:
Nope...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 8:31:24 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
A remastered Immaculate Collection is totally unnecessary, in my opinion. Her 2009 2-disc greatest hits collection, Celebration, contains 16 out of the 17 tracks on Immaculate Collection and all are fully remastered (the only track not included is "Rescue Me").

If Warner Bros. is gonna release remastered Madonna albums, they should focus on Like a Prayer, Erotica, and Ray of Light. Those need it badly!

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 9:07:44 AM PST
B. rogers says:
Like A Prayer! Like A Prayer! One of the best albums of all time.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 9:12:55 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
I honestly don't get all the love for the Like a Prayer album. The title track and "Express Yourself" are incredible and iconic songs, but the rest of the album is extremely weak, IMO. I find Ray of Light, Erotica and Confessions on a Dance Floor are her best albums, personally.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 9:23:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2012 9:24:38 AM PST
B. rogers says:
The title track is my favorite Madonna song, but for *me* the album plays beautifully and seamlessly from beginning to end. I think the only song that's close to being "weak" is the duet w/Prince. "Erotica" is my third favorite after "True Blue". I think those three albums were the era where she was at her absolute peak. "Ray Of Light" bores me...I actually prefer "Music". "Confessions" was a nice little comeback.

All said, I just don't have the love for Madonna from "Ray Of Light" onward. I don't like the way she changed her singing voice, tbh. She still is a spectacularly delicious live performer, though!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 9:49:26 AM PST
MarcTheKing says:
GarrionOrb: I agree that Celebration is a far more entertaining collection. It also includes "Dress You Up", some great singles from her post 1990 peiod...this remastered edition of Immaculate Collection (which is a really entertaining title, btw) is redundant. The sound on "Celebration" is fully realized and unless this new edition is released as an SACD, its no really necessary. Perhaps this is just a cash grab in lieu of the poor sales of her 2012 disc MDNA.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 11:20:41 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
"Perhaps this is just a cash grab in lieu of the poor sales of her 2012 disc MDNA."

Doubtful. MDNA is published by Universal while Immaculate is by Warner Bros. Sales of one wouldn't offset sales of the other, and Madonna has already made a killing with both MDNA and the supporting tour.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 11:30:46 AM PST
Nope...

to me, there is a very thin line between Madonna and Al Yankovic. That's why his spoof of her's was so dumb. There was just nowhere to go on the silliness scale.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 11:32:46 AM PST
Not in the least...

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 11:42:17 AM PST
i guess where there's a will, there's a way.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 11:54:50 AM PST
dwood78 says:
Rather than reissuing a previously released collection how about a collection of 12'' version of her best known stuff? I would love to have the extended version of "Who's That Girl."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 4:46:20 AM PST
club 7 says:
garrion:
celebration may have most of the songs but i like the flow of immaculate. i like the particular set up of the songs and it was my first madonna album too. not crazy about her post immaculate stuff except of confessions and ray of light. those 2 and in particular confessions are two of her best.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 11:46:34 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
That's a good point, about the flow of the album (and Immaculate was my first Madonna album too!). My problem with Immaculate Collection vs. Celebration is that the edits are all over the place on Immaculate. In particular, Celebration has the original album version of "Like a Prayer" instead of that awful remix used in the Blond Ambition Tour, which worked on a live show but not as an homage to one of the best moments of her career.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 11:51:04 AM PST
D. Mok says:
> The title track and "Express Yourself" are incredible and iconic songs, but the rest of the album is extremely weak, IMO.

Like a Prayer is her strongest album, hands down. "Cherish" is a bit dated, but "Spanish Eyes", "Oh Father" and "Till Death Do Us Part" rank among Madonna's best songs. The only difference is that Like a Prayer is less of a dance record and more rock.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 12:16:42 PM PST
Oh Garion, I'm so happy to hear someone else say Like a Prayer is overrated, lol. Not that I don't still love it - in fact the only "bad" Madonna record is Hard Candy, in my opinion - but if I were to rank my favorite M albums it definitely wouldn't crack my top 5. While a remaster would be welcome regardless, I'd like to see her 90's material spruced up a bit, since that's when I feel she peaked artistically.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 12:25:22 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
Agreed 100%. The 90's was without a doubt her most artistic and unique era. During that time, she set out to define pop music, not just follow the latest trends. I really wish she'd feel that spark again...I was expecting this kind of sound with MDNA, and while that's not a bad album, it doesn't have that sense of identity that all her other albums have (including Hard Candy).

As for Like a Prayer, it does get played occasionally, but I almost want to say I place it below Hard Candy, which is already near the bottom of my list. When I hear "Spanish Eyes" I cringe...like nails on a chalkboard. That album and I'm Breathless are definitely her worst when it comes to the quality of her vocals.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 12:27:54 PM PST
D. Mok says:
> The 90's was without a doubt her most artistic and unique era.

While I can't stand Ray of Light, I'd have to agree. Madonna did take some major risks in the '90s. Erotica was a major left turn, and taken right after her massive success with Dick Tracy, "Vogue", and "Justify My Love". That takes guts.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 12:30:30 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
Erotica was WAY ahead of its time when it released in 1992. It was fairly underappreciated, but nowadays most fans acknowledge it as a fantastic album. The accompanying Girlie Show tour was flawless, and made that album seem even more artistic. With Ray of Light and Music, she pretty much made the careers of William Orbit and Mirwais.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 4:46:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 4:48:21 PM PST
B. rogers says:
Ahhhh yes...the original album version is vastly superior to the remix. They were playing that horrible remix on the radio before the Blonde Ambition Tour was close to happening(if I remember correctly). One of the things that was most beautiful about "Like A Prayer" was the vast, open and epic production. That remix compressed everything...I forgot that "Immaculate Collection" had that version.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 4:56:49 PM PST
B. rogers says:
Different strokes, I guess. I personally LOVE the way her voice sounds on "I'm Breathless" and "Like A Prayer". Her style of singing from "Ray Of Light" and after leaves me cold.

RE:"As for Like a Prayer, it does get played occasionally, but I almost want to say I place it below Hard Candy, which is already near the bottom of my list. When I hear "Spanish Eyes" I cringe...like nails on a chalkboard. That album and I'm Breathless are definitely her worst when it comes to the quality of her vocals."

You would place the electronically processed vocals over her natural voice that could be found on "Like A Prayer"?

P.S.-"Spanish Eyes" is beautiful.

;)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 7:42:42 AM PST
club 7 says:
garrion:
i think like a prayer needs a remaster but i have to say that like a prayer is worthy because it does include some personal songs like oh father that are to me are of extreme quality.
dear jessie is beautiful too and express yourself is one of her best dance songs.
i also love cherish as it's one of her most catchy and fun songs.
like a prayer to me was her most ambitious album up to that time and still one of her best though confessions for me kills it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 7:47:03 AM PST
club 7 says:
i too don't like the edits on immaculate especially borderline which is one of my faves but its a sentimental fave and a great collection minus the edits.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 12:06:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 12:07:08 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
"You would place the electronically processed vocals over her natural voice that could be found on "Like A Prayer"?"

Actually, yes. Madonna has never been a strong singer...it's always been about the whole package with her: adequate vocals, amazing performances, strong and smart production. Since 1996, after she got some vocal training for Evita, her natural voice has gotten MUCH better. Her live shows since 2001 and the entirety of the American Life album show that with minimal processing she can still sound good. On Like a Prayer and I'm Breathless, her voice was pretty flat.

By the way, I'm not saying that you're wrong or anything. I totally appreciate that people love Like a Prayer as much as they do, and everyone's entitled to their own opinion. ;)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  38
Initial post:  Dec 11, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 27, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions